[Q] Power Button Issues :( lol

Search This thread

fenchai

May 10, 2011
Hi, I just bought a new phone, yes, i guess you know what it is.

G900H (damn...) I wanted F version.

Well, Everything worked nicely, then I tried water, apps, anything, the phone worked.
BUT something happened, power button didnt work, sometimes it did sometimes it didnt... Then I restarted, a LOT, pulling battery etc, It booted itselft btw. Then I deleted apps, etc. Somehow, after 30+ restarts, it worked! phone worked normally, i was like, WTH.
then after 2 or 3 months, now...
Today I washed the phone, everything closed, it looks like after that, the phone's power button doesnt WORK... :( (every other button worked fine, all operations up to date. nothing bad)
I went to recovery.. power button didnt work. volume, home did work.
I asked myself, did I screw up the power button? then should I wait for the phone to dry out? WTH. This thing worked for so many times, NOW it doesnt...wat do i do..

DOWNLOAD MODE

once in download mode, volume + to go volume - to restart phone.

I couldnt CLICK any option.WTH
WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY PHONEEEE

yes, warranty is void :(

anyone happened the same?

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
should I wait for the phone to dry out? WTH.

WTH indeed. Should you wait for the phone to dry out? Seriously? Electricity and water.

You shouldn't be washing a phone. Carefully wipe it with a damp cloth perhaps. And yes wait for it to dry. If you are lucky, it will be okay after it dries, although it sounds like you have a physically damaged button.

You could try reverting to 100% stock to rule out software issues. The only proper fix for physical damage is to replace the power button. The part is dirt cheap, but the labour to disasemble yourphone and install it could be quite expensive.

A possible workaround would be an app that remaps the button elsewhere. That won't work to power on the device, but may help for routine operation once it's already on. Should your power button completely fail, you can use an USB JTAG adapter to turn your phone on.

fenchai

May 10, 2011
WTH indeed. Should you wait for the phone to dry out? Seriously? Electricity and water.

You shouldn't be washing a phone. Carefully wipe it with a damp cloth perhaps. And yes wait for it to dry. If you are lucky, it will be okay after it dries, although it sounds like you have a physically damaged button.

You could try reverting to 100% stock to rule out software issues. The only proper fix for physical damage is to replace the power button. The part is dirt cheap, but the labour to disasemble yourphone and install it could be quite expensive.

A possible workaround would be an app that remaps the button elsewhere. That won't work to power on the device, but may help for routine operation once it's already on. Should your power button completely fail, you can use an USB JTAG adapter to turn your phone on.

Hi bud,

thanks for replying,
I got so scared, but it looks like now everything works, I put the phone to charging, the button looks perfect, y clicks and everything.. i dont see how it is damaged T.T
Maybe water entered somewhere? Damn u samsung, water proof THaT.
After charging a bit, I was stuck in recovey, I tried pressing power button . IT Worked! then it didnt, I had a few self reboots but everything is fine now.
So I guess I had to dry it. How? I cant know, the phone seems dry to me. Maybe theres a small hole where water could enter in power button?
let me see your opinions.

Sent from my SM-G900H

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
the button looks perfect, y clicks and everything.. i dont see how it is damaged

Looks perfect, clicks and everything. But doesn't work reliably. And you can't imagine how it could be damaged? I would have thought the erratic operation to be a clue.

fenchai said:
Damn u samsung, water proof THaT.

Show us where Samsung ever wrote that the phone is waterproof. It's water resistant, which means that it will probably save you from permanent damage if it gets accidentally wet. A splash, rain, a one time drop into shallow water. But tempting fate by routinely exposing it to water; washing it or taking it along when snorkeling would be imprudent.

It's unclear from your last post if the button is now working properly or not. If it is, great. If not, you will find some suggestions in my previous post. Good luck.

fenchai

May 10, 2011
Looks perfect, clicks and everything. But doesn't work reliably. And you can't imagine how it could be damaged? I would have thought the erratic operation to be a clue.

Show us where Samsung ever wrote that the phone is waterproof. It's water resistant, which means that it will probably save you from permanent damage if it gets accidentally wet. A splash, rain, a one time drop into shallow water. But tempting fate by routinely exposing it to water; washing it or taking it along when snorkeling would be imprudent.

It's unclear from your last post if the button is now working properly or not. If it is, great. If not, you will find some suggestions in my previous post. Good luck.

yes, it is working properly now :) may have been because of water damage. thanks

Sent from my SM-G900H