Difference between Allshare Cast Hub and Dongle?

Search This thread

cproaudio

Oct 28, 2007
Looking for wireless display. Found Samsung Allshare Cast Wireless Hub and Samsung Allshare Cast Dongle. What's the difference between the two?

cmccracken

Nov 10, 2009
There is no such thing as the Allshare Cast Dongle. It is an incorrect name given to the Allshare Cast Hub by people that don't know (or remember) what a "dongle" is. Here is a page explaining the generally-used definitions of a "dongle" (the second was far more common among those that didn't use high-end proprietary software): http://www.techterms.com/definition/dongle

cproaudio

Oct 28, 2007
Looking for someone who knows the difference between the 2products, not just the definition.

Allshare Cast Hub
$%28KGrHqN,!k0FClQoqm9JBQqDyt5gSw~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-SAMSUNG...717508?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2ec3937904
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-EAD...042102?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item257785b836

Allshare Cast Dongle
$%28KGrHqJHJE8FBzeRNziUBQo2LUS27w~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-EAD...323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cd9a3e9b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Sa...895012?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2a2249e6e4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-All...223755?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item20cd886dcb

They are also packaged differently. The Hub has the all the accessories packaged behind the hub. The Cast has all the accessories packaged next to the Cast.

Nirvana388

Aug 19, 2010
Hamilton, ON
They 're the same product, one has just been repackaged specifically for sale with the s3. Likely in a different market from the other. Both connect to a display via hdmi, and WiFi, and then make that display usable with Wi-Di. Not sure if it also supports DLNA but I'm 100% that these are an identical product.

Last edited:

cmccracken

Nov 10, 2009
The one that says "dongle" on the box is sold in Asia and has a different power plug. They are otherwise the same thing. Seriously, just look at the pictures and links you posted.

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
Does it support DLNA or any other standards? I.e can l use say a HTC phone of a Acer Tab with the device?

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
I have the Allshare cast dongle... In the instructions it says it will only allow the Allshare cast app to access the dongle... This is fine so long as you have he allshare cast app installed but I don't.... Samsung store doesn't have it, play store also doesn't have it.... How do you use the damn thing if you can't access the app to use it?
Anyone have the apk to sideload?

DeBoX

Jul 26, 2010
I have the Allshare cast dongle... In the instructions it says it will only allow the Allshare cast app to access the dongle... This is fine so long as you have he allshare cast app installed but I don't.... Samsung store doesn't have it, play store also doesn't have it.... How do you use the damn thing if you can't access the app to use it?
Anyone have the apk to sideload?

Does that mean taht all you need is an app. Say can you run the app on a HTC phone etc? or is it hardware related?

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
I believe it's included in the sammy roms... A lot of checking and some hair pulling finally got it to work. Works better when you have had some sleep and are refreshed....
Allshare cast is a widget in the rom...
I don't think you can d/l the apk for other phones but may be wrong.

Elemetrix

Apr 28, 2010
I believe it's included in the sammy roms... A lot of checking and some hair pulling finally got it to work. Works better when you have had some sleep and are refreshed....
Allshare cast is a widget in the rom...
I don't think you can d/l the apk for other phones but may be wrong.

I don't know much about this All Share thing but if you aren't wanting something portable would something like the Samsung BD-E5500 3D Blu-ray Player with Smart Hub ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-BD-...Z086/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1355155006&sr=8-8 ) be a better purchase? It's barely any more more money and would do the same job and more right?

If so i'm tempted to sell my Sony 3D Bluray player and replace it with that!

cmccracken

Nov 10, 2009
I don't know much about this All Share thing but if you aren't wanting something portable would something like the Samsung BD-E5500 3D Blu-ray Player with Smart Hub ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-BD-...Z086/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1355155006&sr=8-8 ) be a better purchase? It's barely any more more money and would do the same job and more right?

If so i'm tempted to sell my Sony 3D Bluray player and replace it with that!

I looked in to the Blu-Ray player. It does not do the same thing as the AllShare Cast Hub (no wireless HDMI). It only lets you share media across the network, not your display. In Samsung marketing terms, the keyword for wireless display seems to be "Cast".

Elemetrix

Apr 28, 2010
I looked in to the Blu-Ray player. It does not do the same thing as the AllShare Cast Hub (no wireless HDMI). It only lets you share media across the network, not your display. In Samsung marketing terms, the keyword for wireless display seems to be "Cast".

Ah that's rubbish.. basically just DLNA then..

Thought it might be too good to be true.

Asure

May 13, 2010
Ah that's rubbish.. basically just DLNA then..
Thought it might be too good to be true.

I too had expected this to 'just work' since i:
- Purchased an AllShare compatible Samsung TV
- Noticed the name 'AllShare Cast'
- Assumed that it would all share (note the pun)

But, it's not 'just' DLNA. I tried & tested this on N8010. What happens when you activate screen cast is that the tablet sets up a 'wifi direct' link that they want to connect to the 'dongle/hub' and then (maybe dlna?) stream the screen to that dongle, which outputs it by HDMI. To me it seems like a big mistake because they could have had this working with all my Samsung devices in my home, without me needing to purchase additional cables or dongles for my tv('s). In my opinion having 'AllShare' in the screencast app name is a bit misleading :(

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Ok, got me 1 of these little buggers....
If you are rooted you might find you cant use it. You can, you just need to re-install stock recovery and reset flash counter. Even though it is always a count of 1 it will still work, rooted, as long as you have stock recovery.
I'm using UK JB ( not the pre-rooted version found in developement) with root. I rooted it using cwm recovery, then flashed stock recovery through mobile ODIN. I can swap recoveries with mob. ODIN but find it only works with stock recovery.

Hope this helps anyone out there having problems...:D

Oh, and why make things easy when they can make a quick buck... :/

Last edited:
Reactions: sphere314

gpgalanis

Dec 2, 2012
Hi. Let me confirm that Allshare works without any issues both in my stock Note 2 and 10.1 and also displays subtitles without any problem.

cproaudio

Oct 28, 2007
If you are rooted you might find you cant use it. You can, you just need to re-install stock recovery and reset flash counter. Even though it is always a count of 1 it will still work, rooted, as long as you have stock recovery.
I'm using UK JB ( not the pre-rooted version found in developement) with root. I rooted it using cwm recovery, then flashed stock recovery through mobile ODIN. I can swap recoveries with mob. ODIN but find it only works with stock recovery.

Hmmm, My N8000 is rooted, CWM and counter reset. My Allshare Cast Hub works perfectly. I do have 1 complaint though. It only puts out 720P, not 1080P.
I followed this direction for root and CWM. http://rootgalaxynote.com/galaxy-no...t-galaxy-note-10-1-easiest-methodcwmmethod-2/

rlawrence

Dec 28, 2012
Idiots

You guys are all a bunch of idiots that don't know anything about Samsung. They guy wants to know the differences. Is that so difficult?

The dongle duplicates the device that is connecting. In my case, I use my S3 with any HDMI equipped TV. It works flawlessly.

The all Share....is flawed and clunky. It will only let you share photos, videos and music; it will NOT let you stream from your device. It is just a "share" program from multiple devices.

With that said, my S3 works great on the dongle, but my Note 10.1 will not connect. Anyone know why? running 4.0.4 on Note.

gpgalanis

Dec 2, 2012
You guys are all a bunch of idiots that don't know anything about Samsung. They guy wants to know the differences. Is that so difficult?

The dongle duplicates the device that is connecting. In my case, I use my S3 with any HDMI equipped TV. It works flawlessly.

The all Share....is flawed and clunky. It will only let you share photos, videos and music; it will NOT let you stream from your device. It is just a "share" program from multiple devices.

With that said, my S3 works great on the dongle, but my Note 10.1 will not connect. Anyone know why? running 4.0.4 on Note.

Based on the way you replied and the words you used most probably because you are an idiot! The all share works great with my Note 2 and 10 and mirrors everything.

vladichimescu

Nov 22, 2011
manual

Read the manual, when trying to connect a second device which doesn't actually connect, just press the Reset button on the hub/dongle... you idiot !

Sytheii

Jul 8, 2011
Venice
don't you just love those people who pop up in the forum, make a single idiotic post, and then disappear forever? :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.