[Video Tutorial] Noob Proof Everything Desire Guide UPDATED [04/04/11][Video Tut]

Search This thread

knudsen19

Mar 22, 2010
Randers
It's so long time ago I don't remember which one I used, but i only have 4 ports, where as 2 always has the same plugged in (mouse + keyboard) and I've tried both of the 2 remaining ports - and yes it's the same cable.

zolmajstor

Feb 21, 2009
is it necessary to make step 4 ? s-off? or i can just skip it? and is it necessary to partition sdcard with program you mentioned or i can use mini tool partition wizard for format sdcard?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
If you want to use a2sd+ or data2sd, you will need the partition. I ALWAYS recommend Gparted and recommend against the use of rom manager for anything. It seems to cause issues since the unrevoked method of rooting came about. This is just for the desire however, ROM manager works perfectly well on other devices.

kraakie256

Aug 4, 2010
No matter what i try i can't get my phone rooted.

Info phone

PVT1

S-on
Hboot 093.00001
Radio 5.11.05.27

Unrevoked says running root but no root user there and clockword recovery not installed ??

Can it be that Hboot 0.93 is the problem ?

And if so can i downgrade the Hboot ?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
No matter what i try i can't get my phone rooted.

Info phone

PVT1

S-on
Hboot 093.00001
Radio 5.11.05.27

Unrevoked says running root but no root user there and clockword recovery not installed ??

Can it be that Hboot 0.93 is the problem ?

And if so can i downgrade the Hboot ?

Hboot is not a problem here. Can you give more information on what unrevoked says please?

zolmajstor

Feb 21, 2009
i have a problem, every time i plug in cable, before i can even select charge only and tick don't ask me again, desire conects to PC using removable disk(sdcard). I can set then option charge only, but i dont have option don't ask me again :(

what can i do? i don't have any program such as winamp that automaticly mounts sdcard to pc or such.

how can I reset somethin so i can get don't ask me again check box?

Cyler

Jun 17, 2010
BC
I keep running into issues with unrevoked giving me the error "Failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?"

I am running the Telus OTA update of Froyo:

Android Version: 2.2
Radio: 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27
Software: 2.25.661.2

I'm confused, my phone isn't that new, bought it back in Sept.

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
I keep running into issues with unrevoked giving me the error "Failed to get root. Is your firmware too new?"

I am running the Telus OTA update of Froyo:

Android Version: 2.2
Radio: 32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27
Software: 2.25.661.2

I'm confused, my phone isn't that new, bought it back in Sept.

Don't know if this helps from my rooting FAQ:
There are 2 reasons for this.

1) Your firmware IS too new. Check your version. The ARA 2.32.415.x is now rootable. Ensure you are using the 3.32 version of Unrevoked if you are on an ARA build - 3.32

For other versions, 3.21 is best - 3.21

2) If you forced all apps to SD card, this is impairing the installation of the superuser app. Go back through the guide and substitute "pm setInstallLocation 2" foir "pm setInstallLocation 0" and try it again

If not you may need to try downgrading using Teppic74's down grader.

kokaine

May 17, 2008
Thanks LINKSLOVESANDROID. I followed your guide and it all worked great. Im running the latest version of Leedroid and I love it :)

Jakedude2011

Jan 14, 2011
A really nice guide. Would have loved looking in to this, when first started,
instead of reading a million threads, and picking up pieces all over the forum,
untill ready to do the steps.

:)

UberNoobster

May 15, 2011
I wound up partitioning my SD Card using ROM Manager since I was having bother with this tutorials method using the USB stick.

I also couldn't S-off.

So I have a 512mb partition with a 32mb swap partition and I'm S-On...what ROMs can I put on my phone?

bedobela

Aug 29, 2008
Sfintu Gheorghe
Hey this helped me a lot thanks, finally had the guts to S-OFF. Until now i was stuck with the stock hboot ROMS but now I can go for the CM7 versions which are supposed to be better.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Bela

htc-fanboy

Jan 31, 2009
:confused:

Stuck at step 3
getting a hub error, saying, "cable might not be ok" what a BS.
luckily my phone didn't brick :/
after waiting, doing nothing, this showed up:

Code:
tc@box:~$

did exactly with the instructions ....i'm pissed now...
tried 3 times, allways the same.

any idea?

thnx

hboot 0.83

frem

Dec 31, 2005
Hello,

Thank you very much for this wonderful guide that I used step by step.

I just wanted to suggest a simpler way to deal with step 4 and 5 for Windows Users, in order to not go through the pain of burning a CD, then booting on it, or using virtual machines, etc, ...

For Step 4 : "S-OFF your device" (htc Desire for me) I used the new Revolutionary tool : http://revolutionary.io/ worked like a charm for me.

For Step 5 : "SD Partitioning" I used "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" Windows application and used this tutorial : http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=SD_card_partitioning

Thank you again for your great guide which probably saved me days and days of research being new in the android rom scene. I used to be a WM6 user :).

danarama

Aug 22, 2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ****UPDATED*****
    04/04/11 - Added Gingersense Roms to Step 7

20,000 Views!!!

Hello XDA and community. I've compiled a complete walkthrough to root, s-off, and flash a custom rom on your GSM HTC Desire. This guide was created with NOOBS in mind so please follow along.

***This method only works for users with hboot 0.93 and lower. Sorry 1.06 users, but until unrevoked updates, your stuck on stock htc***

To check your hboot, turn off your phone. Hold volume down and press power while continuing to hold volume down. A white screen should load with alot of information on it. The 2nd line will have your hboot version.
    HBOOT-USB-PLUG-Desire.JPG

***I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR DEVICE***

Table of Contents

Step One - Service Provider RUU roms
    Step Two - Root Preparations
    Step Three - How To Root Your Device
    Step Four - How To S-Off Your Device
    Step Five - How To Partition Your Sd Card
    Step Six - How To Nandroid Backup
    Step Seven - How To Flash a Custom Rom
    Step Eight - Optional Extras

The 1st thing im going to teach you about is your service providers RUU rom. This is not nessesary for the rooting procedure, but nessesary if you have problems or need to send your phone in for repair. So lets be safe and download it before hand.

STEP ONE - Download Your Providers RUU rom

A RUU rom is the stock rom your provider had preinstalled in your desire. The reason for downloading is just incase you have problems, you can always reflash the RUU back to the factory default. Your providers RUU rom will erase your root, s-off, apps, contacts, sms messages, and call history. The RUU will not touch anything you have saved to your sdcard such as music, photos, or videos.

Now on your phone, goto settings>about phone>software then look for your baseband version and build version. Use that information to find your RUU file here:

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/ and here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=695667

Once you have your RUU file downloaded, store it in a safe place on your pc. Now im going to show a video of me flashing my providers stock RUU. You do not need to do this, im only shooting this to showcase to new comers that its easy to erase root and return to your providers stable sense 2.2.

******PLZ NOTE YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PERFORM A RUU FLASH, I ONLY DID ONE TO SHOWCASE HOW EASY IT IS TO REMOVE ROOT ACCESS AND FEATURES ******

Watch this video showcasing how to flash the RUU if you ever need too:

I created part one strickly because I understand how difficult it can be when you want root access but your afraid of the repercussions.

Now that you understand how todo a emergency reflash, lets prepare your phone and computer so they can transmit the root through hboot

STEP TWO - Root Preparations

First things first, download and install HTC sync which can be found at: http://www.htc.com
    After its completely installed, open control panel then goto programs and features. Look for HTC sync and uninstall it. But leave the drivers. DO NOT UNINSTALL ANYTHING OTHER THEN HTC SYNC. The drivers are needed to connect your phone in hboot mode. Next, Your going to have to flash a modifed usb driver so you can transmit the root through hboot mode. i was going todo a video for this section but i found this tutorial could showcase what you need todo alot clearer then i could with a video. So just click the following link and continue following along

http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/windows_hboot_driver_install

After youve updated the usb hboot driver, its time to prepare your phone. First thing we are going todo is turn on usb debugging. Goto settings>applications>development>usb debugging and turn this feature on. It allows your phone and pc to have a conversation and exchange information with one another. Next, click your back button so your at settings>applications and make sure unknown sources is also turned on. At this point, you should reset your phone and reset your computer. Now that youve prepared your phone and pc to communicate through hboot mode, your ready to use unrevoked to root your phone

STEP THREE - Rooting Your Device Using Unrevoked

Now that your ready fto flash root access, download Unrevoked3 here: http://unrevoked.com/recovery/

Unrevoked is the program used to flash superuser, busybox, and clockwork recovery into your phone. Once downloaded, hook your phone up to your computer and when it asks you what kind of connection you'd like, click charge only and dont ask me again.

Heres a video to showcase the installation. Just follow along:

After youve successfully rooted your device, youve opened your device to most but not all features your device is capable of doing. You now have to S-off using alpharev to fully unlock the power of android.

STEP FOUR - S-Off Precedure With Alpharev

HTC created a new security feature they have implemented into the majority of there phones which blocks the ability to really tweak the phones internal features like your splash screen, boot animations, changing the size of system partitions, etc. You must create a way to bypass the security system which can be done with alpharev s-off procedure.
    First thing were gonna do is download the alpharev hboot reflash utility from: http://alpharev.nl/
    Once you have this file downloaded, you have to burn it with an iso burning program or place it on a usb drive. I perfer the disc as i have so many laying around. I Used Magic Iso to burn the boot disc which can be found here http://www.magiciso.com/download.htm
    Once you have magiciso installed, all u have to do is open it, then click the "Burn dvd/cd with iso" then click the alpharev iso, then burn it.

Once you have your alpharev s-off disc in hand, you must setup your pc so it reads boot discs before it reads windows on your hard drive. To do this, restart your pc. When your pc restarts, it will have a screen with your manufacturers logo. In one of these corners it will say something like "press F5 for setup." press the required button your specific computer asks for and it will bring your too a menu like this:

vmware-player-bios-boot-menu.png

Your computer will start the boot sequence from the top of the list. So you want to move your cd/dvd drive above your hdd in the boot list. once youve moved it above your hdd, save the changes and close the setup menu. Below is a video of the S-off precedure starting from where the text ended.

After youve successfully s-offed your device, its time to partition your sdcard.

STEP FIVE - Partitioning Your Sd Card With Gparted

A majority of custom roms today come with a feature called "App2sd". This feature allows movement of most applications to your sd card to save valuable system space which is definately needed for a device with such a small amount of room for applications [131mbs] as the desire. To set this feature up, you must first partition your sd card using a program called "Gparted". You can download this program here: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

After youve downloaded the file, you must burn it in the same method as you burned alpharev. Again, use magiciso to burn a boot disc you can use to bootup when you turn on your pc. Follow along with this video:

STEP SIX - Stock Nandroid Backup
    After youve successfully partitioned your sd card, youve got to make a stock nandroid backup just incase you have an issue with a rom you decided to try.
    Watch this video for instructions:

Now that youve made a backup of your stock rom, your ready to flash a custom rom

STEP SEVEN - Flashing A Custom Rom

Now that your ready to flash a custom rom, you have quite afew choices. But after many months of testing, im going to post my personal favorites of each type.

First, we have sense roms. Sense roms are the same as the stock htc rom butwith tweaks and modifications. My personal favorite sense rom is Leedroid which can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=768703

htcsense.png

Second, we have sense hd roms. sense hd roms are roms pulled from the desire hd. There basically the same as sense roms except they give you extra features like flipclock, the porsonalize button, skins, etc. These are my second favorite type of rom. And my personal favorite sense hd rom is Cool Sense Hd which can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=899943

DesireHDscreenshotskins.jpg

UPDATE- Third, We Have Gingersense roms. Gingersense is a sense hd rom updated to googles gingerbread 2.3.x. So youll have all the greatness of a sense hd rom with the additions of gingerbread like notification settings, a new app drawer etc. These roms are amazing but still in development stages and lack specific features like camera and a proper 3d graphics lib. My personal favorite is Robo's RCMixS which can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=988570

dd83cf5.jpg
    image16.png

Fourth, we have ASOP roms. These are the stock google roms. They are pritty bare minimum roms but incredible in the speed department. These are my favorite type of rom. And my personal favorite of the bunch is Cyanogen Mod 7 which can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=957344

9bd71_139410-Gingerbread-Homescreen.jpg

Last but not least, we have MIUI roms. These are the closest thing your going to get to an Iphone. If your looking for an iphone look, go with an MIUI rom. Favorite MIUI rom is Xj's 2.3 which can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=957291

wpid-miui-weather.jpg

It's up to your personal preference, so go ahead and choose your favorite then continue. Im going to use Cyanogen Mod 7 RC3. Follow the video ;)

Now that you have your custom rom installed, your good 2 go! enoy the power of android. The desire is already a great device but with all the extra youve just setup, its spectacular. There are still extras you can flash if you choose too. Step eight is purely optional.

[OPTIONAL] STEP EIGHT - How To Use Android Flasher

Android Flasher is a program for your pc you can use to flash custom splash screens [the 1st screen u see when u bootup ie. the joker alpharev], your boot animation [the cm7 spinning wheel], and your recovery [clockwork, amonra]. Download android flasher here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=794638

And a good desire splashscreen thread is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=8367224

Basically, extract the downloaded file to your desktop, open it and click android flasher. hook your phone up via usb cable on charge only. click the splashscreen box and begin. it will then ask where the file is. direct it to your file and click ok. it will ask if this is the picture you want. click ok. it will then load the splash into your phone. The odd time you will get a error and it wont flash. If this happens to you, just restart your computer and try again. Also make sure unknown sources is on and usb debugging.

Ive just spent approx 20 hours creating this thread to help all the newcomers to the forum so plz, if this helped you, click the thank you button ;)
    Edit> The OP did PM me about my request for PVT4 but as yet its not here so to help others, I shall put it below:

Essential information before rooting

Current Android Software version

Settings>About phone. We need to check if your software is the ARA build (ARA 2.xx.415.x) this is the Arab build

Hboot version, PVT and Erase size.

Boot into Hboot (from off, hold volume down and press power)
    Make a note of your Hboot version - Must be lower than 1.06
    Make a note of your PVT version. If it is PVT4 you must now check if the erase size is 40,000
    "Download Terminal emulator" from the market and open it.
    Type "cat /proc/mtd" and press enter. It will return results of either 20,000 or 40,000

The reason we need to know the above:

The ARA build dictates you use unrevoked 3.32 (3.21 is best for anything else)

If erase size is 40,000 Amon RA 2.0.1 is better as Clockworkmod recovery supplied with Unrevoked does not work.

To select a recovery different to clockworkmod in unrevoked, before connecting the phone, go to File > Custom recovery

Hope this helps.

http://androidforums.com/desire-all...g-unrevoked-windows-published-19-03-11-a.html
    This is an extremely useful guide, and I don't want this thread being polluted with questions. If you have a suggestion for the guide and the OP is willing to do it then post that here.

Questions belong in the Q&A forum. Please keep this thread clean.

Thanks...