[How-To] Root and un-root the T-Mobile myTouch 3G

Search This thread

jakmai

Aug 13, 2009
I was able to create gold card ... or so I think ... When go into bootloader I do not get any steps it says "loading... SAPPIMG.zip" and then "checking SAPPIMG.zip" and then directly gives option to fastboot ... no confirmation or error ... so when I try to fastboot the recovery image I get "failed" error ... I tried haykuros way to adb shell and get permission denied. I'm running
PVT 32B board
SPL:1.33.0006 (SAPP30000)
Radio:2.22.19.26I
has anyone else had this issue with this spl and radio?
i have the same model as you, i just made the goldcard now im wondering if i should continue. 1.33.0006 was said to not be rootable in a older thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=529019,Haykuro
im not sure if this guide is for all mytouches even tho it runs the 1.33.0006 perfected spl?

grankin01

Feb 9, 2008
Georgetown, KY
.0006 your golden

i have the same model as you, i just made the goldcard now im wondering if i should continue. 1.33.0006 was said to not be rootable in a older thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=529019,Haykuro
im not sure if this guide is for all mytouches even tho it runs the 1.33.0006 perfected spl?

I also had the .0006 spl on my mt3g. Followed the instructions in Ra's tut and even did the Daredevil instructions. Am now running Cyanogen 3.9.8 with no problems. After flashing with the H image that Ra tells you to use however, several of my mt3g's software systems would force close no matter what I did. The dialer (phone software) and the Contacts (when trying to download from sim card) were the two main problems. Hence my reasoning for following the daredevil instructions. I have had NO trouble with the cyanogen rom other than the instability of the programs that I installed after updating to it.:D

jakmai

Aug 13, 2009
I also had the .0006 spl on my mt3g. Followed the instructions in Ra's tut and even did the Daredevil instructions. Am now running Cyanogen 3.9.8 with no problems. After flashing with the H image that Ra tells you to use however, several of my mt3g's software systems would force close no matter what I did. The dialer (phone software) and the Contacts (when trying to download from sim card) were the two main problems. Hence my reasoning for following the daredevil instructions. I have had NO trouble with the cyanogen rom other than the instability of the programs that I installed after updating to it.:D
thats odd. i am stuck it keeps saying boot img failed remote not allowed when i try to fastboot the recovery. Adb shell says error device not found, any tips? I ran the gold card fine. usb drivers installed.

grankin01

Feb 9, 2008
Georgetown, KY
by ran through the goldcard I assume you mean you flashed the sappimg.zip to the device. What it sounds like is the you have skipped a step and have not flashed the update.Engineering-SPL-HBOOT-1.33.2005-signed to replace the "not-so-perfect-after-all" spl. That error is the spl telling you that you are still locked out. That's the error I was getting before when I tried Haykuro's first root of the magic device before the release of the .0006 and .0010 spl's.

Hope this helped and good luck!:D

grankin01

Feb 9, 2008
Georgetown, KY
sorry jakmai I answered too quickly to see the device not found issue.:rolleyes: I had this problem too. You need to unistall all the usb drivers. Then when you plug in your device tell it that you want to manually install the drivers and browse to the usb drivers folder in the SDK directory. Choose the appropriate drivers and try again. That should fix the problem it did for me.:D

Then install the new engineering spl and it shouldn't remote not allow you again.

jakmai

Aug 13, 2009
sorry jakmai I answered too quickly to see the device not found issue.:rolleyes: I had this problem too. You need to unistall all the usb drivers. Then when you plug in your device tell it that you want to manually install the drivers and browse to the usb drivers folder in the SDK directory. Choose the appropriate drivers and try again. That should fix the problem it did for me.:D

Then install the new engineering spl and it shouldn't remote not allow you again.

ahh thx grankin01, the guide told me to run the recovery before the first update. i got it right now =D. now all i have to do is the daredevil part, but htc radio image is down it wont let me download.

rockin_mod

Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
help please

ok everyone. i gave up finally. after awhole long 24 hour cycle of trying to root me :mad:.... ok i have vista, i had installed the drivers correctly, i know this by me accessing adb shell when i wasnt in fastboot. I have made a goldcard without a problem and flashed the sappim. i am stuck on the recovery part. every time i go into fastboot and try to do the command to put the recovery on it no longer has adb. i can also tell this by seeing when vista tries to id the phone as "android 1.0". thus the driver should no longer work. im pretty frustrated but can be patient. ne one up to help me out?? i have read sooooo much and i am still lost. i am sorry to waste someones time. thank you for reading and or helping!!

grankin01

Feb 9, 2008
Georgetown, KY
Great news!

glad to here jakmai!:D No problem have fun with it. While I was talking to you I did a nandroid backup for cyanogen's mod and flashed qteknology's hero rom to try it out. Might leave it like this for a while.

Anyway, I would upload the images that you need from HTC or email them directly to you but I am not sure if that would piss some of the big fish off and HTC should have their site up pretty quickly.:eek:

ewells30

Aug 29, 2008
Holt
I was having the same problem as well. I had to delete the older Android SDK's from my computer and redownload Android-Sdk-Windows-1.5_r3. I then went to device manager and pointed to the Android 1.0 device it found, updated the drivers using the usb files in the newer Android SDK. After that it found my ADB Interface and called it HTC Bootloader. Then after opening a cmd window and typing adb remount I saw that it wouldnt mount. So I was like CRAP! So I took the recovery.img file and put it in the Tools folder found in the Android SDK. Went back to cmd window. Changed the directory to the Tools folder within the cmd window and then tried fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and voila it worked.

Hope this helps

Eric

rockin_mod

Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
I was having the same problem as well. I had to delete the older Android SDK's from my computer and redownload Android-Sdk-Windows-1.5_r3. I then went to device manager and pointed to the Android 1.0 device it found, updated the drivers using the usb files in the newer Android SDK. After that it found my ADB Interface and called it HTC Bootloader. Then after opening a cmd window and typing adb remount I saw that it wouldnt mount. So I was like CRAP! So I took the recovery.img file and put it in the Tools folder found in the Android SDK. Went back to cmd window. Changed the directory to the Tools folder within the cmd window and then tried fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and voila it worked.

Hope this helps

Eric

ok sweet. so pretty much start the sdk all over and point win to the actual sdk drivers... i always used the drivers that others put out. o and you just renamed the recovery.img to recovery? i hope this works cuz im getting sad. lol. i can root the hell out of a g1 but mt3g is killin me. thank you so much!!!!

rockin_mod

Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
ok i tried that and all i got was

c:\android-sdk-windows-1.5_r3\tools>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (3644 KB)... FAILED (remote: not allow)

c:\android-sdk-windows-1.5_r3\tools>

ne idea?? i re-did the sdk as well and re did the drivers for it. i dont get it??

ewells30

Aug 29, 2008
Holt
Hopefully it will work for you. It took me nearly 3 hours to root it but that was my fault for not creating the GoldCard correctly. If renaming the recovery.img doesnt work then just use the given name of it and try this command fastboot flash recovery recovery-RAv1.2.0G.img and then after it says sending....okay and then writing....okay DO NOT reboot the phone. Just press menu to power down and then reboot by holding the home and power key and then it should boot up into the recovery for you and then you can continue with the steps.

Eric

Also make sure when you are doing the fastboot flash recovery command and are using the RAv1.2.0g.img that you do type a 0 instead of a o. That was messing me up for a while as well.

Last edited:

jakmai

Aug 13, 2009
ok so i finished the steps besides getting it to 32b radio and rom. So far im not having issues with the MT3G. Anyone have any signature verify fail when trying to install the radio.img or the recovery rav1.2?

perevers

Jul 3, 2009
Valby
Hey.
I am having some trouble finding out if this method works for me. So i was wondering og anyone have tried with a magic bought in scandinavia. I have read other places that it cant be done on a scandinavian magic, dont know if its something with the build version. Ca. Anyone tell me if om wrong or right here?

KROMO50

May 4, 2009
Dallas,TX
i need help please this it my first time to do this and i am having a huge problem making the goldcard. i downloaded pterminal ann after i put in the code i have no idea how to bring up the code so i can put it in qmat. because the other Terminal Emulator need a keyboard and ptermainal is the only one to work with my touch so if anyone can help that will be great just need to know how to get the code.

bastage

Nov 25, 2008
So after all is done? Is there a way back? It doesn't look like Tmo offers a ROM to flash back to even for the G1 from my poking around on their site. The one I found on this site for the MT3G is kind of broken (I noticed it doesnt flip when you turn the the MT3G on it's side and wifi doesn't work). Is there a way to pull the ROM from from an unrooted MT3G?

my MT3G didn't rotate stock in the home screen.. Are you referring to apps not rotating or the home screen.
Also Try Cyan's 3.9.9.1, I am having absolutely no problems with it..

ok everyone. i gave up finally. after awhole long 24 hour cycle of trying to root me :mad:.... ok i have vista, i had installed the drivers correctly, i know this by me accessing adb shell when i wasnt in fastboot. I have made a goldcard without a problem and flashed the sappim. i am stuck on the recovery part. every time i go into fastboot and try to do the command to put the recovery on it no longer has adb. i can also tell this by seeing when vista tries to id the phone as "android 1.0". thus the driver should no longer work. im pretty frustrated but can be patient. ne one up to help me out?? i have read sooooo much and i am still lost. i am sorry to waste someones time. thank you for reading and or helping!!

I had the same problem for a minute with windows recognizing the device as Android 1.0.. I had to force windows to install the drivers from the SDK.

Evervoid

Aug 8, 2009
I can confirm everything is working thus far. I have rooted my mytouch 3g using the steps above and created the gold card with the sandisk sd card that came with the phone from t-mobile. I preformed the 'daredevil' steps which were fixed later in the thread (page 19 I think) and installed cyanogen's 32b rom.

Wifi is working too so I'm happy. Thank you all!

curveconcepts

i need help please this it my first time to do this and i am having a huge problem making the goldcard. i downloaded pterminal ann after i put in the code i have no idea how to bring up the code so i can put it in qmat. because the other Terminal Emulator need a keyboard and ptermainal is the only one to work with my touch so if anyone can help that will be great just need to know how to get the code.

If people read the forums or used search, they would find out that a few posts back i posted that you download terminal emulator. Go into the app, and hold down the menu button while in the program. The keyboard will pop up. That is a simple instruction that the mytouch manual states. But then, i only read the manual because i was bored as hell one night...