[USER Tips] HD/HD+ Stock Root User Tips from LeapinLar

8,873 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,880

By leapinlar, Senior Member on 15th November 2012, 05:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
1st December 2012, 09:53 AM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I was able to enable unknown source based on your other post.

This is my post.
1st December 2012, 05:05 PM |#112  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Windows 7. I tried your suggestion, but no prompts came up when I plugged the Nook back in after disabling BNTV600.

Anything else I can try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

You did not say which version of Windows you are using. It makes a difference what trouble shooting steps are necessary.

If no drivers attempt to install, temporarily disable that device under portable devices, unplug and replug and see if anything pops up.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk

1st December 2012, 06:06 PM |#113  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunchers

Windows 7. I tried your suggestion, but no prompts came up when I plugged the Nook back in after disabling BNTV600.

Anything else I can try?

And you successfully completed steps 1-3?

When you look in device manager, do you see any devices with a yellow exclamation point next to it? If you do, try to update the driver for that to the HD+ driver. Are there any devices under Android Phone? We are looking for Android ADB Composite Interface. If it has a device there without the work Composite, uninstall it. And when it tries to reinstall, use the HD+ driver.

1st December 2012, 07:06 PM |#114  

More
Yep, steps 1-3 went swimmingly. Attached the Nook with Enable ADB off. Device installed successfully. Unplugged, and turned on ADB. Plugged back in and . . . nothing.

Don't see any devices with exclamation points in the device manager. There's just the BNTV600 entry that appears when I plug in the Nook. Now, that said, in the past I've plugged in some Android phones, so maybe that's something to consider; it seemed like it might have been a problem in some of the other posts I've looked at.

I have access to a mac, also. Would that be easier? I just want to sideload a couple of apps.

And thanks for your help and quick responses, btw!

Quote:

And you successfully completed steps 1-3?

When you look in device manager, do you see any devices with a yellow exclamation point next to it? If you do, try to update the driver for that to the HD+ driver. Are there any devices under Android Phone? We are looking for Android ADB Composite Interface. If it has a device there without the work Composite, uninstall it. And when it tries to reinstall, use the HD+ driver.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

You know, I just noticed that I have a complete Android SDK installation, too, from a previous mucking around with a rooted device. Should I uninstall that?
1st December 2012, 07:28 PM |#115  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yep, steps 1-3 went swimmingly. Attached the Nook with Enable ADB off. Device installed successfully. Unplugged, and turned on ADB. Plugged back in and . . . nothing.

Don't see any devices with exclamation points in the device manager. There's just the BNTV600 entry that appears when I plug in the Nook. Now, that said, in the past I've plugged in some Android phones, so maybe that's something to consider; it seemed like it might have been a problem in some of the other posts I've looked at.

I have access to a mac, also. Would that be easier? I just want to sideload a couple of apps.

And thanks for your help and quick responses, btw!

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

You know, I just noticed that I have a complete Android SDK installation, too, from a previous mucking around with a rooted device. Should I uninstall that?

No, don't remove the SDK.

If you have played with ADB for other devices, you may have a something in Android phone in device manager. You never answered about that. If there is, uninstall it.

And, yes, a Mac might be easier. I have heard no complaints about setting up ADB on those and Windows are nothing but trouble.

1st December 2012, 08:16 PM |#116  

More
I can't find any references to Android in my Device Manager, I'm afraid.

I went to that BN link, but couldn't find instructions for how to set up ADB and those drivers on a Mac. Can you point me in the right direction?

Quote:

No, don't remove the SDK.

If you have played with ADB for other devices, you may have a something in Android phone in device manager. You never answered about that. If there is, uninstall it.

And, yes, a Mac might be easier. I have heard no complaints about setting up ADB on those and Windows are nothing but trouble.

1st December 2012, 08:36 PM |#117  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I can't find any references to Android in my Device Manager, I'm afraid.

I went to that BN link, but couldn't find instructions for how to set up ADB and those drivers on a Mac. Can you point me in the right direction?

I think the Mac has the drivers built in. But you still need to have the SDK installed on it so you have the ADB commands and the .ini file

I just looked at the B&N instructions and they were just updated. If you want to try Windows again, scroll way down the page until you get to section 4.6. Follow those steps. I just updated my OP to suggest that.

1st December 2012, 09:12 PM |#118  

More
Thanks for this. Looked at the instructions, but nothing's worked so far. The mac isn't mine, so I'm not ready to go through the whole installation of the android sdk on it. Giving up for now. I'm actually thinking of selling the thing now, and just getting a Nexus 7 and be done with it!

Quote:

I think the Mac has the drivers built in. But you still need to have the SDK installed on it so you have the ADB commands and the .ini file

I just looked at the B&N instructions and they were just updated. If you want to try Windows again, scroll way down the page until you get to section 4.6. Follow those steps. I just updated my OP to suggest that.

2nd December 2012, 04:56 AM |#119  
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi I tried to follow the instruction but I got stuck at step 5, after I choose the android_winusb.inf, I got an error message says the folder doesn't contain a compatible driver. I am using windows 7 64bit ultimate. Could someone please help me to shoot this problem, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersonic_ca

This is what I did:

1. Plugged my Nook HD+ to my computer (ADB enabled)
2. Device Manager / BNTV600 / Update Driver Software / Browse my computer for driver software / Usb_driver_r04-windows folder / OK
3. Clicked on ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer’
4. MTP USB Device appeared so I clicked on ‘Have Disk’
5. Browsed ‘android_winsub’ and clicked Open and OK
6. Android Composite ADB Interface appeared so I clicked ‘Next’
7. Message, ‘Windows can’t verify the publisher of this driver software’
8. Install this driver software anyway
9. Rebooted my computer
10. When the Nook is connected to the computer (ADB not enabled)
a. The Nook shows up as a G: drive and ‘MyNOOK Setup’ is the only file in it
b. Clicking on the ‘MyNOOK Setup’ brings me to a message:
• Welcome to MyNOOK Setup.
• MyNOOK Setup is a one-time installation that will allow you to tranfer your personal files to your NOOK.
• Transferable files include, but are not limited to: photos, music, videos, EPUB, PDF and Microsoft Office files.
• Note: Copyright protected files are not transferable
• To install, go to .... can't post link since im a noob
• For more information, visit ..... can't post link since im a noob
c. MyNOOKSetup.dmg appears when I click on the first link
11. When the Nook is connected to the computer (ADB enabled)
a. AutoPlay ‘BNTV600’ constantly appears.
12. I cannot access the internal or external memory on the Nook for both #10 & #11,
13. Running ‘makeroot.bat’ in the cmd for both #10 & #11 does not work either.
14. Device Manager / NOOK (BNTV600 no longer exist)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	52
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1528812  
2nd December 2012, 08:47 AM |#120  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingzq

Hi I tried to follow the instruction but I got stuck at step 5, after I choose the android_winusb.inf, I got an error message says the folder doesn't contain a compatible driver. I am using windows 7 64bit ultimate. Could someone please help me to shoot this problem, thank you!

This is so frustrating. People read the first post, try it and if it does not work, they just say help at the end without reading the posts that other users have put up that might help. If you look through this thread, dozens of people have had the problem of not getting adb working easily. I put in the first post what should work, but there are so many configurations of Windows and prior software that users have installed that every case is different. There is a good trouble shooting section in the B&N guide I referenced in the first post. Look at section 4.6.

I am not trying to pick on you, but it is so frustrating having everyone ask the same question without reading the thread.
2nd December 2012, 03:09 PM |#121  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This is much more constructive: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=132
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nook hd+ hd, rooting, tips

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)