Easy way how to improve 3G(2G) troughput

Search This thread

jklong03

T-Mo throttles?

That is an interesting idea. I have the unlimited G-1 Plan but even with 4 bars and 3G coverage, I only see about 350K as the best download speed both with and without the patched build.trout.prop. :(

Could they be lowering d/l rate due to my high Internet usage on my phone? :confused:

jubeh

Mar 15, 2009
found another property inside hero's build.prop:
ro.ril.hsupa.category=5 (it's set that way)
so maybe we can manually specify hsdpa and hsupa as opposed to hsxpa, I wonder about the 5 though

vikings1928

May 24, 2009
San Diego
That is an interesting idea. I have the unlimited G-1 Plan but even with 4 bars and 3G coverage, I only see about 350K as the best download speed both with and without the patched build.trout.prop. :(

Could they be lowering d/l rate due to my high Internet usage on my phone? :confused:
Jklong03,
I just found out through T=Mobile that there unlimited plan is not unlimited. They have a 10gb cap limit on there plans. i had found this ouy because i went over and I got a text from them saying i will not be charged any overage but my speeds will be lowered from 3g to edge. It sucks but Verizon and Sprint have a 5gb limit snd they charge overages.

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
This should be universal. I have AT&T 3G new in my area so it isn't like it is a massively overloaded network. I usually get about 1500-2000kbps down & 200-300 kbps up so I will try this & test it.

Also, it all comes down to if you have HSUPA or not. 3G is UMTS, ~350kbps down/up max. Then there is 3.5G, which is HSDPA & HSUPA. HSDPA allows the 3200kbps down that is the typical theoretical max in North America but most European networks use 7200kbps down max. HSUPA does the same thing but for upload speeds only.

I believe that in most places where you have AT&T HSDPA you have HSUPA also. Just my $.02...
How can you be using AT&T 3G on an ADP1?

shagge68

I thought Cyanogenmod started off as a collection of the best modifications.
Now everyone is coming out with better modifications to Cyanogenmod files. And they're not included in the newest CM releases.
What's up with that?

I won't speculate on theory to why Cyanogen isn't respectfully reaching out to improve but I will say that if you want to use an amazing ROM that is truly pushing what your device will do start looking at @wesgarner's HERE. He is doing some great work that is extremely stable and blazing fast.

Build 8 will include a similar if not the same enhancement.

brian_v3ntura

Jan 8, 2008
Jacksonville , FL
It seems that is work for most users with rom based on DRC83. It seems that works in US and EU region. Therefore I decided to start separate thread (something was discussed in cyanogen's thread).
I tested it on cyanogen 4.2.7.1 but it should work with other ROMs too. I think that improvement is depedent on presence of HSUPA feature in your network.
Try it and let us to know....

I have found that my cyan G1 is much slower in uplink in 3G network than official TMO EU G1. Same radio but "primary band" (phone info menu) was different....
Cyan (and other US ROMS):
62.50S.20.17H_2.22.1.26l
TMO EU:
62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l

I found difference in build.trout.prop (build.prop - TMO) which make this difference.

Cyan (TMO US):
ro.ril.hsxpa=1
ro.ril.gprsclass=10
TMO EU:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12

I changed values in build.trout.prop.... TADAAA
62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l is showed in phone info. Uplink is almost three times faster. It seems that is some improvement in EDGE too (gprsclass).

THEORY:
US ROMS has disabled HSUPA feature.
ro.ril.hsxpa=0 - UMTS r99
ro.ril.hsxpa=1 - HSDPA
ro.ril.hsxpa=2 - HSDPA/HSUPA

script which apply all stuff (thanks cloverdale)
note: script use cyanogen build.trout.prop
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5081309&postcount=7036

or

1) adb pull /system/build.trout.prop build.trout.prop
2) edit with notepad++ (or other unix format capable editor)
3) adb remount
4) adb push build.trout.prop /system/build.trout.prop
5) reboot

in on other roms change build.trout.prop to build.sapphire.prop or build.prop depending which one your ROM using

how do u install using terminal? i could nvr get ADB working on my computer.

EDIT: i used http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5081309&postcount=7036 but isnt this just to back up ? well anyways

BEFORE: (using speedtest.net app)
976 kbps download
381 kbps upload

Last edited:

cl2eep

Aug 27, 2008
Altamonte Springs, Florida
twitter.com
I'm not to familiar with how towers work in relation to the phones, beyond what bands have what speeds, so forgive me if this is ignorant, but I do know that in many areas, T-Mobile's towers are already HSDPA, they just haven't officially announced it. Could this somehow be exploiting that, at least in the US? I'm pretty confident that this gave me improved speeds. I ran my speed tests simultaneously my buddy's G1 and mine several times, and each time mine beat his. It was in my apartment, which gets two bar 3G. Averaging out of 3 tests:

Me:
900 down
200 up

Him:
500 down
128 up

Mine actually hit 1200 several times, and I never saw his go above 560. I'm going to do more tests tomorrow when I'm in Orlando with maximum coverage.

chevycowboyusa

Jun 9, 2009
Big Bear City, Ca
Interesting

I wasnt able to speed test, but I'm pretty sure it just boosted my signal strength. I just got a phone call in a building that I never get reception in!?!?!?!?!

lordofsilence

Oct 25, 2009
Saint Louis
I manually changed this two files build.sapphire.prop and build.trout.prop using SU File Manager & Terminal,after that I restarted the G1 and run a speedtest.
TMobile-US and enomther´s v.2.2.1
Before:
560 down
270 up

888 down
870 up

So seems like this doing the trick.You can also unzip the rom and change the values on the files or you can extract those two files you can even change the values with wordpad and put them back on the device with the mentioned file manager.

Thanks for sharing this Stimpoff.

Last edited:

NPS_CA

Feb 9, 2009
Backhaul

I'm not to familiar with how towers work in relation to the phones, beyond what bands have what speeds, so forgive me if this is ignorant, but I do know that in many areas, T-Mobile's towers are already HSDPA,...

T-Mobile on their 3G network is primarily all HSDPA now - it was mainly an infrastructure upgrade path. The backhaul to most cell sites - irregardless of the network are typically T1's. This will provide about a 1MB to 5MB depending on how many T1's are deployed - so in some cases even if HSDPA was added to local sites the backhaul may not be upgraded and hence speeds may not increase. Some networks for 3G+ are deploying faster circuits through various other technologies - T-Mobile has in some key markets where they have deployed new backhaul providers.

This is an old release but it did show some previous agreements. Other providers (including AT&T provide backhaul for T-Mobile).... Really you get stuck with the incumbent local telco carrier if a valid 3rd party hasn't built out a reliable data network in the region. http://www.t-mobile.com/company/Pre...ackhaul Agreements for Six Major U.S. Markets

cl2eep

Aug 27, 2008
Altamonte Springs, Florida
twitter.com
T-Mobile on their 3G network is primarily all HSDPA now - it was mainly an infrastructure upgrade path. The backhaul to most cell sites - irregardless of the network are typically T1's. This will provide about a 1MB to 5MB depending on how many T1's are deployed - so in some cases even if HSDPA was added to local sites the backhaul may not be upgraded and hence speeds may not increase. Some networks for 3G+ are deploying faster circuits through various other technologies - T-Mobile has in some key markets where they have deployed new backhaul providers.

This is an old release but it did show some previous agreements. Other providers (including AT&T provide backhaul for T-Mobile).... Really you get stuck with the incumbent local telco carrier if a valid 3rd party hasn't built out a reliable data network in the region. http://www.t-mobile.com/company/Pre...ackhaul Agreements for Six Major U.S. Markets

Well there you go. I'm in Orlando, which is specifically mentioned in that release as using Bright House to backhaul. BH is actually the fasted ISP in town, so that's probably a good thing.

daveid

Jan 5, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Well, just to report, I am here in the US (Baltimore, MD), and I thought I'd chime in.. I applied this out of curiosity, and my build # changed, but my speeds are exactly what they were before. A little under 1Mbps down, and about .35Mbps up.

brian_v3ntura

Jan 8, 2008
Jacksonville , FL
okay i decided to start from scratch..i took cyans newest rom. extracted the build.trout.prop and edited it myself. used ROOT EXPLORER to replace the new edited build.trot.prop and rebooted

all speed test were in one location in my room...right beside my window.

BEFORE: (using speedtest.net app)
976 kbps download
381 kbps upload

i got consistent speed results

AFTER: (using speedtest.net app)
~ struggles to get to 900kbps download and i do mean struggles after numerous test
~ struggles between 250-320 kbps upload...

soo question..why are my result sucking now

maxawesome

Apr 25, 2008
Seattle
Here's my info:

Signal Strength:
3G with 3 bars

Method:
XtremeLabs Speedtest app

Phone:
T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream)

ROM:
CyanogenMod 4.2.7.1 (latest)

Before mod:
Max speed:
277.4 Kbits/s down
132.1 Kbits/s up

After mod:
Max speed:
967.8 Kbits/s down
166.4 Kbits/s up

So, I gained almost 700 Kbits/s download speed and 34 Kbits/s up.

****ing rad. Can't wait to see what kinds of speeds I get in downtown Seattle with full signal.

Looks like Cyanogen might want to include this in his next build...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: it seems that for some users is needed to do two reboots after each change of prop file.

It seems that is work for most users with rom based on DRC83. It seems that works in US and EU region. Therefore I decided to start separate thread (something was discussed in cyanogen's thread).
    I tested it on cyanogen 4.2.7.1 but it should work with other ROMs too. I think that improvement is depedent on presence of HSUPA feature in your network.
    Try it and let us to know....

Comparison video - two G1 simultaneously (sorry for poor quality-Nokia)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskKwh2xBXs

I have found that my cyan G1 is much slower in uplink in 3G network than official TMO EU G1. Same radio but "primary band" (phone info menu) was different....
    Cyan (and other US ROMS):
    62.50S.20.17H_2.22.1.26l
    TMO EU:
    62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l

I found difference in build.trout.prop (build.prop - TMO) which make this difference.

Cyan (TMO US):
    ro.ril.hsxpa=1
    ro.ril.gprsclass=10
    TMO EU:
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2
    ro.ril.gprsclass=12

I changed values in build.trout.prop.... TADAAA
    62.50S.20.17U_2.22.1.26l is showed in phone info. Uplink is almost three times faster. It seems that is some improvement in EDGE too (gprsclass).

THEORY:
    US ROMS has disabled HSUPA feature.
    ro.ril.hsxpa=0 - UMTS r99
    ro.ril.hsxpa=1 - HSDPA
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2 - HSDPA/HSUPA

script which apply all stuff (thanks cloverdale)
    note: script use cyanogen build.trout.prop
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5081309&postcount=7036

or

1) adb pull /system/build.trout.prop build.trout.prop
    2) edit with notepad++ (or other unix format capable editor)
    3) adb remount
    4) adb push build.trout.prop /system/build.trout.prop
    5) reboot

in on other roms change build.trout.prop to build.sapphire.prop or build.prop depending which one your ROM using
    to summarize this...
    This mod could help in areas with at least 7,2Mbit HSDPA in downlink
    Definitely improve uplink in HSUPA area - without this mod isn't possible to break 380kbit barrier

It will not help in case that you are blocked by operator's QOS (throtling, shaping)
    It will not help in interfered areas.

Don't expect miracles in case your operator doesn't have sufficient technology.

From previous post is visible that somebody experiencing huge improvement, somebody slight, somebody non improvement and some few degradation.

Again this mod isn't an miracle which will improve 3G speed beyond operator's capabilities. It just enable higher coding schemes on your phone, that's all.