SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

Search This thread

server5

Mar 18, 2008
My 32GB class10 A-Data SD card went 'bad' or self corrupted on my stock SGNote2 after 50% of the card was filled. I did not have a backup or cloud setup. The card was used for about a year without incident and never removed or unmounted. The only thing that changed was upgrading to v4.3 unrooted.

This is the second time this card failed. First in my car's usb mp3 reader, and now on my note2! One card was 16gb and the other 32.

So after reading through the entire thread and considering all the differing theories, one theory has not been mentioned. COUNTERFEIT MEMORY.

I remember watching a documentary on tv about the military receiving COUNTERFEIT memory chips sourced directly from the manufacturer! This is a huge problem because consumers are clueless. By the time you purchase, use, experience a problem, enough time has passed and most people just figure that the hardware was the cause or just toss it out and buy a new card. And the cycle continues. The problem is so bad because the pakaging is perfect and you would never guess. From my own experience, most fail after half the capacity is used. Most people who buy 32Gb slowly fill them up, but if you tried to fill the card to capacity when new you would know soon enough... genuine or counterfeit. The problem of self dismounting cards might be unrelated to counterfeit cards but this problem is not going to go away.

A new protocol is needed for memory manufacturers that allows the consumer know 100% that the product they buy are real and not real crap!

After trying three different software recovery apps, i have concluded that this is a hardware recovery only option. I am now considering a recovery service that is not cheap!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jrzsaT6ls

creepers28

Sep 11, 2010
any solutions?

Been trying follow the whole thread....

Please correct me if I missed anything ...

All these possibilities has been discussed but none concluded to be the root issue

- SD card (Sandisk, Kingston, PE etc) manufacturer problem
- Loose micro ribbon/adapter connecting SD card
- Samsung Android screen wake up (code issue)
- Internal Android issue
- Depending on type of files stored
- Digital Rights Management

I am beginning to think that that this is Google, Dropbox, Samsung and all the other Big Player's master plan to force us to use their 'CLOUD' vs external storage.

Possible Fix(s)

*All of which either does not work or miraculously worked for some*

- Insert folded paper with SD card (making it tighter to hold)
- switch on protect SD card under developer options
- settings > storage > Unmount card and mount it back on
- Format card
- Change to FAT32/ExFat
- Factory reset phone
- Restart phone
- Throw phone on the floor and stomp on it
- Burn it and watch it depart to hell
- Call Samsung 1-800 and hear them bulls**t you saying it's not my problem, I've already made my money
- Call Google and get no response
- Vent on XDA and get no replies

Above all choose Peace and Love and sleep peacefully like a baby!

Last edited:
Reactions: randasecret

totolagrutta

Jan 23, 2014
Ive noticed mine works if I push it all the way in and hold it there with my finger but thats obviously not a solution lol.

I guess ill try the paper method, anything else that could be possibly tightened up to help?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

creepers28

Sep 11, 2010
Got it!

:D So here is what I did and it is working ... so far 2 days and counting, would update if problem comes back or persists.

Go to Settings > Developer Options and scroll all the way down to Do not keep activities and put a check mark there. And additionally Limit background processes .... I selected no background processes but you can play around to set to your needs.

It's working and I hope the problem does not arise again. I'm currently using a scandisk 64 gb card with all sorts of media files. (mp3,mp4,jpg,gif,pdf and so on)

creepers28

Sep 11, 2010
:D So here is what I did and it is working ... so far 2 days and counting, would update if problem comes back or persists.

Go to Settings > Developer Options and scroll all the way down to Do not keep activities and put a check mark there. And additionally Limit background processes .... I selected no background processes but you can play around to set to your needs.

It's working and I hope the problem does not arise again. I'm currently using a scandisk 64 gb card with all sorts of media files. (mp3,mp4,jpg,gif,pdf and so on)

.... Problem is back...

I restarted my phone for an unrelated issue. And BOOM*** the problem came back from the grave. Now it's very random with the settings I recommended. It works and sometime goes out. It's not as bad as before but yet not permanently gone...

Stopfakn

Nov 21, 2011
Baltimore
Didn't want to start a new thread. I'm having a weird issue. I take picture or video, it saves to gallery just fine but when I open gallery I see corrupted images. It says unsupported files. Any help?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

ThePooBurner

Dec 5, 2012
Samsung Galaxy A20
I am also having an odd issue. I downloaded a DPI changer app from the play store, changed my DPI to 270, rebooted, saw it caused problems with certain things, changed it back, rebooted, and now the SD card claims to be unformatted. I tried rebooting again; powering off, taking card out, powering on, powering off, putting card back in; but neither of those worked, so i took the card out to be safe. i'm hoping i haven't lost anything from the card. It had my backups on it. It's a 64gb SanDisk Ultra XC card. It's been in the phone without any issue for a year. Any advice? the program used was texdroider_dpi.

creepers28

Sep 11, 2010
makes me wonder.... :confused:

Same 64gb Sandisk card that my GN2 wouldn't read but did read after developer options (per my instructions above post) changes... didn't in my old Note 1. It said blank card. Since then I've sold my GN2 and got Sony Ultra Z and it reads the same card just fine. No issues.

kruzae

Jul 10, 2012
sandisk 32gb

Just wanna report my sandisk 32gb red gray had the same problem. I think this particular card is not compatible with our note 2. Right now I'm considering another brand.

Dejaaaan

Jan 8, 2012
I had the same problem on Alcatel POP C5 with Kingstone 8GB micro sd class 10 card. First i thought that the problem was with the phone. Then after replacing whit another, borrowed card, the phone was working normal again, so i concluded that it was the bad sd card.

Using Wake Lock - PowerManager with PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK enabled did solve the problem, partialy. I wanted the permanent solution so i keep trying to solve the problem.

The first time I realized the card was unmounting, when phone was on standby, was this summer when outside temperatures excided 35°C. I thought if hot temperature coused the problem it might be also the solution to it.

First i took my soldering iron and heat all micro sd card metal contacts for approximately 10 seconds. After that the phone was not unmounting the card for 20-30 minutes, but than it started showing error messages again. Then i heated each contact, once more, for 2 minutes. The card was too hot to touch it with my hand, and I was worried not to melt the plastic. After that intervention the card did not melt, all of the data was still on it and the card is working in my phone for 2 days now, without unmounting.

I hope that this is a permanet solution and that will help someone else too.

Just to say that I am not responsible if someone damage their card or data attempting to do this. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have 3 different 32GB MicroSD cards -- Kingston Class 4, Patriot Class 4, and SanDisk UHS Class 10 (red/grey). I also have the Note 2 and my wife has the S3.

The problem seems to be a combination of Samsung's MicroSD slot and SanDisk's super thin MicroSD cards. Both the Patriot and Kingston 32GB MicroSD cards are noticeably thicker (almost 2x) and both fit more firmly in my Note 2' and S3's MicroSD slots.

I also have the same problem when using only the SanDisk MicroSD card in my multi-slot card reader. I get card not inserted errors as well as cyclical redundancy errors, misc write errors, etc. This card reader was not cheap and I paid good money for it because I use it for semi-pro digital photography -- I cannot have a card reader messing up my photos. I purchased my SanDisk MicrosSD card with a full sized SD adapter (just because that's the one that was the best deal). Guess what -- the SanDisk MicroSD card formats, reads, and writes perfectly fine when using the full sized SD adapter in the same card reader. Neither the Patriot nor Kingston MicroSD cards will fit in the SanDisk full-sized SD adapter, so clearly this SD adapter's slot is specifically designed for the significantly thinner SanDisk MicroSD cards.

So, I think the problem is that SanDisk made their newer MicroSD cards too thin, so they're not making constant, proper contact inside Samsung's card slots (and my card reader). My Acer A500 tablet has a better designed card slot so (at least so far) the SanDisk MicroSD card isn't giving me any problems in it. Likewise, my Patriot Class 4 card that's now in my Note 2 is not exhibiting any of these problems because it's a thicker card so my Note 2 (so far) seems happier with it.

Anyway, that's my current theory. I wonder if there are any other memory manufacturers who thinning up their card designs? So far, it's just been SanDisk that I've encountered this. Seems like most of the people here on this thread are also having problems with just the SanDisk cards.
    Hope this helps, but I've used many different brands of miniSD cards and particularly with SanDisk brand, it is best to just put it straight into your phone without reformatting. I have the Note 2, SIII and my wife the SIII. Both SIII's are using the same SanDisk 64GB Class 10 card.

With my phone I put the SanDisk straight into my phone without reformatting. However, on my wife's phone I reformatted (Fat32) on the PC and reformatted once in the phone. Her SD card started acting up.

Contrary to what many people thought including myself, I thought the cards usually all came in Fat32...however, I come to find out the SanDisk's come formatted in exFat, which was a complete SERIOUS?! moment for me. I guess the 'newestest' phones like the Note 2 are exFat friendly?

So my theory is with SanDisk, just leave it alone and put in the SD as is. (For newer phones) I can think of a hand full of reasons of why I think SanDisk's crap out if formatted, but I'll leave the speculation to rest.

Good Luck!

(btw: The best cards I've used are by far Samsung, PNY and A-Data. What they all have in common is that the chip component itself is all made in Korea. Well obviously Samsung is Korean...but I'm referring to PNY and A-Data.)

Cheers

What I have noticed is that most people having issues have a 32gig SanDisk. I am using a SanDisk 64gig (class 10) and haven't had any problems. I took the card out of the packaging and inserted it into my phone. No formatting.. I am stock/rooted with only a little bloat removed.

**EDIT**
    I forgot to mention that my sdcard was for Android Phones. It had the Android Robot on the packaging ect.
    any solutions?

Been trying follow the whole thread....

Please correct me if I missed anything ...

All these possibilities has been discussed but none concluded to be the root issue

- SD card (Sandisk, Kingston, PE etc) manufacturer problem
    - Loose micro ribbon/adapter connecting SD card
    - Samsung Android screen wake up (code issue)
    - Internal Android issue
    - Depending on type of files stored
    - Digital Rights Management

I am beginning to think that that this is Google, Dropbox, Samsung and all the other Big Player's master plan to force us to use their 'CLOUD' vs external storage.

Possible Fix(s)

*All of which either does not work or miraculously worked for some*

- Insert folded paper with SD card (making it tighter to hold)
    - switch on protect SD card under developer options
    - settings > storage > Unmount card and mount it back on
    - Format card
    - Change to FAT32/ExFat
    - Factory reset phone
    - Restart phone
    - Throw phone on the floor and stomp on it
    - Burn it and watch it depart to hell
    - Call Samsung 1-800 and hear them bulls**t you saying it's not my problem, I've already made my money
    - Call Google and get no response
    - Vent on XDA and get no replies

Above all choose Peace and Love and sleep peacefully like a baby!
    I'm just gonna throw this out there... It kinda seems like the latest Samsung phones are happily corrupting SD cards right and left. Now, maybe some cards are more susceptible to this, but the fact remains that this is not just anecdotal anymore. We need to get the various phone groups that are seeing this issue to band together and contact Samsung for a fix.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    Mine worked fine for a while, too. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think the phone did something to it. The reason I think this is simple. I have had many devices with SD cards in them, and never have I had one go bad. This phone was using a card that I had used for months before in another phone, and within a month the card was bad. When I looked online, I found hundreds of cases of the same issue, mostly with Samsung S3 and GN2 phones. It seems too much to be a coincidence.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app