Recommendation: fastest and most stable Micro SD card?

Search This thread

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
I am looking for recommendation for a 32Gb Micro SD card that is the fastest and most stable for use in the AT&T Note.

Currently I have the following but they're not good:
- Kingston 8GB Class 6: REALLY slow - tansfer rate below 1 Mbps
- Transcend 32GB Class 4: slow - transfer rate about 2-3 Mbps

Both were bought from Amazon and as you can see, even a Class 6 MicroSD can have lower performance than Class 4, depending on the manufacturer.

You can check your MicroSD card speed using this tool from Google Play. The screenshot from that app shows some insane card speed, as shown below:

ODA3-GzhpVy8LOen6E-8BAzojTI7uTo65YJYUIxzErZFcobZmKiW5r9v1FUJGuWkI713

YZfJfqIyqEtEtG3EzKuVv_DlQyZcvP2BpG9J0lFVSvZM2Ce5dTQKeiP0dRTPNhMPVwk

Reactions: Vincent003

s1mpd1ddy

Feb 24, 2011
I have a Samsung class 10.... it used to get close to 10 MB write speeds but has since deteriorated to 6mb/s. Wish I knew why

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

ajsam4u

Dec 23, 2010
New York
I am looking for recommendation for a 32Gb Micro SD card that is the fastest and most stable for use in the AT&T Note.

Both were bought from Amazon and as you can see, even a Class 6 MicroSD can have lower performance than Class 4, depending on the manufacturer.

You can check your MicroSD card speed using this tool from Google Play. The screenshot from that app shows some insane card speed, as shown below:

The best ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-microSD-High-Speed-32GB-MB-MSBGA-US-Memory-Card-/190685974016?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item2c65c50e00#ht_4560wt_1139

Reactions: lanwarrior

Scythe024

Nov 14, 2011
Samsung 32gb class 10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1338749950087.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1338749950087.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,235

Z_Black

May 13, 2011
www.zlbphotography.com
These are the same SD card. A Polaroid class 10 that was on sale the other day. This is the link for the card.

This was my first test taken a few ago.
44ba18cd-c4ca-47d5.jpg

This was taken right after on same sd card.
44ba18cd-c4f3-fac4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Thanks all for the recommendation and the screenshot!

Looks like Samsung and Polaroid CLASS 10 is the way to go. I will research the price and buy on of these.

By the way, a friend of mine recommended the NEW Sandisk SDXC. They seems to be more expensive, but if the performance is similar to regular MicroSD, what will be the advantage?

Z_Black

May 13, 2011
www.zlbphotography.com
I think most any class 10 will provide similar results. There are some that guarantee certain speeds, and they may be better performers, but you'll often pay a bit more. The class refers to the speed, most manufacturers will report their best case scenarios to qualify for a higher class rating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating So you'll find some class 10's do out perform others and such.

SDXC just refers to the capacity the cards can support. I believe SDXC supports up to 2tb vs SDHC is up to 32gb. (there are other technical factors too)

Just be sure that it is indeed a MicroSD card, and not just a normal SD card.

Last edited:

Ausmike

Jun 2, 2011
NYC
Got mine @ buy.com website -
32GB , Class 6 for $19.90 + free ship ( came via post)
( dont remember which supplier )

Just used the above testing ( was curious)

Got speeds = write = 10.3 reading = 14.4

So gota be worth it > not sure 64Gb (1$ per GB)is worth the money @ moment

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Got mine @ buy.com website -
32GB , Class 6 for $19.90 + free ship ( came via post)
( dont remember which supplier )

Just used the above testing ( was curious)

Got speeds = write = 10.3 reading = 14.4

So gota be worth it > not sure 64Gb (1$ per GB)is worth the money @ moment

Is this for SDXC or normal Class 10? What brand?

xoagray

Jan 8, 2012
Melbourne, FL
Samsung Essential

Is this for SDXC or normal Class 10? What brand?

Not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I just did this test on my phone with my 32gig Samsung Essential MicroSD card. I've owned it for a couple months now and as far as I can tell it's been rock solid.

Read speed was 9.7mbps

Wtite speed was 22.4mbps

Best part, it was only like $30 on NewEgg. Great deal for a class 10 card. :)

Cab121

Oct 13, 2011
Dallas
Not to further complicate things. There is another notable rating
Class 10 UHS-1
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-micro...DSDQUA-032G-U46A/dp/B007XZM6VG/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

Class 10 SDHC
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Mobil...51467765&sr=1-3&keywords=class+10+micro+sd+64

Pay close attention to the little symbol that indicates its rating. Don't be fooled by a lower value. The shape around it indicates a type.
So whats the deal? I have an answer for you. This ever confusing class and rating jargon can best be cleared up from the horses mouth.
Behold the SD Association and its wonderfully CLEAR explanation.
Yup its real. They are responsible for a great many things in the memory world. They even have provided all of us with the best SD format tool we can get our hands on for free. Because they know there SD stuff that's why!

So back to the ratings. I personally have not ever tested a UHS class SD in our device or any other phone for that matter. Based on this quote "UHS (Ultra High Speed), the fastest performance category available today, defines bus-interface speeds up to 312 Megabytes per second for greater device performance. It is available on SDXC and SDHC memory cards and devices." I would love to know if anyone has successfully used one.

Cab121

Oct 13, 2011
Dallas
Weeeeellllll I ordered a 64gig UHS-1 from Sandisk.
Seems the research I did supports Android and mobile OS use very well. So ill give it a go and post some results when it arrives.

madman604

Jul 14, 2007
Can't go wrong with Sandisk. And our devices support up to and including 64GB. Note: don't buy from eBay.

Sent from a phone that's Note-worthy, via XDA Premium HD app.

Weeeeellllll I ordered a 64gig UHS-1 from Sandisk.
Seems the research I did supports Android and mobile OS use very well. So ill give it a go and post some results when it arrives.

I can only assume that you never received it. Where did you order it from, so I know to never order from there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

tenchi71

May 10, 2007
Wiesbaden
Careful with the SanDisk UH devices... My 32gb SanDisk UH-1, bought from amazon and in retail packaging, was a pain in my Note from day one. The problem got worse over time... at first i thought it was just JB roms, not hardware. It constantly caused reboots, would unmount itself, and was slow, no matter which ROM was installed. After 3 months, it died last week... it mounts/dismounts every second it seem, even in my Mac or PC. Put in for an RMA with SanDisk... we'll see how that goes.
My old 16gb class 6 Transcend works great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

skinblues

Nov 16, 2009
I'm consistently getting 8 MB/s Write and 35 MB/s Read in SD Tools. That read speed seems crazy-high for such an old card. I'm using a Class 6 A-Data card that I originally bought for my HTC Magic over 3 years ago. Not sure if it's random or sequential, though. I imagine that random is much more important wrt apparent speed browsing through things like photo albums and music folders.

EDIT: haha, OK so apparently you have to go into the root of your external SD card to get actual results. 8/18 on the AData :(

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The best ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-microSD-High-Speed-32GB-MB-MSBGA-US-Memory-Card-/190685974016?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item2c65c50e00#ht_4560wt_1139
    Samsung 32gb class 10

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA
    These are the same SD card. A Polaroid class 10 that was on sale the other day. This is the link for the card.

This was my first test taken a few ago.
    44ba18cd-c4ca-47d5.jpg

This was taken right after on same sd card.
    44ba18cd-c4f3-fac4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    I think most any class 10 will provide similar results. There are some that guarantee certain speeds, and they may be better performers, but you'll often pay a bit more. The class refers to the speed, most manufacturers will report their best case scenarios to qualify for a higher class rating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating So you'll find some class 10's do out perform others and such.

SDXC just refers to the capacity the cards can support. I believe SDXC supports up to 2tb vs SDHC is up to 32gb. (there are other technical factors too)

Just be sure that it is indeed a MicroSD card, and not just a normal SD card.