FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

changeScreen v2.78! -- (screen rotation app)

795 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By 600GOL, Senior Member on 3rd January 2009, 04:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
31st May 2009, 04:05 PM |#491  
OP Senior Member
nyc

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snufkin

Hi 600GOL,

Great work!! Using latest 2.77,

- fdc Task Manager: still keep scanning the process....
- Sensitivity bar: still no significant change at my diamond. maybe my diamond issue??
- if only one orientation is set as exception, in previous version, the screen is rotated automatically regardless of the orientation of the phone. for this new release, i found that i need to rotate the phone to that particular orientation in order to make the screen rotate. once rotated, the screen keeps the same orientation: problem solved!!

Yeah... I can't believe I left that out. I re-wrote the whole inner workings of the app so I guess I just forgot to copy and paste that little bit of code! Anyway, glad its working now...

I really don't know why the sensitivity bar isn't working for you. Anyone else have this issue. If you put it all the way to the right and click Save there should be a noticable delay in the rotation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpersa1

That one still doesn't work for me (ver. 2.77) When I launch Garmin, It should automatically go into landscape mode, but it doesnt. I have to rotate screen first.
It worked on v2.76

Can you try the same thing with another app? Just so we can see if its an issue just with that particular app? Let me know what happens.
31st May 2009, 04:18 PM |#492  
OP Senior Member
nyc

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraize

Alright! Thanks!
I'm trying to see if it does it with other roms as well or maybe it was another program.

Cool, let me know what happens...

Quote:

Actually, I meant to be able to make it more sensitive, not more options. I meant like make it's max more. So it only goes to a certain sensitivity to the left, could you make it more sensitive? Not more options. I hope you know what I mean.

Well, like I said... the max sensitivity is set (by my research & trial and error) at 250ms. So basically the app checks for a change in rotation 4 times a second! When I was testing - even checking 100 times a second did not make the app any faster than checking 4 times a second - and it drained the battery a lot quicker!

I guess the only reason I put this option in was becuase some people felt like when they tilted the device to the left that it would rotate too quick, even when they didn't really rotate the device (ie: tilted it a little by accident). Then they would have to wait a couple of seconds before the device would rotate the screen back to portrait. For all those people, if they set the sensitivity bar up to say the 2nd stop point, it will help the situation with the device rotating too quickly.

Anyway - in changeScreen, by default has the fastest rotation time I could have possible pre-configured for you all.

Sorry if I still didn't get what you meant by make it's max more. Writing & reading is not really the best way to express your ideas. Let me know if I got it wrong and i'll try again...

Quote:

No problem. I love this app and enjoy helping you make it better than it already is.

Happy to hear that. You've been around since the start of the app. Its good to see you are still here following the development so closely!
31st May 2009, 05:43 PM |#493  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 50

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600GOL

Well, like I said... the max sensitivity is set (by my research & trial and error) at 250ms. So basically the app checks for a change in rotation 4 times a second! When I was testing - even checking 100 times a second did not make the app any faster than checking 4 times a second - and it drained the battery a lot quicker!

Oh! I totally misunderstood you! I thought by 250ms you meant polling interval, but I then thought of polling interval as something that doesn't relate to the sensitivity. My bad. I totally agree, writing is not the best way to express your ideas.
31st May 2009, 09:01 PM |#494  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Can you try the same thing with another app? Just so we can see if its an issue just with that particular app? Let me know what happens.

Hi,

i've tested another application, and results are the same.

I tried to:
- Completely remove application
- Reinstall application and reset it to defaults
- import backup (after that, i've tried to enable application but it crashed every time, even after soft reset, so no luck here )
- add new exception, but still didn't work..

Another interesting thing. When I add for ex. Garmin to exception list (landscape mode only), I turns it only by turning phone (like said before). When I exit Garmin, it turns to landscape my MobileShell, which is in exception list for portrait mode only...

I must say, it all worked on v. 2,76, but I had some problems with that version too...
ex: I've started typing new message in landscape mode. When i putted my phone (still in landscape position) onto its back (facing up) it switched application into portrait mode. So I always had to keep phone still in landscape position (90° +- approx. 5-8° into portrait's direction and approx. 1-5° into facing up position) to keep it landscape....

That's about it, sorry for my bad english

And again, very cool application indeed.
My phone: HTC touch HD...
31st May 2009, 10:14 PM |#495  
Flag Hampshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by snufkin

- if only one orientation is set as exception, in previous version, the screen is rotated automatically regardless of the orientation of the phone. for this new release, i found that i need to rotate the phone to that particular orientation in order to make the screen rotate. once rotated, the screen keeps the same orientation: problem solved!!

Quote:

Yeah... I can't believe I left that out. I re-wrote the whole inner workings of the app so I guess I just forgot to copy and paste that little bit of code! Anyway, glad its working now...

This is a fantastic application (I have tried all the other rotation programs and for me ChangeScreen is by far the best!)

I still have the problem described by snufkin. I have an Exception set to only run TomTom in landscape. In earlier versions of ChangeScreen, it didn't matter what orientation my Touch HD was in when I started TomTom, the phone would change to landscape before starting TomTom (which is exactly what I wanted). With V2.77, TomTom starts in whatever orientation the phone is in at the time (and if it's portrait, I can only change to landscape by exiting TomTom, rotating the phone to landscape, and then restarting TomTom - which is a pain).
1st June 2009, 01:08 AM |#496  
OP Senior Member
nyc

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpersa1

Hi,

i've tested another application, and results are the same.

I tried to:
- Completely remove application
- Reinstall application and reset it to defaults
- import backup (after that, i've tried to enable application but it crashed every time, even after soft reset, so no luck here )
- add new exception, but still didn't work..

Another interesting thing. When I add for ex. Garmin to exception list (landscape mode only), I turns it only by turning phone (like said before). When I exit Garmin, it turns to landscape my MobileShell, which is in exception list for portrait mode only...

I must say, it all worked on v. 2,76, but I had some problems with that version too...
ex: I've started typing new message in landscape mode. When i putted my phone (still in landscape position) onto its back (facing up) it switched application into portrait mode. So I always had to keep phone still in landscape position (90° +- approx. 5-8° into portrait's direction and approx. 1-5° into facing up position) to keep it landscape....

That's about it, sorry for my bad english

And again, very cool application indeed.
My phone: HTC touch HD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip

This is a fantastic application (I have tried all the other rotation programs and for me ChangeScreen is by far the best!)

I still have the problem described by snufkin. I have an Exception set to only run TomTom in landscape. In earlier versions of ChangeScreen, it didn't matter what orientation my Touch HD was in when I started TomTom, the phone would change to landscape before starting TomTom (which is exactly what I wanted). With V2.77, TomTom starts in whatever orientation the phone is in at the time (and if it's portrait, I can only change to landscape by exiting TomTom, rotating the phone to landscape, and then restarting TomTom - which is a pain).

I'll look into these issues when I get the chance (hopefully tomorrow). It all works fine on my device tho (which is a Touch Pro) so its a little weird why it'd be giving you trouble. I'll see what I can do and get back to you...
1st June 2009, 03:46 PM |#497  
Flag Deutschland
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Hey 600GOL

great work, thank you!
1st June 2009, 05:11 PM |#498  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm using S2U2 and I've set it so that it's only on portrait.
However, sometimes it'll show it on landscape. I'll then make it go portrait and it works fine. But after I slide to unlock, it'll lock itself again as if there were two unlock-to-slide screens.

This usually happens if i get a text/incoming call and I turned off the screen while it's still in landscape mode. Not a big issue. Works great otherwise. Thanks!
1st June 2009, 06:48 PM |#499  
Flag Philladelphia,Pa
Thanks Meter: 213

Donate to Me
More
thanks for the app
1st June 2009, 07:07 PM |#500  
Thanks Meter: 1

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up Nice application.
Nice application!
and Thanks you verrry much for sharing it.
1st June 2009, 07:53 PM |#501  
Flag Hampshire, UK
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip

Just to let everybody know that the problem I have been having with TomTom has resolved itself - it now always starts in Landscape regardless of the orientation of the phone. Not sure why it didn't before (perhaps I hadn't waited long enough, or it needed a soft reset?)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)