And you think you have bad 4G speeds...

Search This thread

Hrshycro

Jun 10, 2010
Sprint says they have 4G in Boise, ID and the surrounding area including Nampa, which is where I live (About 20 mi. from Boise). I've been running speed test on 3g and 4g everywhere I go. I'm lucky if I even have the dot on 4G unless I'm in a sprint store or LOS of a tower.

So far, 4G is always half the speed of 3G, almost always. The only time it hasn't been much slower is when I was standing in the sprint store.

On 3G I avg. between 150 to 850 kbps down - 50 to 500ish up.

On 4G I've gotten anywhere from 150 to 3000 kbps down. But anything over 1000 kbps down was when I was standing in the sprint store or within sight of a sprint tower.

Ping is 200 at its low and has been all the way up to 800ms.

As far as which sprint servers I'm connected too, they seem to be anywhere from KS to CA and once in a while in ID or CO.

I don't know about you, but this seems to be wayy slower than what the rest of you are reporting as "slow", sadly. Because at this point, 3g is beating 4g and 3g isn't even close to its capasity. (Got 1.5mpbs down on my iphone 3G)

Wifi works great, 5 down, 1 up even with 0 bars cross the house, by the way.

I love the evo and android, and sprints pricing, but even with millions upon millions of iphones out there, att can somehow keep their speeds up.

topdawgn8

Mar 2, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I'm almost right there with you. I was driving down I-270 in St. Louis with full 4G bars and I was only getting 1.5 Mbps. I get that through 3G!!! So why am I enduring the pain of this battery life when I got the same speed from my blackberry?

Ok...that's not meant to be answered. I really really really love my Evo, but like any mobile device, it has its flaws.

om4

Mar 29, 2008
In recovery waiting to be flashed
i have a lot of family in both marsing and nampa, too bad they all have verizon, i myself live in fresno tx and area that is supposedly saturated in 4g according to both clear maps and sprint maps and i am not getting 4g at all, on top on that i one main sprint tower down the street and about 6-7 antennas (repeaters) in fresno, for any small town thats overkill and fresno is small i can get 4g if i walk down the street towards arcola (another small town next door) and in the opposite direction towards houston i get 4g but were i live nothing and the speeds....one 4g test says .65kbps up and 125kbps down :(

phazen18

Jun 21, 2010
Be patient..

I recommend being patient. In my area (where Clear has had a presence for while), as soon as the EVO came out, speeds hit the floor. My 3G was handily beating the 4G speeds I was getting up until a couple of days ago. My guess is that the influx of all these Wimax devices hit their network pretty hard and they're still doing whatever it is they do to bring the speeds back up.

On the brightside, I've gotta give them credit for at least keeping it stable. It may have been slow, but it always seemed to work when I switched to it.

I'm sure if it was AT&T we'd be screwed.

Geniusdog254

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 2, 2009
St. Louis
I usually get ~3mbs in st louis. I've had 9mbs bursts too.

I'm almost right there with you. I was driving down I-270 in St. Louis with full 4G bars and I was only getting 1.5 Mbps. I get that through 3G!!!.

I've only tested 4G through I-55 in Arnold and out in Fenton at Gravois Bluff. Moving I've never hit over 2-2.5mb, and stationary outside the Great Escape theater at Gravois Bluff I hit 3mb once. I have NEVER hit above 3, which is kind of a disappointment. It could just be the fact that Arnold & Fenton are both kinda on the fringe of 4G coverage, but still...

I'll be going into downtown Saturday for the Cardinals game and I'm interested to try it out then actually in the city. Hopefully it's a little better. Sprint, here's your chance to blow my mind with some amazing speeds ;)

P.S. @TeknoJnky DAMN! You're lucky with those 9mb bursts! Thats as fast as my cable connection at home! Jealous...

tokuzumi

Nov 25, 2008
I test my 4G speed, and it's usually 1/4 of the 3G speed, but i download webpages faster through the browser in 4G, despite the lower bandwidth score. It's a weird phenomenon, but another user on PPCGeeks mentioned the same thing.