Which type of memory chip?

Search This thread

Ruslan88

Sep 22, 2008
Hello. I bought this phone last week and I absolutely love it. I've been searching the forums and can't wait to upgrade Android and install apps. This is my first android phone and I like how it can be customized. Before I do anything, I want to purchase a memory chip for the phone. I want to install and run apps from the chip but unsure of which to get. What size, brand, and class do you recommend? I have a 8gb class 2 from my old phone. Is that good enough? I'm thinking about getting either a 16-32 gb. Thanks.

EazyLuke

Oct 19, 2010
I have a 8GB Sandisk Class2 for ~12€ from eBay. Works perfectly, even with Apps2SD.

nibras_reeza

Feb 8, 2011
Colombo
nibras.co.cc
Hello. I bought this phone last week and I absolutely love it. I've been searching the forums and can't wait to upgrade Android and install apps. This is my first android phone and I like how it can be customized. Before I do anything, I want to purchase a memory chip for the phone. I want to install and run apps from the chip but unsure of which to get. What size, brand, and class do you recommend? I have a 8gb class 2 from my old phone. Is that good enough? I'm thinking about getting either a 16-32 gb. Thanks.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13021193&postcount=10

theares2014

Feb 23, 2011
I'm using a 16 GB Class 6 (14 GB free memory and 700 MB for Link2SD).
I bought a Class 6 because i heard that there might be some problems with Link2SD/App2SD and Classes less than 6...
I haven't any problems with it -> Ebay 40 €

gizmo001i

Apr 22, 2011
If you are going to install a custom ROM then I would be careful about using a 32Gb card as I have heard of people having problems with them. As vqt907 has said, I would go for at least a class 4 card.

typci

Apr 26, 2011
Xian, China (陕西,西安)
I was considering upgrading my SD card from a class 4 to a class 10, for the speed improvement. So, I first tested my card to see what it's current speed was.

My card is an LD ( class4 8GB, bought off the street in China:
Write: 11.7 MB/s
Read: 18.0 MB/s

If my understanding of speed class correctly, this is class10 speed, not class4.

So I tested my Chinese "Kingston" - mostly likely a "ghost shift" chip, also class4 8GB:
Write 7.1 MB/s
Read 14.7 MB/s

This is class6 speed, not class4.

So, if you buy counterfeit chips in China (or online from China), you can get a class10 chip for very cheap, I paid $13 for my 8GB card. Just test the speed before you buy.

So check the speed of your card before you buy a new one.

theares2014

Feb 23, 2011
...So, if you buy counterfeit chips in China (or online from China), you can get a class10 chip for very cheap, I paid $13 for my 8GB card. Just test the speed before you buy.

So check the speed of your card before you buy a new one.

... and check out if there is the right memory on the chip :D

MrAndroid12

Mar 30, 2011
Auckland
A proper branded Memory card like Sand disk, Transcend, Kingston and so on.
Never get fakes or non-branded ones as a 99% chance of pre broken risk is at your slide (personal experience)

A class 4 or higher would be reasonable.

theone112

Jun 20, 2011
I've been planning on buying a new sd card since the default 2gb is waaaay to small and I've got a few questions.

My current write/read speeds are 7.0Mb/s~ and 12.6Mb/s - which class is that?

How big is the actual practical difference between let's say, a class 6 and a class 10 card?

bataya

Apr 12, 2010
Belgrade
look like class 6, class number is write speed in MB/s. btw, there is no reason to buy class 10 duo very slow pc>phone>pc transfer rate. I can get more then 2-3MB/s (cable, wireless)