[ROM] Archos ICS Firmware 4.0.6(4.0.3) - ROOT Version - only for enabled SDE !

Search This thread

android.i.am

May 8, 2012
Central Oregon
Hi!

On Honeycomb & ICS , you can not install app on sdcard !

Hi, 1st time poster here - just got my Archos 80 G9 Classic (8GB, 1GHz) this week & by following all the instructions on this forum, I was able to root my tablet successfully to ICS 4.0.6 (much thanks to surdu_petru, Shano56, & all other experts in various threads).

Although I'm no tech wizard, I just want to contribute a little something to the discussion here: I found an app called Link2SD (in Google Play Market) that allows me to move various apps' system files to the microSD card (called "linking") - it's not a total app move-to-SD but it does free up quite a bit of your internal memory. You would need to create a 2nd FAT32 partition on your microSD (I used "Minitool Partition Wizard" on my WinXP pc to do so) then use this Link2SD app.

Good luck.

Reactions: surdu_petru

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
Hi, 1st time poster here - just got my Archos 80 G9 Classic (8GB, 1GHz) this week & by following all the instructions on this forum, I was able to root my tablet successfully to ICS 4.0.6 (much thanks to surdu_petru, Shano56, & all other experts in various threads).

Although I'm no tech wizard, I just want to contribute a little something to the discussion here: I found an app called Link2SD (in Google Play Market) that allows me to move various apps' system files to the microSD card (called "linking") - it's not a total app move-to-SD but it does free up quite a bit of your internal memory. You would need to create a 2nd FAT32 partition on your microSD (I used "Minitool Partition Wizard" on my WinXP pc to do so) then use this Link2SD app.

Good luck.

Hi !

Yes ..you need to create partition....otherwise will not go !

SpanFerkel

Jan 27, 2011
Hmm..it may be a bug. Does this work on non-rooted firmware ?

Hi Shano56,

first of, thanks for your reply.
Sadly the sd-card is still read only even with the non-rooted 4.0.6 firmware after another reformat.
After that I tried another reformat and installed the 3.2.80 non-rooted firmware from archos website but even there the sd-card is read only.

I guess all I can do right now is to try to format the sd-card, after I backup all my data on it of course, and try if this fixes my issue.

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Hi Shano56,

first of, thanks for your reply.
Sadly the sd-card is still read only even with the non-rooted 4.0.6 firmware after another reformat.
After that I tried another reformat and installed the 3.2.80 non-rooted firmware from archos website but even there the sd-card is read only.

I guess all I can do right now is to try to format the sd-card, after I backup all my data on it of course, and try if this fixes my issue.

yes i would try a reformat on the sd. make sure your SD card is in FAT32 format. perhaps the SD card is incompatible with your tablet :(

Reactions: SpanFerkel

SpanFerkel

Jan 27, 2011
yes i would try a reformat on the sd. make sure your SD card is in FAT32 format. perhaps the SD card is incompatible with your tablet :(

The card is not incompatible since it worked before.
But trying to reformat it now, didn't have an sd-card adapter at work... I work too much anyway ;)
Just btw, would there be any advantage to format it to ext4?

EDIT:
Reformated the sd-card, FAT32 like before, and now it seems to work fine.
I guess that the rights of the sd-card somehow got messed up. Under Windows it was just fine but even on a Linux system the sd-card was not writable. It's a weird "bug" that the sd-card somehow messes up the rights on its own, since i never changed anything. I always blamed the 4.0.5 firmware to be the problem of not having the right to write to sd-card. Maybe, just maybe, it really entirely messed the sd-card up.

Thanks again for the help.

@surdu_petru: keep up the good work :)

Last edited:

zando2712

Jan 11, 2011
hi, first I updated to standard 4.0.6, all ok. then installed this rom. with standard 4.0.6 wifi works, using rooted version wifi doesn't work. I have always "getting IP" and discnnects. ciao

My experience is almost similar. It connects but disconnects after about 2 mins.
Then the whole wireless network goes down.
To reliably use other wireless devices, Archos must be turned off.

Help pls

SpanFerkel

Jan 27, 2011
My experience is almost similar. It connects but disconnects after about 2 mins.
Then the whole wireless network goes down.
To reliably use other wireless devices, Archos must be turned off.

Help pls

Is that for every WiFi-network or just yours?
For me it happens at times at home but never happened at work so far.
And I can't say that it would happen in such a constant way as you said it happens to you. Sometimes it takes 10 min, other times 5 min or even does so almost instantly and then again it doesn't happen at all.
It didn't bother me that much after I updated to 4.0.6 since I was more at work than anywhere else, but I am curious what might be causing this.

zando2712

Jan 11, 2011
Is that for every WiFi-network or just yours?
For me it happens at times at home but never happened at work so far.
And I can't say that it would happen in such a constant way as you said it happens to you. Sometimes it takes 10 min, other times 5 min or even does so almost instantly and then again it doesn't happen at all.
It didn't bother me that much after I updated to 4.0.6 since I was more at work than anywhere else, but I am curious what might be causing this.

I wiped my system clean and I am doing step by step amateur testing.
Reinstalling all my apps caused wifi drops.
Streaming smb shares also caused it.

Do you use smb shares at home? Maybe the reason why it does not happen at work.

I have tried UPnP and was able to stream about 30mins of video.

I have not been able to try on another router as yet.

Last edited:

SpanFerkel

Jan 27, 2011
I wiped my system clean and I am doing step by step amateur testing.
Reinstalling all my apps caused wifi drops.
Streaming smb shares also caused it.

Do you use smb shares at home? Maybe the reason why it does not happen at work.

I have tried UPnP and was able to stream about 30mins of video.

I have not been able to try on another router as yet.

I use SMB shares both at home and work. So in my case I can't confirm this to be the cause. Probably a configuration problem with our hotspots. Have yet to check that on my own devices.

anshar666

Jan 6, 2011
I keep getting the archos update notice, how do I get rid of that?

Sent from my ARCHOS 101G9 using the XDA mobile application powered by Tapatalk

gorgone2k

May 5, 2012
is there any way to use the g3/internal port to use with a microusb stik ?

like this ?
pcs606260.gif

VOODOOS!L

Nov 22, 2005
Hi everyone,

first of all: Thanks to surdu_petru for his quick and splendid work.

it seems like I am facing some problem that was not expected by me.
The issue with the 4.0.5 read only sd-card is known, but the 4.0.6 should have fixed that behaviour, right? Well, for me it didn't. The sd-card is still read only and it seems like I can't fix it.

What I have tried so far:
  • Install the 4.0.6 rooted firmware over 4.0.5
  • Download the .aos from the website and did a complete factory reset before installing it.
  • Reinstalled the 4.0.6 rooted version
All this was to no avail since the sd-card is still read only. In other systems, like in card reader on Windows, the sd card is read and write.

Any suggestions why the sd card "bug"(?) is not fixed with the new firmware?

Oh and I am running the 8GB 101 G9.

Best regards,
SpanFerkel

Take a look a this thread as well....
I had some external sd card read only issues before and some solutions were provided in that thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1566040

Update: quote info on which I reply added...
_________

Archos 80S G9 16GB TI4430, ICS 4.0.6 rooted

Last edited:

VOODOOS!L

Nov 22, 2005
This 4.0.6 rom seems very good after 2 days... No crashes, good battery performance, device is much cooler (less heat production by processor)
But I just noticed video doesn't play anymore, tested wmv and mp4 with build in video player and mx video player... Will do some more tests....
Anyone else has video issues?

_________

Reactions: surdu_petru

surdu_petru

Recognized Contributor
Feb 3, 2010
Paris
This 4.0.6 rom seems very good after 2 days... No crashes, good battery performance, device is much cooler (less heat production by processor)
But I just noticed video doesn't play anymore, tested wmv and mp4 with build in video player and mx video player... Will do some more tests....
Anyone else has video issues?

_________

Hi !

No video problem ! ( for me :D )....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all !

Rom => Archos ICS Firmware 4.0.6 - Root & Busybox - based on Stock Archos ICS Firmware 4.0.6 !

In this Rom original files have not been modified, only was added "su" , "Superuser.apk" & "busybox" !

All improvements to the original Firmware 4.0.6 , you can also find in this Root version .

This Root version works on all tablets gen9, is stable and can be used as a daily ROM !

These are the files you need to install Root Version :

- archos.ext4.update in archive archos.ext4.406.zip =>1° https://hotfile.com/dl/154875410/d03696b/archos.ext4.406.zip.html => 2° http://www.2shared.com/file/80i1MXqz/archosext4406.html
    - zImage and initramfs.cpio.lzo in archive archos.406.zip => 1° http://www.4shared.com/zip/VXFNNLpf/archos406.html => 2° http://depositfiles.com/files/3p7cqyeq6 => 3° https://rapidshare.com/files/3553644044/archos.406.zip

Installation :

- copy archos.ext4.update into Internal Storage ( /data/media ; /mnt/storage )
    - reboot into SDE menu and under Developer Edition Menu , Flash Kernel and Initramfs : copy zImage and initramfs.cpio.lzo on the new driver that appears on desktop/laptop ;
    - ok ! and wait for reboot your devices : after reboot you can see Android update system for a while .....be patient !

In this Rom we do not have custom "bootanimation" , no extra apps added , anything else in addition to original !!!

regards,
    surdu_petru
    Hi, so this is 4.0.6 rooted based on the new fw that came out just today? NOT the test2 FW, right?
    Hi, so this is 4.0.6 rooted based on the new fw that came out just today? NOT the test2 FW, right?

Hi!

YES ! exactly ...;)
    hi surdu_petru :) it may be useful, even if 100% should be a pure case. I have always had less trouble (crashes, reboots) with your "light rom" than other rom (ics blue / rooted rom). On my hot g9 101 the most stable rom is your "ICS Firmware 4.0.5 - Overclock Edition". thank you :)
    Thanks!
    So just basically, there isn't any way to gat the multiboot to work with both ICS@Blue and Stock rooted FW with multiboot? I don't really know how to handle your .update files. I currently have Ubuntu and ICS@Blue v1 in /data/local and modified Multiboot Kernel & initramfs. Could you tell me how to get this Stock rooted with my other images? Thanks :)