Nexus 5 sometimes refuses to charge

Search This thread

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
So my Nexus 5 sometimes won't charge. For example, I plug it in at 5%, and after an hour, it is still at 5% or lower ,often even at 0%, so when I unplug it, it instantly turns off. Sometimes it charges fine to something like 20%, then it stops and battery slowly starts to discharge. There are days when it's perfect, absolutely no trouble. I should also mention that when it charges normally, the charger plug is warm-hot, when it doesn't charge, it's cold.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

D

Darth

It's hardware. Either the cable, the charger, or the phones mini USB port.

Try a different charger and cable for starters.

rafmjz

Mar 3, 2012
San Salvador
So my Nexus 5 sometimes won't charge. For example, I plug it in at 5%, and after an hour, it is still at 5% or lower ,often even at 0%, so when I unplug it, it instantly turns off. Sometimes it charges fine to something like 20%, then it stops and battery slowly starts to discharge. There are days when it's perfect, absolutely no trouble. I should also mention that when it charges normally, the charger plug is warm-hot, when it doesn't charge, it's cold.

Its the hardware, maybe the battery or something and its also happening to LG G2 (N5 brother), so LG's faults.

But Google posted oficcially some ways to fix it, you only need to power off the phone and plug it. Wait 30 minutes and then turn it on again, leave it charging and this time probably works.

It doesn't happen to often, but when it does, its really annoying.

badboy47

Nov 23, 2009
I remember having this issue but only with wireless charging. Seems like an issue with the wire.

hotweiss

Jun 17, 2009
Warsaw
I had this issue with my Galaxy Note. It was actually a faulty chip on the motherboard that was causing my charging problems... None the less, I would first check your cable and then the micro USB port.

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
I have 3 chargers and 2 USB cables, tried all the possible combinations, nothing. What should I look for about the USB port?

D

Darth

I have 3 chargers and 2 USB cables, tried all the possible combinations, nothing. What should I look for about the USB port?

My 5 year old daughters Galaxy tab 3 is the same. I can tell the plastic part of the mini USB port is snapped. So only the wires are holding it together. It will charge... But only when it's laying on a stable surface, untouched and sometimes I have to wiggle it til it's charging, then leave it alone til it's done.

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
Does it say it's charging? For me, even if it isn't charging but is plugged in, it says "Charging (AC)".

D

Darth

Yeah, our tab makes the plug in noise over and over til it's good.

But just cause it says it's charging doesn't mean every pin is making proper contact with the charger or device.

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
I cleaned the phone's USB port with a toothpick and compressed air and so far, it's working all right again.

Reactions: bblzd

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
Oh well, it's doing that again. Charged 80% in 7 hours. Cleaning USB port didn't help.

chaco81

Sep 28, 2010
OH
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
my N5 does this but with wireless charging..

sometimes i put it on when i go to bed, and i know it starts charging
in the AM i see its lower ... checking the batt stats it shows that it charged for a few mins then stopped

dunno yet whats up, it happens sporadically.

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
Any chance software could cause this? Rolling back to 4.4/4.4.x or resetting factory settings would help?

chaco81

Sep 28, 2010
OH
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Any chance software could cause this? Rolling back to 4.4/4.4.x or resetting factory settings would help?

that could be next step.

if a factory reset doesnt help, then u have a hardware problem. Does the batt info says "healthy" or "good" for the battery?
have u tried using a toothpick to ensure all usb pins are clean of dust?

maybe u can get another battery and change it... if a cell is going bad inside the batt it can do that too

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
that could be next step.

if a factory reset doesnt help, then u have a hardware problem. Does the batt info says "healthy" or "good" for the battery?
have u tried using a toothpick to ensure all usb pins are clean of dust?

maybe u can get another battery and change it... if a cell is going bad inside the batt it can do that too
Where can I see battery info?
I have 1.5yrs of warranty left, there's no point for me to try and change the battery on my own.

kaspar737

Jul 24, 2011
Today it didn't charge, so I decided to restart. When I had just powered off, a fully charged battery icon came on the screen and stayed for about 15 seconds. Then the screen flashes black and started showing the charging battery icon.
Anyways, I am going to flash the phone back to stock when I have time, if that doesn't help then it's going back for repairs.

cvin88

Sep 29, 2014
This has happened to me months ago and I tried everything. Turned off my phone to charge, tried different cables...nothing worked.

Then I started charging my phone with a blackberry charger and it has been successfully charging my phone ever since. And it charges faster than the original charger. When you plug the charger into the phone, it's very solid, whereas the original charger is somewhat flimsy. Not sure if that may be the case. But that's what I did!

Hope this helped!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I cleaned the phone's USB port with a toothpick and compressed air and so far, it's working all right again.