[App] BTmono - v1.2 - ICS Fixes - Yum

Search This thread

bedoig

Aug 5, 2006
My first Android application! BTmono

5435929647_edda900dbd_t.jpg

Description:

Simple app to stream audio to your bluetooth mono headset.

Released as donationware, so if you like it show your appreciation :)

Requires Android 2.2 or higher. Tested on stock HTC Evo 4G ROM (2.2) and CM7 RC1.

Notes:
- Make sure your headset is connected BEFORE clicking 'On'
- To use with Skype you must enable BTmono AFTER starting a Skype call.
- To reduce static, set the 'Media Volume' slider to max and reduce the 'Bluetooth In-Call Volume' via your phone/headset.
- This version contains a workaround for a bug in Android 2.2 which causes a system crash under certain circumstances. If you are on 2.2, do NOT disable Bluetooth while the stream is running or your phone WILL reboot (sorry - tell your phone manufacturer to move to 2.2.1+). The bug has been fixed as of Android 2.2.1.

Features:
- Widget!!
- Automatically enable Bluetooth on app launch (user can still choose not to allow this). Make sure your headset is actually CONNECTED before hitting 'On.'
- In-app 'Media Volume' control. Adjust the 'Bluetooth In-Call Volume' using the physical buttons on your phone or headset.
- Ongoing Status Bar notification while the program is running.
- Skype support (if enabled after call is started)

To-do:
- Possible - map headset button to 'next track'
- Other features?

5453969861_4661aba5c7.jpg
5453969853_a214858964.jpg
5534870963_b8557f20b1.jpg
5516106510_66d421e66a.jpg

Last edited:

bedoig

Aug 5, 2006
Changelog:

v1.2
- fix crash on ICS
- fix status bar icons on Android 3.0+
- utilize new bluetooth "in-communication" mode for Android 3.0+. *Should* integrate better with VOIP apps, etc.
- automatically detect if user is on Gingerbread or greater - no need to select the Android 2.2.1+ setting in preferences. If you are on 2.2.1 you still need to select this for a cleaner shutdown when you press Off. There was no API level change between 2.2 and 2.2.1 so I can't (easily) do it for you automatically.

v1.1.1
- choose Android's color

v1.1
- Auto reconnect after phone call

v1.0
- Widget!
- Rewrite to eliminate disconnects (hopefully)
- Option for better shutdown on 2.2.1+

v0.3.1
- user prefs - Auto-On

v0.3
- small UI change - Android says hi

v0.2
- added in-app 'Media Volume' control
- added bluetooth check on startup
- added ongoing activity notification

v0.1 - initial release

Last edited:

Ceger

Nov 10, 2007
Sweet. How does music sound when going through this? Also, are you saying there is no way to alter the media vlume when this is running?

Ceger

fatapia

Apr 21, 2010

Description:

Requires Android 2.2 or higher. Tested on stock HTC Evo 4G ROM (2.2) and CM7 nightlies.

Notes:
- Turn on bluetooth and set media volume to desired level before running the app (will do this automatically in future releases if there is demand for it).
- This version contains a workaround for a bug in Android 2.2 which causes a system crash under certain circumstances. The bug has been fixed as of Android 2.2.1, so future releases will include an Android version check and alternate (better) shutdown method for 2.2.1+.

To-do:
- Check if Bluetooth is enabled at app launch (and enable it if it's not).
- Widget. Thanks pure_energy1 @ XDA for reminding me.
- possible (if requested) - disable bluetooth when you turn off streaming.
- possible (if requested) - set media volume to predefined level before enabling bluetooth stream.
- Version check and different shutdown for 2.2.1+
- Other features?

5436001995_f69d28e2e1.jpg

I've been looking for something like this, thank you!

bedoig

Aug 5, 2006
Sweet. How does music sound when going through this? Also, are you saying there is no way to alter the media vlume when this is running?

Ceger

Sound quality blows, but that's just the way it is. It's mainly just for people who have an old mono headset laying around and want to listen to podcasts, etc.

Unfortunately, there is no way to change 'Media' volume while it's running. You can adjust 'Bluetooth In-Call' volume, but if your media volume is muted you won't hear anything.

karl999999

Oct 25, 2010
please don't

Turn on bluetooth and set media volume to desired level before running the app (will do this automatically in future releases if there is demand for it).

please dont do this! applications that alter volumes are really bad. user does not know about it , and then in a quiet room later you will suddenly be balsted with some sounds, when u turn off BT.
also another app could be running at the same time, and you have no way of knowing what the user wants.

karl999999

Oct 25, 2010
As for the microphone, I hadn't really considered that. I was thinking of this as purely a means of getting audio from the phone to the BT headset. Does Skype not work with a BT headset using the standard headset profile?

i hope u can also do mic.
no skype unfortunately (on my galaxy s) does always use the phones speaker and cant use the headset :-(
so i was waiting for an app like that for a long time.

karl999999

Oct 25, 2010
another question:
why must the sound quality be bad?

just because its mono? or because of BT? i dont understand

bedoig

Aug 5, 2006
please dont do this! applications that alter volumes are really bad. user does not know about it , and then in a quiet room later you will suddenly be balsted with some sounds, when u turn off BT.
also another app could be running at the same time, and you have no way of knowing what the user wants.

Point taken. I could save the unadjusted level and restore it to that when disabling though.

i hope u can also do mic.
no skype unfortunately (on my galaxy s) does always use the phones speaker and cant use the headset :-(
so i was waiting for an app like that for a long time.

I'll look into the mic. I figured Skype would work with a headset by default.

another question:
why must the sound quality be bad?

just because its mono? or because of BT? i dont understand

The telephony/headset profile uses low quality audio. OK for calls, sucks for music. If you need high quality audio you'll need to get an A2DP headset.

karl999999

Oct 25, 2010
Point taken. I could save the unadjusted level and restore it to that when disabling though.

i hope this will be a configurable option [yes/no]
because if another program is running also (mutlitasking) then setting the level back to what it was before , may also be wrong and confuse the user.
if the user has meanwhile changed the volume in another program.

bedoig

Aug 5, 2006
Well, the easiest thing would be to just leave it how it is :)

So unless other people want the option to set media volume, I'll just leave it alone.

liljom

Mar 13, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
nice one : )

I found 2 apps like this for 5$, but it doesn't worth it because the sound quality
But now I will test it for a few days, and if I can use it with my white eares, I'll send you some money :)

Or you can just add an advertisement line to the bottom : ) And if you promote it enough, than you can get some money for your work - just think about the Angry birds, they have a lot of income from ads ;)

jetlite11

Aug 18, 2010
My BT works with music without an app...

Maybe not all BT have a media profile?

Now what would be really cool and worth while, is an app that I can choose exactly what audio goes through the BT. Just for example have my navigation directions through the BT but music through the audio port.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

KreAch3R

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 15, 2010
Great app! Why does it require froyo though? :( Isn't it supported in eclair?

beepsilver

Jan 10, 2011
I'm an unrooted Evo user with stock 2.2 ROM. I installed the program and tried it with a non-A2DP Plantronics bluetooth. I ran into problems when I received a phone call while listening to streaming music--the phone call came through, and the music went silent in the bluetooth, but the music switched back to the phone and continued to play. When the phone call was complete, the music did not resume in the bluetooth. I had to manually go back and turn off/on the BTMono app to resume.

A more significant problem is when I physically turn off the bluetooth while BTMono is streaming music for me, the phone autorestarts....it apparently did not like that action. I do not know if physically turning off the bluetooth headset while BTMono is turned on, but not streaming music would result in an autorestart.

Thanks, and please let me know if I can make adjustments on my phone or if this is an app issue that can be worked out.

Last edited:

tmknight

Mar 27, 2007
Georgia
Now what would be really cool and worth while, is an app that I can choose exactly what audio goes through the BT. Just for example have my navigation directions through the BT but music through the audio port.

Agreed, I would be interested to have a choice of "what" is sent to BT. Navigation to BT is a big boon to me a well - this is a good start!

Suggestion, some way to tell when BTmono is "on" would be great, .e.g. tray indicator or app icon changes color.

Cheers

Last edited:

bedoig

Aug 5, 2006
Good ideas everyone! Keep them coming.

I'll address everyone's specific questions/comments late on Sunday or Monday. Got a busy weekend ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Description:

Requires Android 2.2 or higher. Tested on stock HTC Evo 4G ROM (2.2) and CM7 RC1.

Notes:
    - Make sure your headset is connected BEFORE clicking 'On'
    - To use with Skype you must enable BTmono AFTER starting a Skype call.
    - To reduce static, set the 'Media Volume' slider to max and reduce the 'Bluetooth In-Call Volume' via your phone/headset.
    - This version contains a workaround for a bug in Android 2.2 which causes a system crash under certain circumstances. If you are on 2.2, do NOT disable Bluetooth while the stream is running or your phone WILL reboot (sorry - tell your phone manufacturer to move to 2.2.1+). The bug has been fixed as of Android 2.2.1.

Features:
    - Widget!!
    - Automatically enable Bluetooth on app launch (user can still choose not to allow this). Make sure your headset is actually CONNECTED before hitting 'On.'
    - In-app 'Media Volume' control. Adjust the 'Bluetooth In-Call Volume' using the physical buttons on your phone or headset.
    - Ongoing Status Bar notification while the program is running.
    - Skype support (if enabled after call is started)

To-do:
    - Possible - map headset button to 'next track'
    - Other features?

5534870963_b8557f20b1.jpg
    5516106510_66d421e66a.jpg
    Bah...took me two hours to find the source code on an old computer...can't believe I didn't have that backed up somewhere.

Fixed the crash on ICS, just a new permissions error.

My headset sounds like crap now though. It's been in the garage for 4 months, so I can't necessarily say it's the programs fault. Need to play a bit. There are better ways of doing this under Android 3.0+ anyway. Be back soon.
    One more small update today...can't help myself.

v0.3 - small UI improvements:

b8ce387d-7f5a-2264.jpg

b8ce387d-7f77-1ed4.jpg

Should be ready 'soon'

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
    What would be worth a couple of $ for me would be the ability to use Tasker actions to turn BTMono on or off. At the moment when I connect my HM1000 to my Galaxy S, Tasker can automaticall y start the SmartPlaylist in BeyondPod, and launch BTMono, but I still have to push the ON button... If I could set it ON with a Tasker action it would be perfect. I could also use it to turn it back ON after a phone call, since it seems to revert to speakers when the call ends.

I have no idea what it would mean in terms of development though...

What about automatically turning on BTMono with specified headsets?

For example, I always want to use BTMono with my "Samsung WEP340" (mono headset) but never with my "Motorola S305", since it's a stereo headset and BTMono is not needed.

Handling automatic connections is not really something I'm looking to add to BTmono, but I could add an option to run the 'On' function when the app starts. Then it could be used with Tasker without manually pressing 'On.'