FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TUT] Tasker - Total Data Connection & Sync Control V4 [MASSIVE Battery Savings!!!]

2,679 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,232

By brandall, Senior Member on 12th April 2011, 03:12 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd May 2011, 02:00 AM |#101  
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmith35sg

Brandall, not to hi-jack but I've followed this thread since you first posted it and seem to have a good understanding of how Tasker works.

If I'm not as much concerned with auto-syncing, is there a theoretical way to create a profile where my 3g/wifi is always off unless i physically open an app?

I first followed this because of my g/f's battery complaints and her sync wishes, but I'd rather be able to check things as I please rather than vice versa and was wondering if you had any insight. Thanks

Hi mrsmith35sg, yes it's possible, but a little messy due to the applications you request to start often flashing up a 'no active connection' error. Regardless, I'll give you the basics.

Context - Application (select Browser for example)
New Task
#1 Kill App (browser)
#2 Turn on data/wifi connection (you can use such variables as %WIFIOC if you'd prefer to check WiFi had successfully connected prior to turning on mobile data)
#3 Wait (for however long it normally takes your device to get a data connection)
#4 Load App - (Load Browser)

Add Exit Task (If you want)
#1 Turn off data connections

Unfortunately the exit task triggers whenever the chosen application is no longer in the foreground (%LAPP). So the minute you press your home button, or flick to another app, however briefly, it'll kill the connection...

Hope that gives you a start to build from!
The Following User Says Thank You to brandall For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brandall Ad-Free

26th May 2011, 04:54 PM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandall

Hope that gives you a start to build from!

Thanks a ton, extremely helpful info
30th May 2011, 09:50 PM |#103  
Flag Nitra
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Hi
Your profiles is perfect & useful.
Two question:
First - Is possible to ad WIFI/Data on-off when screen is on-off.Or how to implement to Your profiles.
Second - How to ad two Auto-Sync profiles one for week and other for weekend.
THX
30th May 2011, 10:28 PM |#104  
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderkilo

Hi
Your profiles is perfect & useful.
Two question:
First - Is possible to ad WIFI/Data on-off when screen is on-off.Or how to implement to Your profiles.
Second - How to ad two Auto-Sync profiles one for week and other for weekend.
THX

Hi raiderkilo, glad they're working for you.

1) Yes, it's possible, but would have to be two separate profiles:

Event - Display Off
New Task
Variable set %WIFISCR to 1
Wait 5 seconds
Mobile data off IF %WIFISCR = 1
WiFI off IF %WIFISCR = 1
Stop

Event - Display On
New Task
Variable set %WIFISCR to 2
** Whatever other conditions you'd like to add here**
Wifi on
Mobile data on
Stop

The 'wait' action stops wifi and mobile data from switching off if your screen switches off for just a moment. If you add these profiles, mobile data and wifi will switch on EVERY TIME you turn on your screen. To stop this happening you need to add lots of other conditions/actions depending on when you want this to occur... Otherwise you'll drain the battery!

2) At the moment you'll have to set up another profile exactly like AutoSync:

New, 'Time' (set this to repeat once every 4 hours of whatever you would like at the weekend).
Task - Autosync
'Done'

Click on the new profile and click 'Add'
Select 'Day' - choose Saturday and Sunday.

Make sure your other weekday profile doesn't overlap!

Hope that helps. Good luck!
31st May 2011, 12:15 PM |#105  
Flag Nitra

More
Thank You for help,works like a charm

Long time have I use Juice Deffender for battery saving,but long term I am not satisfied.
Before I use Tasker only for simple things like Night Profile,Meeting,Keyguard & atc.
31st May 2011, 02:58 PM |#106  
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thank You for help,works like a charm

Long time have I use Juice Deffender for battery saving,but long term I am not satisfied.
Before I use Tasker only for simple things like Night Profile,Meeting,Keyguard & atc.

Great, hope you can get some more ideas from my annoying signature
31st May 2011, 05:00 PM |#107  
Flag Nitra

More
One idea to Display On,how to ad after unlock in stock android or after unlock with Widget Locker(for user with Widget Locker installed).Simply add the task "unlock" or make a profile Unlock?
THX
To ideas from Your Signatures I wonder the CPU Control & Sherlock.In future possible Alarm,but present time I'm satisfied with Gentle Alarms.
31st May 2011, 07:37 PM |#108  
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

One idea to Display On,how to ad after unlock in stock android or after unlock with Widget Locker(for user with Widget Locker installed).Simply add the task "unlock" or make a profile Unlock?
THX
To ideas from Your Signatures I wonder the CPU Control & Sherlock.In future possible Alarm,but present time I'm satisfied with Gentle Alarms.

I think Widget Locker has a plugin for Tasker? I'm not sure... If your device is set to lock straight away, then yes, you could replace the display on/off profiles with 'unlock'/'lock' instead. You'd have to experiment!

That's the good thing about Tasker, you can make every app/profile exactly how you want it...

The CPU profiles are pretty straight forward and they use display on/off contexts, so ideal to combine with what you are doing!
5th June 2011, 12:56 PM |#109  
Flag Nitra

More
For AFTER UNLOCK I change Event - Display On to Event - Display Unlock and ad task about Battery level 25%
5th June 2011, 03:13 PM |#110  
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

For AFTER UNLOCK I change Event - Display On to Event - Display Unlock and ad task about Battery level 25%

Good work. How are you dealing with having the wifi turn on when you are not around a preferred SSID? Is it just staying on??
6th June 2011, 03:57 PM |#111  
Flag Nitra

More
Thats next step.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)