How-To: Fix Faulty Baseband and Faulty Modem

Search This thread

Pigbenis12

Jan 28, 2013
Bumping for later use.

I'm attempting to flash a different modem to an Atrix HD because it seems the phone has the subsidy lock, so I'm trying to see if by flashing it with a different modem it will accept the unlock code.

I just think they tried it one too many times before (with wrong codes).

Taha Haq

Mar 7, 2013
karachi
GSM

By following this i got all things working except mobile network and it did not got freeze in mobile network menu
Now what to do to get it working once again?

Edit: Never mind i got it working by flashing a new rom

Last edited:

jonmast

Oct 8, 2014
I am running CM11 on AT&T and experiencing intermittent connection drops. They usually occur in a poor service area and toggling Airplane Mode on/off usually fixes it (at least temporarily). I'm new to flashing radios and am trying to figure out if this one is safe to flash with my configuration and also if I can expect to see an improvement.
Thanks, Jon

horustineo

Oct 16, 2010
Change bands to 900 3g and/or 1800 4g

Hi, I'm looking for a method to enable my Atrix HD to use 900 mhz band in 3G or 1800mhz in 4g or both. Is there really a method to do so? I can't really afford to buy another cellphone in this moment and EDGE frustrates me :crying: . Thanks in advance. :fingers-crossed:

dankimani

THIS WORKED FOR ME. Didn't have fastboot. USB issues.

I HAVE ANOTHER WAY
One you can use without losing your current data. Well, maybe.
How:
1. Backup all your apps and data via Titanium Backup. This is just to be safe.
2. Download AT&T stock JellyBean. Or Bell. Depending on your phone source. A hard find if you ask me.
3. Extract the downloaded file to your memory card. Preferably in a folder you won't have to type too long. Say, like 1 or a, or something.
4. Install terminal emulator via sideload. (APK).
5. Download the linked updater script, place it in its respective folder in META-INF, place NON-HLOS.bin(from the downloaded Jellybean) in the root of the archive.
6. Download sign-em(or any other zip signer) and sign the zip file.
7. Flash in recovery. After reboot you'll notice Wifi will work. Now, that deserves one thanks, right? :silly:
8. Remember that Jellybean archive you extracted? Yup! Open the xml file in it. Starts with ATT-something. Best practice is on another screen. Why?
It will tell you which partition numbers each image should go to.
9. Navigate (using terminal as root) to where you placed it. Flash (using dd if=* of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p*) aboot, sbl1, sbl2, sbl3, fsg, cdrom and boot. Recovery ain't necessary.
10. Clear data.
11. Reboot. Done!

Links to stock Jellybean and updater script attached.
https://mega.nz/#!FdFXQIwC!Ue9CVywgHHFgAlDUYj7fxLBeFz8Pq_uGN6ZChhgl4lc

https://mega.nz/#!FU8zQJoC!MFrgoZ1R5o-fr3BQuM69qEmBH779V13JZTOdNfCyFa8

You should note that I used this method because my USB is faulty. So adb and fastboot are a no no.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fix Modem / Baseband JB AT&T ONLY... Sure did fix my problem!;)
    Diagnosis for: (Random) no sound; no phone connectivity such as: WIFI; BLUETOOTH; GSM.
    Can happen: Flashing wrong fw; Flash failure.

NOTE: Android SDK is required, go to your OS below and view "prerequisites" for more information...

Windows 7 method
    Prerequisites: Android SDK - Tools and SDK! (install here.)

Instructions:
    (1. Make a folder in the directory "C:/" and name it "qinara."
    (2. Download the following attachment below: "NON-HLOS.bin" (In the attachments / downloads section)
    (3. Place "NON-HLOS.bin" in the "C:/qinara/" folder.
    (4. Open a cmd prompt.
    (5. Change Directory (CD) the cmd to your install location of Android SDK's Platform Tools (type it in to the command prompt.) to make
    a command like the following example. Example: CD C:/users/YOUR-USERNAME/android/sdk/platform-tools
    (6. Type the following command in...
    Code:
    fastboot flash modem C:/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
    (7. Wait for the modem to be sent and installed.
    (8. Type the following command in...
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    (9. When the phone boots everything but gsm will be working, to fix it go to settings. From the main settings menu, go to mobile network. It
    will freeze, press the home button. Once you press the home button open up recent apps by pressing the multi-tasking button.
    it freezes.
    (10. Open up your multi-tasking menu and open settings.
    (11. Set "select network" to "automatic," then your done.

Ubuntu / Other Linux-distro method
    Prerequisites: Android SDK - Tools only! (to install type the following cmds in terminal...)
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

Instructions:
    (1. Make a folder in the directory "/home/USERNAME/" and name it "qinara."
    (2. Download the following attachment below: "NON-HLOS.bin" (In the attachments / downloads section)
    (3. Place "NON-HLOS.bin" in the "/home/USERNAME/qinara/" folder.
    (4. Open a terminal.
    (5. Type the following command in...
    Code:
    fastboot flash modem /home/USERNAME/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
    (6. Wait for the modem to be sent and installed.
    (7. Type the following command in...
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    (8. When the phone boots everything but gsm will be working, to fix it go to settings. From the main settings menu, go to mobile network. It
    will freeze, press the home button. Once you press the home button open up recent apps by pressing the multi-tasking button.
    it freezes.
    (9. Open up your multi-tasking menu and open settings.
    (10. Set "select network" to "automatic," then your done.

Downloads

-NON-HLOS.bin

Ask any questions below... :fingers-crossed:
    Code:
    C:\Program Files\Android SDK\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash modem C:/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
    (bootloader) Variable not supported!
    target reported max download size of 31457280 bytes
    Invalid sparse file format at header magi
    sending sparse 'modem' (28164 KB)...
    OKAY [  2.185s]
    writing 'modem'...
    (bootloader) Unknown chunk type
    FAILED (remote failure)
    finished. total time: 3.429s

Yup. Didn't work.

Any ideas?

You didn't use OUR fastboot. I have a link in our fastboot guide, and a direct link here.

/Thank you for posting the full terminal output, command and all.
    //It helps
    ///Most just post "Help, Help, Help" X doesn't work.
    Kinda feels that way...but on the Linux instructions just use ~/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin instead of /home/USERNAME/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin

~/ means the users home directory

Also, and I'm gonna add this to my faq, but download the fastboot I linked, rename to moto-fastboot, place it in ~/bin and add that to $PATH in ~/.bashrc (or where ever your preferred disto prefers it to be)

My actual path line in .bashrc (the part above I'm referring to is in bold)
    PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/share/android/bin:/share/android/adt/sdk/tools:/share/android/adt/eclipse:/share/android/adt/sdk/platform-tools:$HOME/bin:"

For the curious, I keep all my Android stuff on its own partition (/share/android) so all I have to do is add those directories to my $PATH if I decide to disto hop. If you dualboot, you can do the same thing only set the partition as NTFS or ext2 (there's an windows ext2 driver). I disto hop about once a month.
    Nope

Code:
    C:\Program Files\Android SDK\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash modem C:/qinara/NON-HLOS.bin
    (bootloader) Variable not supported!
    target reported max download size of 31457280 bytes
    Invalid sparse file format at header magi
    sending sparse 'modem' (28164 KB)...
    OKAY [  2.185s]
    writing 'modem'...
    (bootloader) Unknown chunk type
    FAILED (remote failure)
    finished. total time: 3.429s

Yup. Didn't work.

Any ideas?