[ROM] [4.2.2] [ No-name CM10.1 nightlies ] [ Standard & Linaro ] [TF101 / TF101G]

Search This thread

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
* Phablet: It either grows on you or it doesn't I guess. I like it, and don't want to go back to non-phablet.

My main issue with it, honestly, was the centered controls. Interestingly, I discovered that EOS 4 optionally lets you left-align these. You might consider adding a similar option. (But there's things they could learn from you, too; they don't even let me remove the Google search bar from the home page, which I literally never use and so don't want there.)

* If you find the dock annoying, use another launcher than the default Trebuchet. I use Nova launcher and the dock can be disabled. It also has a nice Nova unread plugin.

Yep, obviously an option, although I'd prefer to use the stock launcher as it's otherwise not bad. The only options I'd want added are to disable the dock, and to have a press of Home when already on the Home screen take me to the app drawer rather than doing nothing.

* Google now: Not really using it myself, but that's no excuse. Trying it now though, flashing latest with Fatkat kernel, and it all works fine. Maybe it's related to kat-kernel?

Google Now tip from the previous page fixed it for EOS 4, likely will work on your ROM too.

* Stock Android Web-browser hasn't really been well-maintained and should be considered obsolete at this point. Google is not going to improve it. Use Chrome (or Firefox, or Opera, etc) instead. Yes, Chrome is a wee bit slower than stock browser, but it actually works on most web-sites, and the latest builds have been getting better performance.

I have a love-hate relationship with Android Chrome. I use it all the time on PC, but on Android I've found it very unstable, and very erratic in terms of performance. Plus it irks me to have to have two web browsers installed when I'm only using one of them. ;)

I've not yet seen a crash on Browser in EOS 4, and I've opened far more stuff there than I did in the no-name rom. But again, perhaps Linaro was the cause of the instability.

* Non-working function keys are non-working. It's a shame, but it's on the issue tracker, and hopefully that can get sorted out sooner rather than later. First I'll need to port the battery-dock indicator code from the TF300T/TF700T codebase, and that should bring me some keyhandlers as well. We'll see.

Cool. :)

* Kat-kernel is not a "recommended" config, and strictly optional. I just mentioned that particular build because some people will always ask about it.

Ah, OK. I saw your post in the Kat Kernel thread saying it made your build even better, so figured that was a recommendation. (In fact, that post was what alerted me to your ROM as an alternative to EOS 4.)

* Using the default fatkat-kernel I'm getting very loud audio. I recommend you try it yourself :)

It's interesting. Again, I get normal audio on EOS 4 with Kat Kernel.

* I can't reproduce crash in Quick settings. Try qithout Kat kernel, as that seems to be the only difference between our configs.

Forget what we were replying to here, as the quote box doesn't show my quote. I'll try and test on EOS and see if it is an issue there.

* Photosphere crash confirmed. Will add it to the issue tracker.

This works on EOS 4, too. (Although man, the stitching is TERRIBLE indoors. And honestly, the TF101 camera is so bad it's not likely to get used much anyway, so likely a low priority.)

Sorry to keep comparing you to EOS, btw. ;)

* Missing battery-dock indicator is annoying me too and comes from a change in the underlying CM codebase. It's first on my list of things to look at. And it's already on the issue-tracker :)

Cool. Opportunity to out-do EOS there; they let you change the icon type and text following it for the internal battery, but not for the dock battery. (Which means you either have two different types, or you're stuck with the default.)

* Personally I have my MicroSD in the tablet all the time and find it annoying being nagged about unmounting it. I can see how someone thnks the other way around though. Not sure what can be done here (with my skills and) to make everyone happy.

EOS has the same problem. The lack of an unmount reminder and prominent unmount tool with their ROM led to me corrupting an SD card and losing data yesterday. :-/

Thanks for the feedback though. Glad to see you come, sad to see you leave ;)

I may well be back. There's stuff I prefer in EOS, and stuff I prefer in your build. :) I just need the tablet reasonably stable for a two-week overseas trip, so couldn't keep your rom for now.

Can someone please give me the apk of the ClockWidget these ROM uses? I love it, but this ROM has random reboots (for me) and sometimes screen off.. I want to try it on RaymanFX stable CM10 ROM.. I tried extracting it from the zip downloaded from here but I don't which is the apk.. I also love the Dock feature of the launcher, can I use that with Rayman's ROM?

dlumberg

Jul 24, 2010
Can someone please give me the apk of the ClockWidget these ROM uses? I love it, but this ROM has random reboots (for me) and sometimes screen off.. I want to try it on RaymanFX stable CM10 ROM.. I tried extracting it from the zip downloaded from here but I don't which is the apk.. I also love the Dock feature of the launcher, can I use that with Rayman's ROM?

Not sure if what you';re looking for is in this attachment. What is the date of the version of this rom that you flashed? I haven't seen any RRs or screen problems. You can try and use anything with Rayman's rom but he's not updating it anymore so you are pretty much stuck with what you have.

Attachments

• DeskClock.apk
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: esrom02

josteink

Feb 8, 2011
Oslo
Re: [ROM] [4.2.2] No-name CM10.1 nightlies - Standard & Linaro

There should have been no RR's since Tim fixed Kat kernel for CM10.1 (19-20-2013) or since Fatkat kernel was introduced in the build (21-02-2013).

I recommend upgrading from CM10 to CM10.1 at this point.

Reactions: esrom02

josteink

Feb 8, 2011
Oslo

Google Now tip from the previous page fixed it for EOS 4, likely will work on your ROM too.
Ah, OK. I saw your post in the Kat Kernel thread saying it made your build even better, so figured that was a recommendation. (In fact, that post was what alerted me to your ROM as an alternative to EOS 4.)

I'll add it to the issue tracker as a issue, but with a workaround :)

As for the comment on the Kat kernel thread, that was while this ROM was still based on RaymanFX's elite-kernel.

After the Fatkat-kernel was added, I recommend sticking to stock kernel, since that was built with the ROM.

Not sure if what you';re looking for is in this attachment. What is the date of the version of this rom that you flashed? I haven't seen any RRs or screen problems. You can try and use anything with Rayman's rom but he's not updating it anymore so you are pretty much stuck with what you have.

Thanks for this, will try it.. It works, but the widget doesn't.. "Problem Loading Widget".. I guess there is something missing? Libs? please help me josteink..

There should have been no RR's since Tim fixed Kat kernel for CM10.1 (19-20-2013) or since Fatkat kernel was introduced in the build (21-02-2013).

I recommend upgrading from CM10 to CM10.1 at this point.

Then I guess I just messed up while flashing,, will try this ROM again after a busy week..

Ahm, I will be using your ROM for a long-term use, can I just flash the newer ones over the older ones? without affecting my data?

Last edited:

Magissia

May 9, 2012

Hello, for thoses downloading the roms directly to the TF101, big files may get corrupted during download (device's fault, had this problem with CM10 and ASUS' roms)
If you have problems with this rom you ma want to redownload from a stable device.

Regards

jacobsensei

Mar 1, 2011
East Coast

Hello, for thoses downloading the roms directly to the TF101, big files may get corrupted during download (device's fault, had this problem with CM10 and ASUS' roms)
If you have problems with this rom you ma want to redownload from a stable device.

Regards

My "device" has no problems downloading large files such as Roms.
Its the "device's fault", please check your own.

Sent from my Transformer

frederuco

Feb 27, 2012
[ROM] [4.2.2] No-name CM10.1 nightlies - Standard & Linaro

I too have not had issues with downloads, except with the stock browser.

dlumberg

Jul 24, 2010
To avoid confusion between KAT app, KAT Kernel and now FatKat, I'm changing the kernel name to Lumpy. No need to do anything... it'll get changed in one of the next builds.

Reactions: Magissia

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
I'll add it to the issue tracker as a issue, but with a workaround :)
As for the comment on the Kat kernel thread, that was while this ROM was still based on RaymanFX's elite-kernel.
After the Fatkat-kernel was added, I recommend sticking to stock kernel, since that was built with the ROM.

Well just so you know, after going through the "Fatkat" modifications to see if something could be useful
there's basically no differences with KatKernel. ;)

The added code is either: dead files, backup files, wrongly located files that are already existing in KatKernel (pm*.c files in the includes dir 0_o ... )
Only files that could be useful are the new governors, but since it's not changed by default you won't see a difference.

So basically you're just compiling KatKernel with a few options changed in the config file.

On the config file side, you might want to rerun a check / diff against the latest version, as after having a quick go through the few changes
the fatkat default config file that you use in the rom is most likely breaking a few things like the HID BT devices support.
There's a typo for the RIL option too: CONFIG_RIL=y is not set

Was the file modified by hand ?
You might want to regenerate the config from the menu or make oldconfig to make sure all options and dependencies are regenerated and ok.

So basically you can either call it KatKernel with a different conf or call it something else if you prefer, but might be better to not use Kat in the name in that case as it might just confuse people more,
I'm already having a bad time getting users to understand what is KatKernel and what is K.A.T the app ;P

Last edited:
Reactions: josteink

dlumberg

Jul 24, 2010
Well just so you know, after going through the "Fatkat" modifications to see if something could be useful
there's basically no differences with KatKernel. ;)

The added code is either: dead files, backup files, wrongly located files that are already existing in KatKernel (pm*.c files in the includes dir 0_o ... )
Only files that could be useful are the new governors, but since it's not changed by default you won't see a difference.

So basically you're just compiling KatKernel with a few options changed in the config file.

On the config file side, you might want to rerun a more careful check / diff, as after having a quick go through the few changes
the fatkat default config file that you use in the rom is most likely breaking a few things like the HID BT devices support.
There's a typo for the RIL option too: CONFIG_RIL=y is not set

Was the file modified by hand ?
You might want to regenerate the config from the menu or make oldconfig to make sure all options and dependencies are regenerated and ok.

So basically you can either call it KatKernel with a different conf or call it something else if you prefer, but might be better to not use Kat in the name in that case as it might just confuse people more,
I'm already having a bad time getting users to understand what is KatKernel and what is K.A.T the app ;P

I never claimed to be a kernel developer :p Thanks for looking at it, I'll look through it again at some point. Any ideas why this seems (could just be placebo) to be more stable than flashing KAT#94 after the ROM? is it just because it's compiled with the ROM?

timduru

Apr 13, 2011
I never claimed to be a kernel developer :p Thanks for looking at it, I'll look through it again at some point. Any ideas why this seems (could just be placebo) to be more stable than flashing KAT#94 after the ROM? is it just because it's compiled with the ROM?

Could be because of the compiler but I doubt it.
What kind of "more stable" is it that you notice ?

- I mostly see 3 conf changes that might have a link toward stability:
I see the conf is changing a few wifi options and points it to a different firmware location it seems, it shouldn''t make a difference, but it could be that that makes it more stable and prevent some SOD for a few users in case they have a different brcm chip revision or if it's causing some side effect or something
but it's difficult to know precisely.

- Other thing is the use of spinlock, while that could bring a tiny bit of performance increase, that's usually more unstable,
but it could also be that, as it'll change the locking mecanism.

and then
CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_BARRIERS=y
not sure what that is, it seems to .. activate .. special .. arch ... barriers. ;P
Could be worth to have a look in the code to see what that does exactly :)

that's about it I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: josteink

jacobsensei

Mar 1, 2011
East Coast

I'm on Timduru's Kat94 without issue.

Edit:
Didn't know there were changes being made to Timduru's included kernel.

Sent from my Transformer

Last edited:

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011

Regards

I've had no issues downloading files as large as gigabyte size without corruption on stock or third party roms.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

josteink

Feb 8, 2011
Oslo

No idea. Feel free to try and I'll add info to fp.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

davebuk

Jul 6, 2011
Bournemouth
I noticed the TF300T codebase handled the track pad slightly differently, without being sure if that is sufficient. Might be worth looking into as well.

Anyway: awesome fix. It seems like you're just one step ahead of me in this game ;)

Anyway: gps fix should be in next build as well. Those suffering from poor gps signals, please provide feedback :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Amazing work! All working really well with non linaro 20130224.

GPS working without any extra files required.

All hardware toggles working as well.

Looking like a stable release version?

frederuco

Feb 27, 2012

Amazing work! All working really well with non linaro 20130224.

GPS working without any extra files required.

All hardware toggles working as well.

Looking like a stable release version?

Your touchpad disable is working? I just flashed the feb 24 and touchpad won't disable for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No-name CM10.1 nightlies

Welcome to the No-name CM10.1 nightlies ROM.

Features:
    - No fuzz, stable CM10.1-based ROM for the TF101.
    - Timduru's wonderful KAT kernel built in
    - Can play 720p MKVs over wifi using Dice Player (and similar) if OCed to 1.4GHz (see details on OCing below)
    - Support for battery-dock indicator
    - Up to date, nightly builds, with change-logs.
    - Linaro builds available too.
    - Works with PPP widget from the Play Store.
    - Native support for USB and SD-card dock storage.
    - TabletUI mod available.
    - Experimental TF101G support.

We'll do our best to keep it working, stable and fix issues as reported, but whoever feels like contributing should feel free.
    Pull requests welcome.

No-name parts with extra features can optionally be installed from market.
    If you feel like donating, you can install Straitjacket which is my paid app with some extra features. Plus it might give you a warm fuzzy feeling for being a good guy.

Installation:

If coming from any non-4.2.x/CM10.1-based ROM, a factory reset is very much recommended.

(0. Backup your existing ROM)
    1. Decide if you feel experimental. Linaro or normal build?
    2. Download latest nightly to device.
    3. Download special TF101 gapps linked below. (Choose only one)
    4. Boot into recovery. Use TWRP, not CWM, as CWM doesn't support 4.2 ROMs properly.
    5. Flash ROM. (This also wipes /system and any mods you already have.)
    7. Flash special TF101 Gapps.
    8. Optionally flash trackpad and/or tabletUI mod. (For tabletUI-mod: Do read below!)
    9. Ensure you wipe /cache and dalvik-cache.
    10. Reboot.

Basically, the normal procedure for any ROM.

Updating:

Updating from a previous build does not require a factory reset and will in no way delete any user-data or apps.

Be sure to flash ROM and to reflash gapps otherwise you will lose your current Google-account.

(0. Backup your existing ROM)
    1. Download latest nightly to device.
    2. Boot into recovery.
    3. Flash ROM. (This also wipes /system and any mods you already have.)
    4. Flash special TF101 Gapps.
    5. Optionally flash trackpad and/or tabletUI mod.
    6. Ensure you wipe /cache and dalvik-cache.
    7. Reboot.

Downloads

TF101 (Wifi only) ROM available here:
    - nexfiles
    - dlumberg's mirror

Experimental TF101G ROM available here:
    - nexfiles

NOTE: These require TWRP for TF101G to be flashed. a_sh_ has you covered.

Optional trackpad mods::
    - nexfiles
    - dlumberg's mirror
    - changes pointer-mode, but wont inverse scrolling direction of trackpad.

Gapps available here:
    - Special TF101 gapps by dlumberg & josteink.
    - dlumberg's mirror

Thanks to:

- The Cyanogenmod team, for all the goodies they keep on delivering, across devices.
    - RaymanFX, for a CM-compatible device-tree for the TF101.
    - Timduru, for KatKernel which keeps this thing stable and functional.
    - Auto-patcher, for tabletUI mod.
    - ShevT and a_sh_, for TF101G support.

Linaro?

So you are asking "What's Linaro anyway?". Good questions. To learn more, you can head to the Linaro. Since that is a big, big page with lots of technical stuff, I'll be nice and provide a brief explanation:

- Linaro makes an alternative toolchain which offers extra optimization-options not found in the "normal" Android build-chain. These optimizations should make the resulting build/ROM faster.
    - But these optimizations are not entirely proven yet, and there is some debate about compatibility-related side-effects.
    - These means that the resulting build may be less stable and/or less compatible with Android-software than builds produced using the normal build chain.

Is Linaro for you? It works for me. If you feel very conservative, it's probably best to avoid it.

If you still can't decide, you can check out this thread which dlumberg was nice enough to bring up. :)

TabletUI mod

In the ROM's download folder, for some releases you will find matching tabletUI mods availble for download.

Do note that these mods are created from the ROM itself and must be exactly matched.

That means that if your tabletUI mod is dated 20130428 and tagged "linaro", the only ROM that mod was created for was the 20130428 linaro build and no other build what so ever.
    A mod made for the linaro build isn't supported when applied to the standard build and vica verse. A mod made for one date should never be used on a build created on any other date.

These mods are highly specific and needs to be treated that way. If you are mixing things and having any sorts of issues, there's nothing I can or will do about that. You have been warned.

On over-clocking

Don't use SetCPU or other third party tools. They are not needed, as the ROM has built in OC-controls. Using such tools may cause a conflict and in worst case possibly RRs and SODs.

To unlock the OC controls, go to System settings, About tablet, scroll down to build number, and tap that repeatedly until the system responds with "You are now a developer".

Exit and re-enter settings. You should now have a section called "Performance". Here you can enter a submenu called "CPU". Using this is the supported and recommended way to do over-cloking.

Issues?

Check the Github issue-tracker. They may be reported already. If not, feel free to report them.
    https://github.com/josteink/device_asus_tf101/issues?state=open

Some issues are reported and closed, but have known workarounds:
    https://github.com/josteink/device_asus_tf101/issues?labels=workaround+available&page=1&state=closed

If not there, you can also check or ask in the thread. Most issues will probably benefit from public discussion.

Please do not PM me for technical support. You wont get it.

Sources:

Android is open-source. This is an open-source project.

Cyanogenmod:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/

TF101 device-tree:
    https://github.com/josteink/device_asus_tf101

Kat-kernel:
    https://github.com/timduru/tf101-katkernel

Experimental TF101G device-tree with modifications by ShevT:
    https://github.com/ShevT/device_asus_tf101g

Experimental Kat-kernel with config for TF101G:
    https://github.com/josteink/tf101-katkernel

Build-setup:
    https://github.com/josteink/android_multi-build
    https://github.com/josteink/simba

Auto-patcher:
    https://github.com/mateor/auto-patcher

Current contributors:
    - dlumberg
    - davebuk
    - ShevT
    - a_sh_
    - TheMrcool212
    - Jostein Kjønigsen (josteink)

Other questions:

- "These are the same builds you posted in RaymanFX's thread, right?"
    - Yes they are.

- "Bleeding edge... Does this include cherry-picks?"
    - No. Only regular CM updates which has passed gerrit code review, just like the official nightlies. We're bleeding edge. Not extra bleeding edge.

- "What makes this different from RaymanFX's 0.8 Work In Progress ROM?"
    - This ROM is based of his work, but he hasn't updated his sources in a long while. With the kernel being replaced by a non-Rayman kernel and him not really updating it anymore, I felt it would be wrong to keep posting it in his thread. As we keep making changes, I expect less and less of his original work will remain.

Thus I felt it was time to give. Not to mention, now people have easy to locate downloads and up to date instructions in the first post.
    Change log:

This log (mostly) reflects changes specifically to this ROM, and does not (usually) include changes upstream from Cyanogenmod.

2013-02-21: Initial release as own ROM, using forked KAT kernel.
    2013-02.24: GPS and battery-dock fixes.
    2013-02-25: Kernel renaming.
    2013-02-27: Fix touchpad-toggle on battery-dock. Thanks to whirleyes!
    2013-03-08: Fix issue with front-facing camera.
    2013-03-12: Fix issue with missing audio after deep sleep on some devices.
    2013-03-20: Added very basic trackpad mods.
    2013-03-21: Fix for bluetooth audio devices. Thanks Boomgawd!
    2013-03-22: Fix for non-working Google Backup.
    2013-03-24: Fix Google talk video chat (thanks to J-Pod)
    2013-03-29: Fix for 720p video-recording.
    2013-04-05: Kernel changed to actual KAT kernel nightlies as well.
    2013-04-14: Fix for Photosphere crashes merged upstream in CM. (Photosphere yet to be included in gapps)
    2013-05-12: Experimental builds for TF101G added.
    2013-05-20: TWRP for TF101G added.
    2013-05-21: TF101G build borken.
    2013-05-24: Broken TF101G builds fixed.
    2013-05-28: Added automatic building of tabletUI-mods for all 4.2 builds.
    2013-06-19: Updated Linaro toolchain.
    2013-06-23: Added support for exfat and better support for SD-card and USB devices in the settings.
    Tablet UI thanks to Auto Patcher http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1719408
    Caldair is going to commit the change to the repo so that auto-patcher will have native support for tf101 going forward. Big thanks to him

Flash from recovery over your existing rom.

TabletUI
    http://zenithosis.com/update-cm-tf101-20130320-tabletUI.zip

Restore phablet UI
    http://zenithosis.com/restore-cm-tf101-20130320.zip

There is no settings panel yet.

If you don't mind could you explain something for me then...I have

Using Total Commander as my file explore, I go to the "home/root" screen this is what I see

SD-Card Total Commander shows the path as /storage/emulated/0
    and
    SD-Card (2) Total Commander shows the path as /storage/sdcard1 (when I initially downloaded my ROMS and stuff, I put them on the physical SD card...this is where they are appearing.

If I go into /storage these are the folders I see

emulated
    sdcard0
    sdcard1
    sdcard2
    usbdisk0
    usbdisk1

Is it just me or does this seem unnecessarily messy? I'm not sure if this is a DEV issue or not, but thanks for your help! It seems to be a stable 4.2.2 ROM thus far.

Ok, so here is a rundown:
    sdcard1 is the microSD
    sdcard2 is the dock SD
    usbdisk0&1 are the two USB ports.

sdcard0 is the internal storage for the current user (also /sdcard/)

/storage/emulated/0/ is the primary user (only SuperUser). This is mounted as /sdcard/ and /storage/sdcard0/ when logged in.

If you add users, the second user has data stored at /storage/emulated/10/. When they are logged on, this folder is mounted at /sdcard/ and also /storage/sdcard0/

Additional users will be added in the following order in the /storage/emulated/ directory:
    1st user - 0
    2nd user - 10
    3rd user - 11
    4th user - 12
    5th user - 13
    Just to let you know: Ubuntu upgrade completed. Most things seems to have survived quite well, including the TF101 android build-setup.

Also: I've gotten word from ShevT about the changes involved, so I'm now working on getting the TF101G builds back up.

All in all, should (hopefully) be smooth sailing ahead now (unless I just jinxed it) :D