[INFO] OpenVPN

Search This thread

morak

Apr 15, 2009
I just got OpenVPN working and thought I would share:

Rooted

Installed tun.ko
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1063656
Note: Skip this step if you are running Prime or any other ROM with the tun.ko module pre-installed.

Installed BusyBox using BusyBox Installer (Market). Installed to /system/xbin
Installed OpenVPN using OpenVPN Installer (Market) to /system/xbin
Installed OpenVPN Settings (Market)

Replaced OpenVPN binary with the one from:
http://code.google.com/p/android-openvpn-settings/issues/detail?id=26
UnBZ2'ed the file (I used 7-Zip on Windows for this)

adb remount
adb push openvpn-static-2.1.1 /system/xbin/openvpn
adb shell
chmod 555 /system/xbin/openvpn

Created /system/xbin/bb directory (requested in research I did, not sure if required)
mkdir /system/xbin/bb

Symlinked Busybox ifconfig and route /system/xbin/bb

ln -s /system/xbin/ifconfig /system/xbin/bb/ifconfig
ln -s /system/xbin/route /system/xbin/bb/route

Set up my usual OVPN config (configs must have absolute paths to certs!)
OpenVPN settings > Advanced > Load tun kernel module ON
OpenVPN settings > Advanced > TUN module settings
Load module using > insmod
Path to tun module > /system/lib/modules/tun.ko

I think this is everything I did, there was a bit of trial and error so I may have forgotten something.
Checked and the thing still boots afterward :D

Last edited:

morak

Apr 15, 2009
Assuming you have installed BusyBox, check the md5sum of your tun.ko:

# cd /system/lib/modules
# md5sum tun.ko

Response should be (or at least this is what I get):

7e09817dc4661b732f1a77fff76a10e6 tun.ko

If you don't get that response, I suggest you re-download the tun module, decompress it again and re-push it to your Transformer.

morak

Apr 15, 2009
Are you running stock? If you are running a different kernel the module probably won't work.

duckdown

Feb 27, 2009
peel region
Google Pixel 2
It's running and connected but my IP is still showing up as my regular ISP 3G IP when I open a browser and go to www.ipchicken.com

Any idea why the traffic doesn't appear to be routing through it?

It shows as 100% connected and the key icon is white in the taskbar...

duclicsic

May 16, 2006
Any idea why the traffic doesn't appear to be routing through it?

The default behaviour of OpenVPN is not to install a default route pointing out of the tun interface, unless the system you're connected to has IP forwarding and NAT enabled this wouldn't work anyway.

I can't post links, so google "openvpn config" and go to the first link. Look for the section titled: "Routing all client traffic (including web-traffic) through the VPN."

duckdown

Feb 27, 2009
peel region
Google Pixel 2
Hey man, thanks for the reply.

The directions said to add this line to the config file

Code:
push "redirect-gateway def1"

But I've done that and it still doesn't seem to be doing anything.. IP is still showing up as my regular 3G network

Am I doing something wrong or omitting a step that you can notice?

Thanks again for the help

duckdown

Feb 27, 2009
peel region
Google Pixel 2
Oh, hm, on second look it wants me to add that line to the SERVER's config file.

I have no access to the servers config file -- I pay $4 a month for my VPN and do not run the OpenVPN server myself.

Is there anything I can do from the client side?

It works perfectly fine in Windows, routing all traffic through the VPN as it should..

duclicsic

May 16, 2006
Oh, hm, on second look it wants me to add that line to the SERVER's config file.

I have no access to the servers config file -- I pay $4 a month for my VPN and do not run the OpenVPN server myself.

Is there anything I can do from the client side?

It works perfectly fine in Windows, routing all traffic through the VPN as it should..

You might actually be able to just use the "redirect-gateway local def1" line in your own config, as I understand it the "push" directives in the server conf are just sending config to the clients which could just as easily be done client side. I might be wrong, but it's worth a go. Otherwise you can set up routes in the client config too, but you may have to remove your existing default route via some scripting or something.

Kevincod

May 9, 2011
You might actually be able to just use the "redirect-gateway local def1" line in your own config, as I understand it the "push" directives in the server conf are just sending config to the clients which could just as easily be done client side. I might be wrong, but it's worth a go. Otherwise you can set up routes in the client config too, but you may have to remove your existing default route via some scripting or something.

This is correct, I have this and the exact same conf works fine on my desktop.
However on my tablet no data gets routed. Also my tray is getting spammed with "Connected".

Last edited:

PowellEB

Feb 7, 2010
North Carolina
Check out thread 1118465, in The general section. Found that /system/bin/ip was not setting up route/gateway correctly, and openvpn was not using the busybox ip
fix: mv /system/bin/ip /system/bin/ip.bay
This then forces use of busybox ip. Worked for me.

Reactions: randrew2

jefbal99

Aug 26, 2010
Check out thread 1118465, in The general section. Found that /system/bin/ip was not setting up route/gateway correctly, and openvpn was not using the busybox ip

We had to do the same thing to get Cisco VPN working. the system IP was not routing properly, so renaming it forced using the busybox IP

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just got OpenVPN working and thought I would share:

Rooted

Installed tun.ko
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1063656
    Note: Skip this step if you are running Prime or any other ROM with the tun.ko module pre-installed.

Installed BusyBox using BusyBox Installer (Market). Installed to /system/xbin
    Installed OpenVPN using OpenVPN Installer (Market) to /system/xbin
    Installed OpenVPN Settings (Market)

Replaced OpenVPN binary with the one from:
    http://code.google.com/p/android-openvpn-settings/issues/detail?id=26
    UnBZ2'ed the file (I used 7-Zip on Windows for this)

adb remount
    adb push openvpn-static-2.1.1 /system/xbin/openvpn
    adb shell
    chmod 555 /system/xbin/openvpn

Created /system/xbin/bb directory (requested in research I did, not sure if required)
    mkdir /system/xbin/bb

Symlinked Busybox ifconfig and route /system/xbin/bb

ln -s /system/xbin/ifconfig /system/xbin/bb/ifconfig
    ln -s /system/xbin/route /system/xbin/bb/route

Set up my usual OVPN config (configs must have absolute paths to certs!)
    OpenVPN settings > Advanced > Load tun kernel module ON
    OpenVPN settings > Advanced > TUN module settings
    Load module using > insmod
    Path to tun module > /system/lib/modules/tun.ko

I think this is everything I did, there was a bit of trial and error so I may have forgotten something.
    Checked and the thing still boots afterward :D
    I forgot the part with the modified openvpn, I replaced the binary and the routing works great now, however I still get spammed with "Connected" in the tray.

Seems to be a common issue: http://code.google.com/p/android-openvpn-settings/issues/detail?id=74#c0
    Having issues with the tun.ko module. I can lsmod the tun.ko and it works but when i reboot the device it's not installed/live anymore. Anyway to get the tun.ko to install once the device boots?

If you're using OpenVPN Settings you can change the advanced settings to load the module before starting the openvpn process, which works well for me.