[MOD][5.0.2/4.4.x] SMS and WiFi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G (2012)

Search This thread

martusc

Mar 24, 2012
I have used your KRT16S version with success and also one for the 4.3 version.

But, the KOT49H version won't work. After flashing, I got 2 issues. 1stly, the homescreen was half black and half filled with my normal theme. Everything else was in place. 2ndly, when I tick the Hotspot Tether Button, it returns "error". I tried to flash 3 times, once I got a normal Homescreen. For some of those, I have wiped cache and Dalvik.

Any ideas?

SMS and WiFi Tethering on Nexus 7 3G (2012)

This mod can be flashed via TWRP or CWM recoveries on odexed and deodexed stock based ROM's and will enable SMS and Tethering options in Settings. By default SMS will appear in Hangouts as per the Nexus 5.

Revert is only for stock odexed users. Should you need to restore a deodexed ROM simply reflash it.

View attachment 2404640

Downloads

KOT49H SMS WiFi Tether
KOT49H Revert to stock

KRT16S SMS WiFi Tether
KRT16S Revert to stock

Notes

If you want pure WiFi tethering and no SMS then use @xtoudi's mod, found here;

[MOD][4.4][KRT16S/KRT16O] Tethering/Wifi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G

For USB tethering, you will need a kernel with RNDIS included, @kloon15 has compiled a stock one here.

2013 Nexus 7 version of the mod is here

Thanks

@fisha21 for putting up with my constant ranting about Google removing SMS and helping out.

rezath17

Dec 20, 2013
SMS and WiFi Tethering on Nexus 7 3G (2012)

This mod can be flashed via TWRP or CWM recoveries on odexed and deodexed stock based ROM's and will enable SMS and Tethering options in Settings. By default SMS will appear in Hangouts as per the Nexus 5.

Revert is only for stock odexed users. Should you need to restore a deodexed ROM simply reflash it.

View attachment 2404640

Downloads

KOT49H SMS WiFi Tether
KOT49H Revert to stock

KRT16S SMS WiFi Tether
KRT16S Revert to stock

Notes

If you want pure WiFi tethering and no SMS then use @xtoudi's mod, found here;

[MOD][4.4][KRT16S/KRT16O] Tethering/Wifi Hotspot for the Nexus 7 3G

For USB tethering, you will need a kernel with RNDIS included, @kloon15 has compiled a stock one here.

2013 Nexus 7 version of the mod is here

Thanks

@fisha21 for putting up with my constant ranting about Google removing SMS and helping out.

can i flash this on CM11? or its just for stock rom?

keneth_c

Feb 16, 2013
Dubai

But, the KOT49H version won't work. After flashing, I got 2 issues. 1stly, the homescreen was half black and half filled with my normal theme. Everything else was in place. 2ndly, when I tick the Hotspot Tether Button, it returns "error". I tried to flash 3 times, once I got a normal Homescreen. For some of those, I have wiped cache and Dalvik.

Any ideas?

They all worked for me while on KK 4.4 (KRT16S) and KK 4.4.2 (KOT49H) on my tilapia. Hmmm...

--
Sent from my Samsung S3 (GT-i9300) using Tapatalk

martusc

Mar 24, 2012
They all worked for me while on KK 4.4 (KRT16S) and KK 4.4.2 (KOT49H) on my tilapia. Hmmm...

--
Sent from my Samsung S3 (GT-i9300) using Tapatalk

I re-downloaded and flashed again.No more funny screens and sms still works fine for sending and receiving.

However, hotspot tethering still produces an error message. Also, it breaks WiFi. Only way to enable WiFi after the error is to restart. I use Vodacom and MTN in South Africa on GSM. But, as I said, the KRT16S version worked .

I'll start checking others out.

Gdebure

Feb 11, 2011
I installed the mod and had no issues, I can enable wifi thethering, and can connect my laptop to the hotspot. However, no data seems to go to the laptop. Example :

Code:
ping google.com
PING google.com (173.194.70.113) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- google.com ping statistics ---
14 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 13007ms

I tried with another SIM card, coming from a Nexus 4 where tethering works flawlessly, same result.

Does anyone know where this could come from ?

ameeruladhry

Jun 1, 2012

Any ideas?

Same here! Maybe KOT49H build doesn't allow the WiFi driver to broadcast wifi tethering.. I did flashed both Guysadam's and xToudi's zips and non of them works

fishwithlungs

Dec 10, 2013

Any ideas?

Try what I have done,post #77

Reactions: martusc

martusc

Mar 24, 2012
Try what I have done,post #77
Thank you, but I thought I did that, but might have stopped when I saw that the Guy Adams version also had the same values/script as per xtoudi's way.

However, decided to flash cm 11 for the new year and want to give it a try for a few days. If I change my mind, I'll try your way.

Snilmerg

Jan 2, 2014
Hi GuyAdams, Hi all,

Originally I noticed the absence of tethering. Why would Google disable this on 3G tablet where this is clearly a feature of interest... but ok, I could live with this.

Then they killed the SMS feature ! Seriously ! This is not up to the OS of the device to prevent you from you from using your device ! This kind of restriction is up to the mobile operator. This is juste non-sense ! Why do they do that !?

Google is starting to act in way that is hurting the users. Not good.

Anyway, your mod works perfectly for me, on Nexus 7 2012 3G KOT49H, resuming those two features.

I was curious about the process that allowed you to generated this image. I am a developper and am interested in being able to create such mods. Can you, or anybody, give me hints or pointers to documentations on how to do that ?

Thanks for your contribution !

fishwithlungs

Dec 10, 2013
dialer.apk

You can extract the factory images using 7zip or WinRAR.

The dialer works, just needs dialer.apk from a factory image pushing to system :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hi all,
after extacting system.img there are several apks related to telephony :confused:
TelephonyProvider.apk
TeleService.apk
Phonesky.apk
and of course their .odex versions.
Which one to push to system to get the dialer shown?
Thanks!

Last edited:

voytas_79

Dec 5, 2013
TK CK
i need send SMS

Please tell me what should i do to be able sens SMS grom my n7 2012 3G. everything was cool when the stock was 4.3, now on 4.4.2 KOT49H ITS sucks!! i dnt wanna flash any rom. i just wanna knw when developera change it!!. i dont buy model 3G just for fun!! Sometimes i do little payments by sms (in game), and now i cant!!! Error Device: cant unread sim card!! lol did they wanna know all about us?? even my bank acc number?? or maby what i buy in past?? i think they know many more things, but i wish to stop. Anyway, maby you can track me to aplication with ill be able to sens SMS!! thanks. and sorry f my benglish, i knw its weak. ;)

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Infinite boot on cyanfox reflash rom immediately

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 con Tapatalk 4

Doesn't anyone read the instructions before flashing? This mod is only for stock Android. It contains modified files directly from stock. If you flash it on non-stock it will not match at all.

If you are using an AOSP ROM you should be asking the developer to enable SMS & tethering.

GuyAdams

Jun 23, 2007
Nottinghamshire
I was curious about the process that allowed you to generated this image. I am a developper and am interested in being able to create such mods. Can you, or anybody, give me hints or pointers to documentations on how to do that ?

Thanks for your contribution !

I would suggest you start with VTS, it's a program that will help you lots. Make sure you read the tutorials on the VTS site, they will take 30 mins but will help you also.

Good luck.

Hi all,
after extacting system.img there are several apks related to telephony :confused:
TelephonyProvider.apk
TeleService.apk
Phonesky.apk
and of course their .odex versions.
Which one to push to system to get the dialer shown?
Thanks!

Phonesky :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ynamojn

Jan 6, 2011
Is this the only solution?

I am sorry if I post in the wrong thread or has been discussed before. Besides flashing a modified ROM, is there no other solution for sending SMS from Nexus 7 3G (2012)? I am a bit confused here since from several sources like :
http://www.doubleencore.com/2013/11/kitkat-sms-mms-supports/
http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2013/10/getting-your-sms-apps-ready-for-kitkat.html
the ability to send SMS for non default app is available using SmsManager class. Although is limited to SMS only.

So does it mean, Google has removed all SMS related APIs from Nexus 7 framework in Kitkat? My understanding is that although you can't set the default SMS app in Nexus 7, as long as all classes are still intact, any SMS app can send an SMS using SmsManager.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts