• More than $2.99!

Votes: 24 2.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

forceu

Jun 23, 2010
Alright, so today I tested your app and there are two things that happend to me just a few seconds after installing:

First, there is a minor bug which happens if you're through the welcome dialogue and press the back button, you go back to the dialogue instead of closing the app.

The second one, which makes the app not usable for me is that after disabling wifi the screen turns on, stays on for like 20 seconds (I guess that is the default timeout) and a few seconds after turning off it turns on again.
Ironically the taskbar says the phone is locked, but there is no lockscreen at all ;) Even if I press the End Call button this app still wakes my app all the time.
It doesn't matter if I enable/disable any of the settings, the only thing to stop it is to disable WifiUnlock via screen :p

I'm using a HTC Magic with CM6.1, root, droidwall (iptables modification), an unlock pin, Android 2.2.1, 2.6.35.9 kernel and 2.22.28.25 radio.

I hope you can find this bug, because aside from not working it does look quite good ^^

Skepper

Sep 13, 2008
I am on a Desire with Oxygen ROM, Andtoid 2.3.3 and i cannot get it to work it seems like my exchange policy is still overriding it even though the app notification says that the phone is unlocked... I use a PIN code btw.

getabetterpic

Mar 4, 2011
Kennesaw
I'm using a Motorola Atrix, I am synced to an Exchange server that requires a pin, and also have the fingerprint unlock enabled (so I can unlock with pin or finger scan). Whenever I lock the phone, it stays locked until I fingerscan or enter my pin. I've tried both using the finger scanner and entering the pin, but I can't get it to stay unlocked.

skflinch

Sep 18, 2010
Louisville
HTC Desire/Inspire 4g

I have a HTC inspire 4g and it works really good I like the concept. I don't know if this is or is not supposed to happen but when I lock my screen it just goes to a black lock screen like normal but when I unlock it it does not have the slide down to unlock thing. Other than that it works real well

Ben74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 18, 2006
Nice idea, probably good app, but I can achieve all this and much much more with Tasker. Much more complex, indeed, and that is probably where your app comes into play - simple and easy.

But still, i prefer Tasker ;)

yeah, you can sort of do the same thing with tasker, but it doesn't lock your phone quickly after you disconnect from wifi. that's because it doesn't catch wifi events directly. instead, it checks on the wifi every 5 minutes (or whatever you have it set to), so your phone could remain unlocked for up to 5 minutes after you leave home - not ideal. also, tasker is relatively expensive for a phone app, and it almost takes a CS degree to use it :). this app was intended to be a cheaper, simpler, better alternative.

Ben74

Oct 18, 2006
good concept. it does what it says...prevents your phone from locking.

but on my phone (Incredible, CM7), it's kind of annoying because you can still press the volume buttons or trackball (if setup) to wake the phone. what sucks about that is you can inadvertently turn your ringer off, or wake the screen if your fumbling around with your phone your pocket or something.

again, app works as it said it would, and does it great. just not what im looking for.

i want to just disable the passcode, not the screen lock feature.

yes, it would be nice to disable the password instead of the keyguard, but google disabled that API in android 2.1. bummer.

i will look into disabling the volume buttons while the phone is unlocked and the screen is off.

Ben74

Oct 18, 2006
i have CM7 and it works fine ... (i can disable track ball wake ) but doesn't leaving the wifi on when your home increase battery drain :D ? food for thought

yes, the battery drain will be slightly higher with the wifi on, but when you're at home, you're presumably not far from a charger. IMO, it's a small price to pay for the convenience of not having to enter your password, but it's your own decision to make.

Ben74

Oct 18, 2006
Just installed it on a DHD. Seems to be working so far. Thanks!

Update: Not working. my phone still locks. My phone is locked by the company exchange account password.

ah yes, i expected that. should have mentioned it. the app probably won't work if your phone has a password policy set by your employer.

oldman_58

Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Florida
I loaded this on an Incredible with SR3.5, it works there is an issue:

If I leave home the lock in the task bar shows lock but will not let the screen sleep, I had to turn off the service to get the screen to sleep.

Did I miss something in setup?

This will be an excellent tool if that issue can be resolved.

-========-
I just downloaded Send Log, I will try again later and send the log...

Last edited:

calcpereira

Sep 28, 2009
Belo Horizonte
Milestone A853

Housed in a Milestone A853 and ShadowModBR (code.google.com/p/shadowmodbr/) ROM 2.2.1, which works great so far. Thanks for a great APP... xP

Ben74

Oct 18, 2006
Hey you improved my idea...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=982872
your application is very similar to mine (VERY), but some things improved I recognize it... anyhow if somebody wants to be sure of what is running inside I'm providing also the source code licensed as GPL3

I hope you don't copy-pasted portions of it or you should be licensing as GPL3 also...

hi khroma. i did see your app on the android market, but i didn't know you made a new one for 2.2+. it's cool that yours can disable the lock pattern by using the secure settings, but you have to install it in /system/app. my app is aimed more at the average joe who doesn't have a rooted phone, or doesn't want to install an app in /system/app. i'm sure our apps can peacefully coexist :). don't worry, i didn't copy any of your code. i hadn't seen your github repo until now.

Ben74

Oct 18, 2006
A question about GPS enabling. I'm a Tasker user; I've installed a GingerBread (2.3.3) ROM in my HTC Magic and now Tasker shows me a message explaining that's not possible to enable/disable GPS without user interaction in GingerBread due to Google changes in Android code. So, will be possible to make such actions with this app?
Thanks!

that's a good question. it's quite possible that google disabled the ability to turn the GPS on/off. i'll have to install a GB rom on my captivate to test it. let me know if it works for you...

Ben74

Oct 18, 2006
Alright, so today I tested your app and there are two things that happend to me just a few seconds after installing:

First, there is a minor bug which happens if you're through the welcome dialogue and press the back button, you go back to the dialogue instead of closing the app.

The second one, which makes the app not usable for me is that after disabling wifi the screen turns on, stays on for like 20 seconds (I guess that is the default timeout) and a few seconds after turning off it turns on again.
Ironically the taskbar says the phone is locked, but there is no lockscreen at all ;) Even if I press the End Call button this app still wakes my app all the time.
It doesn't matter if I enable/disable any of the settings, the only thing to stop it is to disable WifiUnlock via screen :p

I'm using a HTC Magic with CM6.1, root, droidwall (iptables modification), an unlock pin, Android 2.2.1, 2.6.35.9 kernel and 2.22.28.25 radio.

I hope you can find this bug, because aside from not working it does look quite good ^^

hi forceu. that is strange behavior indeed. that sounds like what happens on my captivate when there is no lock pattern/pin/password set. do you have the lock delay feature turned on? if so, can you try without it?

also, can you please press the Bug Report menu button in the app and send me the log? that would be very helpful. thanks.

dagnus

Dec 1, 2009
Just installed 10 mins ago. LOVE the settings options as well as the ability to turn off notifications as i pretty much know when im home :p the only addition i would love to see is the wifi ON when home (but wouldnt that require gps?) either way, this app is fantastic. no longer do i have to enter my damn pattern when im sitting in my bed and the screen locks :D EPIC work!

*Edit* im on an HTC Inspire with cm7 #32.

AlexNC75

Jun 30, 2010
Works great! I have been looking for an app like this for a long time. Especially since I use a HTC Incredible. It runs Sense which has a very annoying second lockscreen, making for a tedious double unlock process when using a pattern lock. Your app bypasses both perfectly. Keep up the good work!

Verizon HTC Incredible
rooted: unREVOked
default ROM and Kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Unlock With WiFi has been reborn as SkipLock!

Unlock With WiFi is now available on the Android Market! Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Get it on the Android Market

What does the app do?

Unlock with WiFi unlocks your device when you're connected to your home WiFi network. What does "unlock" mean? It means you don't have to enter your password/pattern/PIN when you turn on your phone. When you're at home, or work, you don't need to worry about losing your phone, so why should you have to enter your password?

How does it work?

When you get home (or to work, whatever), and connect to your WiFi network, your device will unlock. Then when you leave, and the WiFi disconnects, the device will lock again.

You have to enter your password the first time after you connect to your WiFi network. This is so that if someone steals or finds your phone, they can't just bring it to your house to unlock it. After you enter your password once while connected to your WiFi network, you won't have to enter it again until you leave/disconnect.

What else does it do?

You can also set a lock delay, for when you're not at home. The default delay is set to 5 seconds, so when you turn the screen off, the device won't lock until 5 seconds have passed. That way, if you remember something you forgot to do, you can turn it back on without entering your password.

There are also options to:
    • Turn off WiFi when you leave home
    • Turn on Bluetooth when you leave home
    • Turn off Bluetooth when you get home
    • Turn on Sync when you get home
    • Turn off Sync when you leave home

If you have any problems with the app, please post on this thread, or PM me. Also, the app has a built in feature for reporting bugs. It will send me the system log file via email. You need to install SendLog in order for this to work, but please do so because the log file is extremely helpful to me for troubleshooting.

Please read the FAQ before posting a question or reporting a problem.

I hope you like the app, and look forward to hearing your feedback!

Known limitations:

See the FAQ for known limitations.

Versions:

There are two versions: free and full. The free version only allows you to configure one wifi network as a home network, and the extra options are disabled. Note that the free version no longer shows ads! If you like it, please buy the full version. The full version allows an unlimited number of home networks, and all the options are enabled. You can get the full version on the Android Market.

Changelog

I will no longer be maintaining the changelog here. See my website for release notes.

Cheers,
    Ben
    Yeah, it's coming along. The new UI is pretty much done, and the original functionality is close to being done. I'm mostly writing unit tests now. Can't promise anything but hopefully I'll have a beta ready in about a week.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    ok, i have finally have a new version for you all! this is version 2.4, and it includes ICS compatibility, but not unlock with bluetooth yet. bluetooth still needs some testing, but it's coming soon.

if you're on ICS, you'll find that the setup wizard prompts you to enter your phone's password, in order to enable device admin mode, which is the only mode that works properly in ICS.

note that after you have setup UWW, and you have connected to a home wifi network, you can go into the security settings and choose whether you want to have to slide to unlock. you can ONLY choose this while connected to a home wifi and the phone is unlocked. if you want no slide, choose None under Screen Lock. however, using slide to unlock will prevent the volume buttons from turning the screen on (a known problem).

there were a lot of changes in ICS that i had to account for, so if you find bugs, please post them here. i'm sure there will be a few. i'll fix them as soon as possible. thanks.

you can get the new, fully featured, paid version for free from getjar:
    http://www.getjar.com/unlockwithwifi.

i'll release 2.4 on the android market once i feel most of the bugs are worked out.
    I’m proud to announce the release of Unlock With WiFi 2.0! This is a major update that adds some often requested features. The biggest new feature is Device Admin mode. DA mode uses a different method of unlocking the phone. Why use a different method? Well, here are some of DA mode’s advantages:

• Preserves the slide-to-unlock screen – If the power button gets pressed when it’s in your pocket, the slide-to-unlock screen prevents random screen presses from launching apps or calling someone.
    • Blocks the volume and other buttons from turning on the screen – With the original unlocking method, the volume buttons could turn on the screen, which could waste battery if you’re accidentally hitting them in your pocket.
    • Solves a problem some devices have with the screen turning itself on when lock delay is enabled – Hopefully more people will be able to use lock delay without problems.

DA mode does have one disadvantage: It only works if you use a password or PIN to unlock your phone. Pattern locks are not compatible with DA mode. This is a limitation of Android itself, not UWW. Sorry, there’s nothing I can do about this.

In addition to DA mode, version 2.0 includes these new features:

• Turn on Bluetooth when you leave home – Maybe you use a headset in the car, or you car has a bluetooth hands-free unit.
    • Turn off Bluetooth when you get home – Saves battery power
    • Turn off Auto Sync when you leave home – Saves battery and reduces your cellular data usage. This is especially useful if you’re on a limited data plan.
    • Turn on Auto Sync when you get home – Once you’re on WiFi, you don’t have to worry about data usage.

I hope you enjoy the new version. If you find a bug, please be patient and email me about it. I will fix it right away. Don’t go leaving negative comments just because of one little bug. If you work with me, it will be solved!

Edit: See the OP for the free version APK

This text is from my blog post:
    http://benhirashima.com/posts/unlock-with-wifi-2-0-is-out/
    this is PERFECT.
    thank you so much.
    i'll report any bugs in a sec.