[GUIDE][MOD] Splash Image

Search This thread
Ever since I got S-OFF on my G1, I set up a custom splash image. Here's how to do this on the G2.

Info:
The G2 stores the splash image on the /dev/block/mmcblk0p19 partition. By default, this is a white image with green letters spelling 'htc' in the center of the screen.

Prerequisite:
Install and get familiar with the Android SDK see Android SDK | Android Developers also [HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide) G1 Android Development
Unlock your T-Mobile G2 / HTC Desire-Z / HTC Vision see [GUIDE] Perma-root and flash ENG HBOOT
Install FFmpeg
Windows:
Extract the ffmpeg.exe file from the bin folder in ffmpeg-r25512.7z
- or Shortcut - get the getsplash.zip from gariak
Install the adb (Android Composite ADB Interface) and fastboot (Android Bootloader Interface) drivers from the android-sdk-windows\usb_driver folder
Mac:
Might find this ffmpeg guide helpful - An easy install of the ffmpeg command line tool - Mac OS X Hints

Backup: (Optional)
To get the current image from the phone, execute this from a root shell:
Code:
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 of=/mnt/sdcard/splash.img
On your computer, you can turn this into a PNG using ffmpeg from the command line:
Code:
ffmpeg -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 -s 480x800 -i splash.img -f image2 splash.png

Flash:
You can set the splash by converting an image you want to a 480x800 resolution PNG file, then use ffmpeg to convert it to raw565 format using the command line:
Code:
ffmpeg -i new_splash.png -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 new_splash.img
Then with an unlocked (S-OFF) bootloader, flash the new_splash.img file to your phone:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash splash1 new_splash.img
fastboot reboot
OR you can flash from a terminal window on your phone. Be very careful with this method and triple check that you typed everything correctly so you do not accidentally brick your phone:
Code:
dd if=/mnt/sdcard/splash.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19

References:
Android/HTC/Vision/LinuxAnalysis – TJworld
[Request] MyTouch splash screen?
[TOOL] [Linux / OSX] Splash Screen creator / flasher
gravis86
gariak
An easy install of the ffmpeg command line tool - Mac OS X Hints
wilnotdie

Attachments

• splash_g2.jpg
    splash_g2.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 2,534
  • mmcblk0p19.7z
    1.4 KB · Views: 620
Last edited:

g_grey

Nov 6, 2010
very nice, but what about instead of dd the partition you just use fastboot flash and direct it at the splash partition. but idk, i'm a newb

Weaseal

Aug 9, 2009
My cmd sits at "< waiting for device >" - the device is in fastboot and if I reboot the phone I am able to "adb shell" successfully. Any hints? S-OFF and perma-root are done.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it-needed to install fastboot driver.

Last edited:
If you are using windows, you might have to manually install the fastboot driver the first time you connect it.

Open your device manager without the phone plugged in. Boot to fastboot mode (VOL_D+POWER, then POWER to select fastboot) on your phone. Plug in the phone and watch device manager to see if it finds 'Android Bootloader Interface' or something similar ('HTC Bootloader' is an older driver, but still works). It should show up as USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FFF if you look at its device id.

If the device is detected as USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C94, then it's in HBOOT mode, you need to select FASTBOOT from the HBOOT menu (using VOL_U or VOL_D, then POWER to select).

Last edited:

ffff00

May 21, 2009
Las Vegas
Ive been using a custom bootanimation.zip for weeks. Just push one for another 800x480 device to /data/local/bootanimation.zip

How bout replacing the G2 logo?

Any way we can replace the ugly Tmobile G2 splash picture?

Yes, just push the bootanimation.zip to your sdcard

Code:
adb push bootanimation.zip /mnt/sdcard/bootanimation.zip

then mount the system rw from root terminal on the phone and copy the file

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
cp /mnt/sdcard/bootanimation.zip /system/media/bootanimation.zip

and then reboot.

Last edited:

Attachments

• splash_n1.jpg
    splash_n1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 847
  • splash_n1.7z
    10.2 KB · Views: 128
  • bootanimation.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I dusted off my batch programming skills to make a few files to automate this process for Windows users. I tried to idiot-proof them and make sane error messages, but no promises. I also didn't automate the process of getting the modified splash back onto the device because I'm not going to be responsible for bricks. Use at your own risk, if you like.

getsplash.bat
    Takes no arguments, pulls the splash image off your attached device via ADB and passes it for conversion to PNG format

splash2png.bat input.img output.png
    Takes the above arguments and uses the included ffmpeg.exe to convert an IMG to a PNG for editing

png2splash.bat input.png output.img
    Takes the above arguments and uses the included ffmpeg.exe to convert a PNG to an IMG for adding onto the device

Enjoy!
    Ever since I got S-OFF on my G1, I set up a custom splash image. Here's how to do this on the G2.

Info:
    The G2 stores the splash image on the /dev/block/mmcblk0p19 partition. By default, this is a white image with green letters spelling 'htc' in the center of the screen.

Prerequisite:
    Install and get familiar with the Android SDK see Android SDK | Android Developers also [HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide) G1 Android Development
    Unlock your T-Mobile G2 / HTC Desire-Z / HTC Vision see [GUIDE] Perma-root and flash ENG HBOOT
    Install FFmpeg
    Windows:
    Extract the ffmpeg.exe file from the bin folder in ffmpeg-r25512.7z
    - or Shortcut - get the getsplash.zip from gariak
    Install the adb (Android Composite ADB Interface) and fastboot (Android Bootloader Interface) drivers from the android-sdk-windows\usb_driver folder
    Mac:
    Might find this ffmpeg guide helpful - An easy install of the ffmpeg command line tool - Mac OS X Hints

Backup: (Optional)
    To get the current image from the phone, execute this from a root shell:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 of=/mnt/sdcard/splash.img
    On your computer, you can turn this into a PNG using ffmpeg from the command line:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 -s 480x800 -i splash.img -f image2 splash.png

Flash:
    You can set the splash by converting an image you want to a 480x800 resolution PNG file, then use ffmpeg to convert it to raw565 format using the command line:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i new_splash.png -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb565 new_splash.img
    Then with an unlocked (S-OFF) bootloader, flash the new_splash.img file to your phone:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot flash splash1 new_splash.img
    fastboot reboot
    OR you can flash from a terminal window on your phone. Be very careful with this method and triple check that you typed everything correctly so you do not accidentally brick your phone:
    Code:
    dd if=/mnt/sdcard/splash.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19

References:
    Android/HTC/Vision/LinuxAnalysis – TJworld
    [Request] MyTouch splash screen?
    [TOOL] [Linux / OSX] Splash Screen creator / flasher
    gravis86
    gariak
    An easy install of the ffmpeg command line tool - Mac OS X Hints
    wilnotdie
    Flash splash image with nbimg

I'm just going to detail how I go about making and flashing splash images on my phones. Whatever process you use to actually make your image (whether it is with ffmpeg, nbimg, or whatever), doesn't matter. That final image file you create (named splash1.img), can be swapped into the .zip file attached here, and flashed.

Rename the .zip to PC10IMG.zip and place on root of sdcard to flash in bootloader.

The OP posted directions for ffmpeg, so I will post a howto with nbimg. Nbimg can be grabbed here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=405118

Just extract that file in a directory - there's no install, as it's just a command line tool. I created a folder called Splash Image Creator where I keep that file and all my images in 1 place.

Take whatever image you want to use - modify it, customize it, etc. - and then set the image size to 480x800. Save it as a bitmap file (.bmp).

Put the image in the same folder you have nbimg in.

Now, open a cmd prompt and cd to that folder. Here's your command to type:
    nbimg -F *.bmp -w 480 -h 800
    (replace that star with the actual name of the file)

Nbimg will create a .nb file called *.bmp.nb.
    (once again, the star is the actual filename)

Now just rename *.bmp.nb to splash1.img, and put it in the .zip file to flash.
    (If you still don't know what that star means by now...)

Example:
    You find a nice picture of a sunrise online that you want to use.
    So, you save the 16000x9000 image as awww_sunrise.jpg.
    Edit the pic in mspaint, irfanview, etc. - crop it, resize it, etc. so it's size is now a measly 480x800.
    Save it as a bitmap (awww_sunrise.bmp) and put it in the directory with nbimg.
    Open command line and cd to the directory with the pic and nbimg. Here's your command to type:
    nbimg -F awww_sunrise.bmp -w 480 -h 800
    Now you have a file called awww_sunrise.bmp.nb
    Rename it to splash1.img and put it in .zip file.

Don't forget to rename the .zip to PC10IMG.zip

Hope I helped. :)

Here's a pic of what is currently in the attached .zip. I just made it real quick for this post.
    Nice, what about the bootanimation for the following??:

Anyone have this one?

That is the CM5 boot animation. You can find it in the Nexus One download section on cyanogenmod.com website.
    im trying to do this via termial emulator . it transfers the image but when i reboot mah phone the same tmobile splash screns apear .
    my phone is a mytouch 4g slide runin cm7
    so what im doing wrong or this is not for my phone

The commands in the OP are for the G2/Desire Z. Best thing to do is to search in your device's forum.

Check this thread out: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1356202