[APP] Prox: Control of The Force :) A new way to command your phone...

Search This thread

bigthunderkid

Jun 16, 2007
Sydney
hey there, first up I want to say that this is a pretty cool app - it works well on my GSM Desire..... but now the proximity sensor works backwards when on a phone call i.e. the screen is on when holding the phone to my ear, and goes blank when holding it away :(

I tried uninstalling - same issue, then reinstalling - same issue, then uninstalling again - same issue. it's becoming a major PITA.

I've done a quick search in the forums to see if anyone else encountered this issue and may have a solution - but no luck. Any ideas on how I might be able to fix this?

ert69

Jan 24, 2011
I just totally bought it... very awesome app!

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium

biccys

May 29, 2008
Lincoln
As a ridiculous SW fan, this is brilliant!
Found once I'd got the hang of the angle to hold the device (SGS) then the swipes worked a treat. May even buy the full version (and I've only ever bought 3 apps previously, all while drunk!!)

yoni45

Nov 5, 2010
Two feature requests that could make this a very productive app... =)

a. Tasker plugin integration for turning prox on and off, for switching loadouts, and to allow prox to call on Tasker tasks. That way, it could be made context-intuitive based on what you're doing. For example, if there's a phone call incoming, Tasker could switch the loadout so that swiping gestures deal with how to respond to a call (hang up, auto-respond SMS, pick up, etc.).

b. Notification icon to show a symbol depending on the current loadout, so you can make sure that the right one is loaded for your given task... ^_^

meo

question

in the beginning i testet the light software on my desire. it worked well.
now i have a new room version - i want to test it on this room - but know i cant get it out of the market because it should incompatible (not desire software) ???

I dont anderstand this statement - it was compatible !

i cant test it now ??

SemperGumbee

Nov 2, 2010
in the beginning i testet the light software on my desire. it worked well.
now i have a new room version - i want to test it on this room - but know i cant get it out of the market because it should incompatible (not desire software) ???

I dont anderstand this statement - it was compatible !

i cant test it now ??

Your ROM might not be configured right. Read the OP, which explains why it might not show up. There is a link to download the apk to test it. I have no clue why it won't show up, but you can still install it and try it out :)

counterz

Nov 9, 2009
Sydney
Next Version

Just a through that you may have already investigated.

If you used the camera instead of the proximity sensor you could get
1. Greater distance;
2. A more consistent feeling across different phones;
3. More gestures without having to rely on the accelerometer.

SemperGumbee

Nov 2, 2010
Just a through that you may have already investigated.

If you used the camera instead of the proximity sensor you could get
1. Greater distance;
2. A more consistent feeling across different phones;
3. More gestures without having to rely on the accelerometer.

I have definitely thought of that. Coming up with the algorithms required to decode movement caught by the camera would not only be difficult to program, but also pretty expensive processing wise. I do like the greater freedom of being able to break away from the accelerometer, but just thinking about the complexity of the programming makes my head spin. Maybe I'll be able to implement something like that after I graduate :)

SemperGumbee

Nov 2, 2010
Hello all. I have finally found the time to update Prox. I know, right...

Anyways, I have added the ability to disable the constant notification because a lot of people were wanting this. I do give you warning though, Android is aggressive in stopping services that are not run in the foreground so be aware.

Post after original will have all of the changes made, so check there.

I am also going to update the Pro version probably this weekend. I am just starting to get back into Android so be on the lookout :)

Last edited:

SemperGumbee

Nov 2, 2010
Yes sir. Great news

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Thanks. I'm starting to get my act together. There will probably be several updates because I am not too sure about the setting I put in there. If you are careful, it probably won't force close. I am actually embarassed by the coding in Prox. Yes, it works, but it is so horrible to update because I kinda just threw it together. I have learned a lot about UI, services, and just general programming.

Just so you know, there will probably be multiple updates through the next month to bring it up to par. Sorry about not updating sooner :/

polstein

Sep 9, 2007
Excellent news. I found out about the app while you were in hiatus. Love the concept, but was having a lot of problems activating it consistently when I needed it - and it firing off randomly when I didn't. Hope that improves.

Oddly, earlier today, I was wondering if it was possible to hide the notification bar in Android all the time. Not sure I'd want to, but wondering if you could. Then you could use an app like Prox to pull it down when you wanted to see it.

Since home launchers can hide the bar, is that something that (in theory) you could code?

SemperGumbee

Nov 2, 2010
Excellent news. I found out about the app while you were in hiatus. Love the concept, but was having a lot of problems activating it consistently when I needed it - and it firing off randomly when I didn't. Hope that improves.

Oddly, earlier today, I was wondering if it was possible to hide the notification bar in Android all the time. Not sure I'd want to, but wondering if you could. Then you could use an app like Prox to pull it down when you wanted to see it.

Since home launchers can hide the bar, is that something that (in theory) you could code?

All Prox does to expand the notification bar is use a bit of reflection to invoke a system method. If you are playing a full screen game and Prox is active, it will still invoke the status bar, minus the very top part making it look a bit weird. You could definitely use a different launcher to hide the bar while in the home activity, but it is up to the individual apps whether or not to show the notification bar. I couldn't really control all of it. But then again, with root anything is possible. I am definitely a noob in the root field so you would have to look elsewhere for that :/

I am going to pretty much re-do all of the code in both versions of Prox here in the next month or so, so it should be much cleaner and generally work better :)

vincentgdg

Jan 13, 2009
Bielefeld
I am going to add a toward-left and a toward-right. I think the left and right are just a little too hard to get to. It's more natural to hold it toward you and then just tilt it left and right.

Almost a year has passed since then and nothing seems to happen. Is this still worked on?
BTW: I think it is a very bad idea to have shut down the original developers blog, because that is the place where customers inform themselves of updates.
How does it feel when a user clicks on the link in the google market and the first thing he sees is "this is closed since July 2011"?

Cheers
Thomas

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all! I had a thread but it was locked because it was a paid app. Now, there is a free one to check out. It's called Prox Lite and it has just been added to the Android market.

Prox makes use of the phone's proximity sensor and accelerometer to initiate an action. Prox figures out what orientation you are holding the phone and then activates that action when you swipe your hand across the proximity sensor. Prox Lite has 4 actions:

*Flat - Emulate home button
    *Toward - Expand and contract notification panel
    *Left - Launch phone dialer
    *Right - Launch browser (google.com)

All you have to do is turn on the service through the app and then tilt the phone in the direction you are trying to activate the action for and then pass your hand over the proximity sensor and it will activate the action for that direction.

You can amaze your friends, and feel like a Jedi. Imagine the look on your friend's faces when you do things without even touching the phone itself. Just to ease your mind, Prox is disabled when the screen is off and when you are in a call. Normal proximity sensor usage is preserved during these situations to you don't have to worry about Prox doing things when you don't want it to :)

Here are some thoughts about the app :)

Gizmodo best apps (June 10th)
    Lifehacker App of the Day
    Droid-Life App of the Day
    Addictive Tips Post
    Make Use Of Post

Here is a video of it in action (Pro version) if the description I have provided doesn't really make any sense :p Be sure to follow me on Twitter: @SemperGumbee for updates and support.

Here is another video made by one of our own members here at XDA. Thanks patrick848!

He also wrote a little write up here if you want to check it out.

And, here is a link to the android market

Download Prox Lite from Android Market

Download Prox Lite from GetJar

If you have an issue where it doesn't show up in the market or it says that your device is incompatible, I have made Prox Lite available to XDA peeps via direct apk. If your device will allow install from the market, please use the link above, otherwise, click here to download the apk directly. Downloading from the market allows for easier tracking so I would appreciate it if you would download it from there :) This is for the members that cannot find the version because of certain software...

P.S. Some users are having trouble with making this work properly. If you are having issues with the left and right actions, try just a slight tilt and then a swipe. Refer to the video for an example of this. Also, different phones have different proximity sensors and some of them just happen to work better than others. Give it a try to see what you think and don't forget to leave a rating in the market. I hope you enjoy this app :)
    This is really cool. My biggest concern right now, having only just tried it for a few minutes, is potential battery drain. If it doesn't end up being too bad, i may consider trying the full version. It would be nice to be able to hide the notification bar icon, but the full version may already have that.
    running 2.3.4 miui on my hd2 and market also says that it's not available for my phone. can't you share the liet apk here on xda? would like to try this out.

Not anywhere near a computer right now, but yes, I will update the OP when I get home. Be on the lookout...
    I've also bought the pro version and I really like it :)

But I've just updated my Galaxy S II to Android 2.3.4 (I9100XXKG3) and Prox Pro fc's after a restore. I also can't find it in the market.

Does anyone have a solution?

Have you tried clearing the data from the app?
    I've been using Prox since early June. Let me just say, first off, that this developer is one of the best hands-on, dedicated developers I've had the pleasure of dealing with.

When Prox was first released, I was unable to get it on my Evo4g due to market incompatibility issues. SemperGumbee did everything he could to get me the apk for Lite. I used it for one day, and was ready to buy the full version as soon as I could.

The dev worked on the XML tags so I could get the full version from the market, and I've been thrilled with it ever since.

This is, hands down, one of the coolest and most useful moment-to-moment apps I've ever seen. After setting the delay on the sensor, it works perfect (the instant operation is a bit too touchy).

In short, if you've ever wanted to be a Jedi, this is as close as you'll come (short of a homemade lightsaber). The full version is SO worth the money. I can do everything from turn off my screen to launch Facebook with a simple twist of one hand and a swipe of the other.

SemperGumbee, congrats on making it to the XDA frontpage. You deserve it, sir.

P.S. Can't wait for the updates. Icing on an already delicious cake. :+)