[Q] Getting a bad ESN/bad IMEI network phone to work in another country

Search This thread

morff14

Jul 25, 2012
Hi

I'm thinking of ordering a galaxy s5 from ebay. There are many models that are priced siginificantly lower. I have certain questions before I make the purchase that I will be humbly thankful if anyone can help me with.

First of all, I want someone to confirm that a bad ESN ad means it's a CDMA phone where as a bad IMEI means it is GSM phone. My country only has GSM network I will probably go for a bad IMEI phone?

Second, What to do about the Bad IMEI. Is there ANY way at all taht I could make it work in my country with the GSM provider? (I'm comfortable with flashing, rooting etc).
There are some ads that say, Bad IMEI for USA. Does this mean that it iwll work in my country's network (outside of USA?).

Summary: So basically, I want to buy a bad imei galaxy s5 from ebay (mainly because of it's low price) and be able to use it in my country where all networks are GSM based. Is is possible? If so, what are the things I need to be careful about when buying a bad IMEI locked/unlocked phone?

Thanks for the help. I'm sure this will help a lot of potential s5 buyers!

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Sorry, not in favour of helping people fix stolen phones. That can only spur additional thefts.

Do your best to buy a phone that doesn't have a bad ESN /IMEI in the first place.