How To Root An Acer Iconia A500

Search This thread

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
Not sure what happpend. DLed and isntalled the APK...and ran root. The tab rebooted. I tried TB and gave it root...then TB says it could not acquire root access. So I tried to run the APK again and it force closes

You have your SCREEN ROTATION LOCK enabled, disable that and try to run it again.. I had thesame issues... you have to keep it off when you run gingerbreak... jejeje

techbeck

Aug 22, 2009
titanium backup wont work. root explorer does so I know it is working. clicked to allow TB root access and it cats it couldnt acquire root access this application will not work. verify the rom is rooted and includes busybox.

Nevermind...DLED and installed busybox and I am rockin. :)

Last edited:

skyfox99

Nov 8, 2007
I'm a Yank in Texas
So does this fully root the Acer? The EVO had different levels of root with s chip on/off and all that stuff...

Also since I am sure it will come up, is this reversible?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

lou0611

Sep 24, 2008
Yardley
So does this fully root the Acer? The EVO had different levels of root with s chip on/off and all that stuff...

Also since I am sure it will come up, is this reversible?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

this is full root. Yes its reverseable. Run ginger break in portrait mode select UN root

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App

Franwella

Mar 17, 2009
Melbourne
Does the root process harm data on the microsd card? I have a 32gb loaded and would rather not hose it.

Your microSD card is safe. I went through the root process with a 32GB card full of content, and like you I'd really rather not lose all that stuff. Yes it's backed up, but it's a bugger to have to move it all again.

ANYWAY, I can confirm that my card came out the other side safely and untouched. :D

we must all tip our hats to the guys who did all the hard work, figuring this out :)

+1 I couldn't agree more!

+1 Screenshot ER works well.

sydneyozguy

Dec 27, 2010
I don't have a SC card added, and started the root process, it has been running for about 30 minutes now with no success. Do I need to close it and wait until I have a card I can put in the SC slot?

Any harm in just closing the device down at this point?

silencer51

Jul 17, 2010
I don't have a SC card added, and started the root process, it has been running for about 30 minutes now with no success. Do I need to close it and wait until I have a card I can put in the SC slot?

Any harm in just closing the device down at this point?

Just turn the device off, insert the card, turn it on and try again. Gingerbreak doesn't do anything without the SD card inserted and mounted (happened to me too).

Reactions: sydneyozguy

T0yman

Apr 28, 2011

I have tried several times and followed the instructions to the letter. When I start Gingerbreak it just sits and runs with the message:
Rooting......
Running Exploit....
This may take a few minutes!
Device will reboot on success!

Been running for 20 minutes, any suggestions?

Edit - OK I re read and tried one more time, this time I did place a second SD card in the extra slot and it worked fine. Sorry for any confusion for others but I was just not understanding what you were saying :) Life is all good again... lol

Last edited:

saeba

Apr 14, 2006
Atlanta
titanium backup wont work. root explorer does so I know it is working. clicked to allow TB root access and it cats it couldnt acquire root access this application will not work. verify the rom is rooted and includes busybox.

Nevermind...DLED and installed busybox and I am rockin. :)

Yeah.... good note to add.... TB needs an add'l step to work .... click on the problems button and fetch busybox. Just in case others hit this.

Reactions: DrPlumEU

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
I had the same issue with Shootme. But other apps (Titanium Backup, Quick Boot) requiring root worked fine. So I downloaded Screenshot ER and used it instead. Seems like Shootme doesn't work on the Acer and/or Honeycomb.

I am new to Android...what are all these apps?

Also, do you need to keep the microSD card in afterward? I've got one coming, but before it gets here, I have some other small ones laying around. I'm just curious if I can use the smaller cards temporarily or do I have to wait for my new one to come.

Last edited:

mapaz04

Dec 20, 2008
Tennessee
ROOT

No, they wont work without ROOT, you will receive a message (once rooted) that will ask if you want to give the application ROOT USER ACCESS...

Easier to explain... When you right click on the app you want to run on your pc and have to select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR...

Hope that helps... and someone correct me if I am wrong but once ROOT has been done, the SD Card seems swappable to me, I have not had any issues... So far... jejeje

silkjones

Aug 1, 2007
I have to go cut the grass before I start playing with my A5 again. Can you guys tell the benefits of rooting so far? another forum mentioned deleting bloatware and freezing apps that hog resources/battery life.

saeba

Apr 14, 2006
Atlanta
I have to go cut the grass before I start playing with my A5 again. Can you guys tell the benefits of rooting so far? another forum mentioned deleting bloatware and freezing apps that hog resources/battery life.

From http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

What Does Root Give Me?

1. Full control over your system
2. Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:
o Themes
o Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
o Recovery image
o Bootloader
o Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
o Boot images
o Add linux binaries
3. Run special apps that need more control over the system
o SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
o Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
o Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
<there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
4. Backup your system
o You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to "upgrade" you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
5. Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
6. Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
7. Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)

rorytmeadows

Feb 6, 2008
Charleston, SC metro area
No, they wont work without ROOT, you will receive a message (once rooted) that will ask if you want to give the application ROOT USER ACCESS...

Easier to explain... When you right click on the app you want to run on your pc and have to select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR...

Hope that helps... and someone correct me if I am wrong but once ROOT has been done, the SD Card seems swappable to me, I have not had any issues... So far... jejeje

well do you need to keep the SD card in after rooting?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
    2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
    3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
    4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
    5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277
    To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
    Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.
    Acer Iconia A500 Rooted
    How to Root Acer Iconia A500

How to Root Acer Iconia A500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9srwjuAF6w

From http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

What Does Root Give Me?

1. Full control over your system
    2. Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:
    o Themes
    o Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
    o Recovery image
    o Bootloader
    o Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
    o Boot images
    o Add linux binaries
    3. Run special apps that need more control over the system
    o SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
    o Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
    o Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
    <there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
    4. Backup your system
    o You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to "upgrade" you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
    5. Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
    6. Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
    7. Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)