Can no longer write to external SD (4.3)

Search This thread

ssmaster

Jan 22, 2011
Sometime after I installed safestrap and a second rom, I lost the ability to write or delete from my external SD card. It may have something to do with SAFESTRAP, or possibly an app called SDFix: KitKat Writable MicrosSD which I installed and may have ran in preparation for any type of KitKat update. Anyone have any ideas of what I may have done?

edit for more info : The weird thing is, it lets me go through the motions to delete a movie file with say ES File Explorer, but when I reboot, the file is still there and I am able to watch the same exact file I thought I deleted. Also, if I set my camera to write external, it seems like it works, but when I reboot, the files aren't there anymore. Luckily the few pictures I tried taking like that were uploaded to my dropbox before I reboot..... Also, if I create a new folder and paste a file into there, the folder won't be there when I reboot. Also, it seems like my titanium backup files aren't updating, they all seem to be dated February 28 and they won't update even though it goes through the entire backup process!

Last edited:

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Sometime after I installed safestrap and a second rom, I lost the ability to write or delete from my external SD card. It may have something to do with SAFESTRAP, or possibly an app called SDFix: KitKat Writable MicrosSD which I installed and may have ran in preparation for any type of KitKat update. Anyone have any ideas of what I may have done?

Have you tried taking the card out and seeing if it works properly on a computer?

ssmaster

Jan 22, 2011
Have you tried taking the card out and seeing if it works properly on a computer?

That is a good idea. I'll try once my co-worker comes back from lunch so I can borrow their microsd-usb adapter. The weird thing is, it lets me go through the motions to delete a movie file with say ES File Explorer, but when I reboot, the file is still there. I am able to watch the same exact file I thought I deleted. Also, if I set my camera to write external, it seems like it works, but when I reboot, the files aren't there anymore. Luckily the few pictures I tried taking like that were uploaded to my dropbox before I reboot.....

ssmaster

Jan 22, 2011
The card is an 64GB Sandisk, and the computer won't recognize it, I believe because of the way it is formatted. When I get home, I will try to connect via USB 3.0 and see if I can dump everything to my PC and go from there....

ssmaster

Jan 22, 2011
uhh ohh, its a VDI virtual system, and it says this card needs to be formatted before windows can recognize it....

ssmaster

Jan 22, 2011
I am copying everything over to my PC over USB. I will try the card in a card reader to see what can be done. If I format it, and if it works after format, should I have confidence that the card won't crap out on me in the future¿???

ssmaster

Jan 22, 2011
I am finally able to format it using a slow format in Windows 7, lets see if it works...

Nope, still broken with all previous files in tact.

Last edited:

nickgordi

Jan 20, 2009
Philadelphia
I'm having the exact same issue and I bet others are too. At first I thought it was something to do with an ESexplorer update since I never happened before it, but I've deleted ES and tried many other file managers/explorers and still have it happen. Someone has to know how to fix this.

TroyLeeWells

Oct 23, 2013
I'm having the exact same issue and I bet others are too. At first I thought it was something to do with an ESexplorer update since I never happened before it, but I've deleted ES and tried many other file managers/explorers and still have it happen. Someone has to know how to fix this.

I had the same issue with the same card. After a lot of research I found that my SD card had somehow become locked...I know...WHAT? My sd card is looked with no way to unlock it. I can view files on it but i cannot add files or delete from the card.

I emailed Sandisk asking them if they had a solution but I never heard back from them

I have tried every solution that I have found and none have worked...

Reactions: nickgordi
I've gone through 6 San disk 64gb class 10 cards between my Note 2 and Note 3 with my last cropping out 2 weeks ago. San disk will replace your card and tell you to contact the phone manufacturer. I did that contacted Samsung...at 1st I got the run around but I was persistent and got a hold of a good tech support agent. Samsung phones have issues writing info to the 64gb class 10 cards. They are aware of the issue and are working on a fix as of 2-3months ago. He told me the will work fine. He said they don't recommend over 32gb and a class 4 card because of the stability issues of files being corrupted on class 10s particularly 64gb 1s. Funny thing is i called San Disk back and told them what i was told and asked for a 32gb lower class and he told me i could buy it buy they could only replace it with the same one i had. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

acdnykon

Dec 13, 2011
Orlando
www.google.com
You know this is not the first time that I've heard of this. I actually had a 10s 32Gig SanDisk micro that I ended up losing because of this problem with my Galaxy S3. I got to work one day and set my phone down on the desk and it just seeming stopped working. I don't know what it is with the 10 series cards but it seems like they all have some kind of problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I had the same issue with the same card. After a lot of research I found that my SD card had somehow become locked...I know...WHAT? My sd card is looked with no way to unlock it. I can view files on it but i cannot add files or delete from the card.

I emailed Sandisk asking them if they had a solution but I never heard back from them

I have tried every solution that I have found and none have worked...
    I've gone through 6 San disk 64gb class 10 cards between my Note 2 and Note 3 with my last cropping out 2 weeks ago. San disk will replace your card and tell you to contact the phone manufacturer. I did that contacted Samsung...at 1st I got the run around but I was persistent and got a hold of a good tech support agent. Samsung phones have issues writing info to the 64gb class 10 cards. They are aware of the issue and are working on a fix as of 2-3months ago. He told me the will work fine. He said they don't recommend over 32gb and a class 4 card because of the stability issues of files being corrupted on class 10s particularly 64gb 1s. Funny thing is i called San Disk back and told them what i was told and asked for a 32gb lower class and he told me i could buy it buy they could only replace it with the same one i had. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    You know this is not the first time that I've heard of this. I actually had a 10s 32Gig SanDisk micro that I ended up losing because of this problem with my Galaxy S3. I got to work one day and set my phone down on the desk and it just seeming stopped working. I don't know what it is with the 10 series cards but it seems like they all have some kind of problem.