How to pair a Wireless Xbox 360 Controller and fix Camera Spin

Search This thread

Chris Sweetapple

Sep 10, 2012
How to copy Vendor ID

Hi

I have got all the things I need. Wireless Xbox Controller, Reciever, OTG Cable. Galaxy tab 10.1 Rooted. , I have done all the steps in terminal but. I am unsure on how to get your vendor file that I'm missing. ( 0291 ) copied into the system folder. Or do the permission thing. I have the file on my tablet and unzipped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

injection18

Jan 5, 2012
D-pad, triggers and Right stick not recognized in emulators

Hello, thank you for this topic, I played Dead Trigger with my Wireless Xbox 360 controller, and it works perfeclty !
All buttons, both analog sticks, d-pad and triggers work.

However, I'd like to use it to play emulators (Snesoid, N64oid, FPSE ...), but only the Left stick, A,B,X,Y,LB,RB are recognized.
I can't use the D-pad, analog triggers or Right stick ...

Is there a solution ?
Could these controls be remmaped to keyboard or something like that by an existing app ?

Thank you.

AdyCarter

Sep 5, 2011
Hmmm it looks like we might be able to re-purpose this solution for the OnLive Universal Controller.

It works fine in Onlive (obviously) but it too suffers from the spinning issues in titles like Shadowgun,

If memory serves the OnLive pad uses Vendor_2378_Product_100a.kl hypothetically overwriting this with your Vendor_045e_Product_0291.kl might well fix this issue.

I'll give it a shot when I get home, unless of course anyone feels like trying in the mean time?

AdyCarter

Sep 5, 2011
OK that doesn't quite work.

Logcat when connecting an OnLive Pad:

Code:
D/BluetoothService(  347): allowIncomingProfileConnect: 00:24:1C:9A:13:83 : true
 : 1727203784
D/BluetoothEventLoop(  347): onAgentAuthorize(/org/bluez/3231/hci0/dev_00_24_1C_
9A_13_83, 00001124-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb) = true
D/EventHub(  347): No input device configuration file found for device 'OnLive W
ireless Controller'.
D/BluetoothEventLoop(  347): Input Device : Name of Property is: Connected
D/CachedBluetoothDevice(23966): onProfileStateChanged: profile HID newProfileSta
te 2
I/EventHub(  347): New device: id=9, fd=315, path='/dev/input/event3', name='OnL
ive Wireless Controller', classes=0x80000141, configuration='', keyLayout='/syst
em/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl', keyCharacterMap='/system/usr/keychars/Generic.kcm'
, builtinKeyboard=false, usingSuspendBlockIoctl=true, usingClockIoctl=false
I/InputReader(  347): Device added: id=9, name='OnLive Wireless Controller', sou
rces=0x01000511
I/BluetoothDeviceProfileState(  347): Entering ACL Connected state with: 102
D/BluetoothInputProfileHandler(  347): InputDevice state : device: 00:24:1C:9A:1
3:83 State:0->2

Its not giving me any clue as to the Vendor/Product ID i'd need?

mousemeat

Sep 19, 2012
Kansas City
Xbox 360 wireless receiver

For those like me that uses the xbox 360 wireless receiver :

The wireless receiver used to work perfectly on gingerbread 2.3 , but i doesnt work on Ice Cream Sandwich .

I found the file " Xbox_360_Wireless_Receiver.gl " Gingerbread and copied and pasted on the same location on the Icecream.

You can do this on any custom roms.

I found this easier to do than the procedure on this thread.

Now all the buttons work , like it did on Gingerbread. (both analogs too)

Xbox_360_Wireless_Receiver.gl can be found on /system,usr,keylayout on Gingerbread.

I can't post links to download the file or attach files yet sorry.

Last edited:

shizomou

Sep 19, 2010
Went over this again and again and wasn't able to get it working. Gave up and just use my ps3 controller.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Visa Declined

Sep 17, 2012
Oklahoma City
I've found that just using a wired xbox controller works so well that I have been sticking with that. Games like Asphalt 7: Heat are so much better with a controller!

Apr 12, 2011
Does it have to be an official Microsoft branded wireless adapter? Amazon has one for cheap, but it's definitely a third party. I have the official wireless controller that came with my Xbox, just hoping this will work!

grogcw

Oct 10, 2012
Montpellier
A'right, so I couldn't make it work. :laugh:

I followed all the tutorial on my "rooted and everything" Jelly Bean Galaxy S3, but failed. :cool:

I also tried the others methods with the kcm and gl files, but as I was searching around, I noticed that I have a "[...]_Product_028e.kl" file wich is already a xbox controller declaration. :silly:

Isn't here any workaround on the peripheral ID "file-renaming process" specific for the S3 to do by logcating or something ? (couldnt read it / too many infos :crying:) [I need a tuto / n00b detected / sorry...]

south69_dallas

Jun 18, 2010
I have wireless controllers and I have the charge and play cable that plugs into the USB on the Xbox when my batteries are dead. So anyways if I follow the instructions on post 1 can I plug the charge n play cable into the otg and play as a"wired controller"?

I've found that just using a wired xbox controller works so well that I have been sticking with that. Games like Asphalt 7: Heat are so much better with a controller!

That would bE great
If i could even get THAT toeo work
I am going insane
What exactly do i need to get this working
I feel like I'm missing a file somewhere for it to even recognize that my controller is even plugged into the otg on the nexus 7
IF ANYONE Is willing to help me out here, please please please!!!! Let me know.
I've been going insane googling, watching YouTube vids and trying to find out
What exactly I'm missing to even be able to use this controller hooked up to NY nexus 7 through usb otg cable.
I see EVERYWHERE people saying to just plug it in and go. But that doesn't work for me. On any game. At all

If ANYONE can hit me with some tips I'd be greatly appreciative.
I don't need someone to hold my hand step by step AT ALL
i just cannot figure this out and it is KILLING ME

Thanks, and sorry for slight hijack, figured y'all would know the best what i need to do here

lukems

Jun 11, 2012
Afterglow AX1 controller

Hello all,

Many thanks to OP, got my *unofficial* controller working just fine!

A bit more info:
- I bought an unofficial, Afterglow AX.1 controller (exactly same layout as xbox controller)
- I connected it to PC and used USBView to check its Product ID and Vendor ID
(I couldn't get any logcat to work at all)
- I copied the original xbox controller .kl file (see OP), renamed it to suit my controller
Vendor_045e_Product_0291.kl to Vendor_0e6f_Product_0113.kl
- Copied both files into /system/usr/keylayout/
- Changed priv's to 644
- Rebooted and worked fine!

Note, when playing Shadowgun, I could not start the app with controller connected as it would not open, I had to connect the controller just before the loading screen :)s)

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

That would bE great
If i could even get THAT toeo work
I am going insane
What exactly do i need to get this working
I feel like I'm missing a file somewhere for it to even recognize that my controller is even plugged into the otg on the nexus 7
IF ANYONE Is willing to help me out here, please please please!!!! Let me know.
I've been going insane googling, watching YouTube vids and trying to find out
What exactly I'm missing to even be able to use this controller hooked up to NY nexus 7 through usb otg cable.
I see EVERYWHERE people saying to just plug it in and go. But that doesn't work for me. On any game. At all

If ANYONE can hit me with some tips I'd be greatly appreciative.
I don't need someone to hold my hand step by step AT ALL
i just cannot figure this out and it is KILLING ME

Thanks, and sorry for slight hijack, figured y'all would know the best what i need to do here

What controller are you using?
I suggested downloading USBView and checking the Product ID and Vendor ID just to be certain.

Once you have those, take the original .kl file from OP, make a copy and rename it to reflect your controller.
Put them both in /system/usr/keylayout/ and give them chmod 644 (as per OP instructions)
Reboot device.

Reactions: ashclepdia

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Video that demonstrates the setup, show an example of the problem, the steps to solve the problem, and the working solution!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9czISrLGXNI&hd=1

So first lets just talk about the Hardware Setup.

• Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
    • OTG Cable.
    • Xbox 360 Wireless Dongle (This is meant for the PC but also works on the Android, and quite lovely on emulators)

This setup alone works well for allot of the emulators out there, however some of the games are not working with the controller, for instance GTA3 , Dead Trigger, Shadowgun and others. So by reading the logcat I was able to figure out a solution. Snippet of logcat below

--------------------
    07-22 19:55:48.039 350 405 D EventHub: No input device configuration file found for device 'Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver'.
    07-22 19:55:48.059 350 405 I EventHub: New device: id=4, fd=269, path='/dev/input/event3', name='
    360 Wireless Receiver', classes=0x80000341, configuration='', keyLayout='/system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl', keyCharacterMap='/system/usr/keychars/Generic.kcm', builtinKeyboard=false, usingSuspendBlockIoctl=true, usingClockIoctl=false

<6>[ 117.819812] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device number 2 using tegra-ehci
    <6>[ 117.873142] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=045e, idProduct=0719
    <6>[ 117.873219] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    <6>[ 117.873337] usb 2-1: Product: Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows
    <6>[ 117.873403] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: ©Microsoft
    <6>[ 117.873518] usb 2-1: SerialNumber: FE425DB0
    -------------------

So when i searched through the /system/usr/keylayout/ I saw there was a profile for the xbox 360 wired controller so I thought why not copy the profile and name it a wireless xbox controller. This idea worked. You name keylayouts by Vendor ID and Product ID which I also was able to get from the logcat. What is nice about this is I think we can use this to solve issues with other controllers as well, but I don't know of any that are also having problems.

For this solution a rooted Nexus 7 is required. I already have a step by step video on rooting if you need the help on the nexus 7. but after obtaining root you need to enter into the Android Shell (i was using Terminal Emulator for Android on the Nexus 7 downloaded from the google play store ) . I entered this commands to get this all setup.

• su
    • cd /system/usr/keylayout/
    • mount -o remount,rw /system
    • cp Vendor_045e_Product_0291.kl Vendor_045e_Product_0719.kl
    • chmod 644 Vendor_045e_Product_0291.kl
    • chmod 644 Vendor_045e_Product_0719.kl
    • exit
    • exit

Restart System and Enjoy!!!!

UPDATE 2
    I attached the Key Character Mapping file as well. This is found in /system/usr/keychars . For nexus 7 users this isn't necessary but some other devices have different generic .kcm so this is needed (in the process of being confirmed) PLEASE NOTE THE .KCM Extension

UPDATE
    Some of you do not have the Keylayout file for even the USB Xbox Controller, I am attaching the file (it needs to be unzipped), you will need to paste it into the /system/usr/keylayout/ folder. You also could rename this to the Wireless Xbox Controller Vendor and Product ID and copy it 'Vendor_045e_Product_0719' .
    Update 2: When copying the file you still need to mount the Systems folder using the command listed above: "mount -o remount,rw /system" and also remember to modify its priveledges using the
    "chmod 644 Vendor_045e_Product_0291.kl"
    PLEASE NOTE THE .KL EXTENSION FOR THIS FILE
    Modified Key Layout - DPad as buttons

Hey guys, I've modified the .kl file for the xbox 360 controller so that the dpad is now getting mapped to buttons.
    I've tested it and the dpad now works in Conduit (it wasn't working for me before).
    The dpad now works in the android gui as well as in emulators (I tested in snesoid).
    It should theoretically work better in most games.

Just install it the same way as in the original post.
    So, i was a bit tired of editing this every time by hand if i updated my Rom on my Nexus 7 so i tried to write my first update.zip and i thought i share it here.
    This zip doesn't contain the kcm file, so if you need it on your device you probably have to add it for yourself. Everything else should work fine, i flashed it a few times myself.
    d-pad

You should add the following lines to the .kl file to get the d-pad working (needed for GTA):

key 704 DPAD_LEFT
    key 705 DPAD_RIGHT
    key 706 DPAD_UP
    key 707 DPAD_DOWN

Regards, Adam.