[Q] HTC One S Special Edition Radio Troubles

Search This thread

daina_lynn

May 5, 2014
Hi there,

I recently bought my partner an HTC One S Special Edition (the 64GB variant, villeplus). It's a beautiful phone, and part of the reason we bought it was that some blog (I think it was Engadget) said that apart from the increased storage, it was exactly the same as the original HTC One S (ville), which I have. Well, we rooted it, and even tried to install Viper on it, and that didn't go so well. We were able to restore back to stock, retain root.

All of the above is just a little background, though. Mostly irrelevant.

My partner can't get above 2g speeds on the phone. At first, we wondered if the attempted Viper install had borked the radio somehow, and I was hanging out in this forum, wondering if the fixes offered there would help.

Today, however, she took the phone into T-Mobile, and they say that the phone is missing the 1700 band to effectively operate here in the Twin Cities. So, my question is... Is she stuck on 2g, or is it possible at all that somehow the radio/hardware is disabled? I looked on the Taiwanese HTC site for the phone itself, and it doesn't list the 1700 band.

Does anyone know anything about this phone? Should we sell it? To whom? Tdon't want to sell it to someone in the same T-Mobile boat as us...