[DEVs][Simple] Auto Kernel Install for S-ON Unlocked Devices with MainVer Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

con247

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
I have discontinued support for this since S-OFF is available.
New Update! Easier Than Ever!
How To Install You New Kernel!
With drellisdee's Main Version Fix
Instructions

DEVS: New versions are added. Two zips are attached. One is for flashing zImages, one is for flashing boot images.

Just put the contents up the updater script into your rom along with the kernel folder.

For the zImage one, put a zImage named "zImage" in the kernel folder. For a boot image, put a boot.img named "boot.img" in the kernel folder. Each zip has the appropriate scripting for that type of file. For a rom, it is likely you want the boot image version.

This fixes the main version so that will no longer be an issue with rom installations thanks to drellisdee

OLD NOTES: (Ignore )

-1)Flash the rom of your choice and the boot image distributed with it via a PH98IMG.zip. If it doesn't come with one, just move on.
0)Flash the kernel you want's zip file in recovery. Also make sure there are no existing PH98IMG.zip files on your sdcard
1)Download AutoKernelInstaller.zip attached to my post.
2)Extract the zip
3)If you want ziggy's kernel, move to step 4. If you want another kernel, find the zImage file in the kernel's zip folder and copy it to the kernel folder from my zip file. It should overwrite the zImage file in there now.
4)Run buildFlashable.bat
5)Flash the flashmeinrecovery.zip in recovery
6)My scripts in flashme.zip will perform all of the work to create a PH98IMG.zip and then will automatically reboot to HBOOT
7)Press the power button in HBOOT to select bootloader
8)Select Yes for installing the new boot.img
9)Done :) Your kernel is installed!

To users, you can now use this to flash your own kernels without needing someone else to make it a boot.img specific to a certain rom. You will still need to flash the kernel's zip file in recovery to get the extra stuff the kernel comes with, such as a wifi module. These steps are in addition to that process.

To devs, feel free to add this script to your kernel zip files so S-ON devices can use it without boot.img creation knowledge and so that you don't have to distribute hardcoded boot.img files.

Why is all this necessary? You most likely didn't have to jump through these hoops to install kernels on your other devices...
As most of you have figured out, installing kernels is a multi-step process on the Rezound. First, files for the system partition need to be flashed in recovery. Then a boot.img needs to be flashed that contains the kernel and the ramdisk.

Unfortunately, since the ramdisk changes from rom to rom, kernels cannot be distributed as boot.img files. Therefore, they are impossible to flash without conversion. If you have installed ziggy's kernel, you have probably used my premade flashables. Those are fine for now, until ramdisks begin to change from rom to rom. This flashable zip will insert a kernel into a rom's boot image and then package it into a PH98IMG.zip that is flashable from the bootloader (HBOOT) without fastboot,adb, or PC knowledge required. This saves a ton of work for the user and allows kernels to be compatible with ANY rom.

Returning to stock
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20990402&postcount=2

Attachments

• zImageFlasherRezound.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,090
  • BootImageFlasherRezound.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,312
Last edited:

Marcismo55

Sep 29, 2010
Ventura, CA
Good lookin out on all of this Con...you along with the other developers have been awesome in getting dev for the Rezound off the ground. Thank you!

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Good lookin out on all of this Con...you along with the other developers have been awesome in getting dev for the Rezound off the ground. Thank you!

I am no dev. I have no idea how to make a kernel/rom (for the most part). I just know what with and why users struggle with things and I try to simplify and automate as much as possible. It is better to leave the "real" work for the devs so they don't have to waste time doing things that I can help with.

Reactions: mattbrax19

Evo4gLI

Aug 12, 2011
Long Island, NY
Just out of curiosity, does flashing that first file wipe the internal memory? Not the one with ROM and stuff on it, but the one where your TiBackups are stored and such, because after I flashed the kernel, all my Titanium backups were gone and the internal memory was wiped. I didn't lose anything because I made copies to my desktop computer, but if I hadn't, I would have lost all that stuff. Maybe I did something wrong, but I don't think so, because I followed instructions, and the kernel is installed and working fine.

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Just out of curiosity, does flashing that first file wipe the internal memory? Not the one with ROM and stuff on it, but the one where your TiBackups are stored and such, because after I flashed the kernel, all my Titanium backups were gone and the internal memory was wiped. I didn't lose anything because I made copies to my desktop computer, but if I hadn't, I would have lost all that stuff. Maybe I did something wrong, but I don't think so, because I followed instructions, and the kernel is installed and working fine.

This flashable wipes nothing. It just creates a new flashable boot image from what is already on your device.

pwned3

Jul 23, 2011
Cullman
I actually had the same thing happen to me. Almost all my apps were missing one I installed the kernel. It was odd

sent from my newly unlocked Rezound

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
I actually had the same thing happen to me. Almost all my apps were missing one I installed the kernel. It was odd

Fixed the issue. It was in the PH98IMG.zip it just happened to me also. Sorry guys! Files in 1st post are fixed!

Last edited:
Reactions: Evo4gLI

mrbigdrawsz

Feb 16, 2008
Canton, Michigan
complete noob!!!!!

CON247, you are a huge help with all this and I appreciate your work. Your step by step directions are helpful but sometimes still confusing for noobs. Are there step by step instructions for this that explains what each steps does and why it need to be done? I want to flash a kernel but I'm not sure how to perform all the steps listed here but wish to learn.

Even better knowing so much of this is being done by a fellow Wolverine fan.

Evo4gLI

Aug 12, 2011
Long Island, NY
Thanks Con. I knew it couldn't have been something I did...I've done my fair share of flashing and I hadn't done anything different, I just wanted to make sure it didn't happen to anyone without a copy of their files.

Sent from my HTC Rezound via Tapatalk

Thanks for the hard work on this, one question..what does boot into Hboot mean exaclty? this is not recovery right? is this remove the batter and hold down volume down and power boot thing?

thanks

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:03 PM ----------

nvm got it

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Yessir. It will ask you if you want to update then you hit yes

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using XDA App

danutzz

Mar 24, 2011
Chicago
Just had my first issue with mismatching ROM and boot.img.... all the current roms are based on the original kernal, so if a user has flashed Ziggy's kernal then flashed over any of the existing rom's, functionality becomes lost (such as Wifi in my case). The fix is easy just flash Ziggy's kernal and not touching the boot.img in hboot, but this did cause some confusion.

Anyway, this is a great idea, and I believed it should be stickied (and the title changed from [idea] to [boot.img Standard] !!!!

Reactions: mrbigdrawsz

mxair2001

Jul 19, 2011
Found this from your reply on the other post and followed these instructions. I happened to get my issue fixed and I am back up and running! Thanks!

-mxair2001

Marine6680

Jul 12, 2009
Kingsport TN
Just noticed that the Amon Ra recovery has an option under the Developer menu option to build a boot image from a zimage. Anyone tried that, and does it also fix the ramdisk files too?

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Just noticed that the Amon Ra recovery has an option under the Developer menu option to build a boot image from a zimage. Anyone tried that, and does it also fix the ramdisk files too?

That would be awesome, but we can't flash the boot image from recovery. I have a newer version of this tool coming soon I think (assuming it works lol)

pwned3

Jul 23, 2011
Cullman
Thank you for making this a little easier. I used it flawlessly to try ziggy's kernel again

con247

Sep 1, 2010
Ann Arbor
Thank you for making this a little easier. I used it flawlessly to try ziggy's kernel again

Are the instructions clear enough? I wish this would get stickied. People who keep flashing a boot.img from the stock roms on a custom rom will eventually boot loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have discontinued support for this since S-OFF is available.
    New Update! Easier Than Ever!
    How To Install You New Kernel!
    With drellisdee's Main Version Fix
    Instructions

DEVS: New versions are added. Two zips are attached. One is for flashing zImages, one is for flashing boot images.

Just put the contents up the updater script into your rom along with the kernel folder.

For the zImage one, put a zImage named "zImage" in the kernel folder. For a boot image, put a boot.img named "boot.img" in the kernel folder. Each zip has the appropriate scripting for that type of file. For a rom, it is likely you want the boot image version.

This fixes the main version so that will no longer be an issue with rom installations thanks to drellisdee

OLD NOTES: (Ignore )

-1)Flash the rom of your choice and the boot image distributed with it via a PH98IMG.zip. If it doesn't come with one, just move on.
    0)Flash the kernel you want's zip file in recovery. Also make sure there are no existing PH98IMG.zip files on your sdcard
    1)Download AutoKernelInstaller.zip attached to my post.
    2)Extract the zip
    3)If you want ziggy's kernel, move to step 4. If you want another kernel, find the zImage file in the kernel's zip folder and copy it to the kernel folder from my zip file. It should overwrite the zImage file in there now.
    4)Run buildFlashable.bat
    5)Flash the flashmeinrecovery.zip in recovery
    6)My scripts in flashme.zip will perform all of the work to create a PH98IMG.zip and then will automatically reboot to HBOOT
    7)Press the power button in HBOOT to select bootloader
    8)Select Yes for installing the new boot.img
    9)Done :) Your kernel is installed!

To users, you can now use this to flash your own kernels without needing someone else to make it a boot.img specific to a certain rom. You will still need to flash the kernel's zip file in recovery to get the extra stuff the kernel comes with, such as a wifi module. These steps are in addition to that process.

To devs, feel free to add this script to your kernel zip files so S-ON devices can use it without boot.img creation knowledge and so that you don't have to distribute hardcoded boot.img files.

Why is all this necessary? You most likely didn't have to jump through these hoops to install kernels on your other devices...
    As most of you have figured out, installing kernels is a multi-step process on the Rezound. First, files for the system partition need to be flashed in recovery. Then a boot.img needs to be flashed that contains the kernel and the ramdisk.

Unfortunately, since the ramdisk changes from rom to rom, kernels cannot be distributed as boot.img files. Therefore, they are impossible to flash without conversion. If you have installed ziggy's kernel, you have probably used my premade flashables. Those are fine for now, until ramdisks begin to change from rom to rom. This flashable zip will insert a kernel into a rom's boot image and then package it into a PH98IMG.zip that is flashable from the bootloader (HBOOT) without fastboot,adb, or PC knowledge required. This saves a ton of work for the user and allows kernels to be compatible with ANY rom.

Returning to stock
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20990402&postcount=2
    Apparently abootimg does not like signed boot images. That PH98IMG.zip that fixes your issues is an unsigned stock boot image. This seems to only be a problem if you are trying to flash a kernel over the stock boot.img. This problem will not occur if you attempt to use my installer with a rom that uses a custom boot.img which is the intent of the program.
    Here is the PH98IMG.zip that flashthisimg.zip created. I'm trying to use this to "create" a stock kernel by dropping in the stock boot.img and /system/lib/modules/bcrm49ko from the stock rom... trying to get wifi working again, I'll be surprised if it works...

EDIT: LOL nope didn't do squat, says it flashed 0 bytes in Fastboot :p Wifis still not working. Hey at least it didn't brick or bootloop! Next I'm trying to delete the bcrm49ko and replace just that with the same file from the stock ROM...

Interesting. The boot.img it created does not seem to be valid. Have you flashed ANY boot.img's in the past?

Can you try to flash the attached PH98IMG.zip, reboot, delete it from the sd card, then rerun my scripts? If it works then, I know what the issue is.

I am no dev. I have no idea how to make a kernel/rom (for the most part). I just know what with and why users struggle with things and I try to simplify and automate as much as possible. It is better to leave the "real" work for the devs so they don't have to waste time doing things that I can help with.
    I'm still rather new to this but I was able to overclock awhile back with the autoinstaller. Now when I click that link its gone. How in earth do I use these two files provided? Are they to be flashed in recovery or do I need a installer for these?

I have discontinued support for this because S-OFF is available. There are directions in the OP. This was mainly for use by ROM developers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app