VZW Note 3 N900V Fully Functional on T-Mobile 4G lte (band 4)

Search This thread

wpcprez

Feb 20, 2009
Chino Hills
I also have 4G LTE on AT&T without any extra work. Not sure why all the posts here say it won't work? It didn't require any special work since verizon unlocked band4 on these devices with the newer updates.

Netwizzard221

Apr 30, 2014
HOW???

I also have 4G LTE on AT&T without any extra work. Not sure why all the posts here say it won't work? It didn't require any special work since verizon unlocked band4 on these devices with the newer updates.

I am in the same boat. I have a Verizon Note 3 and I switched to ATT. However, I do not get 4G LTE. I have changed the APN settings and I am currently using GLOBAL setting without Rooting my phone. What did you do to get the 4G LTE?

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
If you want to add additional LTE bands on your Verizon Note 3, have a look here:

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s5/general/how-to-add-rf-lte-frequency-bands-to-t2886059 (I've read a post in this thread confirming that someone got additional LTE bands to work on the Verizon Note 3)

http://xdaforums.com/android/general/3g-lte-frequency-nv-items-qualcomm-t2950491

I've done it on the Verizon Note 3 (w/ kitkat 4.4.4), Note 4, Note Edge, and S5... but I'm not sure if's working. I don't know what LTE bands are available in our area. I also need to figure out how to force the phone to connect to a specific LTE band.

Last edited:

VirusZer0

Mar 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
If you want to add additional LTE bands on your Verizon Note 3, have a look here:
http://xdaforums.com/gala...ds-to-t2886059 (I've read a post in this thread confirming that someone got additional LTE bands to work on the Verizon Note 3)

http://xdaforums.com/andr...lcomm-t2950491

I've done it on the Verizon Note 3 (w/ kitkat 4.4.4), Note 4, Note Edge, and S5... but I'm not sure if's working. I don't know what LTE bands are available in our area. I also need to figure out how to force the phone to connect to a specific LTE band.

Can you please fix the links, not working!

Thanks for the advice, can't wait to check it out!!

Chocu1a

Sep 16, 2011
Just wanted to bump this with the news the Note 3 now works on AT&T LTE. I popped my wife's Straight Talk AT&T sim in my Verizon Note 3 and was pulling a stronger LTE signal than Verizon.
8c6aa652e0762d1087f202e05e582940.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

whereistony

Jul 17, 2010
?

I was told, via the Tmobile website, that a stock lollipop Note 3 would not work on their network. Did something change since this info was posted?

Chocu1a

Sep 16, 2011
I was told, via the Tmobile website, that a stock lollipop Note 3 would not work on their network. Did something change since this info was posted?
Most csr have no idea what they are saying. Now, you won't get wifi calling on T-Mobile, but you will get data & service on their network.
Cricket said my phone would not work on their network(at&t), but it does.

kcallis

Dec 18, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Question about Straight Talk

I know this is for T-Mobile, but since I have not found anything remotely close to what I have been looking for, I thought I would try here. I have a Verizon Note 3 and thought I would try my Straight Talk SIM. I have voice of course, but no data. I used prop build to allow me to make changes to my APN, but have not found the right entries for the LTE apn. Could someone point me to where I can get the settings for getting the APN right for Straight Talk.

Thanks

alphahere

Nov 6, 2010
I know this is for T-Mobile, but since I have not found anything remotely close to what I have been looking for, I thought I would try here. I have a Verizon Note 3 and thought I would try my Straight Talk SIM. I have voice of course, but no data. I used prop build to allow me to make changes to my APN, but have not found the right entries for the LTE apn. Could someone point me to where I can get the settings for getting the APN right for Straight Talk.

Thanks

Check out the straight talk website for apn settings.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

nanosp

Mar 25, 2009
NY
OK, I'm trying to get this working on band 4 but I'm still getting the activation notification and "network not available" message every time. Anyone have a way around this? Using a metro sim and apn is properly set up

Edit: got everything working properly and set up

Last edited:

dogblood

Nov 24, 2007
OK, I'm trying to get this working on band 4 but I'm still getting the activation notification and "network not available" message every time. Anyone have a way around this? Using a metro sim and apn is properly set up

Edit: got everything working properly and set up

So would you say it's fully compatible with tmobile?

I have a note 3 verizon that I've replaced with a s6 - would love to use either the of them to replace my s4 that I use (work phone)

nanosp

Mar 25, 2009
NY
So would you say it's fully compatible with tmobile?

I have a note 3 verizon that I've replaced with a s6 - would love to use either the of them to replace my s4 that I use (work phone)

It should since MetroPCS is basically T-Mobile and it even says T-Mobile on my lock screen. I get LTE with Band 4 and for voice it drops to H+ on 1700

Attachments

• Screenshots_2015-11-15-10-42-47.jpg
    Screenshots_2015-11-15-10-42-47.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 402
  • Screenshots_2015-11-15-10-43-28.jpg
    Screenshots_2015-11-15-10-43-28.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 403

dogblood

Nov 24, 2007
Cool beans I'm gonna give this a go. I don't think I can get band 4. The note I'd on android 5.0 stock .. no way around that eh?

nanosp

Mar 25, 2009
NY
Cool beans I'm gonna give this a go. I don't think I can get band 4. The note I'd on android 5.0 stock .. no way around that eh?
I'm not sure but I think it may be enabled. You can always go to the service menu to see if it's enabled to be sure but I believe it should be on by default as it was enabled in 4.3/MJE.

dogblood

Nov 24, 2007
Yeah I can't get to service mode without root, and no root for 5.0 .. can't seem to find anyway around that to see if it is enabled.

Hollieanne

May 20, 2015
How can you root the galaxy s5 g900v?

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST.

Hi everyone,

Finally managed to do what I was trying to accomplish on my VZW Galaxy S3 for almost a year.

I'm not sure if anyone else has already accomplished this or not. If anyone has, then sorry about the duplicate post (even though I haven't found any posts specifically describing how to do it).

It took me some research to see that both t-mobile and vzw run on band 4 block f (1700mhz-f), so I thought they should both be able to tune to the same lte band. Even though I was able to get H+ from a t-mobile prepaid sim to work on the vzw note 3, I was still not completely satisfied, so I kept at it till lte finally worked too.

I do give credit to the thread about "All things service mode" which described how to enable the service mode menu and then how to turn on lte band 4.

This DOES confirm that by turning on lte band 4 under service menu, it does really turn on, no firmware update is required to enable the additional layer of the lte band.

It's almost 4 a.m. so I'll get to the details a little later, but just wanted to post this as soon as I got it working, I know it'll make lots of people happy.

I got 28 mbps down and 6 mbps up on t-mobile where I get about 8m and 2m with vzw lte, respectively.

Look at the screen shots below. I did a little research and was able to get that annoying "non-Verizon sim" warning off too, but credit for that goes to someone else here on xda, I didn't figure that out, I will just relay that here for a one stop shop on how to use a t-mobile or other GSM sims in the vzw version. I will link to that post later when I have more time. Anyway, see below and let me know of your thoughts, I will add more details later.

DIRECTIONS:

Do this at your own risk, if any anything goes wrong, don't blame me for it. Make a nandroid backup before you start. To get 4G lte to work on t-mobile, and to remove the continuous sim warning, you'll have to be rooted. Just to get 4G hspa+ to work, you don't need root, but you'll have the annoying sim reminder/warning in your notification all the time.

1. Go to settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode and change to "Global" mode. Also turn off your mobile data at this point.

2. Turn off your phone and replace your vzw sim w/ a t-mobile sim with prepaid or postpaid 4G service. Turn the phone back on. When it has finished booting up, you should have basic gsm service on t-mobile, you'll get a warning about a non-Verizon sim, don't worry about that right now, it won't hurt anything.

3. Now if you want t-mobile 4G lte and you have root, follow the thread for All things "ServiceMode" related to turn on lte band 4 through service mode. Restart the phone after enabling lte band 4.

4. Go to "mobile networks>access point names" under more settings, click the "+" on the bottom to add an apn, call it T-Mobile LTE and type "fast.t-mobile.com" without the quotes under APN. Leave everything else blank (you can add some of the other stuff later if you want to get picture messaging to work). Click the menu button and hit save. Once you're out, make sure you click on the green radial button to select the new APN you just created.

5. Now exit settings and turn on your mobile data. Give it a minute. You should get the 4G lte symbol after a little bit. You may have to restart the phone once for it to work.

If you're not in a good t-mobile 4G lte coverage area and just want the traditional hspa+ option, follow the same steps, but DO NOT enable lte band 4, and instead use "epc.tmobile.com" for apn. This way you won't need to be rooted. If you are already rooted and did enable lte B4, just switch the phone to gsm/umts mode under network mode, that will disable lte.

Now if you want to go the extra mile and remove the sim warning, get Titanium Backup from Play Store and freeze the app "Setup Wizard", the app with the "magic wand" above the red "check mark". You'll have to be rooted to do that.

If you follow similar steps, you can also get AT&T hspa+ to work, obviously with an AT&T sim and AT&T apn settings ("pta" for the apn, but AT&T has their lte on a different band, so you can't get AT&T 4G lte to work on this phone. For their hspa+, the steps are the same as for t-mobile hspa+, except for the actual apn settings.

How do you root the galaxy s5 g900v?

dragogt05

Oct 1, 2012
Bumping this, I just followed this for my N900V 5.0 works perfectly; And I'm on ATT Go Phone. Will also post my APN jic someone could use it.

I will say that band 4 was turned on but for whatever reason it would not work until I turned it off and turned it back on again.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigd187

Jun 3, 2009
San Antonio
My TMO APN Setup (San Antonio) Pics only - 100% Working

Title says it all...yes I did leave MMSC field populated for both apn's (I blame possible laziness:p) With this setup you have a dedicated APN for MMS and a dedicated APN for everything else TMO. I hope this helps... :victory::cool:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-04-27-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-04-27-1.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-05-13-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-05-13-1.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-05-22-1-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-05-22-1-1.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 230
  • Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-05-29-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-05-29-1.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 223
  • Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-04-44-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-04-44-1.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-04-54-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-04-54-1.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-05-00-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-20-19-05-00-1.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 197

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST.

Hi everyone,

Finally managed to do what I was trying to accomplish on my VZW Galaxy S3 for almost a year.

I'm not sure if anyone else has already accomplished this or not. If anyone has, then sorry about the duplicate post (even though I haven't found any posts specifically describing how to do it).

It took me some research to see that both t-mobile and vzw run on band 4 block f (1700mhz-f), so I thought they should both be able to tune to the same lte band. Even though I was able to get H+ from a t-mobile prepaid sim to work on the vzw note 3, I was still not completely satisfied, so I kept at it till lte finally worked too.

I do give credit to the thread about "All things service mode" which described how to enable the service mode menu and then how to turn on lte band 4.

This DOES confirm that by turning on lte band 4 under service menu, it does really turn on, no firmware update is required to enable the additional layer of the lte band.

It's almost 4 a.m. so I'll get to the details a little later, but just wanted to post this as soon as I got it working, I know it'll make lots of people happy.

I got 28 mbps down and 6 mbps up on t-mobile where I get about 8m and 2m with vzw lte, respectively.

Look at the screen shots below. I did a little research and was able to get that annoying "non-Verizon sim" warning off too, but credit for that goes to someone else here on xda, I didn't figure that out, I will just relay that here for a one stop shop on how to use a t-mobile or other GSM sims in the vzw version. I will link to that post later when I have more time. Anyway, see below and let me know of your thoughts, I will add more details later.

DIRECTIONS:

Do this at your own risk, if any anything goes wrong, don't blame me for it. Make a nandroid backup before you start. To get 4G lte to work on t-mobile, and to remove the continuous sim warning, you'll have to be rooted. Just to get 4G hspa+ to work, you don't need root, but you'll have the annoying sim reminder/warning in your notification all the time.

1. Go to settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode and change to "Global" mode. Also turn off your mobile data at this point.

2. Turn off your phone and replace your vzw sim w/ a t-mobile sim with prepaid or postpaid 4G service. Turn the phone back on. When it has finished booting up, you should have basic gsm service on t-mobile, you'll get a warning about a non-Verizon sim, don't worry about that right now, it won't hurt anything.

3. Now if you want t-mobile 4G lte and you have root, follow the thread for All things "ServiceMode" related to turn on lte band 4 through service mode. Restart the phone after enabling lte band 4.

4. Go to "mobile networks>access point names" under more settings, click the "+" on the bottom to add an apn, call it T-Mobile LTE and type "fast.t-mobile.com" without the quotes under APN. Leave everything else blank (you can add some of the other stuff later if you want to get picture messaging to work). Click the menu button and hit save. Once you're out, make sure you click on the green radial button to select the new APN you just created.

5. Now exit settings and turn on your mobile data. Give it a minute. You should get the 4G lte symbol after a little bit. You may have to restart the phone once for it to work.

If you're not in a good t-mobile 4G lte coverage area and just want the traditional hspa+ option, follow the same steps, but DO NOT enable lte band 4, and instead use "epc.tmobile.com" for apn. This way you won't need to be rooted. If you are already rooted and did enable lte B4, just switch the phone to gsm/umts mode under network mode, that will disable lte.

Now if you want to go the extra mile and remove the sim warning, get Titanium Backup from Play Store and freeze the app "Setup Wizard", the app with the "magic wand" above the red "check mark". You'll have to be rooted to do that.

If you follow similar steps, you can also get AT&T hspa+ to work, obviously with an AT&T sim and AT&T apn settings ("pta" for the apn, but AT&T has their lte on a different band, so you can't get AT&T 4G lte to work on this phone. For their hspa+, the steps are the same as for t-mobile hspa+, except for the actual apn settings.
    Since the device is factory unlocked for operation on GSM US carriers, of course it'll work on T-Mobile as they're transmitting LTE on Band 4.
    It's been discussed here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48760230&postcount=221 but keep in mind that Verizon Note 3 variant doesn't support T-Mobile's main 3G/Voice/HSPA+42 frequency which is AWS (2100/1700). It does support T-Mobile's secondary HSPA+21 in the PCS band, which is also where their GSM/EDGE services reside.

No hacking is necessary unless your device doesn't have Band 4 turned on (for some reason). My device came with Band 4 enabled, but it came with the latest radio as well...
    To share my experience for anyone looking to jump ship from Verizon to tmobile, I can confirm that a Verizon note 3 does work on t mobile.

My Verizon Note 3 had the following setup prior:
    • Safestrap 3.75 Installed
    • Rooted Stock-Deoxed Verizon Note 3 4.4.2 (N900VVRUCNC2)
    • Also had the NC2 Firmware/Modem

With 4.4.2 Verizon turned on band 4 so there's no need to do any allservicemode steps.

I bought a prepaid T-Mobile prepaid microsim activation kit(which I think T-Mobile is giving for free now on there website) and went with the $3/day plan just to test out T-Mobile's service in my area and places I commuted
    I simply put $10 into the account.

Now the steps I took to ensure I get service and mms was the following.

1. Put phone into airplane mode than turned the phone off. Removed Verizon Sim and put in T-Mobile Sim.

2. With the phone fully booted(still in airplane mode) I went into SETTINGS->MORE SETTINGS->MOBILE NETWORKS->NETWORK MODE --- and selected GLOBAL

3. Than still under NETWORK MODE-> ACCESS POINT NAMES --- I clicked the (+) top right corner and added the following APN Name T-Mobile US LTE ( The first two attachments show the exact settings)

4. Since I was already in the menu, I added a second APN just in case I wasn't in a band 4 LTE area, APN NAME : T-MOBILE HSPA+ (The 3rd and 4th attachment includes the APN settings.

5. I selected the APN: T-Mobile US LTE. Turned off airplane mode and turned on mobile data.

6. Rebooted my phone and voila T-Mobile service up and running found out I was in an area with band 4 LTE.

I tested the internet, calling, text messages, and MMS all working that night.

Now the next day I drove from my house to my job which is a 36 mile commute from Long Island into NYC. And can confirm that I had 5 BARS LTE SERVICE the whole commute. (While I've only had 1-3 bars on Verizon) Did a speedtest as well and Tmobiles network is definitely faster in comparison to Verizon.

Now I did run into a few areas where I didn't get LTE and it switched to EDGE (while with in GLOBAL MODE -- set in Step 2). Edge was unbearably slow so it's a nuisance but I changed global mode to GSM.

And changed the APN to T-MOBILE HSPA+ (Created in Step 4.) And was able to get HSPA+ in those few areas that didn't have LTE service.

You can changed back to LTE for areas in which you do know has it by changing back to global mode and choosing T-Mobile US LTE APN.

My experience has been good and I'm sold on switching to T-mobile permanently. But what I still want to do is get T-Mobile WIFI CALLING/Texting working on my Verizon Note 3.

I deduce by flashing a T-Mobile Rom under safestrap would enable the feature and I have read somewhere that it is possible, or possibly flashing CM ROM and getting the t mobile WiFi feature added onto that somehow but have yet to commit.

Has anyone had any experience switching over and getting T-Mobile WiFi calling to work on a Verizon Note 3? If not I'll try a few methods I think will work and post back with results.
    For those who have the Dev Edition Verizon Note 3, do you think flashing a t-mobile baseband (modem) or a modified "hybrid" modem would enable the AWS band for hspa+ 42? I'm basically asking if you think the SM-N900V version Note 3 has native support for the AWS band even though it may not be enabled for Verizon, since it must have the 1700 mhz antenna if it has lte band 4? I know lte and wcdma are different, but as far as RF goes, the ability to receive 1700 mhz is already there. That would be kinda like the original att Note that had support for AWS but had to have a t-mobile modem flashed before it was enabled. As I've heard, the DE Verizon Note 3 is very similar to the t-mobile Note 3, at least for roms and kernels.
    That is a very interesting topic especially if we consider that AWS transceiver and signal path already exists. If we look at the FCC antenna diagram for SM-N900V we can see that B4 antenna is shared with CDMA at the top left corner, which could indicate that would be B4 UMTS path as although it's not displayed since the B4 UMTS certification hasn't been requested by Verizon.

SuntG9Um.png

Left side is the B4 Rx diversity required for LTE MIMO operation, and at the right side is B4 dedicated Tx which is a nice touch.

This is what's been tested and certified for btw:

8mBUjOom.png

You could always try, but obviously be prepared for it not to work, etc... ;)
    I still do not understand why you would want to have a the VZW Note 3 (which is actually my main device) at all?

I believe its not the VZW version they/we want. Its what we have and we want kick big red to the curb and go with another carrier such as T-mobile using the equipment we already have.

:cowboy: