FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

**What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

14,560 posts
Thanks Meter: 7,271
 
By KidCarter93, Retired Forum Moderator on 21st August 2012, 11:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th November 2012, 05:23 AM |#1121  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfsr98

I don't know how the prices work in your country :/ But are you on england? If so, you can get the Nexus 7 really cheap.

Yup, England. Cheapest i could find the Nexus 7 was £160, other places £180. Sadly this is too much as my friend is only looking to spend £100 so i don't know what to recommend to him, just need to know sooner rather than later as deliveries for Christmas are going to be backed up!
 
 
30th November 2012, 11:57 AM |#1122  
Senior Member
New Braunfels
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
I think there you can get the lenovo A2107A-H. that is the model that networks both 3G and WIFI. Still early, but there is a good bit of devel going on for it.
have not seen the 3G model USA-side
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpletriangle

Yup, England. Cheapest i could find the Nexus 7 was £160, other places £180. Sadly this is too much as my friend is only looking to spend £100 so i don't know what to recommend to him, just need to know sooner rather than later as deliveries for Christmas are going to be backed up!

1st December 2012, 09:58 AM |#1123  
H4CK_H0PP3R's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 43
 
More
I am thinking to buy Nexus 4..buts heard there are most problems found so bit confused whether to buy or not ? Can anyone suggest me? my frnds sister coming from US to india within month so have to order before she leaves US..should i wait for newer devices or buy this one ??????? price factor is most imp for me as my budgest is ony $350 thats why i am thinking for nexus 4 only but lots of complaing also so bit confussed..as i am time buyer for longer time.
1st December 2012, 10:38 AM |#1124  
m1l4droid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tehran
Thanks Meter: 1,062
 
More
I wanted to buy a new phone, as my Nexus S is getting rather old, but I'm not sure what to buy.

I want a powerful phone that runs jellybean smoother and faster than my nexus s, I want at least 1 GB of RAM, camera doesn't matter, screen size should be no smaller than 4 inches and no larger than 5. I like Galaxy Nexus, or Nexus 4, but they both lack an expandable storage. The expandable storage wouldn't matter if they at least had 32 GBs internal. This was my main problem with the nexus s also, and I had to lower the bitrate of most of my music to be able to fit them on 16 GB memory. As a result, I've turned my attention to Sony xperia s, but, it's a Sony, and Sony isn't well-known for good support. Galaxy S II was great, but it's rather old as well, and well, the support for it will end soon. Galaxy S III is good... But it's expensive and I don't like touch wiz. One X is also expensive and I don't want sense. Generally, I don't like manufacturer skins and strongly prefer stock Android. Also another important factor is that I'd rather that the phone get official cyanogenmod support, siii and one x got those but... Well, they don't get updates at the same time with the nexuses. I'm not expecting them to, I'm just saying it's a negative point of not being a nexus.

Also, before you say why don't I get a nexus and use cloud storage, I should say, 1. I can't because of slow connection, 2. I hate cloud storage.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

Swiped from my Nexus S on CM10 stable powered by Marmite kernel
1st December 2012, 12:29 PM |#1125  
Dhiraj's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 343
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1l4droid

I wanted to buy a new phone, as my Nexus S is getting rather old, but I'm not sure what to buy.

I want a powerful phone that runs jellybean smoother and faster than my nexus s, I want at least 1 GB of RAM, camera doesn't matter, screen size should be no smaller than 4 inches and no larger than 5. I like Galaxy Nexus, or Nexus 4, but they both lack an expandable storage. The expandable storage wouldn't matter if they at least had 32 GBs internal. This was my main problem with the nexus s also, and I had to lower the bitrate of most of my music to be able to fit them on 16 GB memory. As a result, I've turned my attention to Sony xperia s, but, it's a Sony, and Sony isn't well-known for good support. Galaxy S II was great, but it's rather old as well, and well, the support for it will end soon. Galaxy S III is good... But it's expensive and I don't like touch wiz. One X is also expensive and I don't want sense. Generally, I don't like manufacturer skins and strongly prefer stock Android. Also another important factor is that I'd rather that the phone get official cyanogenmod support, siii and one x got those but... Well, they don't get updates at the same time with the nexuses. I'm not expecting them to, I'm just saying it's a negative point of not being a nexus.

Also, before you say why don't I get a nexus and use cloud storage, I should say, 1. I can't because of slow connection, 2. I hate cloud storage.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

Swiped from my Nexus S on CM10 stable powered by Marmite kernel



Sent from my Micromax A87 using Tapatalk 2

What is your budget ?
1st December 2012, 12:46 PM |#1126  
m1l4droid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tehran
Thanks Meter: 1,062
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by idhbar

Sent from my Micromax A87 using Tapatalk 2

What is your budget ?

It doesn't matter. I might be getting a respectable amount of money on the future. Also phones are generally more expensive here so I'll just have to adapt.

Swiped from my Nexus S on CM10 stable powered by Marmite kernel
1st December 2012, 01:39 PM |#1127  
Felimenta97's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ribeirão Preto
Thanks Meter: 2,328
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1l4droid

I wanted to buy a new phone, as my Nexus S is getting rather old, but I'm not sure what to buy.

I want a powerful phone that runs jellybean smoother and faster than my nexus s, I want at least 1 GB of RAM, camera doesn't matter, screen size should be no smaller than 4 inches and no larger than 5. I like Galaxy Nexus, or Nexus 4, but they both lack an expandable storage. The expandable storage wouldn't matter if they at least had 32 GBs internal. This was my main problem with the nexus s also, and I had to lower the bitrate of most of my music to be able to fit them on 16 GB memory. As a result, I've turned my attention to Sony xperia s, but, it's a Sony, and Sony isn't well-known for good support. Galaxy S II was great, but it's rather old as well, and well, the support for it will end soon. Galaxy S III is good... But it's expensive and I don't like touch wiz. One X is also expensive and I don't want sense. Generally, I don't like manufacturer skins and strongly prefer stock Android. Also another important factor is that I'd rather that the phone get official cyanogenmod support, siii and one x got those but... Well, they don't get updates at the same time with the nexuses. I'm not expecting them to, I'm just saying it's a negative point of not being a nexus.

Also, before you say why don't I get a nexus and use cloud storage, I should say, 1. I can't because of slow connection, 2. I hate cloud storage.

I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks.

Swiped from my Nexus S on CM10 stable powered by Marmite kernel

Sorry, but Sony isn't known for offering a good support? They are the most dev friendly OEM of the major ones. (This applies only to Brasil, but you can have an idea: they are the only company I can find info on their site, and answer any question you have. It is almost impossible to have an answer from Samsung).

The JB is indeed late, but it's due a huge change that is happening internally, which will help bringing updates much more faster. Also rumours their skin will be revamped next year, with a look much closer to Vanilla.

About support for custom ROMS: We have an entire team bringing CM10 and Cm9, another team for AOKP ICS and JB, and another, smaller, but still great team bringing Paranoid, P.A.C. And Dark Passion for it. Let's not forget a few great devs working on stock based ROMS. The number of devs isn't exactly huge, but it is great.

The XDA forums for it are one of the most organized ones, and there aren't many stupid noobs.

"What really matters in this world, anyway?"
The Following User Says Thank You to Felimenta97 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Felimenta97 Ad-Free
1st December 2012, 02:58 PM |#1128  
m1l4droid's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Tehran
Thanks Meter: 1,062
 
More
Honestly, I kinda like Sony skin. It's more minimalistic compared to touchwiz and sense. But I still prefer stock Android. Among the options, Xperia S has the lowest price, the design is very good, the CPU is "good enough" (I wouldn't need a quad core anyway), but, I doubt that Sony will provide extended support. By extended support I mean jellybean 4.2 and key lime pie. Jellybean 4.2 is possible but key lime pie is most probably a no go. I still strongly prefer Nexus devices but only 16 GB is definitely not enough.
1st December 2012, 03:17 PM |#1129  
Felimenta97's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Ribeirão Preto
Thanks Meter: 2,328
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1l4droid

Honestly, I kinda like Sony skin. It's more minimalistic compared to touchwiz and sense. But I still prefer stock Android. Among the options, Xperia S has the lowest price, the design is very good, the CPU is "good enough" (I wouldn't need a quad core anyway), but, I doubt that Sony will provide extended support. By extended support I mean jellybean 4.2 and key lime pie. Jellybean 4.2 is possible but key lime pie is most probably a no go. I still strongly prefer Nexus devices but only 16 GB is definitely not enough.

I'm also not sure about KLP, but who knows? They were, on 2011, the only OEM to update all their phones (except Play, for good reasons) to update all their decides to ICS. No other OEM did that.

Sony skin is good, indeed. Simple, minimalistic and modern (no bright colors all over the UI). About 16 Gb, and to think I only had 2 Gb on my Micro SD that came with my X10 Mini Pro. Now the 32 Gb barely hold what I use. (In fact, it is 26 Gb on SD partition, 2 Gb for data, 1 Gb for system, 250 MB for Cache and rest for other stuff.)

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
1st December 2012, 06:26 PM |#1130  
Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 173
 
More
Question HTC One V v/s MicroMax A110 (Repairing v/s New Phone)
OK, I'm really confused now.
Got the HTC One V for me and I'm not happy with it. It's laggy, non-responsive, slow, FPS is not good and even the Benchmark is too bad.
And now, after all this the speaker is gone. Don't know what happened with it, but the sound is very, very low. Only if I remove out the back cover at the bottom, I can hear the sound. Remove the back cover and the Signal goes down. HTC Service says that I'll have to keep my phone for about a week but they're not sure if it'll come even in a month. I just can't keep the phone even for a single day.(Personal problems! )
NOW, I'm really impressed with the specifications and price of Micromax A110 and the Google Nexus 4.
I have 2 options now :
1) To give this phone for repairing in a mobile repairing shop. (not to the HTC Service 'cause I don't think I'll get it back soon. The Service Center is far away from me and they say the phone will first go to Chennai, then it'll get repaired and then some day it'll come back to me.). I'll give it to a nearby mobile repairing shop and pay the charges and void my warranty. Then I'll root it (ya it's still unrooted on Stock ROM and Stock Kernel), flash a good Custom ROM and Kernel and enjoy.
2) OR, I'll sell it if I get around Rs.10,000 from anywhere and buy Micromax A110 (forget about Nexus 4, my mom's not going to give me a single penny more).

SO, I'd like to get some advice that what should I do? Option 1 or 2?
AND, Who wins if One V v/s A110?
AND, What are the pros and cons of A110?
1st December 2012, 07:00 PM |#1131  
Dhiraj's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 343
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paresh Kalinani

OK, I'm really confused now.
Got the HTC One V for me and I'm not happy with it. It's laggy, non-responsive, slow, FPS is not good and even the Benchmark is too bad.
And now, after all this the speaker is gone. Don't know what happened with it, but the sound is very, very low. Only if I remove out the back cover at the bottom, I can hear the sound. Remove the back cover and the Signal goes down. HTC Service says that I'll have to keep my phone for about a week but they're not sure if it'll come even in a month. I just can't keep the phone even for a single day.(Personal problems! )
NOW, I'm really impressed with the specifications and price of Micromax A110 and the Google Nexus 4.
I have 2 options now :
1) To give this phone for repairing in a mobile repairing shop. (not to the HTC Service 'cause I don't think I'll get it back soon. The Service Center is far away from me and they say the phone will first go to Chennai, then it'll get repaired and then some day it'll come back to me.). I'll give it to a nearby mobile repairing shop and pay the charges and void my warranty. Then I'll root it (ya it's still unrooted on Stock ROM and Stock Kernel), flash a good Custom ROM and Kernel and enjoy.
2) OR, I'll sell it if I get around Rs.10,000 from anywhere and buy Micromax A110 (forget about Nexus 4, my mom's not going to give me a single penny more).

SO, I'd like to get some advice that what should I do? Option 1 or 2?
AND, Who wins if One V v/s A110?
AND, What are the pros and cons of A110?

Don't go for micromax . First of all you will not get any support from company ; no future update . 2nd they provide fake info like chipset config for their publicity ; until u root your device and check build.prop ; what you actually have. On the other hand HTC has great support . I have mmx and HTC both.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
device, new device, new phone, phone, tablet, what to buy, what to choose

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes