Tab pro or tab s

Search This thread

chriso89

May 9, 2013
Hi. I have purchased 8.4" tab pro. Love it. It has good natural screen and is fast. But then I saw online the tab s. Is the screen worth the extra money and is the battery life much better? I am also concerned of the small bezels. Where should I hold it without touching the screen

meboy

Jul 2, 2009
In my opinion (which I'm quite fond of) the Tab S is worth the extra money.
If I already had a Tab Pro 8.4 that would be hard to say.

The bezels are slightly (mm's) slimmer on the Tab S from Tab Pro. If you were fine with the Tab Pro you shouldn't be a lot worse off with the Tab S.

mzimand

Jan 29, 2010
I just returned my Tab Pro and picked up the Tab S. I recommend the 10.5 model just because you can read websites in portrait easier.

I was worried the amoled screen would be too much but it's great and I love the blacker text.
So did I. Went from 8.4 pro to the 10.5 S. So far I am very happy that I did.

snideguy19

Sep 30, 2008
Wheeling, WV
The Tab Pro 8.4" is a quadcore, whereas the Tab S 8.4 is a octacore. So Tab S in this case would be far superior, plus the ultra power saving mode, finger print lock, and Super AMOLED screen is way better too on the "S" series for the 8.4" Tab comparisons.

Sent from my SM-P900 using xda premium

litesout

Jan 17, 2011
Orlando FL
Debatable which processor is faster. Really depends on what you're doing with it. I had a chance to see them both side by side and the SAMOLED screen on the Tab S looked better to my eye, but again that's subjective. IMHO, it comes down to price. They were running the Tab Pro 8.4 for $249 last week. At that price, the Tab S just isn't worth it. That said, I walked out today with a Tab S that was a return from a customer who got the wrong color. Box was unopened, but the guy gave me a decent discount because there was a big sticker that had been ripped off the side of it. Box looked pretty rough, but the contents were untouched.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app

will6316

Mar 11, 2008
The Tab Pro 8.4" is a quadcore, whereas the Tab S 8.4 is a octacore. So Tab S in this case would be far superior, plus the ultra power saving mode, finger print lock, and Super AMOLED screen is way better too on the "S" series for the 8.4" Tab comparisons.

Sent from my SM-P900 using xda premium

It's not superior I wish they'd put the snap 801 instead of the exynos chip as only four cores can work at a time. Unless they can find a way to unlock. Plus it may take longer to root or get custom roms. I had the tab pro and a root was out in a couple of days.

xRevilatioNx

Jul 15, 2012
It's not superior I wish they'd put the snap 801 instead of the exynos chip as only four cores can work at a time. Unless they can find a way to unlock. Plus it may take longer to root or get custom roms. I had the tab pro and a root was out in a couple of days.
Wrong

All 8 cores can work simultaneously.

cranch

Mar 12, 2011
Minneapolis
Wrong

All 8 cores can work simultaneously.

I read the anandtech review it sounds there like it's only 4 at a time though the wording is confusing...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8197/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-review-105-84inch/4

The WiFi only variants of the Galaxy Tab S all feature Samsung’s own Exynos 5 Octa (5420). Internally we’re dealing with four ARM Cortex A15s and four ARM Cortex A7s in a big.LITTLE configuration, with a maximum of four cores of the same type being active at any given moment. The Cortex A7 cluster can run at up to 1.3GHz while the Cortex A15 cluster maxes out at 1.9GHz.

xRevilatioNx

Jul 15, 2012
I read the anandtech review it sounds there like it's only 4 at a time though the wording is confusing...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8197/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-review-105-84inch/4

The WiFi only variants of the Galaxy Tab S all feature Samsung’s own Exynos 5 Octa (5420). Internally we’re dealing with four ARM Cortex A15s and four ARM Cortex A7s in a big.LITTLE configuration, with a maximum of four cores of the same type being active at any given moment. The Cortex A7 cluster can run at up to 1.3GHz while the Cortex A15 cluster maxes out at 1.9GHz.

it won't be the first time anandtech made a major error. I've caught a few gaffes over the years. Since then, I don't trust their reviews. I treat it like going to a doctor. You get a diagnosis but always go to several other physicians for a more informed opinion.

Here's some videos..

"Samsung Exynos 5 Octa (big.LITTLE technology

Heterogeneous Multi-Processing (HMP) Explained

Last edited:

ghetto4eva2k

Jul 6, 2012
it won't be the first time anandtech made a major error. I've caught a few gaffes over the years. Since then, I don't trust their reviews. I treat it like going to a doctor. You get a diagnosis but always go to several other physicians for a more informed opinion.

I was under the assumption that the Exynos 5420 didn't have HMP enabled. Samsung released a vague statement in the past saying that they could update the kernel on devices running the 5420 so that HMP works, but I'm not sure if anything came from it. Of course, I could be totally wrong and Samsung got HMP working on these devices.

According to an Anandtech article (I know, sorry) on the newer 5422 processor back in February:

"The 5422 supports HMP (Heterogeneous Multi-Processing), and Samsung LSI tells us that unlike the 5420 we may actually see this one used with HMP enabled. HMP refers to the ability for the OS to use and schedule threads on all 8 cores at the same time, putting those threads with low performance requirements on the little cores and high performance threads on the big cores."

Last edited:

xRevilatioNx

Jul 15, 2012
Do what I did. Speak to technical support at Samsung.

I'll go one step further. What we do know is that the 5420 in the Tab S is scoring 35,000+ in Antutu...

It seems that our Note 2014 versions usually score about 32,000+, So that lead me to suspect that the newer Galaxy Tab S 5420 was HMP enabled due to the higher Antutu scores.*

And again, had confirmed when I spoke with Samsung directly.

Reactions: Jadefalkon

I'll go one step further. What we do know is that the 5420 in the Tab S is scoring 35,000+ in Antutu...

It seems that our Note 2014 versions usually score about 32,000+, So that lead me to suspect that the newer Galaxy Tab S 5420 was HMP enabled due to the higher Antutu scores.*

My note pro 8.4 with snapdragon 800 scores 35000 as well, I wouldn't call that proof on HMP. When you read the specs for the 5422 they state first chipset with HMP. Color me dubious that it's been turned on for the 5420. I hope I'm wrong

xRevilatioNx

Jul 15, 2012
You're comparing apples to oranges. We have an AMOLED screen using the Exynos Octa 5. The Snapdragon on an inferiorly smaller screen (without AMOLED) will naturally get better CPU/GPU scores on Antutu

Last edited:
You're comparing apples to oranges. We have an AMOLED screen using the Exynos Octa 5. The Snapdragon on an inferiorly smaller screen (without AMOLED) will naturally get better CPU/GPU scores on Antutu

The Pro 8.4 has the same resolution8.4 1600 x 2560 display) minus the amoled, and 1gb less RAM, same Android version.

I do agree any Antutu score is meaningless to prove HMP or not.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just returned my Tab Pro and picked up the Tab S. I recommend the 10.5 model just because you can read websites in portrait easier.

I was worried the amoled screen would be too much but it's great and I love the blacker text.

Please remember that benchmark results are only useful for picking up hot chicks in bars but little else. They have little to do with real world performance. These current CPUs have more than enough power to easily handle anything you can throw at them. Its like arguing over a car that can drive 125 vs 120 when the speed limit is 65.

Any lag you may experience with the Tab S products has far more to do with the lame UI (Touchwiz) than the hardware. Go with another launcher like Nova and wait for some good Roms and kernels.
    The note 10.1 2014 is better than both!
    Yeah, well that's like uh your opinion man...
    *update
    Doing some video tests. I'm playing the Uncharted 4 e3 trailer which is 1080p 60fps and I can tell that the Tab S is dropping frames while the Tab Pro runs through super smooth. I am using the same stock video player and playing it side by side, it's noticeable. I'm thinking its the weak gpu on the Exynos 5. Also, the S has a bit too much saturation in color making it look off when compared to the Pro.

So far I'm really thinking of returning the S and keeping the Pro, I will still test more though.
    I can keep updating my findings if people want.