Worse battery life with KK

Search This thread

Arthur Hucksake

Mar 8, 2010
Nottingham
Worst fears realised.

The Kit Kat update has delivered drastically worse battery life.

Could often work with 10% per 45 min - 1 hr screen time before on WIFI, that has now gone out of the window.

1 hr 44 min screen time with 68% left now.

That is quite a bit worse I would say.

Anyone else feel the same?

I would rollback, but the camera improvements are just so much better.

RevokOne

Dec 24, 2013
Worst fears realised.

The Kit Kat update has delivered drastically worse battery life.

Could often work with 10% per 45 min - 1 hr screen time before on WIFI, that has now gone out of the window.

1 hr 44 min screen time with 68% left now.

That is quite a bit worse I would say.

Anyone else feel the same?

I would rollback, but the camera improvements are just so much better.

I had about 5 hr screen time and almost 2 days of usage. I am using stamina and greenify though since I don't need emails and notifications pushed, I just manually refresh it.

ghtop

Oct 25, 2013
Nope, I just managed 7.5 hours OST on my last charge on WiFi without Stamina Mode, so quite a bit better for me than JB where 5/6 was more usual. Standby power is also noticeably better, averaging ~0.4%/h.

Sadly the KitKat changes make most battery stat apps useless without root now, or I'd suggest you run one to see what's up on your end.

Last edited:

Arthur Hucksake

Mar 8, 2010
Nottingham
Nope, I just managed 7.5 hours OST on my last charge on WiFi without Stamina Mode, so quite a bit better for me than JB where 5/6 was more usual. Standby power is also noticeably better, averaging ~0.4%/h.

Sadly the KitKat changes make most battery stat apps useless without root now, or I'd suggest you run one to see what's up on your end.

Cant find anything that stands out. Going to drain and do a charge from fresh.

aigaming

Oct 29, 2011
Belgrade
There is no real calibration in android and for everybody pls alow 3-4 full charges before reporting your battery life on kitkat(same when flashing new kernel) ;)

ghtop

Oct 25, 2013
same here.
Done full drain but no change. moreover the phone gets heated quickly..

This is obviously a sign of some rogue process running intensively (compare performance after booting in safe mode to confirm). You should be able to figure out pretty easily which it is from the basic battery stats page, sadly no partial wakeleock listings anymore on non-rooted phones though.

getvaisakh

Nov 27, 2012
Kerala
This is obviously a sign of some rogue process running intensively
I didn't installed any apps as I bought phone day before yesterday :D Then the possibility is bug in Sony's new firmware.

compare performance after booting in safe mode to confirm
How to boot into safe mode?? :( sorry I am new here and this is my first android ph :p )

I have done factory reset>>installed 4.4.2 via PC companion>>full factory reset incl internal storage.. heating problem is somewhat solved.
But it gets heated up when connected to charger..which on JB doesn't happened!! strange..

Draining seems to be normal but takes too much time to charge..

adichandra

May 3, 2012
I got a great battery life on kitkat. uploadfromtaptalk1395852386773.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395852401564.jpg

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Arthur Hucksake

Mar 8, 2010
Nottingham
Glad to report that after a reboot and couple of charges I am back to where I was. The slow opening camera issue I had has also gone away.

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app