Notification Queue, fixing & cleaning HOWTO

Search This thread

sunny127

Oct 8, 2007
I found a solution for calendar notifications that won't work, even after cleaning the notifications queue using programs like MemMaid.

One day ( After I missed a meeting ) I realized that my callendar notifications just won't work!
I used programs like MemMaid, wich cleaned some notifications, but the callendar notifications remained un-notified.
I tried to erase All notifications ( Using Task Manager ) but that didn't solve the problem as well.

Finally, as I was completely desperate, I found an option in "Pocket Informant 7" under "Special Tools" ( or something like that ) to recreate the notification mechanism, and from that moment on, the callendar notofications worked like a charm ! :D

sl9

Sep 30, 2005
Finally, as I was completely desperate, I found an option in "Pocket Informant 7" under "Special Tools" ( or something like that ) to recreate the notification mechanism, and from that moment on, the callendar notofications worked like a charm ! :D

That sounds very handy, what it seems to do is delete the entire notification queue, and then re-create it from scratch. That does sound a bit of an extreme way to do it though!

You could have probably fixed it by using the information in my first post to clean it manually.
Sometimes just cleaning the duplicate notifications is not enough, the queue can become corrupted or over-full. If this happens, there is only 3 ways to fix it:
1. Hard reset.
2. Use the function of Pocket Informant 7 mentioned above.
3. Follow the instructions in my first post to clean it manually.

Aug 29, 2007
I wrote a small free application, that clears notification queue. It works fine for me. Can someone (who have alarm problems) run and check it as well.

Download

Thank you

Hi, I need to integrate similar functionality into my app to clear certain notifications. Are they stored in the registry or file system, or are they accessible via managed or unmanaged API calls?
Thanks in anticipation!

sawiye

Dec 18, 2007
Very useful post, thanks!

One minor thing that I thought would be useful to noobz like me: if you are using File Explorer, in the final step when trying to run the programs like clocknot.exe, you need to first go to the menu in File Explorer and check "Show All Files" otherwise you wouldn't see any of these programs.

Aug 29, 2007
Hi, I need to integrate similar functionality into my app to clear certain notifications. Are they stored in the registry or file system, or are they accessible via managed or unmanaged API calls?
Thanks in anticipation!

I have answered my own question on this. It can be done via managed code if you PInvoke a couple of functions.

CeGetUserNotificationHandles,
CeGetUserNotification
CeClearUserNotification

There's plenty of info on this stuff is on MSDN.

sunny127

Oct 8, 2007
I've noticed that if I don't sync my PPC with desktop for about 1 month, notifications die.

The "rebuild notifications database" feature in Pocket Informant 7 was removed in PI8. Seems they will try to sell this feature in a seperate application. It didn't always work anyhow.

Until I read this post, I was manually deleting notifications, and then setting the date in the PPC one day back and then setting it once again to the present moment, and the notifications where created, but your method looks much better. :)

varvocel

Feb 9, 2007
I've noticed that if I don't sync my PPC with desktop for about 1 month, notifications die.

Interesting, I didn't sync my PDA with PC since I bought notebook with Vista and (fingers crossed) I've no problems with NQ (8 months). This is very unpredictable bug in Windows Mobile...

bones20

Jun 7, 2008
I've setup SKtools to clean notification Queue every night while I sleep and so far my morning alarm has gone off as it should.

Embarrasing how M$ can deliver an os that can't even work reliably as an alarm clock... :mad:

(WM6 on Tytn)

I wanted to do the same thing. However, I am not able to find the schedule option for clearing the notification queue in either sktools or skschema. Could you please tell me how you have done this? Thanks!

varvocel

Feb 9, 2007
I wanted to do the same thing. However, I am not able to find the schedule option for clearing the notification queue in either sktools or skschema. Could you please tell me how you have done this? Thanks!

Tools -> Settings -> Automation: choose needed options (mainly related to NQ) and set Scheduled run.

jamesshami

Nov 18, 2008
This is version 0.1 of a guide I am putting together about the Windows Mobile Notification Queue. I don't really know which forum to put this in, so mods feel free to move it if you feel that General is not the best place - thanks.

WARNING: Follow the advice below at your own risk! Backup your device first before trying any of this! Messing with the Notification Queue can stop Activesync and other software working permanently if you screw up, which only a hard reset can fix!!!

### Preface ###
After calendar reminders (and other notifications) stopped working again on my HTC Universal running WM5, I decided to do some research into this so-called "Notification Queue" and find out what each entry did, which were causing problems, and which ones could be safely deleted.
There is very little information out there regarding the notification queue (and a lot of misinformation), so I have gathered up what I could and hopefully this will be the only post you need to read if you are having problems with alarms/reminders/notifications/etc, or just want to do some spring cleaning to speed up your device.
The Notification Queue is present on all WM2003, WM2003SE, WM5, and WM6 devices - both PDA's as well as Pocket PC phones. I don't know about the Smartphone, I don't think MemMaid works on those devices anyway, can any Smartphone owners comment?
Its purpose is to basically run tasks and activate alarms/reminders at scheduled times, particularly when the device is in standby or low power mode.
The Notification Queue is the cause of many problems/bugs such as alarms/reminders not working, or alarms going crazy when the device is rebooted, etc. It does not cause anywhere near as many problems on WM6, but WM6 users may still benefit from this information.

### Tools you will need ###
DinarSoft MemMaid. The 15 day free trial will be enough, or you could buy it. Other software exists that will do the same thing, but this guide will focus only on MemMaid.
Also some backup software like SPB Backup!

Firstly: Install MemMaid, but don't open it just yet. Disconnect your device from your PC so that Activesync is not connected, then you should also properly close/kill ActiveSync with your task manager so that it doesn't interfere with the queue by frequently adding new repllog.exe entries (perhaps this is not required, but I think it is a good idea anyway).

Secondly: Now open MemMaid, and click on the second tab which should be the Notification Queue. This is where you need to be.

### Entries in the Notification Queue ###
Duplicates: The first thing you should do is press the "Find Duplicate" button, and remove all duplicate notifications. This is safe to do.

"Blank" entries: These appear to be blank, but when you select them, they have lots of seemingly random hex letters and numbers. These are left over from old failed ActiveSync connections, and should be deleted.

repllog.exe: These are all added by ActiveSync, and are necessary for it to work correctly. There should only be a few (like 3 or 4) entries in the queue, all of which look different from each other. You can only safely delete ONE type of them, which is the type at or near the top of the queue that looks like this: Argument: /sched /remote /h 01 October 2007 - 16:48:56. Delete any of this type that have dates/times in the past, but leave the future ones alone. And definitely leave the other repllog.exe entries alone that appear further down in the queue!

CALENDAR.EXE: Delete all of these, don't worry they will be re-added in the proper order later on. A backlog of these are what causes most problems.

\Windows\clock.exe: Same as CALENDAR.EXE - delete all of them. Also the cause of many problems. If you do find any of these, after deleting them you should then turn off all Alarms in Start->Settings->System->Clock & Alarms.

\\.\Notifications\NamedEvents\xxxxxx: The SCRIPT ones apparently relate to the flashing screen notification type for your device, but they don't seem to cause any harm and I don't know enough about them, so don't delete these.

CALNOT.EXE | \\Windows\calupd.exe | clocknot.exe: Leave these well alone, unless you have some with dates/times in the past (at or near the top in MemMaid) AND there are also others of the same type in your queue with dates/times in the future (in the middle or bottom). If this is the case, delete only the ones in the past. If in doubt, leave it alone, unless you have a backup and are feeling adventurous! :)

\\Windows\sddaemon.exe: This is the Smart dialer service. There should only be 1 of these entries after you cleaned the queue of duplicates earlier, so leave this alone.

There will probably be some other entries not mentioned here caused by software you have installed, leave these alone also unless you have good reason to think otherwise.

At this point if you scroll to the top of your Notification Queue, the first few entries should all have dates/times in the near future, and nothing else in the queue should have a date/time in the past. So you have cleaned your Notification Queue, and now you only have one last step to perform :)

### FINAL STEP (important) ###
You can now close MemMaid. Open up your favourite file explorer, the WM5 default one will do but personally I prefer Resco Explorer 2007. Navigate to the My Device\Windows\ directory. There are a LOT of files in here, so it may be a bit slow.
Now you need to execute each of the following 3 files, only once and in this order:
  • clocknot.exe
  • calnot.exe
  • calupd.exe
It will seem like nothing has happened once you execute each of these, as they all run in the background and are very small files.
Then, close Explorer and perform an ActiveSync connection with your PC to make sure your calendar entries are properly registered on your device.
Now you should wait at least 5-10 minutes for your changes to be saved by the operating system, then you can perform a soft reset and any notification-related problems you were having previously should all be gone! (and your device may be a little bit faster too) :)

Thankyou!!!!!!!! Worked like a dream..!!!!

Biker1

Oct 28, 2008
Thank you for putting this thread together.
I kept getting a notification que pop up that said I had 300 reports or something like that.
I followed your instructions and got rid of 180 duplicates right off the bat.
I got rid of some other stuff also as you recommended.
One thing is that I could not find the 3 folders in Device Windows as I scrolled thru alphabetically but I did not thru to the end of the lists. I don't know if they are there but I went right to the next step. Hopefully this isn't an issue.
I connected to my pc and started active sync and sync worked fine.
I will reset my Diamond in a couple of minutes as I just followed your instructions.
Memmaid seems like a really nice app and I will most likely purchase it at the end of the trial period.
Thanks again for your thread.
Maybe I will have less conflicts on my Diamond now :)

Last edited:

polemos

Jan 20, 2008
Athens
They are not folders but files.

Thank you for putting this thread together.
I kept getting a notification que pop up that said I had 300 reports or something like that.
I followed your instructions and got rid of 180 duplicates right off the bat.
I got rid of some other stuff also as you recommended.
One thing is that I could not find the 3 folders in Device Windows as I scrolled thru alphabetically but I did not thru to the end of the lists. I don't know if they are there but I went right to the next step. Hopefully this isn't an issue.
I connected to my pc and started active sync and sync worked fine.
I will reset my Diamond in a couple of minutes as I just followed your instructions.
Memmaid seems like a really nice app and I will most likely purchase it at the end of the trial period.
Thanks again for your thread.
Maybe I will have less conflicts on my Diamond now :)

If you are reffering to the:

clocknot.exe
calnot.exe
calupd.exe

they are not folders but files.

They are also hidden so if you wish to find them you must first enable to show all files in explorer.

I hope I helped.

Cheers.