Screen wont come on after Sleep

Search This thread

xguntherc

Mar 25, 2010
Viva Las Vegas!
Hey guys. Phone's been good for a long time. Ran cm6 and CM7 nightlys for a long time.. Tonight is real first big issue

WTH.. I already tried Wiping, and nandroiding.

Now booting with old builds, and new build #33 when the screen goes to sleep after initial boot. I can't get it back on no matter what. Needs a battery pull first. Odd.. I'm hoping something isn't wrong with my nexus one. It's really acting up now.. Basically the phone turns on and runs, but the minute it falls asleep it's done for. I can wake it with my Power button, but only the soft capacitive key's light up. No screen. but I can turn the screen/key's off and on with no problems with the button. Just the screen never comes on. but I can watch those softkey's do it. So the power button is working, but it could be going out. but seems to work every time.
I've officially wiped tonight. I tried a nandroid to a past build, I'm thinking I might have a hardware issue.

Any idea's. Screen wont come on after falling asleep. At all, requires a battery pull. (saw this in CM forum) guy said fix permissions fixed it. any idea's?

Reactions: PowerOfTheNexus

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
This might be happening because of the WiFi/BT connectivity bug. If you watch the logcat (or maybe it was in kmesg), you'll probably see lots of errors regarding mmc0.
On the other hand, anything that would get the CPU stuck at 100% throughtput, might do the same, and it might be some other bug.
Try to turn off WiFi and BT and do the same, see if it helps any.

xguntherc

Mar 25, 2010
Viva Las Vegas!
Neither are enabled.. Now it is doing this For sure, completely everytime. I can pull battery and boot phone. Seems to run ok, can open apps. go to market. whatever. but when I go into settings I get Activity FC and it freaks out. I just tried to power off my phone. It's been at the Shutting Down spinning circle part for over 15 minutes. Is it possible the build it 512mb went bad and thats why it can't resume from standby, and stuff?

I'm still testing things. but I've completely wiped and had no luck. and also nandroided to a good working version also. Basically if my phone goes to sleep at all. I can't turn it back on. I have to pull battery.

soylapinta

Oct 28, 2010
Its been 1 year since nobody posted, anybody came up with an explanation/solution?

This Issue just appeared in my phone after two years of use.

-When the screen goes to sleep it won't be possible to switch it on again. Either via the power button, time up or proximity sensor.
-The phone and the touchscreen work as always, haptic feedback reveals my unlock slider is still active and the phone can recieve calls and notifications.
-Plugging in the phone or using another button won't revive the screen either.
-The backlight of the screen turns on, but the screen remains black.
-Only removing the battery and waiting at least 10 seconds before putting it in again will let the screen to come back.
-Shouldn't be a software problem as i have wiped several times everything that could be wiped and instaled diffrent Roms, even tested ICS.
-In my case, removing the microSD doesn't change anything.
-Swapping batteries also doesn't help.

Anybody out there with the same problem?

Programmed obsolescense on HTC?

Jun 15, 2010
My N1 developed this issue just a few days ago- I'm looking for a solution as well. I have all of the symptoms you've described, apart from the backlight turning on as I have an AMOLED display. It's interesting to know that the backlight turns on, as it and the video signal are controlled separately (and impossible to distinguish on an AMOLED display).

I've reverted mine back to an official shipping ROM, something really ancient, and it still occurs.

Mine is also right around the 2 year mark. There are a handful of other threads on various forums which describe the same issue with the only resolution being sent in for servicing. I don't know whether it was the screen or the motherboard that was replaced, which would be very helpful to root causing the issue.

I'm not sure whether it's an issue with initializing the screen itself as it is is functional and can turn on after a battery pull/sitting for a few hours. I would guess it's something to do with a capacitor or similar, since the way to get the screen to work is a battery pull +time or to wait a long time before turning the screen back on.

It's a shame, too, because everything else is working just fine in my N1 and I think it is the perfect combination of a phone.

Theshawty

Feb 13, 2011
My N1 developed this issue just a few days ago- I'm looking for a solution as well. I have all of the symptoms you've described, apart from the backlight turning on as I have an AMOLED display. It's interesting to know that the backlight turns on, as it and the video signal are controlled separately (and impossible to distinguish on an AMOLED display).

I've reverted mine back to an official shipping ROM, something really ancient, and it still occurs.

Mine is also right around the 2 year mark. There are a handful of other threads on various forums which describe the same issue with the only resolution being sent in for servicing. I don't know whether it was the screen or the motherboard that was replaced, which would be very helpful to root causing the issue.

I'm not sure whether it's an issue with initializing the screen itself as it is is functional and can turn on after a battery pull/sitting for a few hours. I would guess it's something to do with a capacitor or similar, since the way to get the screen to work is a battery pull +time or to wait a long time before turning the screen back on.

It's a shame, too, because everything else is working just fine in my N1 and I think it is the perfect combination of a phone.

Format your SD-Card. It's known to fix it.

Jun 15, 2010
Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately it does not fix my issue.

I've tried different SD cards, repartitioned & formatted the card (previously had a sd-ext partition), and even running it without an SD card- all either won't turn the screen on during boot (starting with the battery out) or will fail to wake the screen.

My logs don't show the mmc0 errors which would indicate an issue with the card; it seems to be pretty normal for the screen turning on and off, just that the screen doesn't actually initialize and display anything.

About a week before the screen wake issue developed, I had a problem with the camera and gallery thinking that the SD card was not present. I eventually wiped and reloaded an older ROM and the problem went away.

Jun 15, 2010
I replaced the AMOLED screen and it now properly works. Since the screen was able to turn on by itself after an hour or so, I suspect it might be a capacitor or something that's gone bad on the flex cable itself. I'm not sure how much effort I'll spend tracing it down, but I might at least give it a shot.

K2e

Dec 27, 2016
Change the Screen

Had same issue with a Nexus 5. I changed the screen and it worked great.

Hey guys. Phone's been good for a long time. Ran cm6 and CM7 nightlys for a long time.. Tonight is real first big issue

Now booting with old builds, and new build #33 when the screen goes to sleep after initial boot. I can't get it back on no matter what. Needs a battery pull first. Odd.. I'm hoping something isn't wrong with my nexus one. It's really acting up now.. Basically the phone turns on and runs, but the minute it falls asleep it's done for. I can wake it with my Power button, but only the soft capacitive key's light up. No screen. but I can turn the screen/key's off and on with no problems with the button. Just the screen never comes on. but I can watch those softkey's do it. So the power button is working, but it could be going out. but seems to work every time.
I've officially wiped tonight. I tried a nandroid to a past build, I'm thinking I might have a hardware issue.

Any idea's. Screen wont come on after falling asleep. At all, requires a battery pull. (saw this in CM forum) guy said fix permissions fixed it. any idea's?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.