Remove All Ads from XDA

CDN-FastServer streams are not working on firestick with mx player

6,706 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,549

By TheFixItMan, Senior Member on 30th May 2018, 04:20 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Any chance of getting cdn-FastServer streams to work in mx player
They work fine in vlc & yesplayer

When playing a video from a cdn-FastServer on my phone mx player can play it but on the firestick it just eventually comes up with unable to play video

However vlc player (and others such as yes player) can play the stream on the firestick without issue

See below post for logs/error report

3rd June 2018, 04:03 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
Any reason why mx player won't play videos from cdn-FastServer
They play perfectly fine with vlc
4th June 2018, 05:11 AM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,107

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFixItMan

Any chance of getting cdn-FastServer streams to work in mx player
They work fine in vlc & yesplayer

Could you please explain the issues in detail? It will be great if you can collect a bug report from MX Player help menu immediately after the issue.

NB: Kindly post the issues in a separate thread. Otherwise, It will be very difficult to track us.
4th June 2018, 10:56 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirumalai.K

Could you please explain the issues in detail? It will be great if you can collect a bug report from MX Player help menu immediately after the issue.

NB: Kindly post the issues in a separate thread. Otherwise, It will be very difficult to track us.

Here are the error logs (in attachment)

If I play a video that is hosted on a cdn-FastServer on my phone in mx player it plays fine but on my firestick the buffer circle just spins and eventually says cannot play this video

However if I open the same video stream in vlc on my firestick it plays fine meaning its not a firestick limitation but a problem with mx player playing these streams on a firestick
Attached Files
File Type: zip report_2018-06-04_104859.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.9 KB, 20 views)
5th June 2018, 07:38 AM |#5  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

Here are the error logs (in attachment)

If I play a video that is hosted on a cdn-FastServer on my phone in mx player it plays fine but on my firestick the buffer circle just spins and eventually says cannot play this video

However if I open the same video stream in vlc on my firestick it plays fine meaning its not a firestick limitation but a problem with mx player playing these streams on a firestick

It's strange. According to the logs, HW Decoder which is based on the android mediaplayer API implementation in your firmware has failed to play with unknown error. And FFMpeg has returned with 404 (File not found). Both are completely independent. Need to check whether there is something that is intercepting or blocking the connection of MX Player.
5th June 2018, 09:44 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
Quote:

It's strange. According to the logs, HW Decoder which is based on the android mediaplayer API implementation in your firmware has failed to play with unknown error. And FFMpeg has returned with 404 (File not found). Both are completely independent. Need to check whether there is something that is intercepting or blocking the connection of MX Player.

Any suggestions because like I said - the video plays fine in other players so it's not my Internet connection or anything on the firestick blocking it

MX player can play all other streams except from cdn-FastServer on the firestick
MX player can play cdn-FastServer streams on my phone

So there's something that mx player does differently on the firestick compared to my phone
The firestick is android 5 and my phone is android 7 both using the custom codec
So unless there are missing codecs that are native to android 7 & not 5 or just missing from the firestick I don't know what the difference is
5th June 2018, 11:13 AM |#7  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

Any suggestions because like I said - the video plays fine in other players so it's not my Internet connection or anything on the firestick blocking it

MX player can play all other streams except from cdn-FastServer on the firestick
MX player can play cdn-FastServer streams on my phone

So there's something that mx player does differently on the firestick compared to my phone
The firestick is android 5 and my phone is android 7 both using the custom codec
So unless there are missing codecs that are native to android 7 & not 5 or just missing from the firestick I don't know what the difference is

are your Mobile and Firestick on the same network?
can you change the MX Player user agent (Check general Settings) to something like your mobile & check again?

FFmpeg should work as long as you are using the right version for your CPU architecture. If your CPU architecture is different, MX Player itself will show the error.

The logs from FFmpeg was clear that it has received 404. But, we couldn't reproduce it any of our devices. We have even directly tried FFmpeg command line version on desktops. It also works. Even if it's an FFmpeg fault, It will affect only HW+ & SW decoders. HW decoder is independent. As we said earlier, it's just a wrapper of android mediaplayer API implementation on your device. So, MX Player does not have many controls. But, It is also having the issues.

It is the clear indication that there is something that is preventing MX from connecting to the CDN. If it possible, can you use any debugging proxies & check the connection logs of yours firestick? In our tests, it receives 302 (Moved Temporarily along with the new URL) and then it connects to redirected URL properly.

If You clearly receives 404, then there might be some server configuration which might be preventing you from connecting to the server.
5th June 2018, 12:55 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
Quote:

are your Mobile and Firestick on the same network?
can you change the MX Player user agent (Check general Settings) to something like your mobile & check again?

FFmpeg should work as long as you are using the right version for your CPU architecture. If your CPU architecture is different, MX Player itself will show the error.

The logs from FFmpeg was clear that it has received 404. But, we couldn't reproduce it any of our devices. We have even directly tried FFmpeg command line version on desktops. It also works. Even if it's an FFmpeg fault, It will affect only HW+ & SW decoders. HW decoder is independent. As we said earlier, it's just a wrapper of android mediaplayer API implementation on your device. So, MX Player does not have many controls. But, It is also having the issues.

It is the clear indication that there is something that is preventing MX from connecting to the CDN. If it possible, can you use any debugging proxies & check the connection logs of yours firestick? In our tests, it receives 302 (Moved Temporarily along with the new URL) and then it connects to redirected URL properly.

If You clearly receives 404, then there might be some server configuration which might be preventing you from connecting to the server.

Both firestick & phone are on same network
Both have exactly same settings in mx player
Both are arm v7 neon

It doesn't explain why other players can play the cdn link on the firestick but mx player can't
Surely if something was blocking the link it would block it across all players unless it was an app specific block & I have set up no such block of apps either individually or globally
Equally if there was a server configuration block I don't see why they would block mx player connecting & not other players on a firestick especially as it works on a phone

I don't know if this would help but Iv attached the log of vlc whilst playing the stream on the firestick
Attached Files
File Type: log vlc_logcat_20180605_125212.log - [Click for QR Code] (205.3 KB, 2 views)
5th June 2018, 01:06 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

Both firestick & phone are on same network
Both have exactly same settings in mx player
Both are arm v7 neon

It doesn't explain why other players can play the cdn link on the firestick but mx player can't
Surely if something was blocking the link it would block it across all players unless it was an app specific block & I have set up no such block of apps either individually or globally
Equally if there was a server configuration block I don't see why they would block mx player connecting & not other players on a firestick especially as it works on a phone

I don't know if this would help but Iv attached the log of vlc whilst playing the stream on the firestick

There are plenty of ways, a server could block a particular device or app.

Have you tried after changing the User Agent on MX Player to something like in your mobile or something generic like MXPlayer/1.9.24 ?

Unlike others, MX Player generates a unique user agent for every device model based on its build properties. If the CDN's redirect conditions block the particular UA string, then it could happen. As it works everywhere except Firestick, it could be a possible reason.
5th June 2018, 01:18 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
Quote:

There are plenty of ways, a server could block a particular device or app.

Have you tried after changing the User Agent on MX Player to something like in your mobile or something generic like MXPlayer/1.9.24 ?

Unlike others, MX Player generates a unique user agent for every device model based on its build properties. If the CDN's redirect conditions block the particular UA string, then it could happen. As it works everywhere except Firestick, it could be a possible reason.

Yes Iv changed it & it made no difference
Apart from the Android version & the build name they both use mozilla 5.0
I changed it to the generic string but it made no difference

Guess I'll just to use vlc for these streams
5th June 2018, 01:41 PM |#11  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:

Yes Iv changed it & it made no difference
Apart from the Android version & the build name they both use mozilla 5.0
I changed it to the generic string but it made no difference

Guess I'll just to use vlc for these streams

Can you collect the network data using a debugging proxy? It will help us to understand better.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)