[HACK] Flash on Any Website in IE10 Metro Browser [WIN 8 & WIN RT]

Search This thread

Marvin_S

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 8, 2010
Can anybody confirm whether this specific method still works on the Surface RT even with latest updates?

I have heard some conflicting stories, so I decided to let the first post the way it is, since it seems to work for many.

If it will not work anymore, I will add an annotation to the first post and leave it up for reference.

Kind regards

NeGATiV_

Jul 28, 2011
London
Can anybody confirm whether this specific method still works on the Surface RT even with latest updates?

I have heard some conflicting stories, so I decided to let the first post the way it is, since it seems to work for many.

If it will not work anymore, I will add an annotation to the first post and leave it up for reference.

Kind regards

I have all the latest updates and I just used this method to add mousebreaker.com which wasn't working and it now works.....
so yes it does still work :)

Reactions: Marvin_S

goofball2k

Oct 5, 2010
Ottawa

Kind regards

Still works here, used it to add hgtv.com for some videos.

UBNAS81

Jul 11, 2012
Nothing is working for me now - I have added webpages per the instructions, and its not working - I had a few working, and since the last update, I went back to see if they were working and they are not. I deleted history, etc, and still no luck.

To top if off - my IE is running much slower than it previously was.

Any suggestions??

elyl

May 12, 2005
Glasgow
Does anyone know the URL where iecompatdata.xml is downloaded from by IE10?

I have a plan to create a script which maintains a list of user-allowed Flash sites, and merges it daily with the main IE10 iecompatdata.xml file.

Greg2k

Feb 3, 2011
Madrid
www.dondeloechan.com
Does anyone know the URL where iecompatdata.xml is downloaded from by IE10?

I have a plan to create a script which maintains a list of user-allowed Flash sites, and merges it daily with the main IE10 iecompatdata.xml file.
Pardon my ignorance, but do you think it's possible to alter your Windows RT hosts file to make sure this IEcompat file is retrieved from another URL? As in, I can host an XML file on my webserver and have that retrieved every time IE wants to update the IEcompat file from Microsoft's servers. Anyone tried that?

Marvin_S

Dec 8, 2010
Pardon my ignorance, but do you think it's possible to alter your Windows RT hosts file to make sure this IEcompat file is retrieved from another URL? As in, I can host an XML file on my webserver and have that retrieved every time IE wants to update the IEcompat file from Microsoft's servers. Anyone tried that?

I think this might be possible, it might be stored as a (hidden) variable in the registry. I've tried to find it but I did not succeed. Maybe with a bit of wiresharking and some browsing around the registry it might be possible to find it.

However you can also just manually add files right?

EDIT: Actually the url where its downloaded from was posted on the last post of page 9

Last edited:

Marvin_S

Dec 8, 2010
Anyone use websites like vudu, projectfreetv, or atdhe on their surface rt? Wanted to see if it's just human error on my part because I can't get those three to work. Maybe they need adobe air or silverlight?

Be sure to also add the domains on which those videos are truely hosted on... (see the FAQ on the first page)

Those websites probably host their content on third party sites (like a lot of blogs host their videos on youtube, you will need to add youtube.com in that case or equivallent).

Marvin_S

Dec 8, 2010
Nothing is working for me now - I have added webpages per the instructions, and its not working - I had a few working, and since the last update, I went back to see if they were working and they are not. I deleted history, etc, and still no luck.

To top if off - my IE is running much slower than it previously was.

Any suggestions??

Can you try it with Putlocker.com for example? Just to see if that works.

It will not slow IE10 down in particular, all it does is just unblocking the built in flash for the added websites. The slowdown are probably sideeffects of something unrelated to this method.

elyl

May 12, 2005
Glasgow

Probably. My plan is to take advantage of Microsoft's list, so you don't need to explicitly allow already-whitelisted sites, and merge this with your own list of sites... we could even maintain a public list of Flash sites and merge that in too. I'll look into how feasible this is.

Reactions: purian23

Marvin_S

Dec 8, 2010
Probably. My plan is to take advantage of Microsoft's list, so you don't need to explicitly allow already-whitelisted sites, and merge this with your own list of sites... we could even maintain a public list of Flash sites and merge that in too. I'll look into how feasible this is.

There is already a list and a system online, it was proposed in the first couple of pages of this thread.

The problem is how to change the url of IE so that this list will be downloaded automatically :) if we can somehow achieve that (i.e. by a registry edit) it will be perfect.

elyl

May 12, 2005
Glasgow
There is already a list and a system online, it was proposed in the first couple of pages of this thread.

The problem is how to change the url of IE so that this list will be downloaded automatically :) if we can somehow achieve that (i.e. by a registry edit) it will be perfect.

in that case it's simple to set a script on a schedule to copy the file from that address to the correct folder.

I think we need to publicise this post a bit more so we can all start adding to the list:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33731429&postcount=18

I'd still like a more immediate way to add sites to my personal list without having to fill in a captcha and redownload, so I'll look into a more robust solution... one that can maybe download IE's list, that list, and combine it with the user's local list, with an easy way to immediately allow a site from within IE.

Reactions: jessenic

greatony

Jan 3, 2013
Firstly thanks a lot for this guide. It works perfectly with all the latest updates for Surface installed.
I'd like to ask you though if there is any way of playing swf files which are locally saved.
I tried loading the swf inside an html file but IE wouldn't load it.
I've added the file path (eg. C:\) into the whitelist but again didn't load.
Is there any other way of stating the path?
Any advice would be more than welcomed!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear all,

As we all know Windows RT/8's IE Metro browser has limited flash support based on a whitelist. However a lot of sites are not (yet) whitelisted and hence do not work as desired. So I did some digging in the whitelist mechanism and found a way to hack it.

Be sure to follow the following steps in respective order:

• Open Desktop IE10 type ALT --> Tools --> Compatibility View settings. Now UNCHECK the last checkmark which says: "Download updated compatibility list from Microsoft". If you have done this, you will be able to locally change the whitelist without getting overridden.
      WARNING: If this checkbox is checked IE will override your custom whitelist back to default on each rebout, so be sure to uncheck it..

• The whitelist is named "iecompatdata.xml" and is located in this path (copy + paste in File Explorer or IE10)
      Code:
      %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\
      (Alternatively open File Explorer and search in C:\ for "iecompatdata")

As suggested by danchar4, you can open and edit this file directly with Notepad by pressing WIN + R and type:
      Code:
      notepad "%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml"

All whitelisted flash enabled websites are located in this file inbetween the following tags:
      Code:
      <Flash>
              [...]
              <domain>zumiez.com</domain>
              <domain>zynga.com</domain>
      </Flash>
    • To add a website to the whitelist, all you do is add your desired website inside these tags as follows:
      Code:
      <domain>YOURDESIREDDOMAIN.COM</domain>
      Add as many websites as you desire...
    • Now we are almost done, one last task is to delete browsing histroy. Open IE10 Metro and click WIN+I (to open settings) --> Internet Options —> Delete browsing history

And you are all set and done. Flash is now enabled in IE10 Metro for the websites you have added to the whitelist!

Of course as with any hack, attempt only at your own risk. I am not responsible in case faulty behaviour occurs... That said, it should be fine :)

Kind regards,

Marvin
    Alternatively, we could create some kind of "community" maintained whitelist, where anybody can just add any website and we will then point IE10 to download a whitelist from this community maintained source (instead of from Microsoft).

Here you can add sites: http://minecraft.digiex.org/flash/
    And here is the list itself: http://minecraft.digiex.org/flash/iecompatviewlist.xml

Working with Nuduaa on a auto downloader script to autoupdate it every now and then on the surface.
    Glad I was able to help! I'm getting close to the next release of my EnableFlash scripts. They will automatically update the whitelist, while also allowing the use of IE Compat List updates.
    100% MS-blessed and documented way

For the XML file edit method please use this path - the environment variable makes it universal:
    Code:
    %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml
    to open the doc for editing cut and paste the following to the command-line or to the Winkey+R run box:
    Code:
    notepad "%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml"

If you are content testing one site at a time, there is a 100% documented way of doing this:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/jj193557.aspx

To test your Flash content in Internet Explorer 10, add the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Flash\DebugDomain
    where DebugDomain is a string value specifying the domain name as its data. (For example, movies.contoso.com). For example:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Flash\DebugDomain = movies.contoso.com

Note on the DebugDomain string value:
    •Direct URLs to a page or resource are not supported (for example, contoso.com/xyz). Any value containing ‘/’ is not supported, including: http:// (or https://).
    •Do not use “www.” prefix, which is stripped (for example, www.movies.yahoo.com loads as http://movies.yahoo.com).
    •Only a single domain is supported.

If you find this helpful vote up and get this added to the first post.
    This seems to work as a wildcard for any website.
    Code:
    <domain>*</domain>

Where adding .com does not
    Code:
    <domain>*.com</domain>