[GUIDE] How to remove "data traffic" icon (notification)

Search This thread

Karlson2k

Sep 1, 2005
Moscow
X10 with GB stock ROM got new feature: "Data Traffic" notification (icon).
With some localizations this notification is appeared only when cell data is disabled and can be cleared, with some other localizations this notification is displayed whenever cell data is enabled or disabled and can't be cleared.

You need your phone to be rooted if you want to modify "Data Traffic" behaviour.
You can activate/deactivate this notification for enabled and disabled data traffic and switch on/off ability to clear this notification.

All settings are in /system/etc/customization/settings/com/android/phone/custom_settings.xml file.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<settings version="1">
   <setting key="data-connection-except-mms-can-clear-icon" runtime="false">true</setting>
   <setting key="data-connection-except-mms-show-icon-when-enabled" runtime="false">false</setting>
   <setting key="data-connection-except-mms-show-icon-when-disabled" runtime="false">true</setting>
</settings>
Settings are self-explanatory.

Some localized ROM don't have phone/ directory or custom_settings.xml file. If you don't have this file, then you Xperia will defaults to quoted settings. In that case you can just create /system/etc/customization/settings/com/android/phone/ directory and put attached xml in it.

You can use attached xRecovery patch to completely disable all "Data Traffic" icons with any stock 2.3.3 ROM. (thanks to audacious from 4pda.ru for assembling this patch)

Moreover this patch should works with any Xperia. (x10, x8, x10 mini/pro, Arc, Arc S, Neo, Ray...)
Tested on X10 (stock, Wolf's ROMs), Neo (stock).
;) You could press | THANKS | if it works for you and you like it.:)

Attachments

• custom_settings.xml.zip
    322 bytes · Views: 1,231
  • xRecovery_disable_traffic_icon.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,104
Last edited:

Hzu

Nov 13, 2010
how can i remove it if im using wolf's rom?

Care to read the post carefully next time? Wolf's ROM is based on the STOCK ROM. So yeah, you can do it this way.

@OP, I owe you my thanks. I wanted the search the forums for this, but fortunately, this thread is sitting on top of the forums (saved my time).

WildMoves

Jan 17, 2011
You are welcome! :)

If someone could check this on other Xperias - post results here, please!

Tested on my Xperia Neo, and it's working. Thanks :)

Although I should clarify that there were some unrelated settings on the file... So instead of replacing it, I just inserted the missing settings into the existing one.

Last edited:

Karlson2k

Sep 1, 2005
Moscow
Tested on my Xperia Neo, and it's working. Thanks :)

Although I should clarify that there were some unrelated settings on the file... So instead of replacing it, I just inserted the missing settings into the existing one.
Just checked latest X10, Neo and Arc ROM and found full default settings on it.

Full default settings for X10 (build-in SemcPhone.apk) are here:
Code:
<settings version="1">
    <setting key="data-connection-show-popup-when-enabling-data" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="data-connection-except-mms-can-clear-icon" runtime="false">true</setting>
    <setting key="data-connection-except-mms-show-icon-when-enabled" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="data-connection-except-mms-show-icon-when-disabled" runtime="false">true</setting>
    <setting key="preferred-network-mode-visibility" runtime="false">true</setting>
    <setting key="prefer-2g-visibility" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="use-3g-only" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="show-voicemail-notification-text" runtime="false">true</setting>
    <setting key="national_data_roaming_visibility" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="national_data_roaming_setting" runtime="false">0</setting>
    <setting key="national_data_roaming_warning_enabled" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="carrier-sel-visibility" runtime="false">true</setting>
    <setting key="docomo-supplementary-service-setting-text" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="docomo-roaming-voicemail-number" runtime="false">+819031014170</setting>
    <setting key="disable-sim-network-pin-dialog" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="add-emergency-call-to-call-log" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="show-setting-for-dual-mic-noise-suppression" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="hac-visibility" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="tty-visibility" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="end-held-call-at-3rd-incoming-call" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="disable-emergency-call-auto-retry-when-sim-locked" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="call-failed-raw-cause-code" runtime="false">false</setting>
</settings>

Full default settings for Arc (build-in SemcPhone.apk) :
Code:
<settings version="1">
    <setting key="data-connection-show-popup-when-enabling-data" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="preferred-network-mode-visibility" runtime="false">true</setting>
    <setting key="prefer-2g-visibility" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="use-3g-only" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="national_data_roaming_visibility" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="national_data_roaming_setting" runtime="false">0</setting>
    <setting key="national_data_roaming_warning_enabled" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="carrier-sel-visibility" runtime="false">true</setting>
    <setting key="docomo-supplementary-service-setting-text" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="docomo-roaming-voicemail-number" runtime="false">+819031014170</setting>
    <setting key="disable-sim-network-pin-dialog" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="add-emergency-call-to-call-log" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="show-setting-for-dual-mic-noise-suppression" runtime="false">true</setting>
    <setting key="hac-visibility" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="tty-visibility" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="end-held-call-at-3rd-incoming-call" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="disable-emergency-call-auto-retry-when-sim-locked" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="call-failed-raw-cause-code" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="merge-calls-button-visible" runtime="false">true</setting>
    <setting key="dual-mic-noise-suppression-enabled" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="switch-to-manual-search-mode-when-selecting-network" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="disable-ef-csp-bit" runtime="false">false</setting>
    <setting key="skt-ask-at-power-on" runtime="false">false</setting>
</settings>

If any stock customized setting are missing in /system/etc/customization/settings/com/android/phone/custom_settings.xml then default value will be used.

Customized settings for Neo and Arc:
Code:
<settings version="402">
   <setting key="dual-mic-noise-suppression-enabled" runtime="true">true</setting>
</settings>

So you can safely use xRecovery patch from first post on Neo or Arc/Arc S, but you'll need to manually switch "dual-mic-noise-suppression" in GUI after patch.

Last edited:

Karlson2k

Sep 1, 2005
Moscow
Important setting for power saving: "<setting key="prefer-2g-visibility" runtime="false">true</setting>".
Allow you to switch on/off preference for 2G network.
As I understood if you set in GUI "WCDMA (preferred)/GSM" and "Use only 2G networks" than in reality 2G network will be used if available and 3G network will be used only if 2G isn't available.
It's better than "GSM only" because you'll not lose connection if only 3G network is available.

In a few words: you can use both 2G and 3G networks and save battery in the same time (but with lower data speeds).

Reactions: taboo5200

X-Navigator

Jan 4, 2009
Works for Stock ICS 4.0.4

Tested and works!
I have a limited data plan, so it's more useful a notification of data ENABLED, than original, boring, data switched off notify on every boot...
Thanks a lot for this and the other settings!

cyberangel22k

Jan 20, 2012
Cauayan CIty
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
can someone help me doing this in stock froyo? I can't cleat the data switch too... tried this method but did not work... I tried to find the code in other locations and was able to find the icons inside phone.apk. tried to put the code inside it but i don't have any idea about coding so nothing happened too... could anyone please give me a little help here?

Screen shot from my help thread here

jucachaves

Apr 13, 2011
I am trying to disable a voicemail notification on my Xperia Neo. I have tried everything, I mean even decompiling SemcPhone.apk and messing with smali settings, without sucess.

Do you know a setting to completely disable voicemail notification?

This setting only works with the text on the notification and not the notification itself:

Reactions: marcjuh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    X10 with GB stock ROM got new feature: "Data Traffic" notification (icon).
    With some localizations this notification is appeared only when cell data is disabled and can be cleared, with some other localizations this notification is displayed whenever cell data is enabled or disabled and can't be cleared.

You need your phone to be rooted if you want to modify "Data Traffic" behaviour.
    You can activate/deactivate this notification for enabled and disabled data traffic and switch on/off ability to clear this notification.

All settings are in /system/etc/customization/settings/com/android/phone/custom_settings.xml file.
    Code:
    <settings version="1">
    </settings>
    Settings are self-explanatory.

Some localized ROM don't have phone/ directory or custom_settings.xml file. If you don't have this file, then you Xperia will defaults to quoted settings. In that case you can just create /system/etc/customization/settings/com/android/phone/ directory and put attached xml in it.

You can use attached xRecovery patch to completely disable all "Data Traffic" icons with any stock 2.3.3 ROM. (thanks to audacious from 4pda.ru for assembling this patch)

Moreover this patch should works with any Xperia. (x10, x8, x10 mini/pro, Arc, Arc S, Neo, Ray...)
    Tested on X10 (stock, Wolf's ROMs), Neo (stock).
    ;) You could press | THANKS | if it works for you and you like it.:)
    thanks mate. working well with Thjap rom v11
    Actually this should work with any ROM based on stock. Or, to be exact, on any ROM that uses SemcPhone.apk.
    Important setting for power saving: "<setting key="prefer-2g-visibility" runtime="false">true</setting>".
    Allow you to switch on/off preference for 2G network.
    As I understood if you set in GUI "WCDMA (preferred)/GSM" and "Use only 2G networks" than in reality 2G network will be used if available and 3G network will be used only if 2G isn't available.
    It's better than "GSM only" because you'll not lose connection if only 3G network is available.

In a few words: you can use both 2G and 3G networks and save battery in the same time (but with lower data speeds).
    I am trying to disable a voicemail notification on my Xperia Neo. I have tried everything, I mean even decompiling SemcPhone.apk and messing with smali settings, without sucess.

Do you know a setting to completely disable voicemail notification?

This setting only works with the text on the notification and not the notification itself: