Dell HDMI android stick

Search This thread

smartymcfly

Does anyone have one of these ?

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/cloud-connect/pdhttp://www.dell.com/us/business/p/cloud-connect/pd

Copied from the page above.

`OverviewTech Specs

Operating System

Android 4.1, Jelly Bean operating system to support triple play (voice, data and video)

Display

Additional power and control offered by MHL
HDMI/MHL equipped video interface
1080p Full-HD resolution support

Processor

Multi-core Cortex-A9 ARM System-on-Chip (SoC)*
Comprehensive integration of processors and hardware engines*
Powerful 2D/3D graphics capability*
Advanced HD video and audio processing capability

Networking

802.11 a/b/g/n dual band wireless

Ports

MHL/HDMI video interface (at launch)
DisplayPort video interface
1x USB mini for peripherals (keyboard/Mouse)
1x Micro USB host port / External power input
1x Micro SD card slot (expandable up to 72GB flash storage)

Connectivity

Bluetooth pairing button
Citrix Receiver*
VMware Horizon View client*
MSFT RDP

Peripherals

Kybd, Mouse, and Strorage via Bluetooth v3
Or 1x USB mini for peripherals (keyboard/Mouse)

Memory1

8GB flash
1 GB RAM
1x Micro SD card slot (expandable up to 72GB flash storage)

Miscellaneous

LED power indicator
Android applications, music, magazines etc.*
Enterprise level securityDevice security*
Operating system & application level security
Desktop & content security*
Management*
Dell Wyse Cloud Client Manager
Enterprise level security enforcement
System management*
Application and content management
User Self-Service Portal
Real-time reporting, alerts & analytics
Chrome for fast, safe, and easy web access`

Last edited:

smartymcfly

I have a chromecast... I wonder if this will supply all of the chrome cast functionality plus access to all of the other android apps... $129 is nearly 4 Chromecasts for one of these. Well there now exists an android stick with trusted support behind it.
Not that the other providers didn't provide support, dell is a large company with lits of resources.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF6CsV8K6CE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

siratfus

Dec 28, 2011
The dell marketing seems to be focused on the work environment, and this need to connect a mouse and keyboard.

But yeah, I'd like to know too if it does what Chromecast does. Can I watch movies and cast from my smartphone? Can I mirror display?

ohitzjah

Apr 29, 2011
I have purchased one of these and using it for entertainment and work. You have to create a Dell Client Connect Manager starter account and setup users there first with rights. Right now I have XBMC running on it plus netflix, hulu, citrix receiver for work and few other apps. Google play store showed apps to be not compatible with this device so I installed 1market store where I can download the same apps as the Play Store.

hpaco

Jul 18, 2011
I have it too, with netflix the video sometimes pauses, the subtitles go out of sync and never catch up. It comes with Android 4.1.2 and the apps on play store are very limited, you can install more with 1market but some of them will not work.

Also the mouse and actions have some lag, it is not as responsive as my nexus 5 or 7, when you type sometimes it take almost a second to show the letter you typed.

I'm still looking for a way to change the resolution in my 27@ monitor it doesnt look as windows, it's a little blur.

I have purchased one of these and using it for entertainment and work. You have to create a Dell Client Connect Manager starter account and setup users there first with rights. Right now I have XBMC running on it plus netflix, hulu, citrix receiver for work and few other apps. Google play store showed apps to be not compatible with this device so I installed 1market store where I can download the same apps as the Play Store.
Mine shows only 2.9GB storage, there are 8GB advertised, how many GB has yours?

IM0001

Jun 29, 2007
Has anyone had any luck seeing if there Is a way to get around the first setup so I can use it as a normal android Stick without a Cloud Connect Manager account?

For those that have used the Manager account to get a User set up. Does it become useless after the trial is up or is it not needed once an account is made?

freaksworth

Aug 27, 2011
www.xbmcnerds.com
Has anyone had any luck seeing if there Is a way to get around the first setup so I can use it as a normal android Stick without a Cloud Connect Manager account?

For those that have used the Manager account to get a User set up. Does it become useless after the trial is up or is it not needed once an account is made?

Hi,
yes, I just installed another launcher via adb, thats all. google-apps (play) are already installed.
And it looks like you can uninstall the cloud connection manager via settings as well. I did not try it yet.

f

Last edited:

cccbrett

Mar 24, 2014
Dell Cloud Connect (HDMI Android) in Hotels

I have a Dell Cloud Connect, which I was hoping would work (as Dell proclaims it will) as a smallportable device to put my work desktop (via RDP) onto the TV in my hotel room - a potentially extremely attractive feature for those of us who travel a lot.

The first hotel I stayed in (San Jose, CA) had a TV with the requisite HDMI ports. I tried it in both but there seemed to be so much installed with the hotel entertainment systems (OnCmmunications and LodgeNet) that the option to choose the Input was unavailable (or had been made deliberately unavailable); I was not able to change the Input. Has anyone else found this? (One word of warning: I am no TV expert so it is possible I was being dumb.)

On return home the Dongle plugged straight into a projector and an HDMI-equipped Monitor with minimal problems. On the monitor and projector all looks a good except for the hassle of Cloud Connect.

In answer to the question above about whether you have to use the paid CloudConnect, Dell has told me "We do have a Starter version that is available. However only the 14-day pilot (pro) edition is what we send out for piloting purposes. We can however convert your pro edition to starter upon completion of the pilot." I believe the Starter Version is free and supports up to something like 15 or 25 devices.

sessile.fielder

Apr 11, 2014
I just got one of these. I've never owned an Android device before. I was considering rooting it. Does anyone have any advice in that regard?

elproducto

Nov 12, 2012
Dell cs-1a13

2016 Thread Resurrection

It is not necessary to signup for Cloud Client Manager(CCM) to configure device if you select skip button during setup. However signing up for CCM does get you a newer build from Dell. My setup has a resolution issue that make all control you usually see on Android not visible. Which make setup a bit tricky. This issue will continue until resolution is setup correctly. To skip CCM setup move mouse to the bottom of the screen to select skip button that may not be visible. You can address resolution issue by opening the Application drawer, hidden in the top right due to resolution issue. Once the appdrawer is open Select AppUpdater to get all stock applications updated. After update device should now have an application named "ResizeScreen" which should address resolution issue. Not sure if this application only appears in new build downloaded as I did not find the application drawer until after I updated build from Dell.

Ensure to enable "Test Touchscreen support" in Developer options in setting to unblock applications you download that are blocked due to dependency on this setting. I was able to gain root with KingoRoot tethered root method, APK method failed. The KingoRoot SuperSU installed forces portrait resolution on all root privilege request, not good for a TV setup. Supersu I downloaded from Google Appstore works right but it seems KingoRoot SuperSu supersedes it. Devices is a little under powered compared to current Android devices, but It may still make a nice little HTPC. CPU is the same as a Samsung GS2. I am trying to figure out how to get recovery working on this device. I am wondering if I can just flash the same recovery as GS2 or will I need to compile recovery specific to this device? Specs below from CPU-Z.

Device
Manufacturer DELL
Model ID CS-1A13
Android Version 4.1.2
Kernel Version 3.0.31
Battery Capacity 1500 mAh
SoC (Processor)
Architecture ARM (armv7l)
SoC Model Broadcom BCM28155
SoC Family 2x ARM Cortex-A9 @999 MHz
Frequency 999 MHz / Min: 312 MHz - Max: 999 MHz
Main CPU Cores 2 Cores / 2 Threads
Process 40 nm
CPUID 41.3.7.C09.0
Revision R3P0
Features SWP HALF THUMB FASTMULT VFP EDSP THUMBEE NEON VFPV3
Bogomips 2400.25 MIPS
Display (GPU / LCD)
SoC Manufacturer Broadcom
SoC Model VideoCore IV HW
OpenGL Ver. 2.0
LCD Size 13.8 inches / 35.1 cm
LCD Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels
LCD Definition 160 DPI
Memory
RAM 653 MB (1 GB)
Flash 3023 MB

Simonish

Sep 28, 2005
has anyone managed to install an updated android version ie 4.4 or upwards, dell dont have one and it wont run powerpoint

altaweyl

Jan 25, 2017
dellcomputers

The dell marketing seems to be focused on the work environment, and this need to connect a mouse and keyboard.

But yeah, I'd like to know too if it does what Chromecast does. Can I watch movies and cast from my smartphone? Can I mirror display?