Galaxy note car mount

Search This thread

tsk1979

Jan 24, 2011
I was looking at some mounts on ebay.com (copies of original samsung mount). I am wondering, where will the flip cover come in. Do I have to stretch it back, or just leave it hanging down.
Hanging down is good, because I can use the camera.

I am talking about mounts like these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Windscr...9?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cc3d1c391#shId
Yes, its jiggely. However, if I touch the phone with the dashboard, its stable.
Am getting the non jiggely one too.

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
I have the version that uses the lighter as a power source, not the hardwired version. Rotates very easily, as long as you have cable slack (not an issue with mine, could be with hardwired if you don't plan it well), and holds its position well. Having had several over the years for various phones, I've found that I need to simply tighten the screw once or twice a year to keep the swivel mechanism tight (so it doesn't flop or twist on its own). No disassembly required for this very periodic maintenance... just a 2 second job to snug it up.

You also need to choose a vehicle mount... they make some that are vehicle-specific, others more generic. I don't trade cars often, so went with vehicle specific. The one for my Suburban screwed into a plate in the dash behind a clipped in cover, and could have held a laptop steady. The one for my pickup clips into slots on my dash... was worried whether the plastic would hold up, but 3 phones and holders later it hasn't shaken free once.

I agree with you about the screw-tightening and also that Brodit mounts are in general excellent. My only concern about turning this one to the horizontal was whether the Note might slide out, but you seem to indicate that it's a good, snug fit, so I guess that's not an issue, yeah?

I should say that I already have a Brodit ... what is the name for it? ... "plate" ... in my car, with the central screw that you're talking about, so all I need to do is purchase the mount for the Note and I'm off and rolling. I also have my current mount (Dell Streak) hard-wired into the dashboard, and can easily change that once I changeover to the Note.

hchxoom

Apr 27, 2011
I agree with you about the screw-tightening and also that Brodit mounts are in general excellent. My only concern about turning this one to the horizontal was whether the Note might slide out, but you seem to indicate that it's a good, snug fit, so I guess that's not an issue, yeah?

I should say that I already have a Brodit ... what is the name for it? ... "plate" ... in my car, with the central screw that you're talking about, so all I need to do is purchase the mount for the Note and I'm off and rolling. I also have my current mount (Dell Streak) hard-wired into the dashboard, and can easily change that once I changeover to the Note.

Perhaps this shot of mine upside down will ease your mind... the fit is fairly tight (it takes 2 hands to remove it), and the addition of the power port just adds to the stability. I can't imagine it coming out on its own if in landscape due to anything less than a collision.

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20120521205354925.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20120521205354925.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 547

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
Perhaps this shot of mine upside down will ease your mind... the fit is fairly tight (it takes 2 hands to remove it), and the addition of the power port just adds to the stability. I can't imagine it coming out on its own if in landscape due to anything less than a collision.

Hey, many thanks for taking the trouble to send that, I'm grateful. I'm definitely going to get me one of those! :)

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
I've got the Brodit active mount arriving today (Wahey!). And as soon as they're available again to order in a week or so's time I'm also getting a Mugen 5400 extended battery. This will almost double the thickness of the phone, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will still fit in the Brodit holder! From photos it looks as if it should. Does anyone have experience of this?

lexi250

Jun 25, 2011
Toronto
I tried the cheap goose neck car mount but its very shaky taking videos! The best solid mount is the OEM Samsung vehicle dock kit! I love it, very solid built.

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
I tried the cheap goose neck car mount but its very shaky taking videos! The best solid mount is the OEM Samsung vehicle dock kit! I love it, very solid built.

I'm baffled why you would want to shoot video when the phone is mounted in your car? (Or maybe I shouldn't ask!!).

It may interest followers of this post to know that the phone with the Mugen extended battery fitted fits beautifully into the Brodit car holder! The extra battery size is no impiedence whatsoever.

I am also very happy with the battery, which, as a "normal" rather than "power" user, gives me about three days use between charges.

SpyderTracks

Jan 13, 2007
London

+1 They've done a really good job with it, the only negative is that you need to remove a case, but I don't use one so no issue :D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
I'm baffled why you would want to shoot video when the phone is mounted in your car? (Or maybe I shouldn't ask!!).

It may interest followers of this post to know that the phone with the Mugen extended battery fitted fits beautifully into the Brodit car holder! The extra battery size is no impiedence whatsoever.

I am also very happy with the battery, which, as a "normal" rather than "power" user, gives me about three days use between charges.

To record car accidents.
Have proof so that the perp will have to cough up the money for repairs.

Just a little *extra insurance* when you're driving in a highly dense traffic.
Would you want them to escape without their License Plate, or proof that they were the cause of the accident ??

AidanBell

Jul 3, 2009
To record car accidents.
Have proof so that the perp will have to cough up the money for repairs.

Just a little *extra insurance* when you're driving in a highly dense traffic.
Would you want them to escape without their License Plate, or proof that they were the cause of the accident ??

Wow! A nice idea. Do you have video set up on some kind of "if/then" trigger, or do you actually film the whole of every journey you make?

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
Wow! A nice idea. Do you have video set up on some kind of "if/then" trigger, or do you actually film the whole of every journey you make?

I have a pretty long drive to work in the afternoons, maybe 50km or more. Google Maps says it should take 45mins (Highway 100km), but it always ends up being roughly an hour. And that's cause of the traffic. In fact, we get to a couple stand-stills. Even funnier when its infront of the Speed Camera.

I had the cheap $5 windshield holder from eBay and used to record it from start to end.
I guess you could set it up to trigger in case of an event, such as feedback from the accelarometre. It shouldn't be too hard, and I bet there's already Apps for it. But what if it fails and you miss the shot?
I rather be extra careful, and just delete the recording when I get to work.

The only thing/problem is that it records in front of you... or the direction you set it up and its a narrow view. If you are hit in the back, its the fault* of the car behind you so you need to make sure they dont escape and you get their plate/license/insurance details. However, if you are hit in the front, they classify it as your fault. Unless you can prove that the other car was driving reckless and trying to overtake you when you had no space to give. Then you can dispute it, and make them cover your insurance. Which this setup is perfect for. Cause in Sydney 90% of drivers are morons, and I rather be safe than sorry.

After awhile, I stopped doing it, and the cradle broke (my fault). So now I'm at risk again until a new one arrives.
And I do say at risk, because there's been at least 3 accidents that occurred right next to me within this 18month gap. No wonder my insurance has such high premium ($1,000 annually for partial-cover, thats a joke).

Last edited:

Johev

Aug 23, 2009
Brussels
Hi everybody, I am also looking for a good and reliable (if possible portable) car mount for my Galaxy Note. The problem I have is that I use Otterbox Commuter, and I am not willing to take it out every time I get into a car and want to use the GPS.

As I am going on Holidays next month, and I will be renting a car there, I would like to have a portable car mount just to get me by the new places. I already have the car charger, which works great with this phone.

Thank you all for your help.

Kangal

Jan 3, 2006
Hi everybody, I am also looking for a good and reliable (if possible portable) car mount for my Galaxy Note. The problem I have is that I use Otterbox Commuter, and I am not willing to take it out every time I get into a car and want to use the GPS.

As I am going on Holidays next month, and I will be renting a car there, I would like to have a portable car mount just to get me by the new places. I already have the car charger, which works great with this phone.

Thank you all for your help.

You should look for a Universal Car Cradle on eBay/other sites.
Just measure the width and thickness of the Otterbox.

I'm sure you'll find an alternative, though there ain't much out there for 6+ inch devices that are thick. You might even have to buy one for a 7in tablet, and it might support the Otterbox. Good Luck

Johev

Aug 23, 2009
Brussels
Thanks for the reply, but I think I will try the Exogear Exomount universal car cradle. From what I have seen I think this might just do it, if anyone has it please report back but all the reviews that I have read so far have been positive.

Wish me luck ;)

lexi250

Jun 25, 2011
Toronto
Anybody looking for the OEM Official Samsung Galaxy Note Vehicle Dock Kit? I just got a Note 2 and no longer can use this car dock kit, the dock is in great condition and comes with box and all original equipment. Looking for $30USD + shipping. Let me know,

samsung-original-vehicle-dock-kit-for-galaxy-note-5-3.jpg

mirakels

Dec 13, 2011
Anyone experience with these Air Vent Mount Holder (from dx.com)?
Are they any good? Or could the holder+note be to heavy and break the air vent?

Thanks

Top Liked Posts