Windows 8

330 posts
Thanks Meter: 46

By Midnitte, Senior Member on 14th September 2011, 04:38 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th September 2011, 03:30 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Forget Windows 8 on the Nook Color, it would be too slow anyway. What we need are

1) New Market fixed for CM7!

2) Ice Cream! Since Honeycomb is not going to go to AOSP this side of he-ell.

Homer
15th September 2011, 10:47 AM |#12  
San Diego
Thanks Meter: 136

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_S_xda

Forget Windows 8 on the Nook Color, it would be too slow anyway. What we need are

1) New Market fixed for CM7!

2) Ice Cream! Since Honeycomb is not going to go to AOSP this side of he-ell.

Homer

You hit the nail on the head. Even if we got it on the nook, windows tablet version will be hundreds of megabytes in size just for the rom. IF it did run, highly unlikely considering it will need a whole new set of video, sound and touchscreen driver modifications...the software size alone would choke up the nook. Speed would just not be usable for real world applications.
20th September 2011, 03:13 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Why? To run MS Office on Nook Color natively? If yes, then we may all to upgrade our SSD to 64G or more. The existing Developer Preview Edition Bare System eats 10G storage space, not counting additional storage to keep all installed drivers or program libraries.
20th September 2011, 04:12 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 244

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickleung

Why? To run MS Office on Nook Color natively? If yes, then we may all to upgrade our SSD to 64G or more. The existing Developer Preview Edition Bare System eats 10G storage space, not counting additional storage to keep all installed drivers or program libraries.

The ARM version is not included in the dev preview and will most likely be much smaller. That being said I still doubt Windows 8 would be a good experience.

Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk
20th September 2011, 04:53 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by koopakid08

The ARM version is not included in the dev preview and will most likely be much smaller. That being said I still doubt Windows 8 would be a good experience.

Yes. totally agree with you. But very doubt if existing Win32 applications could be transform to ARM version natively? Or Nokia are going to launch any new toys for Windows mobile soon?
20th September 2011, 06:17 AM |#16  
Capitola CA
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Windows 8 for ARM was demoed back in June for Qualcomm's Snapdragon 3 MSM8060 dev tablet, you can have a look in my blog, the post abound Windows 8 on HP Touchpad. It's not flawless, but not a slouch either. Windows 8 in June was certainly less optimized for ARM than now, that's for sure.
However, as I see it, in 2012 some streamlined/trimmed version of Windows Phone 8 might be available for OMAP3xxx devices (about 5 mln of them, NC included). I wouldn't put much faith in hardware rendering on NC before Jelly Beans, so we'll see.
22nd September 2011, 08:01 PM |#17  
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 196

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickleung

very doubt if existing Win32 applications could be transform to ARM version natively

I believe Microsoft issued a statement to that effect.
24th September 2011, 09:00 AM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Angry
I'm running Windows 8 on my nook right now inside a xen hypervisor... It performs okay but sometimes lags when I'm trying to do 3D modeling with Maya. I'd love to share my ROM with you but I don't condone piracy and won't want to violate any NDAs
24th September 2011, 12:40 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrfalcon

I'm running Windows 8 on my nook right now inside a xen hypervisor... It performs okay but sometimes lags when I'm trying to do 3D modeling with Maya. I'd love to share my ROM with you but I don't condone piracy and won't want to violate any NDAs

At least you could post some screenshots?
Something like windows experience index screen etc..

Sent from my MB502 using XDA App
24th September 2011, 12:59 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:

hi gyrfalcon, can you pm me, I really wish to run windows 8 on nook. Please guide me on how to install it.
24th September 2011, 04:29 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 244

More
Quote:

Its not piracy if it's a free dev preview...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)