[APP][2.3+] Crescendo 1.0.3 - A Simple Homescreen

Search This thread

alobo

Mar 20, 2012
Waterloo
www.oadigital.ca
Hey XDA,

I've got a new app, and I would love some help in testing it and finding any bugs!

Crescendo Launcher is a homescreen replacement that makes it easier for seniors (or kids!) to use an Android phone or tablet.

Features
  • NetManage: Crescendo can automatically toggle mobile data or WiFi if an app requires it. (Data is turned off after the screen is turned off)
  • Simple Apps: Crescendo comes with several simplified apps, including an easy-to-use web browser and flashlight.
  • Simple Settings: One click access to Ringer, WiFi and Mobile Data settings
  • Help Central: A comprehensive help center that teaches users how to use their device. It's fully illustrated!
  • App Drawer: An accessible app drawer with big icons.

Screenshots
picture.php
album.php
picture.php
picture.php

Tablet Screenshots:
Tv7yU3xfH6FfeAKIXSNdyh9y9mCdVpbGX4LP-9l50RnDQ2hsYdOVQ-FNserBKZPh5Q=h900-rw

FAQ
Q: The app crashed!
A: Please click the 'Report' button on the force close dialog - this lets me view a crash log. If you don't want to do this, please pull a logcat and either post it in the thread or PM it to me. I can't fix the error if I don't know what it is. Thanks!

Q: I would like to see feature X and Y
A: Awesome! Just post in this thread and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Upcoming Features/Bug Fixes
v 1.0.2 Will be released at 8:00 PM EST!
  • [Fixed v 1.0.2] Home Button Bug
  • Auto location for weather
  • Replace welcome text with clock. (Setting)
  • Date Format Customization (Setting)
  • Ability to allow both wifi/mobile internet to be switched on/off and not only one
  • Customizable tabs (along with SMS & Maps on the homescreen)
  • Customizable app drawer grid size

Downloads
You can grab it in the Play Store. (I've also attached an APK for your convenience.)

Please let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Crescendo_Launcher_1.0.0.apk
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,106
  • Crescendo_1.0.1.apk
    3.4 MB · Views: 897
  • Crescendo_1.0.2.apk
    4.3 MB · Views: 354
  • Crescendo_1.0.3.apk
    4.3 MB · Views: 654
  • Crescendo_1.1.3.apk
    4.4 MB · Views: 936
Last edited:

alobo

Mar 20, 2012
Waterloo
www.oadigital.ca
Changelog

• Editable home screen
  • SMS Icon on home screen

• Max of 10 apps
  • Fixed Home Button bug
  • Allow hiding of help button
  • Fix weather update
  • Auto weather location detection
  • Fixed NetManage behavior
  • Fixed crash
  • Fix crash on HTC Evo 3D/CM11 (Missing fonts)

• Fix crash on launch
  • Fix crash when opening the settings screen

• Initial release

Last edited:

itouchables

Jun 26, 2013
Great job man, I really love the concept. But could you give us an option to change the icon size of the app drawer.
:good::good::good::good:

Immortal Nerd

May 12, 2012
ngp
Not working on my LG G2

Setup works fine but after that keeps on crashing, Love the concept but can't try this due to some error, Dev please fix it in your free time :) :highfive:

Reactions: alobo

Me_Ashish_

May 29, 2013
Hyderabad
So I tested it for 3 minutes. This is what I would say.
The home screen, is this a home screen I mean there should be option to directly switch to app drawer.
Icon size of apps are large I would consider using small size.
Limit on no. of apps, this shouldn't be added as premium feature.
No widgets.
Shouldn't weather location be auto set & even if we type in search box there should be suggestions coming up.
In this initial test didn't find usage of the smart switch off Internet on/off.

This isn't a launcher at all, in launcher there is beautiful app drawer. This thing needs much improvement, I guess it would become my primary browser when v3.0 will come.

Cookie Ninja

Jan 21, 2010
Seems to look good. Clean, minimalist, simple, but won't run on my Xperia Z 6603, stock, rooted 4.3.

Dead Cookies leave no trails...

alobo

Mar 20, 2012
Waterloo
www.oadigital.ca
Problem Here,
Its Force Closing On 4.4.2 Kitkat.
Not Even Starting.
Is This App Compatible With Kitkat?

Thanks Anyways

Hey Bishal, yes it should be compatible with Kitkat - I tested it on a Nexus 4 with 4.4.2. Would you be able to get me a logcat or could you please report the crash? Thanks!

Setup works fine but after that keeps on crashing, Love the concept but can't try this due to some error, Dev please fix it in your free time :) :highfive:

Hey Immortal Nerd - if you could please get me a logcat or you could report the crash, I will fix it!

Seems to look good. Clean, minimalist, simple, but won't run on my Xperia Z 6603, stock, rooted 4.3.

Dead Cookies leave no trails...

Hey Cookie Ninja, could you describe the issue you are encountering? If it's crashing, would you be able to get a logcat or report the crash? Thanks!

alobo

Mar 20, 2012
Waterloo
www.oadigital.ca
So I tested it for 3 minutes. This is what I would say.
The home screen, is this a home screen I mean there should be option to directly switch to app drawer.
Icon size of apps are large I would consider using small size.
Limit on no. of apps, this shouldn't be added as premium feature.
No widgets.
Shouldn't weather location be auto set & even if we type in search box there should be suggestions coming up.
In this initial test didn't find usage of the smart switch off Internet on/off.

This isn't a launcher at all, in launcher there is beautiful app drawer. This thing needs much improvement, I guess it would become my primary browser when v3.0 will come.

HI Me_Ashish,

Thanks for trying it out! In regards to your concerns, the target audience for this launcher are not power users - it's a simplified launcher for those who want a simpler phone. However, I can add some of the features you requested into the next version:
1) Automatic location detection
2) Ability to directly switch to app drawer.

Also, or the internet to automatically switch off, you have to enable NetManage. Additionally, the internet will switched off 5 minutes after your screen is turned off.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cookie Ninja

Jan 21, 2010
On the Xperia 6603, setup starts with name and loops (fc-restart at name again), endlessly. BTW, I don't have a owner profile on my contacts app.... Will get logcat next time I run it, its 1am & tomorrow is Monday, need 2 sleep...

Sent from one of my/our device/s

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey XDA,

I've got a new app, and I would love some help in testing it and finding any bugs!

Crescendo Launcher is a homescreen replacement that makes it easier for seniors (or kids!) to use an Android phone or tablet.

Features
    • NetManage: Crescendo can automatically toggle mobile data or WiFi if an app requires it. (Data is turned off after the screen is turned off)
    • Simple Apps: Crescendo comes with several simplified apps, including an easy-to-use web browser and flashlight.
    • Simple Settings: One click access to Ringer, WiFi and Mobile Data settings
    • Help Central: A comprehensive help center that teaches users how to use their device. It's fully illustrated!
    • App Drawer: An accessible app drawer with big icons.

Screenshots

FAQ
    Q: The app crashed!
    A: Please click the 'Report' button on the force close dialog - this lets me view a crash log. If you don't want to do this, please pull a logcat and either post it in the thread or PM it to me. I can't fix the error if I don't know what it is. Thanks!

Q: I would like to see feature X and Y
    A: Awesome! Just post in this thread and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Upcoming Features/Bug Fixes
    v 1.0.2 Will be released at 8:00 PM EST!
    • [Fixed v 1.0.2] Home Button Bug
    • Auto location for weather
    • Replace welcome text with clock. (Setting)
    • Date Format Customization (Setting)
    • Ability to allow both wifi/mobile internet to be switched on/off and not only one
    • Customizable tabs (along with SMS & Maps on the homescreen)
    • Customizable app drawer grid size

Downloads
    You can grab it in the Play Store. (I've also attached an APK for your convenience.)

Please let me know what you think!
    Changelog

• Editable home screen
    • SMS Icon on home screen

• Max of 10 apps
    • Fixed Home Button bug
    • Allow hiding of help button
    • Fix weather update
    • Auto weather location detection
    • Fixed NetManage behavior
    • Fixed crash
    • Fix crash on HTC Evo 3D/CM11 (Missing fonts)

• Fix crash on launch
    • Fix crash when opening the settings screen

• Initial release
    Ok, testing right now before setting it up on my parents phones. First thoughts:

1. The app lacks localisation. I can translate to Dutch if necessary.
    2. Option to not have the welcome text and weather and replace it with a clock.
    3. Second home screen with a calendar widget (user choice)
    4. Normal app drawer. Older people might be a bit slower and have a lessened visibility, but they aren't completely blind :p
    5. Full app drawer. Right now it only supports 5 apps. I've got some 120 apps and my parents each have some 25 apps they regularly need. Don't put this under premium settings, because that would mean crippling the launcher, forcing people to pay. A good launcher is also usable in the free version.
    6. Option to change the homescreen shortcuts. There's no shortcut for messengers etc.
    7. Third home screen with a speeddial widget

That's it for now. I strongly suggest, as mentioned in my fifth suggestion, to not limit the free version this much, thus rendering it useless. I uninstalled the app for now, but will continue to follow development.

Thanks.
    Looks interesting

I like the minimalist approach. Will certainly give it a try.:)
    Weird, I'm not seeing your reply on the App Store page.

It seems to be working fine. I'm not sure what had happened. And not to worry I will revise the app store review.

P.S. My mom loves your app.