C80 Pics/Differences

Search This thread

SPreston2001

Oct 31, 2009
Columbus
To expand on this, can someone post a picture showing exactly which screws were removed? Would like to try this, but don't want to remove a screw and screw up the whole unit. :silly:

Edit: Nevermind, rechecked the OP and you can tell which screws were removed. Just gave it a go on my C60 model and will let you guys know if it helped.

Here you go sorry I took the pics with my cell. From the top of the device its the 3rd screw down and the 5th screw down that are removed.

NexusScrewsArrows.jpg

145ty

Jul 4, 2012
I don't think removing the screws will do anything long-term, short-term maybe.
Hell, I had a C8 model with no screen lift when I purchased it. Within days it had screen lift that was getting worse.

But..hey this is ASUS we are talking about. This is probably their "fix". Like how they fixed their Prime. I'll never touch another product from ASUS. I've purchased PC parts from them that were great in the past, but the last 3 products I purchased from them (all tablets) have been absolute junk marred with performance issues, hardware defects / design defects that they will NOT acknowledge or do anything right by. They have the utmost worst customer service I've dealt with so far from any company (except for Tien he was good).

Last edited:
Reactions: wohli

pzmosquito

Nov 11, 2010
I just got my C80, and 2 screws were removed. There's still very minor lifting, but very minor. Everything else is good, I'm keeping this one. :good:

Jark89

Feb 15, 2009
Well after removing the two screws shown from the pictures, I noticed the exact same screen lift as before after about 40 minutes. So unfortunately for me, this experiment did not help.

mike5065

May 14, 2011
The picture 3 posts above looks like it has the foam removed, near the middle screw. I took my foam out of my C6 last night with good results. Mind you, mine was not aligned (and one corner too close to the edge) and had some compression there, so I just took the whole thing off.

Wondering if ASUS has stopped using this foam?

Update Sept 1: Tried removing the upper 'missing' screw. Left it clamped overnight. This morning, seemed fine for about 20 minutes then i noticed bezel had too much play when my left thumb pushed inwards. Had about 1mm movement, with creak. So, in my case, the adhesive may have worn out after all this playing around. Screw is now back in and all is fine again.

My end solution is 3 washers, all screws in, lightly tightened, with foam removed. Very solid. Hopefully done playing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Last edited:

shaneydroid

Jul 22, 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
When I got my first N7 with screen lift, I went looking on the net to see if other people had the problem and read about all the problems people are having.
I remember the first suggested fix was tightening the screws but people were reporting tightening too much and cracking the screen and others reporting that tightening the screws was actually causing the screen to lift more.

So I wonder if Asus have actually removed the screws to STOP people fiddling around with them and causing more problems?

I have had 3 C70's and the first 2 had screen lift but the third didn't. All screws in place and still solid after a month.

Last edited:

SPreston2001

Oct 31, 2009
Columbus
I personally dont think the screws have anything to do with the screen lifting. It seems to be purely based on the adhesive failing. The screws dont go all the way through so pushing up on the screen was never really a issue. I was more so trying to see if this was something they did on purpose or if my unit was missing screws.

Last edited:

dilldoe

Jul 26, 2012
I personally dont think the screws have anything to do with the screen lifting. It seems to be purely based on the adhesive failing. The screws dont go all the way through so pushing up on the screen was never really a issue. I was more so trying to see if this was something they did on purpose or if my unit was missing screws.

see how I was the only one to bother to even try to measure the screw length and the length of the hole, yes, they could cause the screen lift. The gap is so small, 1/64th of an inch, that an over tighten screw can put pressure on the LCD and push the screen up. and since the frame is plastic, the screw can easily dig into it and eliminate the gap. it also explains the screen cracking when trying to push it back down.

Reactions: dparrothead1

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
Guys, first - its C8O, NOT C80!!! You guys are going to wonder what youre doing wrong when you go to the Asus site to register it and it keep saying your serial dont work- I see this all over the site- its an "O" , not a zero!!! Don't believe me, go to the Asus member site and try it.

Second- My C8 I picked up this week, also had screws missing. THIS CANT BE A FIX, because the screen was still lifting. Its just typical non-existent ASUS QC. Maybe the C9's will have something done, but C8 internally is the same as C5/6/7

Reactions: pxlitup

bso44

Oct 2, 2010
Guys, first - its C8O, NOT C80!!! You guys are going to wonder what youre doing wrong when you go to the Asus site to register it and it keep saying your serial dont work- I see this all over the site- its an "O" , not a zero!!! Don't believe me, go to the Asus member site and try it.

Second- My C8 I picked up this week, also had screws missing. THIS CANT BE A FIX, because the screen was still lifting. Its just typical non-existent ASUS QC. Maybe the C9's will have something done, but C8 internally is the same as C5/6/7

If screws are missing from all C8's, it can't be a QC issue. It's got to serve some sort of purpose even if it's ineffective.

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
If screws are missing from all C8's, it can't be a QC issue. It's got to serve some sort of purpose even if it's ineffective.

Every N7 I've had C6, and 3 C7's had screws at every point inside. Only the C8 didn't. So far I have only seen me and OP say we were missing screws, also I think pxliup posted a video of one missing screws but I cannot remember if that one was a C8.

Either way if they are leaving screws out now on purpose pretty shoddy not securing the screen to the frame considering that even without them theres lift/seperation if anything probably makes it worse

guitarofozz

Jan 20, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
Have you guys wondered if maybe your "c80s" are just c60s and c70s that people tried to "fix" before giving up and sending it for RMA? Those returns gotta go somewhere.

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
First of all theres no such thing as a C80, C70 etc its C8O (O NOT ZERO) go to vip.asus.com and try to register your tab with a zero and its gonna say your serial dont exist,

and its already been suggested on this page, Asus isn't going to sell refurbs as new if they did and it was found out I think OP put it best lawsuit if anything they are probably using them to replace RMA's

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I stopped in my local Gamestop yesterday to pickup Madden 13 and ended up leaving with a Nexus 7 too lol. Ill be giving this one to my gf but I just wanted to post a few pics of some things that may be slightly different about the C80 production runs. I didnt do a complete teardown of the unit so I cant say if any changes have been made to combat the over exaggerated screen lift stuff but I have noticed a few small changes. I honestly dont think anything has really changed in terms of manufacturing but these units had just came in yesterday morning so im assuming it was a fresh batch.

First up is the box. Im not sure when they made this change but my C70 didnt have the notches on the box for easy opening. I remember kinda having a hard time separating the box when I first got my C70.

IMAG1564.jpg

Second thing I noticed was the C80 units have a few screws missing. Im not sure if this is something they just started doing, but I exchanged three C80 units at Gamestop yesterday because me and the manager thought it was a flaw but all 3 random units had the two missing screws.

IMAG1567.jpg

Here are a few shots of the back cover and unit. Im not sure if anything is different but maybe someone whos more familiar with the insides may notice something.

IMAG1565.jpg

IMAG1566.jpg

I did noticed the serial # on the rear sticker is now printed in white as opposed to black:

IMAG1568-picsay.jpg
    I just found a Nexus 7 review where they say it has a beautiful build and do not mention any of the issues discussed her.

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3417&review=google+nexus+7+android+jelly+bean+play

The funny thing is they have a picture with a close shot of the screen from and angle and you can see the screen lift very well. :(

16684.jpg
    can someone with a c08 model take a better pic of the back cover off? theres two clips on the left side that goes over where the screen data ribbon is and just wanted to know if they change those at all. this point is where a lot of people get screen lift.
    That's also where the adhesive ledge under the display is at its narrowest. The clips being in the same area is probably just a coincidence.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29194958#post29194958

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1853154
    i know about that post but looking at the pics of the back cover in the first post on this thread it looks like those clips(more like flaps) are gone, but i cant tell for sure with that pics since its not very clear.

this is the clip im talking about, its 1cm above the copper tape on the back cover.

Looks like those clips/flaps are still present.

IMAG0044.jpg
    ÜBER™ said:
    Well just tried to get the last available nexus 7 in my area. And it was a C8OK and it had the screen lifting as well. That's my third nexus 7 the issue... must have a bad batch here. Starting to think its not even worth getting now.
    That's a shame.

Reading all this thread makes me worried, I will return my n7 after I get it
    There are flush screens out there. I've made sure of that.

And the risk of your screen cracking is probably very low. The vast majority of Nexus 7s have some amount of lift, and enough time has gone by that word would have gotten out if this were statistically likely to happen. For example, I have yet to find a user whose screen cracked during normal use talking about the Play store warranty. It can't be happening all that often if I haven't found a Play store customer whose screen has cracked.

This decision of whether or not to live with it would be much easier to make if we knew Google's policy on the matter. Erica_renee got hers from the Play store, but that one cracked right out of the box, so they might have made an exception in her case. It's still worth noting that Google sent her another one straight away. ASUS would not have done that.

The Play store warranty is at least a possible safety net. And if the risk of display failure is very low, for those customers it's probably a risk worth taking.