Disclaimer: this piece of software is not for the unexperienced and might bring you in a situation you can't resolve yourself. So don't use it if you fear the potential danger of bricking your device. I am responsible for nothing related to this kernel and therefore won't help. If you decide to use it anyway you agree to be ultimately responsible for all consequences that may occur. So you have been warned !
Besides there are even guides and tutorials all over the forum and in most cases your question was already answered.
If you take a moment and read through the WHOLE post below and a few more moments to read some of all the stuff in other device related threads of this forum, you will find ALL you need just there.
It's not invisible so you CAN find it. And forum rules and good manners tell you to do it exactly like this. And I WILL ignore every question that is already answered here.
Obey the rules !
Kernel feature list
- OC up to 1.8 GHz, UC down to 122 MHz (customisable eg. via AnTuTu CPUmaster/SetCPU)
- Undervolted (750 mV minimum) with VDD support (customisable eg. via AnTuTu CPUmaster/IncrediControl)
- many CPU governors included, smartassV2 is default
- many I/O schedulers, SIO is default
- optimized for high performance AND extreme low battery usage
- JFS and CIFS support
- TUN included (VPN support)
- cleancache (up to V1.4d)
- increased loudness
- all useful Thunderbolt and Adrenaline Shot main tweaks combined, optimized for I9001 and integrated
- init.d support (use carefully, because tweaks are already integrated, installing/executing them twice can result in strange failures)
- Thunderbolt's LMK60 addon (aka adrenaline shot's supercharger V6 tweak) already built-in, DO NOT install separately !
- Thunderbolt's remount script integrated
- Thunderbolt's zipalign script integrated
- Thunderbolt's graphics addon integrated
- Thunderbolt's binary addon integrated
- Thunderbolt's sqlite addon integrated
- Thunderbolt's screenstate_scaling script not included but compatible
- enhanced 3D graphics (updated internal kernel drivers)
- I8150 GPU libraries included in CWM package up to V1.4d, optional in V1.5
- custom bootanimation support (animation NOT included, place your own here: /system/media/bootanimation.zip)
- custom bootsound (/system/etc/PowerOn.wav)
- sdcard speed increased
- improved jpg quality for better camera pics
- GPS faster fix in V1.4x only
- in V1.5 stock GPS files are untouched
- and some more which I already have forgotten
This kernel is meant for use with ANY Gingerbread stock ROM and custom ROMs as well (i.e. Android V 2.3.x only !). To prevent compatibility problems with custom ROMs that include system tweaks like Thunderbolt and Adrenaline Shot any existing init.d folder will be purged while installing the SkyHigh kernel. This is not a bug but a mandatory feature !
If you think you have an important script you will still need with SkyHigh like the screenstate_scaling script, copy it to your (internal) sdcard first then copy it back to the empty init.d after installing SkyHigh.
init.d support means that SkyHigh kernel will execute any scripts inside a folder /system/etc/init.d automatically but obviously only if these exist.
If you are using a custom ROM without init.d folder or any stock ROM you might have to create the init.d folder yourself. For more details there are tutorials in this forum.
1. If you don't have CWM (FeaMod Recovery) install this first. If you never heard of that learn all about it here:
2. Now make a complete nandroid backup of your phone with CWM
3. Download the attached CWM zip package
4. Copy it to your internal sdcard
5. In CWM choose "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from internal sdcard"
6. Select the downloaded file "GT-I9001_SkyHigh_kernel_V1.x_CWM_signed.zip"
7. Confirm install with "Yes"
8. Wait till you see the message "Reboot to use SkyHigh kernel V1.x !"
9. Do so like the message says.
10. On first boot this may take a while. You will see the Samsung logo and then a black screen for at least 2 minutes up to 5 minutes. If this happens hang on, don't touch anything and don't switch the phone off or pull the battery. This would most probably break your ROM !
11. Usually many files and databases are optimized on first boot but eventually you will see the lock screen or PIN dialog. Then you are all set and beginning with the next boot this will be much faster, promised
Remark: especially on preoptimized (custom) ROMs this won't happen since there's not much to optimize. So it's no bug but a feature when it doesn't happen and your phone boots up in less than a minute
- If you want FeaMod Recovery together with SkyHigh kernel just follow the install instructions above. Install desired version of FeaMod first and then SkyHigh. You will end up with the combination you wanted.
- If anything went wrong during install just try again.
- If you have any issues with your sdcard(s) this is not due to SkyHigh or its install procedure. I will never ever even touch your sdcard(s). But it is always a good idea to have a rather current backup of the sdcard(s) handy. CWM makes no backup of these, so you have to do that manually.
- If your phone doesn't boot even after 10 minutes waiting (see step 10.) or you end up with a damaged system because you didn't wait long enough just go back into CWM and restore the backup you made.
- If you can't boot into recovery anymore just install FeaMod 1.2 via Odin again.
- If you got severe errors AND didn't make a backup because you knew better than the developer don't even dare to beg for help.
If you encounter any other errors report them here but be sure that this is no feature or problem that was already described above or in the FAQ below.
While V1.3 lacks some of the features above (especially the Thunderbolt/AS tweaks) it is totally safe with sd cards, at least I never got a single report on that issue. The older V1.3 is still added as attachment for your convenience although V1.4d already fixes all sd card problems.