By 123talis, Junior Member on 29th October 2009, 11:14 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
31st October 2009, 12:26 AM |#11  
Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by beast0898

Getting a fix whilst moving is normally a lot harder than if you are static.

The Raphael GPS is not the best and can be quite laggy.
Ensure that AGPS is disabled as this is not supported by most cell networks at present. Update the quick GPS software.
Find an area with a clear view of the sky and you should get a fix within seconds.

AGPS is noramlly the cause of the GPS not getting a fix at all.
AGPS settings can be found in Setting\System.

Cheers,

Beasty

if you're on AT&T, then use APGS

Also. if you go into GPS settings, make sure you have "auto" as port number.

3rd November 2009, 04:05 PM |#12  
Flag Vila Real

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKTA

Hello everybody.

I just adquired Raphael from ebay and was having the same problem.
Or i did, all solutions provided are correct but for this particular problem they are not.
In short, was its the problem ?
Well, both HTC screwed up the Raphael perhaps in the rush of lauching it to the market, to achieve sales. Both WM 6.1 and 6.5 will sufer from this so there isn't a safe ROM or Radio.
The procedure to solve this is this webpage:
http://eduardoarruda.wordpress.com/2...htc-touch-pro/

Ain't advertising nothing and don't know if i can share this page like this, but i have done the procedure in my HTC Touch Pro, and it has worked, Tom Tom 7 is now working.
Try it yourself (only if your GPS stopped working).

Pro: Works pretty well, gps takes a little bit to fix on satellites ~3 sec.
Against: Hard reset only when needed, when truly needed. Or do everything again.

Basically:
1 - Update ROM to most recent and the best for you.
2 - Disable HDSPA, it seems that it causes problems in connecting to 3G network
3 - Yes, you can update QuickGPS and follow the rest of the procedure which shows the shorcuts to edit the registry and images to ilustrate that.

If its necessary i can translate it, but dunno whose credits its belong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanna say, that those editing of the registry are working for both WM6.1 and WM6.5.
Its essential that you update the QuickGPS, since without it, it wont work.

By the way, it took 12 seconds to lock on satellites. Its not the best, but its better than nothing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd November 2009, 07:58 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123talis

I have installed recomended radio, and drove by car like 30 minutes around trying to get signal from iGO, but nothing. GPS test freezes on "GPS Starting up" GPS port is on 4 and Baud rate on 4800(It is responding, so not ordinary freeze, but I mean that its just doing nothing).
There are several columns with numbers under them (or bars I sugest this is what you think) Numbers are following: 32, 24, 29, 02, 22 ,18, 04, 11 and they change (but after few minutes they are in this order, and then again some other variations) I think, that one of variations is starting with 30 and the other with number 17 HDOP is still 0,00 and FIX is 1D.

Or what should I try ? I have been using iGO GPS when I was on WM 6,5 I think already, It was PROven Rom, but I dont remember which version, so i cannot try to flash it and test it.
One more thing- GPS test has been running as I was preparing for a drive (maybe 5 minutes) on a parapet of an opened window, But it didnt catch a signal.

I have found GPS fix on HTC page, I will post some new experiences tomorow, please If you have any idea, tell me.

Copy CleanGPSData.exe to phone (attached here) and run it once. Soft reset your phone. Try QuickGPS once again. CleanGPSData will reset your GPS.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CleanGPSData.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.5 KB, 64 views)
7th November 2009, 12:02 AM |#14  
OP Junior Member

More
Hello my friends. I just want to say THANK YOU. I would like to ensure you, that you are not wasting your time, though i am not responding frequently. I am just away, and can not access forum daily. I am trying to solve my problem using all of your advices, but I am still facing it... Now I am trying that .exe file, you attached, and tommorow i am gonna test it, so wish me luck. Thank you once more, I appreciate it.
7th November 2009, 09:56 AM |#15  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123talis

Hello my friends. I just want to say THANK YOU. I would like to ensure you, that you are not wasting your time, though i am not responding frequently. I am just away, and can not access forum daily. I am trying to solve my problem using all of your advices, but I am still facing it... Now I am trying that .exe file, you attached, and tommorow i am gonna test it, so wish me luck. Thank you once more, I appreciate it.

Have you tried the fix provided by HTC itself ?
7th November 2009, 10:22 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
When I first got my Touch Pro I was very disappointed with the gps support (well I was disappointed with almost everything). After numerous tests I have a combination that proves to be almost perfect.
1. I run the latest Shep rom (but I guess the GPS functionality is not closely connected with the rom)
2. I have radio 1.14.25.35 installed
3. I have the rilphone.dll from radio version 1.12.25.19
4. I have applied the GPS fix from the official HTC site

After these 4 moves I get a gps fix from cold boot in less than 30 seconds and sometimes it is even less than that.
The only small problem I still have is that if I am doing more than a 100 km/h on a high way I get a 2-300 meter lag. This lag stays almost the same up to 160-180 km/h. In lower speeds I do not face this problem. This lag I have figured also has to do with the port speed settings and I need to do some more testing with Destinator and iGO to determine the optimum setting. Most of the times I use the gps is for navigating down town where the speeds are low and so the problem isn't visible.

Since I am mentioning radios and rilphones I have to say that this combination also gives me the best signal reception and the battery usage is also low.
13th November 2009, 06:20 PM |#17  
Flag Vila Real

More
Exclamation GPS lag
Quote:
Originally Posted by _crAss_

When I first got my Touch Pro I was very disappointed with the gps support (well I was disappointed with almost everything). After numerous tests I have a combination that proves to be almost perfect.
1. I run the latest Shep rom (but I guess the GPS functionality is not closely connected with the rom)

After these 4 moves I get a gps fix from cold boot in less than 30 seconds and sometimes it is even less than that.
The only small problem I still have is that if I am doing more than a 100 km/h on a high way I get a 2-300 meter lag. This lag stays almost the same up to 160-180 km/h. In lower speeds I do not face this problem. This lag I have figured also has to do with the port speed settings and I need to do some more testing with Destinator and iGO to determine the optimum setting. Most of the times I use the gps is for navigating down town where the speeds are low and so the problem isn't visible.

Since I am mentioning radios and rilphones I have to say that this combination also gives me the best signal reception and the battery usage is also low.

Sorry for the time passed.

But after some reading and some tests, here it goes.

_Crass_ just go to your registry and change the value of PollInterval.
Its value can be 100 or 500, tested with 500 and it takes some to update its position, but the satellite fix is fast.

The value with 100 it does the job, updates the position a little bit faster but the battery goes also a little faster, which i would say its pretty normal, since the use of GPS always require battery comsuption above normal.

The HTC fix speeds up fix (at least for me a noticed it), and unlike said in other topics, it ain't the same as GPSCleanData, since when it coldstarts it still has some data of satellites (its location are still present into the the gps program and its uploaded by the program almost instant), so it aint clean. Regarding the same program, tested it, and its slows down or even makes it impossible the fix of satellites.
Regarding to this, i had everything done without the fix, and watched the signal form satellites and then after some seconds it fixs. But then i had to hard reset, and took the chance to try new ways to speed it up. Besides all changes made, htc fix applied, as soon at it gets signal it fixes. A way lot better than before.

Regarding the procedure heres a link to that same topic in xda-developers.

U cant skip any step, or it wont fix any satellite. only "play" with the PollInterval. Change registry, SR, apply HTC GPS fix and then update QuickGPS. SR.

Tests were done with:
-> T*mT*m v7.915.9196
--> Iberia Map 835
-> G*rmin XT Mobile 5.0.0.20w
--> Portugal&Sapin 2010.20

By the way tried TT, and then shutdown (the program only), tried G*rmin. Started normal and takes the same time both. No complication encountered by changing gps program or no need for restart/SR. If u encountered a problem where by changing gps program u cant put the 2nd to work, i recommend to update your program to the latest buil. Its working fine.

Regarding times, i had a fix of 18 to 20 seconds (why so much time ?), here's why:

Well, i only had time to play wih it today, so i did tested, regarding in clean weather, i'm expecting 8~12 sec.

Another important, the PollInterval was tested by changing each value and go from one point to another and see if the GPS program manages to update position.
It was tested with both values, and each time i changed i did a SR.

Any more tries, i sugest that u show your test conditions so "we" can compare results. I also think that HTC Pro suffers form different problems regarding to its use, so therefore it may not work to someone in specific.
My Radio: 1.14.25.35
ROM: WM6.5 PTG

BR

NKTA
14th November 2009, 03:50 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
The GPS Mod Driver can fix lag and more..
14th November 2009, 04:46 PM |#19  
Flag Vila Real

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandragore

The GPS Mod Driver can fix lag and more..

I tried, and it seems not having any much difference. I use TomTom with the GPSModDriver and Garmin with the original COM Port 4, i mean, one uses that driver and the other the original.
No difference registered, but if anyone that can at this moment hard-reset its device and test Mandragore solution, he/she would be welcome.

I have been reading the the posts and noticed a lot of simularities between the registry edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach2003

Thanks for the report Mandragore, and for your support

Here is some information on the GPSID values (as I understand it, corrections welcome).

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver]

"IsEnabled"=dword:1 ; Set from External Gps\Access, Manage GPS Automatically, Must be 1 for GPS to work at all.

"MaxLogFileSize"=dword:0
"CurrentLogFile"=""
"OldLogFile"="" ; All three of these would just waste time and memory creating log files of all gps data

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers]

"InputBufferSize"=dword:0200 ; M$ allocates this to read the HTC driver
"OutputBufferSize"=dword:0200 ; Suggested size for the applications buffer size, ModDriver does not use this, but your application (mapping) may.

; A full string of gps data is 460 to 490 bytes long while fixed, CE likes things on page boundaries thus 512 bytes are optimum. Too high values just waste ram usage. As a side note, the M$ buffers allocated are probably done through a call to malloc, and malloc has a header and footer added to each call, so 512 might just waste a bit of ram, 498 might be a bit better).

"RetryWaitOnError"=dword:3 ; not sure if this ever happens

"SleepOnNoData"=dword:01f4 ; GpsModDriver reads this and uses it for napping between reads, data comes from gps at exactly 1 second, half a second allows for slight misses of the data. If we set this to 1000, it would be great, but a millisecond late, would cause an extra second delay. One could set it to a smaller value divisable into 1000 (1,10,50,100,200...), and thus reduce the delay when a string is missed, but then the overall proformance of the phone would go down.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GPSOneDevice]
"PollInterval"=dword:01f4 ; M$ GPSID driver uses this to poll the HTC driver, same explanation as above.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer]

"DriverInterface"="COM4:" ; Set from ExternalGpsPrograms, GpsMod opens this port for reading data, m$ writes to this port

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Multiplexer\ActiveDevice]
"Index"=dword:00000004 ; Your phone uses this to install the M$ driver port, set from ExternalGps/Programs at same time as DriverInterface

"Prefix"="COM" ; Required for serial port access to GPS data.

I prefer edit each one by myself, avoids installing bugging or unstable software by third parties. Besides the fact its working ... pretty good for a very unperfect device.
14th November 2009, 06:19 PM |#20  
Flag Vila Real

More
Exclamation GPS pretty fastttttttttttttttttttttttttt
Ok, first sorry for the new post. Its a question of startover.

Manage to try GPSModDriver,and here comes the twists.

Tried and there wasn't too much difference regarding the changes in registry that we have seen in this topic. So i decided to uninstall it (vcersion 1.32) to try the newst release, 1.36. Unforntunately, that driver its a pain in regarding unnistaling, this should the first issue to solve in further builds.
So i had to uninstall it manually, i erased the Mach2003 (on My device) threw File Explorer, and then GPSModSetup on /Windows, to it would it be possible to install newest build.

Its a long story yeah ?

Ok, its almost over. I tried to install version 1.36 and it wouldn't because older version still present. I dropped the idea of trying new version and went test my gps programs to see if they still worked.

Now here comes the twists.

Regarding my TT, went back to port 4 and everything is worked as before.
That's ok, 15~18 seconds ain't bad.

Now, Garmin turn. Garmin itself doesn't allow to change port that easily, and thank you for it. Tested with port 4 and the same thing, same time, whatever .... But, this was one of those days, when i feel like truly to screw something up, and whent change the port again and try something different.

Hell yeah, why not ?

So i change to GPS intermediate Driver. Not usual, actually all instructions says to change from this driver.

So the results: I have a fix on satllite with a HTC Touch Pro in ~ 2/3 seconds.

I used shake and save to take this pictures (images on this link):

Here i have GPS Garmin GPS settings working with Port 4:

Now here is the GPS intermediate Driver:

The signal strenght on start menu from Garmin:

Now there are certain things, that should be better be told.

In first, don't now why, but Mach2003 folder with two logs files are still present and being created.
Second, this was done with cloudy weather again.
Third, the signal is a little bit unstable changing a little bit, but i'm guessing is due receiving different satellite signals.

Here comes the bitch* part, it requires more time and a lot of testing. Trying the registry tweaks and see if it changes the Intermediate responses. And trying the GPSModDriver and do several tests with one and/or another together or apart and see which one its the best, for GPS fixing.
For now, i'm quite happy with Garmin. TT its loosing since i cant pick that specific driver port.

Oh i almost forgot to mention, the TT is working with integrated device well, fixing satellites and everything. But is a little slower to receive the signal and fixing than port 4. I'm keeping TT on port 4 and garmin on Intermediate driver, and still working as a charm. Lol 1~2 seconds is too fasttttttttt.

So that bit** ain't dead yet !!! If we can see why and built a cab package inserting the wright tweaks on registry, it could put Touch Pro back on the spot light.

I don't know why, but i got feeling, that if thats truly done, HTC will launch a new HotFix doing the same thing. But its just a feeling ...

Just remembered, will try use CleanGPSdata to see if my Po is stll QickGPS dependent* ...

*Hello, my name is HTC Touch Pro, and i am ashamed to say,... , i'm QuickGPS dependent. I'm trying this therapy group so i can give up this insane habit ... its killing me ...

Have no time now, but tomorrow maybe may post back something.
Didn't stop raining in portugal, floodings and etc ...

Later i will post back something.

Cheers.
19th December 2009, 01:17 AM |#21  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by _crAss_

I've tried this method with NRG's EnergyRom, same radio, same rilphone. And all that my GPSTest does is in the attached pic. It just sits there changing the satellite numbers, but never getting any green or yellow bars.
Any tips or hints?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 12 18_18 11 53_0005_111g.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	258348  
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)