All these quad core android leaks, What MS needs to do

Search This thread

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
yea I'm personally waiting for the windows 8 tablets to get one.

I'm curious to see them as well, Microsoft has been wanting to move consumer electronics and PCs onto the same platform for a long time now and this looks to be what everything so far has been working towards. I'm definitely not happy about their stance on locking down the bootloaders/BIOS on them though. They've already backed off some and said Windows 8 PC's can be manually unlocked to allow for dual-booting, but they're standing firm on their desires to have ARM devices completely locked down.

The dual-core IPhone 4S has roughly the same battery life as the previous IPhone 4.

I'm curious - Why do people on here continuously ignore hardware like the Iphone and Samsung Galaxy series, and only compare with WP7 with the very worst Android phones? It's almost like selective bias..smells of fanboy-ism..

EDIT: Also people seem to be ignoring the fact that WP7 is the worst selling smartphone platform by a long shot (still being outsold by Samsung Bada in last quarters figures), while the Iphone 4S (a phone almost identical to the past model except for dual-core and 4G) has sold in record numbers. Even if multi-core is just a gimmick used for marketing, it's one that is needed asap, as WP7 needs all the help it can get.

If the hardware is not limiting the software at all then why would it really matter? I haven't tried my hand at creating any WP7 apps yet, so I can't speak on it personally, but, it's very few and far between that you ever hear someone say they've seen WP7 stutter.

I would like to inject some facts in this conversion, I own an Evo 3D and an HD7 but I only use the Evo via WiFi from Tmobile....an ancient 1ghz processor versus a recent 1.2 GHz processor...guess which of my phones don't crash or ALWAYS force closing apps...?

Sent from The ACSyndicate Tower using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

That's funny, I've owned the same phone since it was released and I can count on one hand how many times I've had an unexpected force close. HTC has put a lot in to the software to prevent force closes and out of the four other people I know IRL who have it none of them have ever mentioned having the same problems. Initially it did have screen issues with the 3D causing it to freeze up, but those were cleared up maybe a month after release when they upgraded to Android 2.3.4.

If you're using a custom ROM you may want to try another one or stick to something stock.

Last edited:

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
The bootloader locking is a huge piece of anti ms FUD, ms have never said the PC version can't be unlocked, the oems just need to pull their fingers out of their arses an develop a half decent BIOS with the option to turn it off. ARM is a different, its not supposed to be sold on its own, an thus to computers not running the secure bios, but again, I've not heard ms forbid manufactures from giving the bios option to disable it, most of what ms says is guidelines

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

xHausx

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 5, 2010
Central Florida
The bootloader locking is a huge piece of anti ms FUD, ms have never said the PC version can't be unlocked, the oems just need to pull their fingers out of their arses an develop a half decent BIOS with the option to turn it off. ARM is a different, its not supposed to be sold on its own, an thus to computers not running the secure bios, but again, I've not heard ms forbid manufactures from giving the bios option to disable it, most of what ms says is guidelines

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

I'm pretty sure they'll both be required to use the same bootloader, but yes the x86 version will be more lax about dualbooting while the ARM version must stay locked and uncompromised.

Arstechnica has a pretty indepth article about it and all of Microsofts requirements are available for download as well.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/hardware/hh748188
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/ne...ing-or-the-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it.ars

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
Have you ever tried the panorama application from Nokia on N8 or any Symbian (Belle) phone, I used it on my N8 having 667 MHz with 256 MB RAM, and so far it produced best quality panorama. I don't think it's really necessary to dual core or q-core with gigs of ram in your phone, It actually depends how to code an application to get the best performance.
No, I don't have an N8, but id love to try one if anyone offers up a sample. :))

If you find a phone that can shoot and edit (in phone, ala apple) 1080p with a single core, that's some mad application coding! Also, I would buy it.

Arjoma

Jan 18, 2011
Have you ever tried the panorama application from Nokia on N8 or any Symbian (Belle) phone, I used it on my N8 having 667 MHz with 256 MB RAM, and so far it produced best quality panorama. I don't think it's really necessary to dual core or q-core with gigs of ram in your phone, It actually depends how to code an application to get the best performance.

It depends a bit on the way the OS is written (Symbian on the N8 needs fairly less ressources to work okay). But the main reason why panoramas and normal photos as well look good is the great optics and the huge image sensor in the Nokia N8. In general there are many hick ups with the N8. It doesn't perform extremely well in several situations and doesn't match the level of the three other OSes; also multitasking is rather limited because of the lack of RAM. What helps the N8 a bit is its lower display resolution and the OK GPU. But it is limited in some ways.

Interesting news btw: Samsung has announced the Ace 2, the first phone with a 800MHz dual core chip afaik. May be interesting to see how it performs (should be absolutely sufficient for the most tasks, plus I expect nice battery life.)

Dr.8820

Jul 11, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
@xHausx, it's all stock and it'll lock up if I play angry birds too long, yet along anything else.. I only posted in this thread after becoming frustrated after Slingbox kept freezing while I was watching the game on my Evo and having to use my Schubert and it didn't crash. (not trying to fan flames, just speaking my experiences...everytime I Skype it freezes..I'm on 2.3.4)

Sent from The ACSyndicate Tower using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

efjay

Nov 18, 2004
You know, if there are few desktop applications that fully utilize a quad core processor, and current mobile phone applications dont fully utilise current dual core tech, why is a quad core seen as so important to have on a phone? People are conveniently overlooking that most of the WP7 limitations are due to being limited to managed code, not the raw speed of the CPU or RAM size.

At one point augmented reality was being used to bash WP7, with mango compass support was added yet where are the applications that go beyond being just a gimmick?

All this is is just another pissing contest, and how "bigger is better". Problem is most consumers are just blindly led to believe this, so anything less is seen as "worse" when it actually isnt. Seems most WP7 detractors on here fall into that category.

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
You know, if there are few desktop applications that fully utilize a quad core processor, and current mobile phone applications dont fully utilise current dual core tech, why is a quad core seen as so important to have on a phone? People are conveniently overlooking that most of the WP7 limitations are due to being limited to managed code, not the raw speed of the CPU or RAM size.

At one point augmented reality was being used to bash WP7, with mango compass support was added yet where are the applications that go beyond being just a gimmick?

All this is is just another pissing contest, and how "bigger is better". Problem is most consumers are just blindly led to believe this, so anything less is seen as "worse" when it actually isnt. Seems most WP7 detractors on here fall into that category.

I don't see it as a competition, pissing match (user vs user), or needed feature. The possibilities of putting a (pardon the old addage wm6.5 fans) pc in your pocket, with 4 cores, adaptable enough to accept a bluetooth keyboard, and docked to a display at your hotel.... is awesome. windows 8 hasn't told all its possbilities yet, much like osx 10.8 has not. They are unifying, and only beginning to do so.

4 cores doesn't mean the end, or start of innovation, it only means more possibilities. Agreed, they aren't needed for 90% of applications, but if I have the option of waiting 10 seconds instead of 2 minutes for a heavy process to complete, I'll choose the seconds.

Something to think about....

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
I don't see it as a competition, pissing match (user vs user), or needed feature. The possibilities of putting a (pardon the old addage wm6.5 fans) pc in your pocket, with 4 cores, adaptable enough to accept a bluetooth keyboard, and docked to a display at your hotel.... is awesome. windows 8 hasn't told all its possbilities yet, much like osx 10.8 has not. They are unifying, and only beginning to do so.

4 cores doesn't mean the end, or start of innovation, it only means more possibilities. Agreed, they aren't needed for 90% of applications, but if I have the option of waiting 10 seconds instead of 2 minutes for a heavy process to complete, I'll choose the seconds.

Something to think about....

The possibilities of putting a pc in your pocket at what cost? Also, what is the point of investing in an expensive quad core phone in 2012, not being able to get good use out of it until 2013, then when you are finally reaping the rewards of adopting bleeding edge tech it is now made obsolete because there are better quad cores on the market?

Each ecosystem has to do what makes sense. I do believe that only a handful of Android flagship phones will have quad cores in them so it would be unfair to label all 2012 Android phones as spec excessive quad cores. Windows Phone has a well laid out path and they are sticking to it.

And saying people in here choose to compare WP handsets to only the worst Android handsets is a bad generalization. Also which handsets should we use as poster children for Android? Isn't that a problem for Android?

My one worry about Android has always been varied user experience; a user can come away with a totally difference experience, whether positive or negative, because he used one handset instead of another. Windows Phone does not suffer from this as much and iOS not at all.

But it is not fair to generalize the WP community based on the mad thoughts of the few. Many reasonable WP supporters know there is work to do. It is when people start rants about Windows Phone being useless and dead is when we have a problem. Like political or religious groups, I find Android users have this belief that Windows Phone needs to be just like Android. We know where that road takes us.

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
The possibilities of putting a pc in your pocket at what cost? Also, what is the point of investing in an expensive quad core phone in 2012, not being able to get good use out of it until 2013, then when you are finally reaping the rewards of adopting bleeding edge tech it is now made obsolete because there are better quad cores on the market?

You can apply that to any mass produced product with short release cycles, wether its single core, dual, quad, quint, se, etc

Wether its bleeding edge, or last years' tech, the possibility of using it as a pocketable, dockable, pc is still there. The entry fee is only higher for todays' release.

Obsolete is an overused term in the tech world. The popular idea is that if/when a new product is released, the previous verion is now broken, unusable, obsolete. It still performs exactly as it did the day before, still works, still fine. The -desire- to have the newer product makes it less desirable, but not obsolete.

A phone is not an investment. It is a piece of cake, or pie, or a doorknob. You buy it for whatever cost, use it, and either attempt to resell it for less money after some time, or completely consume it, and buy another. This is exactly the same for computers, cars, sandwiches, all mass produced consumer-oriented products.

Your point of buying a not-fully utilized piece of hardware (the 2012 vs 2013) comment is an excellent question. Why do people buy hardware, for a promise of some future software upgrade or developement ?

"When ICS is released, my phone won't lag!"
"When w8 is released, I can share files again!"
"When iTunes13 is released, I can watch drm'd movies on my x!"

But in reality, the only thing that matters is -today-, what you can do with a device right now. Promises of turning water into wine don't mean much for 6 months from now. Doing it today, right now, is the killer.

:)

Reactions: cableguychad

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
unnecessary, yet wanted
A: 'HEY I HAVE A QUAD CORE PHONE!'
B: 'SO WHAT CAN IT DO?'
A: 'BASICALLY ANYTHING THAT YOUR PHONE CAN DO'
B: 'SO WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?'
A: 'MY PHONE HAS QUAD CORE!'

loop the conversation

ahahha

Ya, play the " I want an iphone skit".

Some folks only need higher numbers to believe something is better. Newer = better to those types, generally.

Quad cores is the whipping boy at the moment. Maybe next it will be 1080p projection led's built in that use very little power (possible?) Or abandoning cellular service for mesh computing. I dunno, but I'm open to positive things.

nicksti

Sep 7, 2009
I actually blame two groups for the way tech progresses into the excess:

1. OEMs
2. Technical people

Skipping the obvious first, I have seen it time and time again where a clueless person walks into a store and asks for a product. Then with either a written or memorized shopping list the person asks "does it have this?" and goes down the line. That list was the result of that non-technical person talking to a technical person who really cannot see past what he wants out of a product and advises his friend along the same line.

Penny: I need a new phone Sheldon and I need some help.
Sheldon: You have to get a 4.7" non-pentile superamoled+ 64GB phone with a 16mp camera and xenon flash!
Penny: I will go buy it tonight after work
(next day)
Sheldon: Penny, why are you not at work?
Penny: I got fired. I bought the phone and on my way out of the store I dropped my car keys. It was so dark and I could not see anything so I went to use my $500 phone as a flashlight, but it would not let me. After hours of feeling around the ground I gave up and called a cab. I overslept for work and my boss fired me :( I did some research on the net and it says you cannot use "zee non" lights as flashlights. This is all your fault Sheldon.
Sheldon: What do you need car keys for? Doesn't your car have biometics and remote start?

lil_dipo@yahoo.com

Mar 23, 2008
Pearland TX
Penny: I need a new phone Sheldon and I need some help.
Sheldon: You have to get a 4.7" non-pentile superamoled+ 64GB phone with a 16mp camera and xenon flash!
Penny: I will go buy it tonight after work
(next day)
Sheldon: Penny, why are you not at work?
Penny: I got fired. I bought the phone and on my way out of the store I dropped my car keys. It was so dark and I could not see anything so I went to use my $500 phone as a flashlight, but it would not let me. After hours of feeling around the ground I gave up and called a cab. I overslept for work and my boss fired me :( I did some research on the net and it says you cannot use "zee non" lights as flashlights. This is all your fault Sheldon.
Sheldon: What do you need car keys for? Doesn't your car have biometics and remote start?

lol i literally laughed out loud, that is so big bang theory typical, well needed humor

magicsquid

Jun 17, 2011
London
The new Qualcomm SoC (with dual core CPU) is looking very promising. It's also 28nm. Looks like there'll be some powerful WP8 devices coming later this year ;)
www.anandtech.com/show/5559/qualcom...mance-preview-msm8960-adreno-225-benchmarks/2

Krait offers another generational leap in mobile SoC performance. The range of impact depends entirely on the workload but it's safe to say that it's noticeable. The GPU side of the equation has been improved tremendously as well, although that's mostly a function of 28nm enabling a very high clock speed for Qualcomm's Adreno 225. We are eager to see what the Adreno 3xx GPUs that will pair up with future Krait SoCs can do.

ohgood

Aug 8, 2009
Birmingham
Give me a power efficient dual core @ 28nm and you can keep your quad/hexa/octa-core POS Android/iOS

( i didn't know it was in developement, thanked@U )

buuuuut, this is exactly the same issue several people have posted in this thread. substitute 28nm with quad-core, it's (according to many posters here) just a 'new' phone, you don't need it. when 5nm cpu's come out, your 28nm will be obsolete.

or when 28nm is released your current phone is obsolete.

reguardless, i'm waiting to take out a third mortgage to finance a 2nm, 33MEG-amp-hour, 4640p, 48Mpixel, 5x5x5x5x5x5" display, CUUUUUBE phone, that has a bidet built in -and- a space ladder.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm kinda fed up by these donkheads using Android who talks about nothing but specs. You can put WHATEVER you want in that ****ing OS and it will still not run smooth because IT IS NOT OPTIMIZED FOR ****.
    wp7 doesn't need quad core, in fact, 99% of the smartphone users don't even need a dual core.

you'll see these quad core phones with a huge price tag, low battery life and performing the same as single/dual core devices.

it's completely unnecessary. it's not like you're running lightroom and premiere on your phone.
    unnecessary, yet wanted
    A: 'HEY I HAVE A QUAD CORE PHONE!'
    B: 'SO WHAT CAN IT DO?'
    A: 'BASICALLY ANYTHING THAT YOUR PHONE CAN DO'
    B: 'SO WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?'
    A: 'MY PHONE HAS QUAD CORE!'

loop the conversation

ahahha
    smoked by a windows phone

Haven't you seen any of the Smoked By Windows Phone challenges? A Windows phone is faster than any of the android or iphones out there with dual core processors. IMO thats saying something.
    What the rational Windows Phone supporters are saying is the OS does not need a dual core to work well. Yes, there is no debate that in order to do certain things like 1080p and push out better graphics in games you need a better gpu. Unfortunately, those better gpus are not found on the single core chips.

It would be nice if we did not have to go through this exercise repeatly. Fanboys are not good representations of the attitutes of the population. Windows Phone has made significant progress in a year and a few months. And it will continue to do so. But this whole spec spec spec thing is a silly argument.

If Windows Phone is not good enough for you we understand, but hopefully you will understand that it is good enough for some people right now.