• No, I know how but I choose not to use them

Votes: 301 6.8%
  • I dont know how to change themes

Votes: 2,363 53.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

RandumAccess

Jan 4, 2009
Hello, I am a little new here. I am kind of a newb with a lot of things. I did root my device and replaced the boot images.. but i do not know how to make themes. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help by making a theme for me?

I added some images as to what i am looking to have done, that is of course anyone is willing to help. it is fairly simple i am looking to get the color scheme and kids icons if possible... maybe have a little fun with the clock or not if its too much work.

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it... i am a graphic designer more than a programmer.. a lot of this is confusing to me.

I really like this site and hopefully i can be of some help at some point. This is my first post but i plan on posting a lot more.

Attachments

• RAAndroid.jpg
    RAAndroid.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 20,170
  • RAAndroidlogo.jpg
    RAAndroidlogo.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 14,320

RandumAccess

Jan 4, 2009
Yeah ive seen that thread but it scares me...lol
I really dont know what I am doing with all that stuff. I dont really know if I understood everything in it either :-\

thanx though I will try to follow it and make a theme myself but it might take me a while...lol

brandenk

Aug 11, 2007
San Diego
Im teaching myself how to make themes as well. I have found it best to read through that walkthrough a million times and then PM a couple of the dev guys to answer specific questions.

Basically this is the process:

- Take a theme that you like for RC30 or ADP1 or whatever you wanna make it in

- Extract 2 folders inside, app, and framework into a new folder on your computer

- Rename add a .zip to the end of the apk files and extract them all so you have a bunch of folders with your app names

- Go into res and find any folder that says drawable and inside of there are the files to edit for your theme. Make sure not to edit the .9.png files.

- Once all your editing is done get into linux and turn all the folders back into zip files, then turn them back into apk files.

- Then take your app folder and framework folder that contain the new files and in linux create it into one zip file.

- Then you send the file back to windows, get the SignAPK files, put your zip in the folder with the SignAPK files and run some commands in the CMD to resign the file.

- Then rename that file update.zip and put it on the SDcard and give it a whirl.

This is how I understand the process after talking to a couple people for the last few days. I am hoping to release my own theme soon and if it works you will know that these steps are right. LOL And dont follow those directions, they are just to give you an idea of the steps involved.

RandumAccess

Jan 4, 2009
trying it out

Im teaching myself how to make themes as well. I have found it best to read through that walkthrough a million times and then PM a couple of the dev guys to answer specific questions.

- Extract 2 folders inside, app, and framework into a new folder on your computer

- Rename add a .zip to the end of the apk files and extract them all so you have a bunch of folders with your app names

- Go into res and find any folder that says drawable and inside of there are the files to edit for your theme. Make sure not to edit the .9.png files.

- Once all your editing is done get into linux and turn all the folders back into zip files, then turn them back into apk files.

- Then take your app folder and framework folder that contain the new files and in linux create it into one zip file.

- Then you send the file back to windows, get the SignAPK files, put your zip in the folder with the SignAPK files and run some commands in the CMD to resign the file.

- Then rename that file update.zip and put it on the SDcard and give it a whirl.

This is how I understand the process after talking to a couple people for the last few days. I am hoping to release my own theme soon and if it works you will know that these steps are right. LOL And dont follow those directions, they are just to give you an idea of the steps involved.

hey thanks... i am gonna try it now

brandenk

Aug 11, 2007
San Diego
@brandenk

why do we need to zip the files in linux? By the way thanks for the theming for dummies guide. ;)

I don't know why, something about how linux packages zip files opposed to windows, and yes once I figure it out and find all the problems people can have I am going to make up a nice walkthrough on making themes. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were already some theme manager apps in the works to make this whole process easier.

RandumAccess

Jan 4, 2009
package it for me?

Hey I was wondering if anyone could package my files for me?
I don't know linux commands at all and am lost... I did manage to edit the files but I can't put them back together.

If anyone could help with my New problem I would be very grateful!

randumaccess.com/r.a%20rc30.zip
That is the zip with the folders I edited.

Thanks
RandumAccess

Reactions: shanman-2

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
to tell everybody the truth i do all my themes in windows lol and only windows and it has worked on other peoples devices but shhhh thats out lil secret ;)

Yes, you can make the update.zip in Windows as long as you have the update script I wrote in linux and you do not edit, or open it in Windows. If you do it will get corrupted.

Stericson

Reactions: Quadroller

brandenk

Aug 11, 2007
San Diego
Yes, you can make the update.zip in Windows as long as you have the update script I wrote in linux and you do not edit, or open it in Windows. If you do it will get corrupted.

Stericson

So as long as we take that empty update.zip and just throw the apk's in their respective folders and resign the zip when we are done it should be good to go?

RandumAccess

Jan 4, 2009
I did something wrong (theme newb)

to tell everybody the truth i do all my themes in windows lol and only windows and it has worked on other peoples devices but shhhh thats out lil secret ;)

how do you do the themes in windows?
heres what i did:
1. I unzipped a theme
2. renamed apk's to zip's
3. unzipped each folder
4. edited the drawable files
5. zipped the folders with winrar
6. renamed them back to apk's
7. then i took the update script from Stericson and opened it with winrar and threw them in the app/framework folders

it didnt work for me.
I dont know linux and use windows, i am a newb with a lot of this stuff. I would like to know so i can create themes to my liking.

any help you could give me would be great!
i have all the files edited i just need to package them now.

thanks,
RandumAccess

Geo411m

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 3, 2009
Bartow Florida
make sure you zip the folders inside the main folder. If you're working on launch folder, zip the folder inside the folder named launch not the launch folder itself.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, I am a little new here. I am kind of a newb with a lot of things. I did root my device and replaced the boot images.. but i do not know how to make themes. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help by making a theme for me?

I added some images as to what i am looking to have done, that is of course anyone is willing to help. it is fairly simple i am looking to get the color scheme and kids icons if possible... maybe have a little fun with the clock or not if its too much work.

If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it... i am a graphic designer more than a programmer.. a lot of this is confusing to me.

I really like this site and hopefully i can be of some help at some point. This is my first post but i plan on posting a lot more.
    I would like to change the text color of the popup panel or menu to white.

paneltext.jpg

I have a nexus one, using CM6, and decompiled my framework-res.apk. I found in the Value folder that the styles.xml has the following that is relevant to changing the panel text color. The code:

<item name="panelBackground">@drawable/menu_background</item>
    <item name="panelFullBackground">@drawable/menu_background_fill_parent_width</item>
    <item name="panelColorForeground">?textColorPrimaryInverse</item>
    <item name="panelColorBackground">#ffffffff</item>
    <item name="panelTextAppearance">?textAppearanceInverse</item>

I did several things but the text is still black.

1)I removed "Inverse",
    2)changed the "panelColorBackground" to #ff000000 and, left "panelColorForeground" "panelTextAppearance" alone.
    3)removed "Inverse"

Nothing helps. Do you have any idea?

After I changed the styles.xml, I recompiled, copied original AndroidManifest.xml and META-INF folder to the modded framework-res.apk, then pushed. Is any of the following incorrect?

please help

In the styles.xml change:

<style name="TextAppearance.Widget.IconMenu.Item" parent="@style/TextAppearance.Small">
    <item name="textColor">?textColorPrimaryInverse</item>

to

<style name="TextAppearance.Widget.IconMenu.Item" parent="@style/TextAppearance.Small">
    <item name="textColor">@color/bright_foreground_dark</item>
    Nice concept...but I`m not sure if you have looked at this topic http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=467639 It describe how to make a theme and stuff, good starting point anyways. Hope it helps!
    @brandenk

why do we need to zip the files in linux? By the way thanks for the theming for dummies guide. ;)

I don't know why, something about how linux packages zip files opposed to windows, and yes once I figure it out and find all the problems people can have I am going to make up a nice walkthrough on making themes. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were already some theme manager apps in the works to make this whole process easier.