Bluetooth PAN Tethering fix

Search This thread

ddv2005

Sep 6, 2007
New York
Hi,

Bluetooth PAN Tethering on Motorola Bionic/Droid 3 has 2 bugs:
1. DNSMASQ can't start because does not understand IPv6 addresses as DNS but android write it to the btip.conf
2. Bionic does not use STDIN DNSMASQ control (it write DNS option to btip.conf). But DNSMASQ still listen STDIN and try to execute empty commands and it use 100% CPU.

I made new dnsmasq that fix both problems. You can put it to /system/bin/dnsmasq and use Bluetooth PAN Tethering.

Backup original copy of dnsmasq by
Code:
adb pull /system/bin/dnsmasq

Make sure that you make /system writable and then copy new dnsmasq
Code:
adb push dnsmasq /data/local/
adb shell
$su -
#cp /data/local/dnsmasq /system/bin/dnsmasq
#rm /data/local/dnsmasq

Known issues:
1. some times after disconnect you need to restart (disable->enable) bluetooth on Bionic to connect again.
2. If you used Mobile hotspot then you need to reboot your phone to use PAN service again (for some reason NAT does not work in PAN mode after using mobile hotspot).

Dmitry

PS. I guess that Bluetooth tethering is not detectable yet.

Update 10/14/2011
I have updated exe and patch to fix Mobile Hotspot mode.

Attachments

• dnsmasq.zip
    70.3 KB · Views: 107
  • dnsmasq.patch.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Brenardo

Nov 13, 2010
This is extremely good work my friend. I hope you continue to make leaps snd bounds on the bionic!

I would also like to know if this wwould work for tethering my Xoom?

Last edited:

elislurry

Jun 11, 2010
Raleigh NC
Does PAN tethering allow you to use any app that requires internet? I know DUN will only allow a few apps (Browser, Mail, Maps) to work.

elislurry

Jun 11, 2010
Raleigh NC
Nice! Just got it working with my Transformer. I am seeing pretty slow speeds though (about .8mb down and 1.5mb up) while if I do a speed test on my phone I get 6mb down and about 7mb up. Are you guys seeing these slow speeds as well?

ddv2005

Sep 6, 2007
New York
Hmm it should be able to do at least 2.1mb/sec
2.1mb it is theoretical maximum. Did you ever try to get 300Mbit/s from WiFi N? You event can't get WiFI G speed (54Mbit/s) because it is theoretical maximum that you never reach in real world. Same with bluetooth + network delay reduce TCP throughput.

Last edited:

benlane

Aug 1, 2004
Quick question

First off - thank you.

Next my question. I am using Root Explorerr. I made my back of the original file. I copied the contents of the zip file to system\bin directory. What should I do with the txt file?

Thanks for the help.

mantispid

Jul 17, 2008
Just FYI, if you use this method, you will kill your ability to use the built-in hotspot wifi tether. Be sure to save the old file, and revert to it should you decide you want to use the hotspot app.

ddv2005

Sep 6, 2007
New York
Just FYI, if you use this method, you will kill your ability to use the built-in hotspot wifi tether. Be sure to save the old file, and revert to it should you decide you want to use the hotspot app.

I have updated exe (in first post) to support build-in hotspot wifi tether. But for some reason NAT does not work in Bluetooth PAN mode after using mobile hotspot. To restore NAT in Bluetooth PAN mode you need to reboot the phone.

Dmitry

quasidynamic

Oct 27, 2008
Great!

The patched file works a treat! PAN is back! Thanks so much!

for the less experienced folks trying to get this to work, here's a couple detailed steps not in the original post:

1. when issuing the "su" command for the first time, look at the the device screen as it will prompt you to allow the action to complete. Make sure to allow it otherwise you cannot proceed with required "su" commands.

2. before copying the file to /system/bin, remount the /system mount read-write like this:
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/system /system

(you can check your mount points first using "mount" in case they vary from the above)

Thanks again!

quasidynamic

0mie

Dec 2, 2007
Seattle
Maybe I am missing something simple, but I just used root explorer to move over the file and change permission, rebooted and it didn't work

XXX
X_X
X_X

Those are the correct permission for the file, right?

Jiggity Janx

Feb 19, 2010
I'm sure Motorola thanked you for the Bluetooth PAN tethering fix that showed up in .902. ;)

In my recent donation to the wifi tether dev I noted the .902 Bionic PAN fix and requested he think about adding bluetooth tethering in for the Bionic.

spencerjang

Apr 23, 2014
Seoul
Hello elislurry.

I was wondering if you could help me out with understanding the BT tethering operation in perspective of Android system?
For instance, Wi-Fi tethering operates just like the fixed AP, but in case of BT, its not used much as a tethering operation but more focused to communication to accessories, right?
Do you have any ideas on how this works on BT?

Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Bluetooth PAN Tethering on Motorola Bionic/Droid 3 has 2 bugs:
    1. DNSMASQ can't start because does not understand IPv6 addresses as DNS but android write it to the btip.conf
    2. Bionic does not use STDIN DNSMASQ control (it write DNS option to btip.conf). But DNSMASQ still listen STDIN and try to execute empty commands and it use 100% CPU.

I made new dnsmasq that fix both problems. You can put it to /system/bin/dnsmasq and use Bluetooth PAN Tethering.

Backup original copy of dnsmasq by
    Code:
    adb pull /system/bin/dnsmasq

Make sure that you make /system writable and then copy new dnsmasq
    Code:
    adb push dnsmasq /data/local/
    adb shell
    $su -
    #cp /data/local/dnsmasq /system/bin/dnsmasq
    #rm /data/local/dnsmasq

Known issues:
    1. some times after disconnect you need to restart (disable->enable) bluetooth on Bionic to connect again.
    2. If you used Mobile hotspot then you need to reboot your phone to use PAN service again (for some reason NAT does not work in PAN mode after using mobile hotspot).

Dmitry

PS. I guess that Bluetooth tethering is not detectable yet.

Update 10/14/2011
    I have updated exe and patch to fix Mobile Hotspot mode.