Use only 2G networks.

Search This thread

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007
I have a problem with setting android to only use 2G networks. I can tick an option under settings "Use only 2G networks" but after i leave the settings menu it gets "unticked" again threfore i,m constantly on 3G which wouldn't be a problem but in the areas where there is no 3G signal android loses signal and wont connect to 2G network. I can turn off 3G under winmo tof orce android to only use 2G networks but it takes time. My question is can anyone successfully setup their android to use only 2G networks?

wassermam

Jul 8, 2009
Same Problem

I´m having the same problem and for me it´s worse because it drain my battery really fast (don´t last more than 4 hours).

Could somebody please fix it as soon as possible because this way is really difficult to use android as main OS.

When I put a Sim Card that doesn´t have 3g I don´t have this battery problem.

I hope somebody could help me with this problem.

odz

Feb 13, 2007
could someone please look into this? 3G kills my tilt realy fast too. this is the only thing stoping my from using android as my main os.

kallt_kaffe

Mar 13, 2010
www.apedroid.com
could someone please look into this? 3G kills my tilt realy fast too. this is the only thing stoping my from using android as my main os.

Try this:

$ su
# rwsystem
# nano system/build.prop
Find the part that says something about default_network=0. Try changing it to 1. Save with dpad-center+x, then y and enter.
# rosystem
Restart your phone to have it take effect. I'm currently trying out the value 3 which is "use GSM or WCDMA, whichever provides the strongest signal" and it seems to work better for me. Before I often had switched to Roaming after calls and somethings loosing connection completely, but I have only tested it for a short time so I'm not 100% sure if it helped or not.

Next release will include scripts to change this and some other things easily.

Oh, and the value 1 is supposed to be "GSM only" so it might help.

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007
Try this:

$ su
# rwsystem
# nano system/build.prop
Find the part that says something about default_network=0. Try changing it to 1. Save with dpad-center+x, then y and enter.
# rosystem
Restart your phone to have it take effect. I'm currently trying out the value 3 which is "use GSM or WCDMA, whichever provides the strongest signal" and it seems to work better for me. Before I often had switched to Roaming after calls and somethings loosing connection completely, but I have only tested it for a short time so I'm not 100% sure if it helped or not.

Next release will include scripts to change this and some other things easily.

Oh, and the value 1 is supposed to be "GSM only" so it might help.

Kalt, should we change this "ro.telephony.default-network=0"? to "1"
If so, it didn't work for me . I'm still on 3G.

Takiyon

Aug 22, 2006
Easton
Google Pixel 4 XL
HELP!!!

I have tried everything here and still no 2G. I love android but battery life sucks. There has to be a way to force 2G all the time. 3G is great but if batterylife will suffer so badly I want to turn it off perminently. Does anyone know how to do this? I'm using VaniljEclair RLS7c and I have been messing with the scrips in the update and still nothing after reeboot.

Millence

Oct 2, 2009
Beograd
I have tried everything here and still no 2G. I love android but battery life sucks. There has to be a way to force 2G all the time. 3G is great but if batterylife will suffer so badly I want to turn it off perminently. Does anyone know how to do this? I'm using VaniljEclair RLS7c and I have been messing with the scrips in the update and still nothing after reeboot.

I have tried everything too with almost all builds (1.6 2.1 and 2.2). My opinion is that ro.telephony.default-network command do not work on Kaiser. If ro.telephony.default-network is removed from build.prop nothing happens. Maybe TelephonyPprovider.apk is something to do with 2G 3G switching.

Neotype33

Jan 28, 2010
I agree,

Would be great to be able to force certain networks. If you look at the power usage/ per network the faster the network the more power it consumes. I'd like to be able to by default use the low speed and switch it to fast when I'm really using the phone. My EVO has a 4G widget switch. If it didn't the phone would be worthless to me as 4G in my area is not great. 2hrs 4G on (with no 4g network) = -40% battery... Love to do the same for 3G as that would save "about" 20% more battery life alone. I might get a whole day of use without charging... :D

pro_hvtc

Jun 27, 2010
I have a problem with setting android to only use 2G networks. I can tick an option under settings "Use only 2G networks" but after i leave the settings menu it gets "unticked" again threfore i,m constantly on 3G which wouldn't be a problem but in the areas where there is no 3G signal android loses signal and wont connect to 2G network. I can turn off 3G under winmo tof orce android to only use 2G networks but it takes time. My question is can anyone successfully setup their android to use only 2G networks?

Very simple. You use file follow. You install it,only mark or unmark for 3G or 2G. I'm from Vietnamese. I speak E not very well. I'm sr if you don't undertand

Attachments

• apndroid_2.0_r13.apk
    62.9 KB · Views: 117

-Arturo-

Oct 7, 2007
Very simple. You use file follow. You install it,only mark or unmark for 3G or 2G. I'm from Vietnamese. I speak E not very well. I'm sr if you don't undertand

As far as i know apndroid disables both 2g/3g connections and we only need to block system from using 3g connections leaving 2g still connectable.

milanche

Jul 11, 2007
Bled
I've bin going thru htcgeneric-ril.c (source of libhtcgeneric-ril.so), provided in another topic and noticed this lines:

Code:
switch (rat)
	{
		case 0: at_rat = "1,2"; break;/* Dual Mode - WCDMA preferred*/
		case 1: at_rat = "0"; break;  /* GSM only */
		case 2: at_rat = "2"; break;  /* WCDMA only */
	}

Could there be a solution lurking in those lines to ongoing 2G/3G switching problem on Kaiser devices with Android?

zenity

Dec 23, 2008
Scotland
Those look like the settings from the phone information screen in testing, it's certainly the right area to be looking in.

Question: who's gonna be brave enough to hack htcgeneric-ril.c and recompile that lib? ;)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found this thread while looking into some radio-related hangs on my TP2. I've merged most of your fixes into the Xdandroid tree, and also fixed a number of memory leaks along the way. You might want to look over some of my fixes as well.

http://gitorious.org/~hyc/xdandroid/hycs-hardware_xdandroid-ril

Thank you. Cross-pollination is a good thing. Kallt_kaffe hasn't been around the Kaiser forums for a while, but there are still a few developers hanging around.

I have learned a thing or two from xdandroid in the past. It has been a while since I looked, though, or tried running it on my Tilt2. I will look at the RIL and see what can be merged back into the version we have been using.

Question: Have any Kaiser/Polaris/Vogue developers been doing RIL work recently, or should I consider DZO's Fresh Froyo / AOSP Gingerbread respository to contain the latest and greatest to be merged xdandroid?