Google Android running on the hermes

Search This thread

szlevi

Aug 22, 2006
New York, NY
dude...
It's not a simple matter or using the right version of this or that, or configuring it a certain way.
Haret will never run on the Hermes, making it impossible to ever run Android.
Hermes hardware is too old and too slow to run Andriod.
Haret can't even access the sd-card. Even if some how, some one re coded haret with the proper driver (which will not happen), there are still 100 other hurdles to over-come. They would have to get the graphics acceleration working with the ATI chip, Wifi drivers, Bluetooth drivers, etc... not to mention the actual instructions set of Andriod won't even run on the processor in the Hermes.

It will never run on the Hermes.
If you want to run Andriod, you should buy a device that supports it. Hermes will never be one of them.

Amazing how ****in clueless yet so self-confident you are... :cool::D

szlevi

Aug 22, 2006
New York, NY
Hermes uses ARM920T SoC with ARMv4 instruction set, so a standard Android root image will not work.
That's the reason why it will be very evil thing to make it ever run on the hermes platfrom.

Someone has to fix all parts of the source code that requires V5 instructions and do a complete compile of all binaries suitable for V4 command set.

Of course to do all this a nearly complete linux subset is needed too.
As already mentioned the kernel for hermes is far away from some kind of usability :p.

Bingo... :)

Charlie.M

Mar 31, 2005
The Android Source Code is out now

Clearly no one had much success getting it to boot on the Hermes. The problem is as another poster pointed out. Our beloved phones support an older version of the ARM instruction set than the Adroid SDK emulator and so the image for the emulator image won't boot on our hardware.

However since the source code is out we should be able to build a new set of images for our older CPUs. It still doesn't solve device driver issues but it may take use closers to a working device.

I am going to read up on how to do that now. But at least in theory its now possible.

rapboy23

Sep 24, 2007
android kernel problem

I m downloaded android in my hermes.im trying haret.exe jumping kernel .later nothing.where s problem?help me

Xedilos

Mar 31, 2008
A little thing called persistence.....

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=496692

I think you guys should take a look at this post.
I make referenceto it bc the Gene 3400 is older than hermes and they made it work on it. It's not 100% ofc but it's still a very good work and a demonstration of persistence.
If you guys want it... it will happen.

Cheers ;)

brandenk

Aug 11, 2007
San Diego
Hey guys I just wanted to let you guys know about the website alldroid.org.

Its a new website I am helping to build with the focus being on Android and our focus is to create the ideal home for Android developers to work. I used to have an 8525 that I was trying to get Android running on and finally gave up and made the jump to get the G1. Although now I am glad I made the jump I now realize how flexible this OS in and I know we dont have a lot for you guys but we are hoping to grow with the community and your feedback is welcome.

nurkamol

Feb 9, 2008
Uzbekistan/Fergana
twitter.com
Hey guys I just wanted to let you guys know about the website alldroid.org.

Its a new website I am helping to build with the focus being on Android and our focus is to create the ideal home for Android developers to work. I used to have an 8525 that I was trying to get Android running on and finally gave up and made the jump to get the G1. Although now I am glad I made the jump I now realize how flexible this OS in and I know we dont have a lot for you guys but we are hoping to grow with the community and your feedback is welcome.

wow broth. this is GREAT News for US.

thanx ^_^

uhs74

Aug 14, 2010
stable android on 8525 cingular

Hello

I m not sure if there is any final stable release of Android custom rom for htc 8525
I have this old phone and thinking if i can make it at good with android.