[GUIDE] How To Root The Sprint CDMA Hero (Windows)

Search This thread

Kykiskly

Jan 7, 2009
New York City
HTC Screen wont changed.

Hi guys,

I was able to go trough the list and got it to the recovery reboot.

However when it reboots, it stays on the HTC black screen forever, any ideas?

How long should i wait?

theresthatguy

Retired Forum Mod
Nov 9, 2009
as good as this guide is....NO STICKY YET!!!! Yo mods, can we get with the program here!?!?!

If you think this guide should be a sticky please send a kind pm to a mod.

On a separate note if anyone's interested, I will be uploading a video to YouTube of the rooting process. Not really good at video editing, so maybe some would wanna help me with that or recommend a good program. Regardless check the 1st post in a few days for the link.

Linuxgenius

Nov 29, 2007
I keep getting error device not found am i doing something wrong i installed the SDK and have everything installed ill try rebooting

Lessthantito

Aug 2, 2009
Jacksonville
Great guide I used this and some info from the Unlockr and root access was acquired within 10 min or so, I forgot that I was waiting on an important call so I had to stop at root, will I have to redo all the steps for root once I am ready to install a custom rom?

theresthatguy

Retired Forum Mod
Nov 9, 2009
Great guide I used this and some info from the Unlockr and root access was acquired within 10 min or so, I forgot that I was waiting on an important call so I had to stop at root, will I have to redo all the steps for root once I am ready to install a custom rom?

No, just make sure to do a nandroid backup after you finish rooting before you apply a new Rom.

Also I would like to know what info from unlockr was helpful so I can potentially make this guide better.

PS: video editing is taking longer than expected. Video tut should be up by Tuesday. Sorry for the delay.

Last edited:

Lessthantito

Aug 2, 2009
Jacksonville
renaming the Android SDK to just AndroidSDK on my c: drive made it a little easier also instead of using the SDK for drivers I downloaded HTC sync. I figured out the Nandroid backup and so far everything seems to be going good I am not going to flash a rom yet as I am not sure of which one would be the best I really only want my Hero to be faster and to get rid of the lame Sprint Apps that always start up for no reason

Last edited:

theresthatguy

Retired Forum Mod
Nov 9, 2009
renaming the Android SDK to just AndroidSDK on my c: drive made it a little easier also instead of using the SDK for drivers I downloaded HTC sync. I figured out the Nandroid backup and so far everything seems to be going good I am not going to flash a rom yet as I am not sure of which one would be the best I really only want my Hero to be faster and to get rid of the lame Sprint Apps that always start up for no reason

Thank you for your feedback. I am beginning to believe that installing HTC sync is a better way to get drivers working properly; good to hear its probably true.

theresthatguy

Retired Forum Mod
Nov 9, 2009
Well I updated the guide to look nicer and reworded/change a few things around--cleaned it up. Also I've finally uploaded my video which I posted a link to in the 1st post. Enjoy.

Also, any feedback about something you found that wasn't in the guide that helped you would be useful for me to know so I could possibly incorporate it.

bcellis

Nov 27, 2009
I was looking for the same thing and after doing a bit of reading I went with Fresh ROM. It definitely speeds things up and removes just about all the default Sprint apps (and the guy even provided an installer to put any back that you might want).

Lessthantito

Aug 2, 2009
Jacksonville
I will have to try that out since this is easier than I assumed to restore from a backup and to gain root access I just don't want to deal with a bunch of problems like FC and Market not working or anything

theresthatguy

Retired Forum Mod
Nov 9, 2009
I was looking for the same thing and after doing a bit of reading I went with Fresh ROM. It definitely speeds things up and removes just about all the default Sprint apps (and the guy even provided an installer to put any back that you might want).

Yeah when I wrote the guide modaco was the only Rom. I've since then removed that section.

I will have to try that out since this is easier than I assumed to restore from a backup and to gain root access I just don't want to deal with a bunch of problems like FC and Market not working or anything

I've never had any problems.

Lessthantito

Aug 2, 2009
Jacksonville
I have a question I was reading another thread and it talks about using the Sprint RUU to flash back to the stock image and then doing a Nandroid backup, why would you flash back to the stock rom and then backup and lose all of your settings and apps that you have downloaded? I can see doing this if you had to return the phone or something like that

Last edited:

Esclav0

Nov 28, 2009
I tried this several times with problems. I could not reboot in recovery as the HTC logo would remain no matter how long I held the buttons. After trying a few times and reverting back to stock I also started looking at other forums. They all had steps 16 and 17 switched. I tried this switch and it worked. I could reboot and create the back up. Unfortunately, I'm still learning and I'm not sure if it really worked. I could not figure out how to get into the phone itself to remove stock apps. I looked through all the guides I could find with no luck. I am not sure about terminal access and what that means. I tried going through the command prompt with no luck. At the end of the day I am wondering whether I even rooted my phone as I am running the most current firmware on my phone. The guide does not specify if this works for the most current firmware.

theresthatguy

Retired Forum Mod
Nov 9, 2009
I tried this several times with problems. I could not reboot in recovery as the HTC logo would remain no matter how long I held the buttons. After trying a few times and reverting back to stock I also started looking at other forums. They all had steps 16 and 17 switched. I tried this switch and it worked. I could reboot and create the back up. Unfortunately, I'm still learning and I'm not sure if it really worked. I could not figure out how to get into the phone itself to remove stock apps. I looked through all the guides I could find with no luck. I am not sure about terminal access and what that means. I tried going through the command prompt with no luck. At the end of the day I am wondering whether I even rooted my phone as I am running the most current firmware on my phone. The guide does not specify if this works for the most current firmware.

Seems to me you should try the search function to find most your answers. As for the whether your phone is rooted or not, it says in my guide when you achieve root.
As far as rooting with the update, I believe is a valid concern I could have addressed, but I thought this sweet thread covered that. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=587981&highlight=root+update

Esclav0

Nov 28, 2009
Ain't no thang

I realized I was rooted most likely but like I said at the end of the day I'm still learning. :eek:

After having successfully going through your guide I really was stuck as to what to do next... And still am. So I reverted my phone back to stock for the 4th time seeing that rooting it at this point is..pointless for me. So I will keep searching and trying to figure this out.

Believe me I have been searching the forums since I got my phone just trying to absorb all the info. Its allot!

Thanks for the guide though. by far the easiest to understand of all the ones I looked at.

theresthatguy

Retired Forum Mod
Nov 9, 2009
I realized I was rooted most likely but like I said at the end of the day I'm still learning. :eek:

After having successfully going through your guide I really was stuck as to what to do next... And still am. So I reverted my phone back to stock for the 4th time seeing that rooting it at this point is..pointless for me. So I will keep searching and trying to figure this out.

Believe me I have been searching the forums since I got my phone just trying to absorb all the info. Its allot!

Thanks for the guide though. by far the easiest to understand of all the ones I looked at.

Reasons to root: WiFi tethering, apps on sd card, custom roms, customs themes, improved performance, overclocking hopefully soon, backups, removing bloatware like Twitter app or stocks or Sprint apps,etc.

Last edited: